• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Etzel

Etzel

• Me Want Ducky!!!!

Member: 2625

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

The Kaliphlin capital of Petraea is the centre of trade and administration in the south. People from all over the world gather here and even some adventurers from the cold northern regions of Mitgardia ends up here. Therefore, the northern guild has put up an embassy in Petraea to assist their countrymen in need.

Posted Image
The embassy is located not far from one of the many city gates in a neighbourhood that hosts both wealthy and poor.

Posted Image
The Petraean City Guards are dressed in the Kaliphlin Guild's colours, red and dark blue, colours that also can be seen on several houses in the city.

Posted Image
Even though the Kaliphlins are usually hard working people, some lazy bums can be found in every society.

Posted Image
Southern decadence in one of the more wealthy houses.

Posted Image
The Northmen's house got a nice view, situated on top of a small hill. The strong sunshine quickly fades away the colours so repainting is always needed.

Posted Image
From the left we can see some stairs leading up towards the higher level of the city.

Posted Image
Back side, and a better view of the embassy.

Posted Image
And here we have the ambassador himself, drenched in sweat. Not only because of the heat but also because he's having a hard argument with a local resident of high status.

Posted Image
View from the right.

Posted Image
An aerial shot of the neighbourhood from the highest tower.

Many more photos can be found in my Flickr here: LINK

Thank you for checking out this MOC of mine. I've never built anything with so many angles, and it was very challenging to make it all fit together. But I'm quite pleased with the result and especially with how the brown house with the red roof on the wall turned out. I find it very fun to look at it IRL with all its different houses and small areas, I hope I've been able to catch at least some of that with my photos.

#2 Khorne

Khorne

• I will not torment the emotionally frail - Nevermind

Member: 284

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wow, just wow :oh: . There's so much to take in, so many details to look at. This is a great MOC! It really gives that big, busy city in some hot country vibe. It's superb! My favorite detail has got to be the microfig sitting between the windows of the embassy, nice :thumbup: .

flickr | brickshelf | Holmgang Wiki

Playing as Eric in Heroica RPG
Posted Image

#3 Hyler Talliwell

Hyler Talliwell

• Master Sculpturer

Member: 25152

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

Wow! At first I thought that this was forced-perspective, but theen when it was minifigure scale I liked it even more. You have represented well. Awesome work. Posted Image

#4 Balthasar

Balthasar

• Nocturnus Cartographer

Member: 24144

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Holy crap dude, there is so much to see here! So many colours, so many angles. It takes at least 20 pictures to show everything that's going on. I can imagine the pain to get it all fixed.

Do people get lost in your embassy?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Count Balthasar Nero of the Nocturnus Guild ~ embassy in Mitgardia ~ interactive map of the Eastern Darklands

#5 Fat Tony

Fat Tony

• By the power of Bleyskull!

Member: 1544

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Amazing! You didn't just build an embassy, you built a section of a busy city! So many details to notice, that is great!

Two questions, why does the embassy have a chimeny in the desert? Is there anything under the embassy (inside the hill)?

Well done!

#6 Etzel

Etzel

• Me Want Ducky!!!!

Member: 2625

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostFat Tony, on 08 February 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Amazing! You didn't just build an embassy, you built a section of a busy city! So many details to notice, that is great!

Two questions, why does the embassy have a chimeny in the desert? Is there anything under the embassy (inside the hill)?

Well done!
Thanks, I'm happy you liked it.  :sweet:
The embassy has a chimney because that's an essential part of a house in Mitgardia. I wanted the embassy to have a typical Mitgardian style even though it was placed in a completely different environment then usual. Therefore the chimney, the steep roof and wooden planks.
Unfortunately there is nothing underneath the embassy. :sad: I built up a structure to get the elevation right and not after I had built a lot on top of that I realized that I could have made something of that space. And then I didn't want to break down what I had done and start over. A good idea, but I thought of it too late.

#7 Maxim I

Maxim I

• Hippy kicker

Member: 22634

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

you really are succesfull in capturing a whole part of a city in 48x48!!! Really great job!

Also nice play with perspectives and heightdifferences!

I certainly can tell this is our glorious capital of Petraea. Very nice job!

Lord Damaximus of Stedor, loyal to the guild of KALIPHLIN!

East Stedor  - West Stedor

Posted Image   Posted Image
my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/76053512@N04/

#8 rucorder

rucorder

Member: 18434

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Whoa... I'm in awe!
This is just fantastic, the angles are amazing!
~Ru

#9 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

As I said on swebrick, this moc is just sweet!  :classic:

So many details and angels! Great work! All the minifigs are spot on and their posing and heads are excellent!

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#10 Basiliscus

Basiliscus

Member: 890

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Brilliant entry. Fantastic variety of buildings!

Wahil Musca, slaver and entrepreneur of Kaliphlin, ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

Latest MOCs
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

Flickr

#11 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Great embassy, good to have you on the Mitgardian side! I like because there's a lot of minifig action. Also a lot of details, like the staircase on the right!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#12 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

I really like this!  The use of colour, the composition and variety of buildings, and the minifig scenes are all superb.  There are many lovely details, the domes and stairs, the use of water and greenery that typify our beautiful capital stand out.  Definitely this is more than the sum of its parts.  I also thought it was forced perspective, the scale is highly unusual in that all of the buildings and rooms are tiny really if they are to minifig scale, but it is very effective.  Great build!
:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Fat Tony

Fat Tony

• By the power of Bleyskull!

Member: 1544

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostEtzel, on 08 February 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Thanks, I'm happy you liked it.  :sweet:
The embassy has a chimney because that's an essential part of a house in Mitgardia. I wanted the embassy to have a typical Mitgardian style even though it was placed in a completely different environment then usual. Therefore the chimney, the steep roof and wooden planks.

Makes sense.

View PostEtzel, on 08 February 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Unfortunately there is nothing underneath the embassy. :sad: I built up a structure to get the elevation right and not after I had built a lot on top of that I realized that I could have made something of that space. And then I didn't want to break down what I had done and start over. A good idea, but I thought of it too late.

Too bad, I was hoping for catacombs or a sewer system. Still, an amazing job!

#14 SkaForHire

SkaForHire

• Historica's Fortune Teller

Member: 759

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

WOW!!!!!!

My first impression was that this was much like the Morocco Pavilion at Epcot in Disney World. It twists and winds, and there are many small structures that look small from far away, but really magnify themselves when you get up close. I love that you made a whole section of the city, and this is exactly how I imagine our capital looking like as an ancient city that continues to grow. A street thug in a sewer in that hill area would have been awesome... but still, I really love this build. I think this should win your guild many points - and you guys already have some really fabulous entries already.

Blah, I am kind of ashamed of what I am going present after seeing stuff like this. However, you did convert me to a believer in flat panels... I will have to invest in a lot more I think.
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."

Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#15 Flint

Flint

Member: 25170

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

I can join in the praise above. Really cool how you capture so many things and on a relatively small plate without making it look bad. It even adds to my idea of the city and its vibe. Everything looks splendid. Well done!
Flint - Buraindo Monk
Mitgardian Lore Master
Posted Image

#16 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Member: 18031

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

This is beautiful. I love the colors and tiling. There is so much going that I don't know where to look! :thumbup:
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#17 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

The first thing that caught my attention was the many different styles you used with the different builds, giving this a totally cosmopolitan feel.  I really like the originality of this MOC, and it captures the whole city feel.  Great job with this, There is just so much going on here!  :thumbup:

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

It is an angular masterpiece Etzel!  
I quite like all the angles colours, the angles detail and the angles fact that it looks quite lively.  :laugh:
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#19 Sirens-of-Titan

Sirens-of-Titan

• Future tiler

Member: 4341

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Wow Etzel!  :wub: I give you 10/10 for creativity, the numerous angles, designs and beautiful buildings throughout really make this a marvel to behold. Not only have you created an amazing embassy, you've added a lot of richness to the world of the South!  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

From your vibrant color choice, to your intricate mosaics to those brilliant stair cases and perfectly-outfitted mini-figures this build is eye candy throughout! Very well done sir!
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."
— Terry Pratchett

My MOC Pages
My Flickr

#20 Gabe

Gabe

• Green capital G

Member: 12135

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Wow, this is stunning Etzel! I love your approach of creating a whole neighbourhood to set your embassy in. All the different angles and levels and colours and details are almost overwhelming, yet the whole has a pleasing sense of unity. I'm particularly fond of the left side view with the curving stairs. :thumbup:
Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#21 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

So, I have to say first that I love this build!  The entire embassy is so well detailed that it just draws you in.  But, the two comments I really want to make are: 1. I am very jealous of the brown grass pieces...I hope Lego makes more of those! 2.  The face on the dude in the bathouse is priceless!

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#22 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Wow.

The build is fantastic. Great details everywhere. The thing that I really love is the sense of SCALE. I don't recall the last time I saw a Minifig scale MOC of this size that feels so BIG.

Very nicely done.

And what a fantastic city to build it in  :laugh: :wink:
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#23 Smack

Smack

Member: 10092

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

I hope I don't get in any trouble for the little bump here but I just had to comment on this work.  There is so much going on in this MOC that I wouldn't know where to begin.  I love the elevation changes and the different structures that seem to fit perfectly in spite of their differences.  One of my favoite MOC's to date.

#24 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa

Member: 14331

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

So much greatness with this one. If I had to pick a favorite part, it would be the design of the embassy building itself or that little building on the top left (from the front view). I am so much impressed by the amount of nice stuff you managed to fit in the 48x48, astounding.

Loving the little scenese you set up, they are full of life.  :thumbup:

#25 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Whilst scoring all the great entries, I just had to comment on this absolute beauty Etzel, amazing angles and perfect colours to reflect the desert landscape, well done!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users