The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Wish you the best of luck but the "investors"** will be in line long before everyone else, they'll buy all 5 the store got in stock and then turn around offer to sell you one for $270. 

**The term they prefer to be called lest they be made to feel bad about themselves.

That has not been the pattern for modern modulars. This will be available for at least two years which will dampen resale during that time, and there is little money in a quick flip after selling fees when something is guaranteed to be back in stock. Sensible investors will wait to combine with good offers at S@H. This is no UCS Falcon or Saturn V.

I've mentioned it before and I'm hypothesizing it now: The garish color scheme and departure from the previous modular norm may turn a lot of previous modular collectors away but after 3 or 4 releases of this 'new' style with more vibrant colors and expressive mini faces the prices on this one are going to increase via the year 2022 when people realize it fits in perfect with 'Modulars Volume 2 series' and realize their missed opportunity at not purchasing this one before it retired.  

Im imagining what I would do to make this a corner building, and here are my ideas:

-shorten the side of the building for normal side sidewalks on both sides
-make "diner" sign wrap around corner
-move tower to the front corner of the building, behind the diner sign
-have stairs to upper unit inside building
-make car into part of the building; have it bursting out of tower like this:
spangles---spangles-restaurants-no-5-wic

There I was posting a simple tongue in cheek deadpan satire response of another member's hypothetical desire for release day acquisition of a new set getting thwarted by a certain, specific type of Lego purchaser and its replied to in the most predictable way. 

The pictures on the LEGO site are lovely! And the top floor is apparently a recording studio, which would explain the singer. Although I'm sure one could easily transform it into a radio station? 

Also, the reverse print of the singer's head is hilarious! It looks like he's about to sneeze lol

Edited by Elysiumfountain

2 hours ago, Qahne said:

And true, we can change things as we like, but it doesn't mean we should have to. LEGO started including interior details because we complained about CC being empty, and they listened and now detailed interiors are a hallmark of the line. Changing it for no reason isn't a good thing IMO. Surprises can be either good or bad, and when you have a line of products that all share similar features, and you abandon them without a reason, that's a bad surprise I think. If they want a different route, fine, I understand, but don't treat it as being the same as before. If they  had a CMF line that was all simple classic figures, people would be mad because they know what a CMF line is and they have certain expectations, and I understand that, even though I prefer the classic look personally. I don't think it's hard to understand why some people aren't happy about this big change.

As to blending, these are all designed to be put together in a big layout, I personally think it's important that they manage to look good sat next to each other. In real cities this is often a consideration they have, and the colours here a bit too bright and plastic-y to fit next to the others. It would be better if it were a corner building so we could gradually see the colour get brighter on the edge and blend into more muted tones where it has to connect to the other buildings. 

a) This one is technically more furnished than PR, DO or even AS at some point. All three levels contains something - 1st: long bar, gumball machine, couches and tables, stools, Jukebox and kitchen area 2nd: boxing  ring, punching bag, training area with weights and water dispenser, 3rd: recording studio, armchair, little bar, and that recording soundproof room. Also that skylight window do actually open which is new feature. So what did you mean by changing attitude about detailed interiors? :)

b) DD is puted on a picture next to the AS and it fits nice. Actually better than CC next to DO or MS next to PC etc. 

You have right to not like what they did, but your arguments are plain. Or maybe you had unrealistic expectations.. as did I (I expect Police station or Museum or School). Or maybe you expect something "bigger" than AS in terms of references, easter eggs etc., or something like re-release of GG ... Lego always surprises...

It looks . . . . . . alright.  Though I think it would work much better as a corner building with a bit of modification.  Also, I don't like the fact that they've abandoned the classic face completely now.  I find this set a disappointment.  Thank goodness I've got so many old faces with the basic look.

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Im imagining what I would do to make this a corner building, and here are my ideas:

Great idea for the car, think I'm gonna try that, but would do a corner with a set of two boxes rather than one

and I will get rid of that diner sign, the purpose is obvious enough to me

Edited by Sunseeker21

I was a little iffy based on the early leaked photo, but I have to say I am really impressed by the official set reveal. The interior spaces are what sell it for me… not splitting up the baseplate into multiple buildings allows for much more detailed/realistic interiors. Granted, they’re still undersized, but the core elements of a diner, gym, and studio are all there, without feeling shoe-horned in…  there even seems to be a luxurious amount of space in the diner level… 

I was never particularly attached to the old-style smiley faces — aside from Emmett, they just don’t convey enough personality to me, and remind me too much of the lack of detail in Playmobil figures — so for me, the switch to modern faces is a welcome one. And they allow a lot more in the way of story to come through in the set. The alternate faces of the weightlifter and recording artist are great additions that would never have been possible with old-school smileys.

I’m also impressed with some of the architectural flourishes on the left side of the model… the spiral staircase, the wrap-around awning, the drainpipe and tiered terraces all give needed detail to the more understated light tan areas. I know others have found fault with this section of the building, but I think it serves as a nice bridge to the older modulars, and gives the impression of an older building that has been partially renovated to a newer “moderne” style. 

The fuchsia and teal may be a bit loud, but they’re absolutely the right choice for this as a standalone set. I do not understand people griping about the colors… it’s like watching House Hunters and seeing a buyer reject a house because the walls are the wrong color… just paint them!  It shouldn’t be that hard or that expensive to swap out a few bricks for more muted equivalents. 

I am eager to see the designer video, and I hope they don’t wait until the set is released to post the video. Jamie or whoever designed this should be really proud of their work. I’m curious how much they accentuate (or even acknowledge) the differences between this set and the previous modulars, and whether they approached it as a deliberate new direction/evolution for the line, or just a one-off detour like the Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema, etc. 

My guess is this set sells very well. It has a lot of curb (shelf) appeal and — without meaning to appear sexist — should attract younger female buyers of Friends sets to the fold, since it can reasonably fit in with that line of toys.

I'm happy overall with the new Diner.  I'm going to try to avoid watching the video and looking at the detailed pics - since I think it spoils some of the surprises when you build it.

Disappointed that the smiley faces have gone, hope that Lego continue to produce for many years so they're easy to get hold of.  But agree AS was end of old era and last of smiley face, the new heads will help sell more I think.

Dark turquoise is extremely bright though - it will really stand out next to the others.  I had a modified PS built where I replaced the 6 wide green/grey awning with dark turquoise.  But even that was so bright I changed it to something else.  So it might not be for a few years when other colourful modulars come out that the overall look settles down.  Even an all-lime minifig adds more brightness than we're used to.

I like that they are changing the building widths, the main building is 2 studs wider than PR.  Nice to have different heights and widths!  Maybe a lower building of a baseplate and a half in future!?

23 minutes ago, blackknightrises said:

Has anyone else thought that the boxers hairpiece in black would be great for a new Sirius Black minifigure?

It already comes in black from Chief O'Hara from the Lego Batman Movie...

I like it. And I'll definitely be buying it.

BUT, I hope that the 2019 Modular is a single purpose building. I want one, big building done really well, whether it's a police station, post office, museum, library, school, cottage hospital, apartment building or something else. I understand that "variety is the spice of life" and I guess it's more interesting for the designers to have multi-purpose buildings, but I miss the older, grander structures like Town Hall, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium.

I'm not sold on the unique faces, although it's a pretty good justification for adding more CMFs to my Modular street. And I don't love the open stairs on the LHS. I'm thinking about adding a 16 x 32 baseplate with some greenery and outdoor seating for the diner on the LHS. Maybe even a car park or two for the carhop to deliver meals to.

Otherwise, I think this is going on the RHS of the Detective's Office. It seems to fit the ramshackle, American vibe of the DO better than any of the other Modulars.

I am pleased that the "story" isn't so obvious, unlike the money laundering and drug (cookie) smuggling from prior sets.

Very happy to see that the Diner is real.  I love the design and concept.  I also love the use of modern heads in place of the simple smile, though I do feel that at least 1 simple smile would have been nice to include.

I'm still a bit underwhelmed by this set after seeing the official pictures. Not sure if I'll pick it up at this point (which will be a first for me with the modular series)

There are clearly some nice features (the wraparound diner window, the snot brickwork and most of the interior) but other parts of it just look off to me (the diner sign and windows in the 2nd/3rd floor tower section especially)

Maybe @LegoSjaak 's photoshop mods will show off its true potential - can't wait to see those !!

I dig the new images. I love this set. Granted it may not be for everyone but it's awesome for what it is.

For all the parts nerds I recognize the following parts issued in Dk Turquoise:

Obviously the WV rims, the 2x4 curved double slope

Also: 1x4, 1x3 bricks, 1x2 tiles, curved tiles 2L and 4L, and I think there is plate included as well inside. I was hoping for 1x1 brick or 1x2 brick but I guess that will have to wait.

I'm hoping to start a new wave of customs with this set, since it fits perfectly in a Miami themed layout.

I must say that I like it very much. Something different, which I think is good.

I only don't like the boxing ring on the first floor. It is nicely done, but I simply don't like boxing in general.

10 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I already put a car in the wall with the Palace Cinema...

12.jpg

On 27/11/2017 at 6:16 PM, 8BrickMario said:

I was also a little suspicious that the stairs meant the Diner's walls didn't rest flush with the neighboring buildings on both sides, but the Parisian Restaurant did similarly, so maybe it's not too much of a stretch.

You've just made me change my mind about whether to get this! I simply have to put PR next to DD, and then there's no problem with the gap between the two.

I might also point out that the car in the diner set is on the side where there would be a modular building with more of them.

Edited by Vilhelm22

23 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

I would suggest you use a lot of chili-sauce....haha...

A lot of spice. :laugh_hard:

The Diner looks so much better with official pictures. Only complaint I can think of, and it's minor, is that the 2nd & 3rd floors look small on top of the Diner. But an amazing modular. Xome on designer video. :wub_drool: