Jim

[TC12] Technic Wacky Wheels Contest - Information Topic

TC12-WhackyWheels.png

TECHNIC WACKY WHEELS CONTEST
After a fierce battle bots competition it's time for a less serious competition. How about a Virtual Race through LEGO City using Wacky Wheels?!

DESCRIPTION
The Wacky Wheels competition is loosely based on the 1994 Arcade game by Apogee, which strongly puts the emphasis on fun instead of realism, both in looks and gameplay. Each contestant needs to have a wacky vehicle to participate in the most ludicrous race of the year. And you will be designing and building that vehicle! The first requirement for the vehicle is that it needs to have wheels or treads, since it is a road race! Your vehicle can be anything you want (also a boat, plane, etc), but it needs to have wheels, since it's a driving contest. The second requirement is that it needs to have at least one wacky function besides driving and steering. This function can be anything to gain an advantage in the race. Of course it can also be function to hinder your opponent. Anything goes!

Thanks to Erik Leppen for pitching this idea :thumbup:

DEADLINE
Deadline date is Monday 16th of October, 2017. Contest will be closed on Tuesday 17th of October, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each vehicle needs to have a WACKY NAME (no name, no entry).
  • Each vehicle needs to have at least a WACKY FUNCTION (besides steering and driving).
  • Your vehicle needs to have WHEELS and be able to drive. It can be a plane, boat, etc, but it still needs to drive during the competition.
  • Your vehicle needs to be able to STEER.
  • Only OFFICIAL LEGO PARTS.
  • 3rd party STRINGS, HOSES and RUBBER BANDS are permitted.
  • NO 3rd party tires.
  • There is NO size limit.
  • Model Team style building IS allowed.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are Jim is not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?
All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC12].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name.
  • Short description explaining the function(s).
  • One or more pictures (max 3 of max 1024x1024).
  • Embedded video (mandatory).
  • Link to the discussion topic.

VOTING
The voting criteria will be:

• Originality & Wackiness.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme etc).
  • Quality of the build.
  • Functionality.

PRIZES
The LEGO Group is so kind to provide the Top-3 contestants with a great Technic set. And of course, we will be so kind to award you with eternal fame and a medal tag.

QUESTIONS
We already prepared some questions which might arise.

1. Can I use third party parts?
Read the rules :wink: 

2. Can I make a boat or plane?
Read the rules.

3. Can I use PF and electronics?
Yes, you can. 

4. Can my Wacky use legs instead of the wheels and tires?
No, your vehicle needs wheels to drive.

5. Can my Wacky use spiked/horny/razor like wheels?
Yes, your vehicle can have any type of wheels. As long as it is able to drive.

6: Can my Wacky have skis? I wanna build a snowmobile! It already has treads! So I need only two skis! Can I?
Yes, it can. As long as you also have wheels or treads for driving.

7: My Wacky needs to be able to steer. What do you mean by that?
Your vehicle needs to have functionality to change direction, so there needs to be a steering mechanism.

8: My Wacky needs to be able to drive. What do you mean by that?
Your vehicle needs to be able to drive (roll) over a surface (road), manually (pushing) or using electronics (PF for example).

9: Can I have two/three Wackies that drive together but can be separated to confuse/crush opponent?
No, it needs to be a single vehicle (see next question for exception).

10. Can my Wacky have a trailer?
Yes, you can have a trailer. As long as it is attached to your Wacky and not a separate vehicle.

11. Can I make a model of a unusual real life car?
Yes you can, but be careful. No realism and no brand references (no Porsche, Lamborghini, etc). 

12. Can I make a model of a Cartoon characters vehicle from a Wacky Racer?
Yes, you can.

13. Can I make a model of a other cartoon character vehicles, like Flintstones car, or Batman car or XYZ video game car?
Yes, you can.

14. Can my Wacky use rockets, spikes, nets or other Carmageddon features?
Yes, most definitely.

15. Can I have fun during this competition?
Yes please!

Time to get my thinking cap on might be calling on my 6yr old niece and nephew for ideas for wackyness!

I am just going to focus on the start to my semester and not a wacky vehicle. Good luck to all the contestants! 

I may give this one a go; it seems fairly simple for a first competition, I should be able to build it with parts on hand and I have... oh wait, only 4/5 weeks. Hmm, I'll think about it. A good idea though, I can't wait to see other's entries even if I don't myself.

Also, I'm taking it actual speed of the vehicles won't come into the competition at any point?

Interesting theme! I see I have been credited for thinking it up, but it's quite different really. It's a race! Cool! It's pretty different from what I thought about when I wrote it, but it sounds a lot of fun.

Having this race narrows things down to vehicles that look like they can win something. So there's a game element that has been added. This is interesting, because it makes us think about how our vehicles will race against god-knows-what, in a race, and try to win. And we don't know how we should win - the rules of the race are probably wacky themselves too! I mean, maybe the winner of the race through Lego City is the vehicle that the City's inhabitants find the most fun.

But I have a question (that I don't see covered. Yes, I found a hole :wink:) It's said this is a driving contest. Does this mean that drive and steering must be remote-controlled? I.e. is it a driving contest between Lego builders? Or is it just a driving contest between the imaginary drivers sitting in our vehicles? And in the latter case, should our vehicle have a driver? (say, a minifig?)

But let's see what I can come up with. I have some vague ideas, but not sure yet about their wackyness.

Reminds me of Speed Racer. Hopefully there will be enought weekends in fall

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Interesting theme! I see I have been credited for thinking it up, but it's quite different really. It's a race! Cool! It's pretty different from what I thought about when I wrote it, but it sounds a lot of fun.

Having this race narrows things down to vehicles that look like they can win something. So there's a game element that has been added. This is interesting, because it makes us think about how our vehicles will race against god-knows-what, in a race, and try to win. And we don't know how we should win - the rules of the race are probably wacky themselves too! I mean, maybe the winner of the race through Lego City is the vehicle that the City's inhabitants find the most fun.

But I have a question (that I don't see covered. Yes, I found a hole :wink:) It's said this is a driving contest. Does this mean that drive and steering must be remote-controlled? I.e. is it a driving contest between Lego builders? Or is it just a driving contest between the imaginary drivers sitting in our vehicles? And in the latter case, should our vehicle have a driver? (say, a minifig?)

But let's see what I can come up with. I have some vague ideas, but not sure yet about their wackyness.

I believe your question is answered in point #8 of Jim's predetermined Q&A.

But this isn't completely clarified? Are legs with wheels allowed like on a tachicoma? Think tanks can both walk and drive using these multi-purpose legs.

1 hour ago, Xewyz2001 said:

Reminds me of Speed Racer. Hopefully there will be enought weekends in fall

Agreed:thumbup:

Hopefully I can participate. This looks like a super fun contest!

I was initially worried that I wouldn't be very interested in a wacky contest when I first learned of the theme. But after seeing it officially released I am pretty excited, and I think I have a good idea...

Hey Jim, does third party parts include SBricks? I'm not making any assumptions, just yet. Also, my entry will probably end up being more Mad Max or Redline than Wacky Races.

This will be such a fun and crazy contest! :grin: And I have already got some ideas...

But just one thing, I know videos are mandatory (and I can make one and link to it), but do I really have to embed them? (I'm not on youtube, and I don't want to join just for this)

Also shouldn't the end date be the 16th of October, not 16nd...

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

It's said this is a driving contest. Does this mean that drive and steering must be remote-controlled?

5 hours ago, crayondrifter said:

Can I enter a wacky that is not motorized? Or does there have to be PF?

Answer:

21 hours ago, Jim said:

Your vehicle needs to be able to drive (roll) over a surface (road), manually (pushing) or using electronics (PF for example).

Edited by mocbuild101

Yikes, I'm not really a great Technic builder, but this sounds like a ton of fun. I'll have to see if I can put something together.

Approximately 8-9 weeks actually ... closing date is October not September!

Jim can I request that the entry thread is open from the beginning of October as from the 7th I'm away on holiday.

just googled the apogee game and it's a Mario kart type game. Are you thinking something like those or something more like the Hanna-Barbera cartoon?

Edited by Seasider

My lastiest contest before I go to korean army :cry_sad:

Anyway, looks fun. But have still some question.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎8‎월 ‎15‎일 at 4:07 PM, Jim said:

7: My Wacky needs to be able to steer. What do you mean by that?
Your vehicle needs to have functionality to change direction, so there needs to be a steering mechanism.

Anyway you can change the direction of the vehicle, do you recognize it as steering device?

On ‎2017‎년 ‎8‎월 ‎15‎일 at 4:07 PM, Jim said:

4. Can my Wacky use legs instead of the wheels and tires?
No, your vehicle needs wheels to drive.

And, how about this type?

3 hours ago, msk6003 said:

And, how about this type?

For me looks compatible with regulations.

Just now, LvdH said:

I remember that game :laugh: I am expecting many creative builds this competition. 

I have a couple ideas, one involves four linear actuators, but not for a weapon...

I'm sure its a bit open to interpretation, but is there an environment we are 'racing' in? i.e is it like the Mille Miglia or cannonball run race were its open street with pedestrians cars etc.

sounds a silly question for a virtual race I know but this could influence the entry I try to build.

This is gonna be fun!

Btw, first korean I saw here (except me)!

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

My lastiest contest before I go to korean army :cry_sad: