Posted (edited)

Hi all!

After a five year long break, I’m back with yet another manual 1:10 car. This time not a custom car, but a Dakar rally car (technically a buggy) modeled after an actual car.

001a_1.jpg

This is supposed to be a Peugeot 2008 DKR, the comeback of Peugeot to the Dakar rally in 2015. The comeback was not successful in the race, but the concept was. Its successor owned the Dakar in the following years because of the following innovative idea: Rear wheel drive instead of the usual 4 wheel drive. This allowed the car to enter in the buggy category with less restrictions.

Anyways, my model’s story is analogous because it was supposed to be my great comeback, but didn't turn out to be that good that I wanted.

Features:

• Independent suspension, with pushrod on the rear 
  • Mid mounted V6 fake engine 
  • Detailed engine bay
  • 4-speed sequential gearbox and D-N-R selector. Used the stepper mechanism by Didumos
  • HOG steering with working steering wheel
  • Built-in car lifts that can be operated with a small separate tool. It’s operated with a linkage instead of a worm screw mechanism, so it’s not able to lift the car without help, but it’s quickly deployable. I think it’s a good compromise for better playability.
  • Everything opens
  • SPARE WHEELS!!!1

Spare wheels is the main feature of the model because it was the mostest biggest challenge in the whole g… model. I had to ditch adjustable suspension, wheel wells (which is a characteristic visual feature in such high cars), advanced suspension geometry and a stiffer chassis in order to make space for the spares. I redesigned the front suspension from zero at least five times.

The gearbox:
Sux. For some reason the gearbox stopped working smoothly in first gear when pushed forward, and I never found the cause. Unfortunately the design by @Anto came late, it would have been a perfect fit for the model. As the real car has 6 speed sequential gearbox, and obviously no need for a separate D-N-R selector.

Design highlights, experiences, misc:

• Rollcage. I will make some poorer quality pictures when I’ll have time.
  • This is my first time apart from my very first MOCs that was completely designed without CAD. No proper computer, no time etc.
  • My first model with system pieces not just for tiny details. I think it turned out pretty well.
  • I only used photos as reference, the blueprints that were available were obviously wrong. After almost finishing the model, I realized that I should have simply bought a diecast model for reference. Maybe for my next MOC.
  • My first experience with the flipflop beams.
  • Stickers. Over multiple pieces. Don’t hate me too much.
  • Didn't pay that much attention to everything being in system.
  • Durable, at least 100 people played with the model at an exhibition
  • It’s hard to estimate the work hours, there were days when I only worked on it for five minutes, weeks without any work, etc. It is about 160…200 hours.
  • The suspension stiffness/bounciness is perfect, my best yet

Overall I still don’t know if I’m satisfied or not. The biggest problem is that the model isn’t really recognizable, though the task was not easy, because the original car is not that characteristic either.

I hope you like it anyway and sorry for the sloppy writing, I’m always in a rush these days.

VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/ka_mlEmMxNk?si=S0ZGd-FXzU5pUteE

001b_1.jpg

002_1.jpg

005_1.jpg

014_1.jpg

015_1.jpg

017_1.jpg

018_1.jpg

019_1.jpg

020_1.jpg

028_1.jpg

029_1.jpg

Edited by Lipko

Just great! The details are awesome and the functions are excellent too!

And sorry for this question, but it will have instructions?

You say your model is not recognisable. But I think it's great and perfectly recognisable. What a beautiful model!

Brilliant Model and VERY recognisable! Front-Page material :D

Impressive detail level. Good look also. I like, that you dindn't forgot about integrated hi-jacks.

Posted (edited)

Well done (again), Lipko! Love the video showcasing the suspension, those new shock absorbers seem perfect for such models.

Edited by Zerobricks

Very nice job! The body shaping and color scheme are both very nice, and it's got some interesting features as well, especially those jacks!

This looks fantastic!  The paneling flows really nicely.  I love the details, and the radiators are a nice touch.

Amazing build, beautifully shaped, the color scheme is great, and the openable parts are also cool plus all the internal details. It has a really great stance. I also think it's recognizable :)

I like that you added some unusual features. I was initially wondering what you did with all the empty space under that big shell, but man, those spare wheels take it all up..

This is simple: there have been so many similar MOCs over the past decade that if I had to make list of the MOCs I am fascinated about, there would be two. Yours is the third one. :wink:

One question: are you really serious when you are wondering if it is recognizable? :laugh:

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the kind comments and the frontpage!

The full gallery became public:
https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=587266

About the recognizability: maybe I looked at the model and the reference pictures too much, that's why I don't feel it's right. The real one is more round and prettier, though it is evident that the shape of the real car changed a few times, The Lego model is more like the prototype, and I think it got a bit rounder for the actual race. Or whatever, it's sure that the air intakes at the sides and the roof changed significantly. Sometimes even the die cast models look a bit off. Certainly it would help a lot if it was possible to built it in the real Red Bull race livery.

Edited by Lipko

Great model! Especially the nice long-travel suspension and curvy bodywork. This is what 42077 dreamt of being.

I saw it the other day on youtube! It's incredible! Great job dude!

I am not a technic guy and probably the features are nice as well, but the shaping is absolutely cool!

Get job @Lipko and it's great to see you back to building. I love the manual builds, so this makes me happy. The suspension design is great. The spare tires are a nice features, as their size makes the addition of this feature significant, so congratulations.

Great MOC!

Posted (edited)

Sorry for not answering the questions.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:04 AM, Lixander said:

Just great! The details are awesome and the functions are excellent too!

And sorry for this question, but it will have instructions?

I won't have time to make instructions unfortunately, I don't even know if I will get to digitizing the thing.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:55 PM, jorgeopesi said:

Wellcome back, awesome MOC, what about the flipflop experience?, I like them a lot.

I like the flipflop thing too but I still can't use it in such a clean way as I hoped, so I didn't feel that game-changing feel yet. Though I have to admit I used them frequently and wondered how I could have lived without those, but that's pretty much true for any new parts I encounter.
The frames at various sizes, now that's someting I admire.

Edited by Lipko

Great to have you back. Gorgeous MOC!