All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Capt Wolf

[GoC] A New Haven

Wonderful build! I love the architectural style (especially the overhang), and the color choices really make it unique. Amazing what going from reds to browns does for the roof, and I love the (medium dark flesh?) brick color. Using both sides of the masonry bricks is a nice way to vary the texture, along with the other usual methods. And a great write-up from the Corrish perspective of the war. Another real beauty from you, and especially glad to hear you're back in the BoBS waters for the foreseeable future!
  3. ToaIruini

Ideas for a CMF Advent Calendar

This is a great minifigure! Also, congrats on 300! I enjoy seeing each and every drawing of yours.
  4. Thank you! It's a lot faster once you've done it the first time! That said, I have another 2-3 hours of building and I'll be stuck at the same spot with the DR hull. Mast placement and decking... There is no way in brick I have enough brown, round, 2x2s to make enough masts for two. Maybe one. I'll try to get the masts started enough to be able to figure out my decking. Tonight will be my last night for a little bit when I have time to build Lego. Burning all the daylight hours taking down barb wire and prepping to put in some serious horse fencing. I'm thinking about custom sails. Might try for Dark red sails but I want these to go to my Soldier factions and that might be too Queen Anne's Revenge. Possibly off white and see if my Wife can't block print the crossed cannon insignia for me if I 3D print the blocks by paint layer with some sort of embroidery hoop holding/locating jig. Long term I want to build a pad printer so I can have an endless supply of classic 'coats and make some green coats. But CNC gets built first. I did fix some mistakes on the front bulk head that I'll need to roll into the blue hull before that gets any further work. Somehow I screwed up my layer count and I'm forcing a connection across a plate difference in height. No wonder it won't stay connected well!! I've been collecting certain technic pins and things to make smaller cannons based on builds I've seen here. The Lego cannons I'll save for the wide hull frigates I think.
  5. tomek9210

DNR Shifter Issue

The beams holding the shifter should be part of the chassis, now they are not. The mounting points are too far away from each other.
  6. Oh, I didn't anticipate that. Good that you detected it, I didn't attach the wheels yesterday. I now created an alternative (ATM only on the right side of the model) but it uses a considerable amount of extra parts. What do you think about that solution? Here's the updated digital model. I'll also update the URL in the post with the picture. Ok, will do. Until now I used my mod as basis as both are not that different, but I don't remember if this one is based on your newest version. Ah, now I fully understand. Cool idea. Will take some time until I get all missing parts together.
  7. FrkW

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

To me it's less about US or Europe and more about period. DO looks fairly american to me, as does a few other of the older ones, and I like them just fine. There are several American styles of architecture I would love to see Lego exploring, but I vastly do prefer the style to be say pre 1940s.
  8. Lyichir

LEGO Hidden Side 2020

Less certainly tended to be more with the Elves theme, which often had a similarly small summer wave that was nonetheless packed with quality! The summer wave of a theme that gets two waves in a year tends to be weighted more toward larger sets than the winter wave was, which should hopefully mean at least one more set on the scale of this year's school and possibly two other mid-to-large sets as well. Knowing so little about the second year's story it's hard to speculate about what might be included. I would not be surprised to see at least one of the additional sets focusing on the Hidden Side itself like the Portal set, hopefully featuring an equivalent version of Parker to the faint, bluish version of Jack from the first half of the year.
  9. Hello AFOBs, i'm new here and i have a rather difficult problem in front of me (difficult for me at least). I'm trying to design a Giant Wheel (with Studio), which will have a diameter of 146cm and 32 spokes. I got the outer Rim sorted, the Radiuses and angles, i got the mounting of the cabins sorted, and i *think* i got the making of the spokes sorted as well, but i can't figure out how to make the wheel hub, where all the 32 spokes meet in the middle. Lego's 10247 Ferris Wheel uses a combination of the parts "57585 Technic Axle Connector Hub with 3 Axles at 120°" and "10288 Technic Axle and Pin Connector Triple [120° Offset]", but with this the number of spokes that can be achieved can only be a multiple of 3 (12 in this case), but (for authenticity reasons) i want/need to have my GIantWheel have 32 Spokes. What exactly the spokes are made of, is still somewhat fluid at the moment, my current design has them made of technic bricks 1x16, held together with Plates 1x8. Which makes for a lot of Brick-Volume meet in the middle, difficult to arrange. My first version of the spokes was make of Technic Links connected with Pins, that probably would have made the arranging of the 32 connections in the middle easier, but i'm afraid all those links strung together won't be able to handle the weight of the entire thing. When it's done, the Entire Wheel-Part (2 "discs" of wheel, 16 cabins in between) will have a weight of 7.550 kg according to studio (not yet counting the interior furniture of the cabins). So, probably around 8kg by the time its finished. If any of you expert builders would have any pointers for me, i would be very appreciative. Thank you!!
  10. Right, the only new ones are Anya Corazon, Noir and Mysterio.
  11. Just to confirm, the Spider-Man,Spider-Gwen, Doctor Octopus, Venom are identical to the 2019 versions. Do I have that right?
  12. Everytime i see a review of the candy xwing i die a little🥺 It looks so good! But i doubt it'll ever go on ebay for a decent price.
  13. suffocation

DNR Shifter Issue

Before addressing the obvious chassis reinforcement issues, ask yourself how much torque you really need.
  14. Bainter-ban

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

... and that's why we should be more appreciative of American buildings? I really don't get the logic here...
  15. Me too, regarding favoring the figures over the builds in general, the past years. However, the Avengers Truck does look rather cool to me. Too bad LEGO didn't make it a S.H.I.E.L.D. truck though, that would've made a bit more sense to me. Maybe I'll try to get a stickersheet with some S.H.I.E.L.D. logos from BL and change that Regards, Mitch
  16. Masked Mini

Future Pirates Speculation

I suggest that a lot of that perception has to do with gendered packaging and pre-conceived notions. If it's for BOYS (YUCK!!) then Girls will turn away from it and vice versa. Or they are "shamed" into picking something different by adults. I would be very curious to see the results of a study in non-gendered packaging and marketing for Lego themes. Just neutral colour (classic system yellow?) boxes, usual pictures. No pink, no blue, no other social clues. Let only kids pick sets without adult coaching or comments. My wife and my daughter both often feel … un- or under-represented.. in themes that are not specifically geared to pink social cues. I can't tell you how happy they are to see female heads and hairpieces ESPECIALLY hats/helmets with hair!! in regular "Boy" themes. If lego was to do a pirates run with a more even split of male and female pirates AND soldiers the theme would be a lot more attractive to the female half of the planet. In the classic Pirate (and Castle) sets if there was a female she was there as a Damsel to be rescued or kidnapped. Or be a wench. But even if you were to make her your hero then she is utterly outnumbered by plastic men. Thankfully TLG has been increasing the female fig content in City over the years. And as more than just diversity figures or as representatives of female dominated professions. We have female firefighters and cops, miners and explorers, astronauts and scientists. We just need to add Knights, Forestwomen, Soldiers and Pirates.
  17. pooda

MOC City Pizza Restaurant

@fordtruckin Why thank you! I really appreciate that. When all said and done, you really are a good bloke dude. You do care a lot about the theme like I do and make a lot of your views according to the reality of the way Lego does their City sets. I personally don't think we'll ever see another pizzeria in City (I think 60150 is as far as we'll get) unless we see one in this year's (2020) town plan set.
  18. Today
  19. Grover

[AoM: Stables - Phase I] Wash away

First, let me say this is a very nice build. There's a lot of great things going on here--the horses with the bedrolls and saddlebags look great, the minis are posed perfectly, the bridge looks great, and I enjoy the tree style. I think your use of the stalk pieces is well done--they appear in places that are not well trod and are also not so abundant as to make the scene look cluttered. I do have some questions, some of which are answered in the conversation above. My first thought was that this represented early fall and you were moving the story to warmer climes, thus the trees had red leaves and were just seeing an early snow, but then I didn't see any snow on the ground, so I was confused by the trans clear bricks. I thought that they represented ice from the initial viewing. The other confusing part of the scene to me was the use of the light tan. I'm not sure what kind of earth that represents, especially with the brown pathway for the torn up dirt. Given that the trans clear represents rain, it would seem to me that a darker color soil would be in order (I am familiar with rain making soil darker to the eye). The lily pads with their bright green made me think of new growth, as I have not seen lilly pads, particularly with bright green, in the winter before. I really like the lily pads, the dark green water, the small waterfall, the use of the trans clear (as far as it represents ice anyway), but I am a little confused by the inclusion of all of these elements in the same build. Overall, another quality build. I don't mean to criticize, as I applaud your willingness to experiment, and I think we all need to try new things and take some risks to move forward with our own building and the community in general. Great job!
  20. StudWorks

DNR Shifter Issue

Update on my MOC: So I put together a drivetrain using the new DNR gearbox design recommended to me and did some tests to see how much torque it could handle until gears start to skip. This DNR gearbox design is far better than the previous one I was using. However, during my initial testing the torque has somehow managed to be strong enough to make the gray gear selector rings skip inside the red gears. I removed one of two 90 degree limiters to make gear shifting (via paddles) more easier, so putting it back on would hopefully solve the issue (the torque is so high it almost shifts into another speed). Here's a red gear that got its inner teeth damaged from the gray rings skipping them. Any thoughts on if the removal of the limiter as mentioned above is causing the skipping or is it something else? The new DNR gearbox is also having some reinforcement issues. Here's a picture of it staying still... And under high torque, where things start to bend slightly. Any advice on how I could reinforce this better? Thank you.
  21. pooda

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

On that, we can agree. Though to be realistic, if we were to get a subtheme based around the transit system, it would likely just consist of a city bus with a decent sized shelter, some type of commuter train similar to a European high speed train and something that reminds you of one of those classic cable cars you'd see in San Francisco.....and I say that from just knowing Lego. But changing the topic, considering that we've got that new magnet piece....What do you guys think of the chance that Harbor, Cargo or Construction would make a comeback in summer 2020? I mean that magnet piece (even though Lego probably doesn't realize it), has opened up a lot of playable opportunities.
  22. fordtruckin

MOC City Pizza Restaurant

You're initial MOC looked similar to the Toys R Us building in set 7848. And while a lot of buildings have a similar shape they can definitely stand out. The update you posted shows that as it adds much needed character to further define its purpose. I like where you are going with it and look forward to seeing what you do next!
  23. The metallic Technic hook has apparently been discontinued, so nowdays we only have these non-decent contraptions in the place of a proper hooks.
  24. fordtruckin

I hadn't seen that so thanks for sharing it. That is a beautiful station. Better than anything Lego would likely produce, especially in the City line. A perfect addition to a custom Lego city imo.
  25. pooda

Oh another note. I'm definately wagering on some type of subtheme that can utilize the new magnet piece.
  26. They listen to that all the time and I'm sure the official ambassadors are dutifully reporting stuff to them as there may be actual LEGO employees roaming forums and blogs in their private time unbeknownst to the rest of the world as well. that said, the issue with large companies like LEGO is of course that knowledge doesn't necessarily translate to action and at the end of the day even the best ideas are scrutinized for their business value. That's not just true for external input but also internally. I'm sure many good ideas by actual employees fall by the wayside or get stuck in the internal hierarchy just as well. that's just how it is. Mylenium
  27. Link to the Brickset article with set photos for 2010 sets. Hope you like mechs. Cheap mechs. At least a couple of figures are newly comic-inspired versions of what we previously only had MCU versions (Black Panther and Mysterio). Most of the rest of the stuff we had heard about before. While Marvel sets have always been about the figures first, I can't say a single build in this series is appealing to me at all. The line is moving younger (which is OK!). https://brickset.com/article/47657/2020-marvel-sets-revealed!
  1. Load more activity