It has been a while since the last vessel this size has left my shipyard. I'm gonna skip the talking and go straight to the pictures, as those say more then words:

26807100887_37ccdf1e01_b.jpg

26807101667_f714325ea4_b.jpg

26807101157_8461cc2d16_b.jpg

26807100487_05b313ce35_b.jpg

41674211391_d1347a015c_b.jpg

Bow:
26807100547_a249da6d11_b.jpg

Stern: 
26807100177_60e1cac193_b.jpg

So - whats going on here? I've teased the bow and stern a couple months back, and now (well, 1 1/2 months ago) I finally finished my largest Frigate to date.  The hull constructed entirely from old brown (inspired by @Captain Green HairLe Fleuron), pearl gold ornaments and lots of dark blue. Heavily inspired by the French Frigate La Comete.

Special thanks to the whole building group - @Sebeus I, @Imperial Shipyards, @Maxim I, @Exetrius, @Titus, @kabel who were around for quick feedback on the WIP and a special special thanks to @Captain Green Hair - who provided me with the sails from his original tutorial frigate!

Like a real ship, this ship has also been around places. 

It started in the train, traveling to Wetteren:
26623990617_78a3c407b5_b.jpg

Moved further in the car:
28508796088_a3a9179699_b.jpg

Got sails at @Maxim Is place:
28031959638_a0d5480d54_b.jpg

Was leading the line of battle at Wetteren:
28031934478_352384650b_b.jpg

Lived ontop of the shelf for a couple of days:
41479428225_cf64e76cd8_b.jpg

And went straight to the next exhibition:
27511684957_d9b0200034_b.jpg

And now its back on the shelf, lets hope it gets a bit of peace for a while :pir-laugh:

Your best ship so far, the bow rails and the stern are very well built, nice job! And it's good to see you guys working together.

That is an incredible MOC you have there, Legostone. The rigging is very detailed, the stern design is intricate, great colors, neat little boats, and an active crew. Overall, all the details come together to create a very nice ship. 

Hopefully it has many more exhibitions in its future. 

On 5/27/2018 at 3:24 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Errrr... what is to say... :look:

RHAAAAA LOVELY :thumbup:

On 5/27/2018 at 5:19 PM, Bodi said:

Your best ship so far, the bow rails and the stern are very well built, nice job! And it's good to see you guys working together.

Its always fun - even if its just for a couple hours over a weekend. Quick WIP feedback through Facebook is also useful...

On 5/28/2018 at 2:00 AM, Captain Genaro said:

That is an incredible MOC you have there, Legostone. The rigging is very detailed, the stern design is intricate, great colors, neat little boats, and an active crew. Overall, all the details come together to create a very nice ship. 

Hopefully it has many more exhibitions in its future. 

Thanks! I hope so too, but I'm just not sure how - I'll not take it in the train again, as that was an inconvenient nightmare on its own :pir-laugh:

What a beauty. I love the design, the details on the transom and the rigging/ropework.

An inspiration for me

I had seen your wip pictures, but I completely missed your posting of the finished product.

It's great! I love all the details you squeezed into her. 

Sorry for digging out such an old thread of mine. I need help deciding.

48694034616_2bd5e747ef_c.jpg

I've had this vessel (La Comete) for about a year now and now I'm contemplating what to I want to do with it. I've had it with me at 4 conventions by now, and due to travel - often by public transport - the rigging is badly worn. Its not super visible in the picture, but the foremast is bent badly and on the verge of falling over, the main is loose, the mizzen has fallen before  and the bowsprit keeps breaking off. 
Besides that, the sterncastle has been knocked off during one of the conventions and since the internal structure wasn't reachable isn't quite stable anymore.

Now, what to do? 
1 - tear down, new vessel
2 - tear down rigging, rebuild
3 - leave it be and enjoy it as long as it lasts
4 - complete rebuild but back to basically the same vessel (besides small tweaks)

5 - ?

I need to decide this within the next week since I have a couple weeks of time now where I can work on this...

You safely package her in a box and send C.O.D. to me ! Problem solved !

Its a really enjoyable ship ... I would hate to see her broken up but I know a grand ship would fill its place.

If your no longer attached to her I would suggest this ... However personally I would more like to see her reinforced  and rebuilt similar to original.  

She is a lovely ship indeed, but I'll go for 1. That's most inline with the spirit of Lego, and we get to see a new ship from your hands! ;)

It depends the time you've got for it

- If you've got plenty of time, you should probably tear it appart completely and rebuild a new vessel. Since there is internal structure damages, it could be for the best.

- If you don't have so much time at your disposition, a reinforcement of the masts and a total re rigging should do the work.

I hope I will see you at Brickmania Antwerpen this year with plenty of great ships ! :pir_laugh2:

Thanks a lot everyone! I think I'm gonna take your advice and tear it down. But not before I have an equivalently sized alternative ready, which is currently just missing rigging and sails (easier said then done - takes forever :pir-laugh:)

I look forward to seeing this alternative! Your ships will always bring great joy to my life and while it's sad to see such a beautiful vessel go, It's much better to take it down before it completely falls apart by itself; and besides, I'll always have pictures of her on my computer :pir-grin:

Sad to see such a beautiful ship be scuttled, but it is what it is. Can't wait to see the next one!

Give her a glorious end in battle! Take her on one more round of conventions, as part of a display showing ship to ship action :wink:

On 7 Sep 2019 at 6:42 PM, Legostone said:

Now, what to do? 
1 - tear down, new vessel
2 - tear down rigging, rebuild
3 - leave it be and enjoy it as long as it lasts
4 - complete rebuild but back to basically the same vessel (besides small tweaks)

5 - ?

I need to decide this within the next week since I have a couple weeks of time now where I can work on this...

As it happens, another option unfolded itself back in November 2019.

I purchased the Comete from Legostone in order to save it from certain destruction.

As I was restoring it to its glorious state I couldn't help making some minor modifications :grin:.

But I'll get to that later, let's show her off first.

img_0820.png

I felt tempted to do some changes on the sail plan. But as these are the original sails from Captain Greenhair's Build a Frigate Tutorial, I just couldn't do it, they have kind of a historical value, you know. (Knowing him he'd probably say; "to hell with that, loose the sails and make better ones!" :head_back:.

img_0825.png

img_0830.png

img_0834.png

img_0837.png

Ah, and there we have my first adaptation revealing itself. It's more of an add-on really. I thought there was room for that little bit more decorations on the stern and I also felt I needed to add something to distinguish this ship from its previous state.

img_0855.png

Note the addition of the pearl gold leaves to fill the rather large dark blue face. The skull ornament with crossed blades identifies this ship as a pirate vessel. The white stands out from the rest of the color scheme. Even I am not sure if it is really fitting. But it will do for now.

img_0862.png

img_0869.png

Aside from the pirate crest I also added a scruffy-looking pirate crew of course.

img_0881.png

I changed most details on deck as I wasn't too fond of the tan. I replaced them with reddish brown alternatives.

img_0884.png

I can imagine Legostone wouldn't have done this as he would have refused any reddish brown on board :head_back:.

img_0891.png

I replaced the capstan by a better looking but less functional one (it can't hold the bars).

img_0895.png

And you may notice I also moved the helm forwards.

img_0898.png

Which was needed to fit the small compartiment under the little roof.

img_0907.png

And that's about it, my other changes are hardly worth mentioning.

I've been thinking about renaming the ship as well, after considering HMS Corona for a few seconds I decided to leave it at La Comete II.

Sweet! - and congrats Seb on getting such an awesome ship! :pir-sweet:  Great to see this beauty get a new lease on life, and even some updates as well (like that skull and crossbones :excited: :pir-grin:!)

Nice additions, good pictures too!  I like the use of the gold leaves on the stern.

I think it suits better as a pirate ship! Good modifications as well, it is now even more a beauty to the eye :wub_drool: