Marooned Marin

[ENTRY] Sloop Windy (Mini Set)

Oh, i see You've already upgraded Your design and so i've made a mistake to throw too many of them ;)

But i still vote for the bag to go, paddles are more attractive and they bring color into the set. But maybe... maybe one of them could be replaced by a seagull? What do You think, as i proposed before, that he could chase a monkey, maybe a seagull would work even better, and he would use that paddle to fight it off, as she would try to steal the letter? :)

4 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

DESIGN UPDATE (morning after)

Ok, I found a new and better way to pivot the boom and made corrections on the original design. I used technic liftarm, pneumatic t-bar, and technic linker. Here be the images.

New%20pivot_2.png

I really like this solution to the pivoting boom issue!  Though it takes too many parts for the specific contest rules, it is a solution I will likely use with actual brick builds.

The solution below is a good compromise for limiting part count. 

3 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

BACK TO DESIGN / RE-DESIGN

Instead of the T-Bar I found this solution which reduces part-count by another 2x lift-arms (it comes in pearl dark gray).

Now only one part needs to go, but which one?

New%20pivot_3.png

I vote to eliminate one single paddle as all of the other elements seem important to complete the story.  Maybe the epaulets could be eliminated if the minifigure was a sailor rather than a soldier, but they are essential in my opinion for an Imperial Soldier minifigure.

There might be a solution with "2714a: Bar  8L with Stop Rings and Pin (Technic, Figure Accessory Ski Pole) - Rounded End" for the boom that might allow for reduction of one piece, but it makes the boom shorter.

Edited by Slegengr

@Slegengr you are a legend! Of course, the 8L bar with Stop Rings and Pin! :pir-thumb:

It does make the lower yard shorter, but not that much, and with that we have exactly 50x parts.

As for pivot solution, as you also noted, for my own build I will also go with pneumatic T-Bar and two lift-arms, but here in this ENTRY I will take the compromise as shown above.

@MstrOfPppts @Rogue Redcoat and @Mazin

Thank you for your vote and opinion on extra-part dilemma.

@Mazin

The trouble with seagull is, I don't know where to put it/attach it on the ship. He requires one free stud well away form the sailor. :pir-sceptic:

If I had two extra parts, I would rather add good old shark around the boat.

Sloop%20Windy%205%20-%2050parts_2.jpg

I think this is going to be final design, and with that I will move on to write and produce the mandatory comic book, and make new renders! :pir-triumph:

Can;t wait to see the comic book :) And Sea Wolf is a nice name for a ship, wonder if You will make a use of it in Your story :) 

rebrickable.jpg.33641c6f02c72f939abf737fc7b19115.jpg

I have made pdf instructions available for download on Rebrickable    

Yesterday I've ordered the parts, and eventually I will test both the design and the sails. At this moment the instructions come only with the A4 format ready-for-print untested sails template.

Also, this 'downloadable' version differs slightly from my ENTRY-version as I've added two additional lift-arms for more secure boom pivot solution, and a lantern on the mast.

Feel free to add more pieces and parts as you see fit during your assembly and play. :pir-triumph:

DOWNLOAD

This is a fun little boat. One thing to mention is that triangle sails don't need to have a bottom support bar. Instead tension from the wind on the sail and the sail tied to the boat with a rope is a enough to provide support. (Kind of like how a kit flights with a string holding it to the ground). That removing the bar and the couple support pieces and replacing it with a rope could reduce your part count if that is still and issue. Something like one of these:

Lateen-sail.jpg

On 8/21/2023 at 3:59 AM, durazno33 said:

One thing to mention is that triangle sails don't need to have a bottom support bar.

Thank yee kindly for your suggestion. :pir-huzzah2:

While this would save some parts, and indeed in real life sails don't have this kind of support, the trade-off is that the sail would fall down on the boat and looked flaccid - as there is no wind around to hold it blown upward. The 3xpiece support is there mainly to achieve the effect of a full blown sail.

UPDATE 24. August

-> Added new renders at the top of this topic

-> First version hidden inside the spoiler at the top

Perfect, and thanks for listening to the critics :) 

But... I see you chose the old minifigure instead of the new one on stud.io, any reason? 

3 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

But... I see you chose the old minifigure instead of the new one on stud.io, any reason? 

Darn!

I had two newly 'updated' files, one for Rebrickable (with few extra parts on the sloop, where I used new torso) and second for this contest, where it seems I completely forgot to update torso for new renders. :pir-sing:

Late, but hopefully not too late... A sweet little set that meets the criteria of the competition like no other. I think the comic-style presentation is very successful and it looks great next to the Eldorado. Good luck, dear MM.

Based on the information I have, Sloop Windy sailed second inside the Mini-Set building category. With so many captivating small entries I consider this to be a fantastic result. :pir-thumb:

The same can be said in regard to the Sin Island, which I honestly did not expect to outshine several other beautiful designs, but it did.

While we wait for the official announcement of the winners, I will take an opportunity here to give my sincere thanks to all of you who have taken time to support, comment and finally vote for one, or two of mine designs:

THANK YEE ALL! :pir-huzzah2:

While some used multiple votes opportunity to vote for themselves, some succumbed to 'tactical voting', and some flirted with suspicious dark voodoo illegal forces, SPECIAL THANKS goes to @kritch who not only voted for Sloop Windy, but also won the same category. That's admirable and worth highlighting! :pir-thumb:

@Marooned Marin Nice work and interesting to see how well it did after a bit of collaborative effort/suggestions for improvement and your marvelous rework!

It was interesting to watch the boat race in the mini set category; the wind must have slackened a bit near the end allowing the paddled outrigger to pull ahead and that shark-pulled tub to almost catch up!

Being limited to 5 votes each is necessary for the contest, but it would have been interesting to see everyone's thoughts on all the builds he or she liked instead of just the top 5 that received votes.  I know there are many builds in this contest that I really liked but did not receive one of my votes.

You're welcome. I've bought the Warthy Crab instructions for my sons a few years ago. From that time, you're one of my favorites. 

Edited by Barba Ross

14 hours ago, Slegengr said:

I know there are many builds in this contest that I really liked but did not receive one of my votes.

I think that this is something on which we can all agree. In any case, the whole contest and cooperation with fellow members was a most pleasant and fun experience. :pir-thumb:

12 hours ago, Barba Ross said:

I've bought the Warthy Crab instructions for my sons a few years ago. From that time, you're one of my favorites. 

Why thank yee, you've made my day with this comment. :pir-huzzah2:

I'm glad to inform you that a new ship design is well underway. I'm in the process of buying bricks and plates for a test-build, and if everything goes as planned, it will be revealed somewhere in late November.

I can only say, that it's a not-stingy-LEGO-style 3400 parts Re-Make of the most popular LEGO ship released in 1989, and then re-released somewhere in 2000.  :pir-triumph:

9 hours ago, thewatchman said:

My take which is infinitely less cool than the three in this thread so far!

It looks great just a bit chunky in a place or two namely the rudder and the mast but it is a great take on Marooned Marin's build :pir-thumb:

On 9/25/2023 at 5:05 PM, thewatchman said:

My take which is infinitely less cool than the three in this thread so far!

I think it's great. :pir-thumb:

While the thicker masts gives a chubby appearance, it makes it look more cute and playful. You know, like a chubby cat which melts hearts of random passerby.

I also like the completely new colour pallet. Black rowboat works well. 

Nitpicking alert: the flag is blowing in the wrong direction :pir-grin:

Overall, great re-make and thank you for sharing your result.

I received just today (after a month or so...) parts for my version and Sin Island. Hopefully I will share my real build soon. :pir-huzzah2:

4 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

I think it's great. :pir-thumb:

While the thicker masts gives a chubby appearance, it makes it look more cute and playful. You know, like a chubby cat which melts hearts of random passerby.

I also like the completely new colour pallet. Black rowboat works well. 

Nitpicking alert: the flag is blowing in the wrong direction :pir-grin:

Overall, great re-make and thank you for sharing your result.

I received just today (after a month or so...) parts for my version and Sin Island. Hopefully I will share my real build soon. :pir-huzzah2:

Can’t wait to see!

Eagerly awaiting all these phenomenal new builds.

Thank you for the kind words, that “chibi” look was what I was going for, monkey reading a map and all 🤣

I knew the flag was going the wrong way but it just looked wrong 🤣