I have just finished building the F1 McLaren and Mustang. It took me around 50 mins per car. I like new wheels in F1 car. They're amazing. Prints are in really good condition. Okay I have to say that my stickers wasn't pre-cuted (I don't know how is it even possible) and I have to use scissors :sad:

Thankfully everything else was perfect. 

Maybe F1 doesn't have any specific/interesting techniques but overall is really cool. But I have to say that wheels in real life look smaller than in photos/videos.

Ford Mustang is also amazing and I noticed few really cool and interesting techniques (front, bonnet, rear). Colour and stickers matching is perfect. 

And... I know I doubted in new windscreen colour but I have to say is cool. And yes, better than old trans-brown.

On 2/27/2024 at 3:05 AM, prototyp said:

Do the LMP's 4x1 cut-tip slopes have their pairs hidden somewhere? (upper surfaces above the headlights, black-left white-right)

Yeah, they are inside of the model, where the engine should be. They really provide the full L+R set of new slopes.

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 1:35 AM, Void_S said:

Yeah, they are inside of the model, where the engine should be. They really provide the full L+R set of new slopes.

That’s so cool of them to do. Makes these great alt-build parts-packs…

Picked up all four sets, have built the McLaren. I enjoyed the build, nice compact techniques with excellent shaping to the wing, sidepods, engine cover area. New wheels are cool. The tire material is super interesting and the Pirelli print is excellent, but they look very undersized for the model’s scale.

Edited by prototyp

I'm sure the question is not fully relevant here, for Speed Champions, but still, I will ask...

Are the new "slick" tires more "plastic" or "rubbish" in comparison with convenient SC tires, and have they better or worse grip?
My thoughts were that they could be all-plastic when I saw them for the first time, and now I see they are dual-molded, with rubber tires glued on.

36 minutes ago, Void_S said:

I'm sure the question is not fully relevant here, for Speed Champions, but still, I will ask...

Are the new "slick" tires more "plastic" or "rubbish" in comparison with convenient SC tires, and have they better or worse grip?
My thoughts were that they could be all-plastic when I saw them for the first time, and now I see they are dual-molded, with rubber tires glued on.

Well. They are rubber but it feels like (at least in my opinion) plastic. They're visibly harder than old dual-molded and in hands it feels like plastic. 

I'm loving the new tyres, and it's great to see that they do fit 2x2 round tiles in them! 

Pic of them on a MOC I've been working on:

53570084443_eed045d336_c.jpg

Also, thanks to @kbalage's review of the Dark Horse Mustang (love your YT channel), i went ahead and got a set, and was not disappointed!  A really enjoyable build!

6 hours ago, prototyp said:

Picked up all four sets, have built the McLaren. I enjoyed the build, nice compact techniques with excellent shaping to the wing, sidepods, engine cover area. New wheels are cool. The tire material is super interesting and the Pirelli print is excellent, but they look very undersized for the model’s scale.

They are very well-scaled for older 6-wide F1 cars though.

15 hours ago, Void_S said:

It is quite similar to last year's dual-molded tires, like the one on the Ferrari. The nail test leaves a similar mark on both, but the feel is a bit grippier on the slick tires, so it feels a bit more rubbery.

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

It is quite similar to last year's dual-molded tires, like the one on the Ferrari. The nail test leaves a similar mark on both, but the feel is a bit grippier on the slick tires, so it feels a bit more rubbery.

Nice to know it, thank you! I was afraid it would be a step-down if we got the wheels with the nice look but no grip.

Will there be more sets this year?

57 minutes ago, Salix said:

Will there be more sets this year?

Three more are said to be coming in June.

8 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Three more are said to be coming in June.

Do we know any details? Or just that it's 3 sets?

6 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

Fresh LEGO Speed Champions 2024 set rumours race into view (brickfanatics.com)

Apparently we're getting the Lamborghini Vision GT, An Aston Martin twin pack featuring an Aston F1 car and the Vantage Safety Car and a Mercedes twin pack featuring a Mercedes AMG GT Roadster and an AMG G63.

I would add that there were some rumors (not proved yet) that +2 sets will be in August, and they will be an 8-wide resize of the Ferrari F40 (a sports car, parts count similar to Mercedes AMG ONE) and NASCAR Camaro (ponycar, parts count similar to Mustang/Challenger/Charger).
I'm not sure about NASCAR, but Mustang and F40 are "must have" yet for me.

If those rumors are correct, this would be a big increase in number of sets in 2024 versus 2023

11 hours ago, Gzynek2323 said:

If those rumors are correct, this would be a big increase in number of sets in 2024 versus 2023

To be fair, 2023 had less sets (as well as individual cars) when compared to the years before that.

good point. @Salix

Looking at Brickset (excluding polybags)

2020 - 7 cars (2 double packs and 3 singles)

2021 - 9 cars (3 double packs and 3 singles)

2022 - 9 cars (2 double packs and 5 singles)

2023 - 6 cars (1 double pack and 4 singles)

2024 - 10 cars (3 double packs and 4 singles) + 2 additional ones if August rumors are true

What is the likelihood that the Lamborghini V12 GT coming in June will be 9 wide, like the McLaren Solus GT?

2 hours ago, nikeee516 said:

you guys think we'll see images of the June sets this month?

May 1st or after 15th.

After finishing all of this years SC cars, I have to say as usual the builds were all pretty enjoyable and I always appreciate new elements and interesting techniques. It is getting tough for me justify the expense anymore, since every new wave is significantly more expensive than the last. That's on me though and just a personal thing. However the stickers on the BMW canopy are a complete joke and is by far the worst experience I have ever had with stickers, coming from one who has never complained of stickers before. I truly hope this doesn't become the norm, as Speed Champions is like a rare gem in a sea of sand to me, really enjoy them and I think the designers did a great job this year. Thanks

25 minutes ago, McHaleBerg said:

Mercedes 2-pack image was leaked

Did they finally make a proper roadster windscreen?

2 minutes ago, carlo.fadel said:

Did they finally make a proper roadster windscreen?

Unfortunately not :(. 

LEGO-76924-leak.jpg?w=1280&ssl=1

Edited by Bartlomiej