The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

The hotel will look perfect next to the Parisian restaurant. The Galery part will be perfectly aligned with the restaurant part. I am looking forward to buy this set.

But still they might work together. That’s the only Modular I can think of where the Hotel could work somewhat well

5 minutes ago, Maple said:

They don't. PR looks to be 10 studs high while BH looks to be 7-8.

6 minutes ago, Brickham said:

Does anyone have pics of it next to the existing modulars?

Check this out:

LEGO-10297-Boutique-Hotel-Modular-Street

Top tier material. The hotel is just perfect. I love the fact that the sand green roof is a floor in itself. The "lip" that the roof has on the bottom part really separates it nicely from the rest it and is probably my favourite detail of the model. Big fan of the decorations on top of all the windows and along the roof. The angle is super cool. I've experimented a lot with angles and have also come to the conclusion that 3-4-5s are one of the few triangles (the only I've found) that allow you to build models without going off-system. How they use the space that that generates is a bit meh to be fair, pretty architecturally substanceless and the plant upstairs top looks messy. That said, the stairs break the composition very nicely and the archway entrace is nice. I don't know why but I get the feeling that I have seen this very modular before in MOCs, maybe anyone with a better memory than me can remind me :classic:

Maybe the only criticism is that it feels a tad short and that the back is pretty plain. The gap where the façades join in the back looks pretty bad but at least it's not on the fornt (Corner Garage....) Using a container to cover the pin hole is clever, though the executing is quite terrible. I would have also liked it to go all the way to the end of the baseplate.

Anyway, probably my favourite since Assembly Square :grin_wub:

It’s finally tomorrow! 

I’m loving this. The shape, of both buildings, is fantastic. The color combo all around is great, love all the colors used. Bellhop uniforms are cool & luggage rack is neat. I’m so ready for this! 

12 minutes ago, Brickham said:

Hmmm...does it look a little messy?

It is - but I am okay with that (just like real cities tend to be a bit messy) - it makes life interesting.

The arrangement of the fronds on the palm tree really bothers me - the trunk looks great though.  It will be the first thing I will rework when my get my hands on the set. I will probably raise the 2nd and 3rd floor by one brick each too.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Haven't bought any modulars myself since Town Hall. Kept telling myself that if I was impressed enough by the ones coming out that I'd buy one, but the past few just didn't do it for me. I think this might be the one to do it for me though.

Pleasantly surprised at the orientation, though it works better that way, I was imagining the reverse and wondering how that would work.  

47 minutes ago, Maple said:

No, the whole left side I feel is completely off for a modular. So I would have to take it all down and redo it, that's a third of the set that would need to be modified. 

Oh mods as in modular, not moderators…

It's been pointed out by Andrew Barnick over on NewElementary's comment section of their review that something remarkable has been featured in the art gallery.

Spoiler

To quote Andrew's post: "The cubist art print is very clearly based on set 4040 Nick—not just Nick Bluetooth from the Galidor line, but very specifically the Happy Meal toy version!"

AVvXsEjf4IcP_g5AnGWOp5I24pEf4C1BIciXUSvB

Edited by Murdoch17

7 minutes ago, Elysiumfountain said:

After reading the reviews, I'm already starting to imagine what could be done with two. Not least of all expanding the floors height-wise...

It would be so interesting to do a "mirror image" of the build to create an internal laneway/courtyard that isn't rectilinear.  A single 32x32 is way too restrictive.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

Ok I’m just now realizing this hotel is roughly the color of Neapolitan ice cream! 

For the first time in a very long time, I'm genuinely positively surprised by the new modular.

The exterior of this one is easily the best we got since Parisian Restaurant. Love pretty much every detail of it.

Interior is ok, the hotel foyer especially feels very empty, and the first floor is like that a bit, too. It's not quite as empty as Corner Garage, but still, there could be way more going on - like in the art gallery or the top floor, whch both manage to feel a bit more detailed on the inside.

Nougat as a dominant color on the facade is unusual, but it works, because it fits the style of the building somehow.

Will definitely get it with the 2x VIP, or the first good offer by other retailers, whichever comes first.

Tiago Catarina has a review up. 

Lots of Easter Eggs referencing other Modulars. But one stood out to me. A poster for an act at the Music Hall. Did they just give us a teaser for an upcoming one? 

Edit. I am loving this one. Easily the most European building we’ve gotten yet. Having a very Spanish feel. The only negative I see is it presents a problem for those of us who have a shelf city. In that much like the Brick Bank, it has a very definitive pretty facing. On a shelf it needs to be a Right Side corner, otherwise the hotel itself hides the art gallery from sight. 

Edited by Faefrost

There is one thing that don't catch my eye in this one, and that's the patio part. It sims kinda out of place, especially on the left (main) side. I wonder if it's possible to change it on the right, like, more in the back... And I will definitely change it in something else.

So, not day 1 buy for me for now, but maybe, when I'll realize how to modify it, like I did with the Bookshop.

This is a very interesting modular, it has vivid colors (copper roof), a different style and nice details. 

The geometry must have been a real challenge for the designers, but I’m not entirely convinced with the presented solution.

Triangular buildings are very cool but in real life the facades always follow the cities grid system/pattern.

Here it’s the other way round, making the modular "loose space". The placement of the stairs leading to the terrace emphasizes this, making the overall look a bit unrealistic/messy since hotel buildings of the belle époque relied on classic architectural composition and proportions.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:38 PM, Roebuck said:

but my guess is someone new probably someone that has not worked for Lego for very long.

Told you so :tongue: Anderson Ward Grubb is the designer and started working for Lego in 2019..

I like the look of the modular and it has a generous amount of minifigs for once, however zero animals unfortunately  :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Citromon said:

There is one thing that don't catch my eye in this one, and that's the patio part. It sims kinda out of place, especially on the left (main) side. I wonder if it's possible to change it on the right, like, more in the back... And I will definitely change it in something else.

So, not day 1 buy for me for now, but maybe, when I'll realize how to modify it, like I did with the Bookshop.

The patio part is really weird. I thought when we got rumours it would connect to the inside of the building, just it doesn't.

The whole left side is really bad and would need to be redone. It's a modular that doesn't connect well with other modulars.

Another thing that stands out. There looks to be almost no sidewalk. Or am I imagining that? 

I like this building, I will probably look for it on Day 1. The only thing I find funny aside from the geometry is the choice of parts for the dome. I feel like TLG may have taken inspiration from my Miami Freedom Tower build, if not a pure coincidence, as the four pedestal pieces and octagonal piece are identically placed, with them using a dome on the top instead. Maybe if this is true I get a discount? :laugh: