Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

Just now, Drunknok said:

Is there a definition of what makes a property "small", "medium" or "large"? There is a residence in the works right now, so that needs to be sorted out, but I also would like to have some guidelines for the future.

It's size ;)

Appr. 16x16 is small, 32x32 medium, and 48x48 is large.
And you do not need to make it square, but the number of studs should be in the ballpark. :)

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Not wanting to burst any bubbles, but as the lead Junk maker I figured I should through my info in. From the beginning of the game we were told that the Asian like countries were in the South. And I've had personal communication about this with Ska. So if you want to talk about the Bai'Pei or Towakan (those are the official Ska names) go ahead, but do know that their lands are South, not West.

Thank you very much for sharing this information, I was not aware hence my assumption they were to the west.

5 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

From the beginning of the game we were told that the Asian like countries were in the South. And I've had personal communication about this with Ska. So if you want to talk about the Bai'Pei or Towakan (those are the official Ska names) go ahead, but do know that their lands are South, not West.

@MKJoshA @SkaForHire

You got any more info on these, or on any 'major' nations still out there? At least the name and some general things, so we don't end up with two sets of NPC ideas nest to each other... this would just lead to frustration.

2 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

@MKJoshA @SkaForHire

You got any more info on these, or on any 'major' nations still out there? At least the name and some general things, so we don't end up with two sets of NPC ideas nest to each other... this would just lead to frustration.

I only know about the Asian cultures since I was specifically interested in them. I asked Ska and he gave me the details I shared here.

Just wondering if I am the only one who doesn't see the pictures of Capt Wolf and KotZ while browsing on my iphone. Pictures of members using Flickr are no problem.

And I do see those pictures when browsing on my computer...

5 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Just wondering if I am the only one who doesn't see the pictures of Capt Wolf and KotZ while browsing on my iphone. Pictures of members using Flickr are no problem.

And I do see those pictures when browsing on my computer...

I can see them just fine Maxim, although I may have experienced this problem as well. Does it just display a small text box with a bunch of numbers and letters (I think it's the URL) in it?

1 hour ago, Lord Buckethead said:

I can see them just fine Maxim, although I may have experienced this problem as well. Does it just display a small text box with a bunch of numbers and letters (I think it's the URL) in it?

Nope, just a white plain box as big as the picture is supposed to be with a number and some letters in it

Hello wanderers of the Brick sea!

A pigeon brought a message that my name was mentioned on this place.

Something about tags as a reward to won/participation of challenges. 
I was (and still am sort of) very enthousiastic about BoBS in the beginning, and submitted some work. Then offline life caught up with me, and the bricks remained in their bin for more then a year. For me to notice that BoBS has entered a second Era. 
I'm very happy that BoBS is still going and still enjoyed by lots of people. 

I would really like to have time to participate again, but I can tell you now I don't :( either I'm month at sea (I'm an actual real live sailor) or not at home due to other things. 

So I don't feel entitled to a tag, but if it was bestowed on me I wouldn't refuse it and be proud of it. 

The ship I ones started for BoBS is still a WIP, last week I moved my lego boxes and found and kept it half together. 

My character is still "alive" I'd say. (althouh I dont really know how many years have past in bobs and if that is possible) and still a Pirate ;) 

anyway thanks for tagging me, that already means alot. 
for all the people still building keep it up! I will be back some day. 

Greetings Bart 
(pirate captain Rodsh Derr)

If I have time for lego I occasionally spend it on LDD where I'm building a scale model of an old steamer I work on (link below)

@Bart Hello Bart! We are happy that you dropped by and say a hello! Of course life comes before BoBS anytime so don't worry! Your character here is alive and kicking (and we don't delete accounts like many mmorpg games do :tongue: ), so don't worry. You can come back anytime should you ever wish to do so. Btw nice steamer you are building there. Give us a notice when you finish it! For now happy traveling (even for work reasons), take care and always be happy!

Two questions concerning licensed plantations:

1. Do plantations have to be "pure", or can the be "mixed"? By a "mixed plantation" I mean something like a little farm, growing different things (e.g. potatoes, onions, some apple trees, some pigs, some chicken). Or does it have to be "one crop only"?
  2. This one is a bit more gamey. Does a MOC for a build have to exist in its entirety at a given time, or can I build it in stages, make pictures of each stage and only present the pictures as a result? As an example, take a medium plantation, and somebod who has enough parts to fill one 32x32 plate. Instead of one build for a small plantation, there are four different arrangements on that one plate, all photographed once finished, and then deconstructed for the next build. At no time is there a full 64x64 build, but there are pictures of four different 32x32 builds. Can that count as a medium plantation? Asking for a friend... :pir-look:
Edited by Drunknok

@Drunknok

Just now, Drunknok said:

Do plantations have to be "pure", or can the be "mixed"? By a "mixed plantation" I mean something like a little farm, growing different things (e.g. potatoes, onions, some apple trees, some pigs, some chicken). Or does it have to be "one crop only"?

Sure you can do a mix - as long as you stick to the size minimum, it will count as one plantation (or any other type of property). However, if you want to go for a certain (so far only island-) bonus, your build has to center around that particular commodity/good/crop, etc.

5 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

This one is a bit more gamey. Does a MOC for a build have to exist in its entirety at a given time, or can I build it in stages, makes pictures of each stage and only present the pictures as a result? As an example, take a medium plantation, and somebod who has enough parts to fill one 32x32 plate. Instead of one build for a small plantation, there are four different arrangements on that one plate, all photographed once finished, and then deconstructed for the next build. At no time is there a full 64x64 build, but there are pictures of four different 32x32 builds. Can that count as a medium plantation?

Sure. After all, you do build the required size MOC. If we didn't allow this, we'd create an unfair advantage for those players with huge brick collections.

6 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Asking for a friend... :pir-look:

:grin:

11 hours ago, Drunknok said:
  1. Do plantations have to be "pure", or can the be "mixed"? By a "mixed plantation" I mean something like a little farm, growing different things (e.g. potatoes, onions, some apple trees, some pigs, some chicken). Or does it have to be "one crop only"?

Sure! This has been licensed as a plantation (medium if I remember correctly). I think I even licensed this one as a plantation (deer-hunter).
I'd say: Construct a quality-MOC, take photos, publish it - and then think about the category. Every MOC will find a decent match in the EGS-categories, which are really rather guidelines than anything else. Just don't go too far fetched, and you will be fine.

11 hours ago, Drunknok said:
  2. This one is a bit more gamey. Does a MOC for a build have to exist in its entirety at a given time, or can I build it in stages, make pictures of each stage and only present the pictures as a result? As an example, take a medium plantation, and somebod who has enough parts to fill one 32x32 plate. Instead of one build for a small plantation, there are four different arrangements on that one plate, all photographed once finished, and then deconstructed for the next build. At no time is there a full 64x64 build, but there are pictures of four different 32x32 builds. Can that count as a medium plantation? Asking for a friend... :pir-look:

What would not work is the same scene with just minor adaptions, like different minifigures. What might work is the same scene in four seasons. What will definitely work is four different pictures of four different scenes, adding up to the required size. Also keep in mind: Sizes are rather guidelines (except for Royal Properties). So if you end up with 58x62 and still go for the Large License things should be perfectly fine. (However a plain plate with 80x80 and nothing else but 5 cows on it would not even qualify as a small plantation for me). Just build quality MOCs, and you will be fine.
Also splitting MOCs up is quite common, especially in collaborations, like this one.

Thank you for the detailed anwsers! My ideas for one small and one medium plantation are fine then. Excellent news to me!

Just now, Drunknok said:

what category do things like doctors or fire brigades belong to?

That sort of depends on what twist you want to give your creation...

Could be seen as educational, maybe artisan - just try using build and story to explain why you choose what :classic:

1 hour ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

That sort of depends on what twist you want to give your creation...

Could be seen as educational, maybe artisan - just try using build and story to explain why you choose what :classic:

I think both could work for a doctor, while I feel both are not that good a match for a fire brigade. I guess I will include some scene where the fire fighters lecture a local or some kids, and call it an educational building - I really do not see them as artisans!

3 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I think both could work for a doctor, while I feel both are not that good a match for a fire brigade. I guess I will include some scene where the fire fighters lecture a local or some kids, and call it an educational building - I really do not see them as artisans!

Doctor's offices have been established as Artisans.

Fire fighters? I would go for artisan too. They are doing something, so It kinda fits. 

But feel free to shoehorn in an educational tag for the Corrington property bonus

No, don't "feel free" to shoehorn anything. That's not how we play the game. Pick the one that fits the best. Typically, governmental buildings are cultural, so that could be an option for the firefighters.

If some sort of education of the fire brigade is going on (yes, you guessed it - educational) and if the the doctor does research it can be educational. But other than that I would say it's skilled labour, thus artisan.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

No, don't "feel free" to shoehorn anything. That's not how we play the game. Pick the one that fits the best. Typically, governmental buildings are cultural, so that could be an option for the firefighters.

If some sort of education of the fire brigade is going on (yes, you guessed it - educational) and if the the doctor does research it can be educational. But other than that I would say it's skilled labour, thus artisan.

Except if the firefighters charge money, than it is commerce

Per the rules, artisan was always supposed to include services, and firefighting/fire brigade seems to fit that better than anything.

Glad I asked first, an interesting discussion. :thumbup:

Artisan it is then. I'm not looking for the "best bonus", but for the most fitting category.

So... ähm... let's do this: *clears throat*... TAGS! ERA I TAAAAAAGS!! Get them while they're still fresh!!!

Here's how it works:

These Era tags are meant to be used in your signatures. Faction tags will follow, and hopefully soon appear below your profile pic :wink:

Now, check the list below (thanks a lot, @Ayrlego :classic:), see if you are eligible for any tag, download it, and treat it just like any other picture you'd like to post on EB.

Your signature can be changed by going to Account Settings, Signature.

Just fyi, you can add/remove a link to/from a picture by posting it, then edit that post, ctrl + right click on picture, Edit Image/Remove Link.

Gold - For winning an Era I challenge category

Gold - For participating in every Era I challenge

Silver - For at least 1 entry in an Era I challenge

and of course you are only awarded the highest level tag that you qualify for!

Challenge Winners (Gold)

Ch1CatA @Bregir

Ch1CatB @Faladrin

Ch2CatA @Ayrlego

Ch2CatB @Kolonialbeamter/ @Ayrlego

Ch3CatA @Ayrlego

Ch3CatB @Capt Wolf

Ch4CatA @Ayrlego/ @Kolonialbeamter

Ch4CatB @Ayrlego / @Bregir

Ch5CatA @Ayrlego

Ch5CatB @Garmadon

Ch5CatC @Kolonialbeamter / @MKJoshA

Ch5CatD @Garmadon

Ch5CatE @Ayrlego

Ch5 Overall @Maxim I

Era One Participation in Every Challenge (Gold)

Corrington

@Brickwolf, @Ayrlego,

Eslandola

@Maxim I, @Faladrin, @Legostone,

Oleon

@blackdeathgr, @Franco Clarke,

Sea Rats

@dr_spock

Era One Challenge Participation (Silver)

Corrington

@Simon_S Ch1CatB,

@Tomsche Ch1CatA, Ch4CatA,

@Bregir Ch1CatA/B, Ch2CatA, Ch4CatA/B, Ch5CatA/B/E,

@CelesAurivern Ch1CatA/B, Ch2CatA/B,

@Puvel Ch1CatA/B, Ch2CatA/B, Ch3CatA, Ch5CatC,

@SilentWolf Ch1CatA/B, Ch2CatA/B, Ch4CatA, Ch5CatA/E

@Mike S Ch1CatA/B, Ch2CatA/B, Ch5CatA,

@Brickwolf Ch1CatA, Ch2CatA/B, Ch3CatA/B, Ch4CatA, Ch5CatA,

@Ayrlego Ch1CatA/B, Ch2CatA/B, Ch3CatA, Ch4CatA/B, Ch5CatA/B/E,

@BrickOn Ch1CatA, Ch2CatA/B,

@SkaForHire Ch1CatA, Ch2CatA/B,