The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I found the video about the designing process very interesting. Also that he says they worked on it from September 2016 to March 2017. 
And how he says that he found a way to offset the side windows by one plate and much more. I liked it a lot. 

One also been saying they find it weird that the designer knows less about the history than AFOLs: If you see the video, you know that the guy really knows what he is talking about. He also referred to the timeframe of the modulars and that Town Hall contains a computer. 

@ncx @Brickolta I’m sorry about my comment on the designer. I really didn’t want to mean to be harsh or rude - next time I will choose better words while writing comments like that. 

I really like DD and I’m glad that I bought one yesterday :classic:

BTW, I have something really unexpected on my box: the word “expert” is missing, noticed it this morning! Does anyone else have a box like that?

Lego Downtown Diner 10260 - My box with missing  “expert”

Edited by LegoModularFan

10 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

@ncx @Brickolta I’m sorry about my comment on the designer. I really didn’t want to mean to be harsh or rude - next time I will choose better words while writing comments like that. 

I really like DD and I’m glad that I bought one yesterday :classic:

BTW, I have something really unexpected on my box: the word “expert” is missing, noticed it this morning! Does anyone else have a box like that?

No problem. I just think he did a good job and came up with some really nice ideas and is really suited as a designer.

That is really weird. I don't have the set yet. Maybe you bought the 'standard' version? :wink: (Just kidding)

My box doesn’t have the ‘expert’ text as well. Maybe that’s the new standard?

1 hour ago, astra said:

My box doesn’t have the ‘expert’ text as well. Maybe that’s the new standard?

Maybe it was scaring the parents.

smug6.jpg

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

I don’t plan on buying DD until the promo at the end of the month, but from reading through the instructions and watching several reviews, my opinion of the set has significantly improved (not that it was bad in the first place).

It’s similar to my experience building the VW Beetle, where it was only as I was putting it together that I appreciated just how sophisticated a design Mike Psiaki had created. I have heard him talk elsewhere about his interest in the “maths” of Lego, and I honestly think his grasp of Lego geometry is alongside the best of current designers.

In addition, one other thing I like about this model is that the back doesn’t just feel like it was tacked on. Without wanting to risk too much of a flame war, as much as I love Jamie’s designs, almost all of his modulars are unecesssirly ugly from the rear, with an over-reliance on the square window frames, even if this was completely out of character with the rest of the building. :devil:

Edited by DeanLearner
Phrasing

I can't decide whether I want to buy DD or not. There is no doubt it is a brilliant set and according to the reviews that have already appeared online, it features some really fun and innovative building techniques. 

The only thing holding me back is I can't decide whether I like the look of it when it's positioned next to other modular buildings. I appreciate that they've gone for a different architectural style and I do like the art deco design but my only issue is that there are no other buildings currently in this style or that use a similar colour pallette. Maybe in the future there will be but for now maybe the DD is best treated as a standalone building.

Don't get me wrong. I do think it is a fabulous and original set and I'm glad they've mixed things up a bit by going for a different style. Just don't know if I can justify spending the money on a set if it won't look right next to my other sets.

I wonder if anyone lucky enough to own the set already would be kind enough to post some pics showing it positioned with other modulars?

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

The only thing holding me back is I can't decide whether I like the look of it when it's positioned next to other modular buildings. I appreciate that they've gone for a different architectural style and I do like the art deco design but my only issue is that there are no other buildings currently in this style or that use a similar colour pallette.

I don't have the Downtown Diner, but I think it will look okay next to the Detective's Office. Somewhere in this thread, someone far more talented than myself did some mock-ups of the DD next to other Modulars and I thought it looked pretty good next to the DO.

Given the potential in the future of the designed also drifting away from the previous trend, maybe it's worth getting it and just holding off building it until the next one is released or a few more, that give it a better feel to fit in... Much cheaper to buy it now than when it gets discontinued and you realise you'd like it alongside the rest of the new ones which when all put together don't seem to bad with the older ones...?

I'll definitely be getting this regardless of where it fits in. I'll deal with that later. 

Just a thought :thumbup:

I agree that Downtown Diner does look a bit out of place alongside the other modulars at present, but I think that is not necessarily a major problem (or at least not a new one!).

From Palace Cinema onwards there has been an increasing trend of stylistic variation within the modulars, to the extent that probably the majority of modulars now look somewhat disjointed when placed alongside one another.

However, while that can be slightly distressing from an architectural purist perspective, I think it also encourages the following approaches:

1) Embrace the eclecticism and eccentricity as core qualities of Lego

2) Modify the modulars to better complement one another (I managed to exorcise my demons about Palace Cinema and Assembly Square that way!)

3) Take the official modulars as inspiration for your own MOCS to better fill in the gaps or create coherent “districts” for a Lego city (I plan on building a pair of 24x32 modulars to integrate a partially recessed Ninjago City into a layout).

3 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

I agree that Downtown Diner does look a bit out of place alongside the other modulars at present, but I think that is not necessarily a major problem (or at least not a new one!).

From Palace Cinema onwards there has been an increasing trend of stylistic variation within the modulars, to the extent that probably the majority of modulars now look somewhat disjointed when placed alongside one another.

However, while that can be slightly distressing from an architectural purist perspective, I think it also encourages the following approaches:

1) Embrace the eclecticism and eccentricity as core qualities of Lego

2) Modify the modulars to better complement one another (I managed to exorcise my demons about Palace Cinema and Assembly Square that way!)

3) Take the official modulars as inspiration for your own MOCS to better fill in the gaps or create coherent “districts” for a Lego city (I plan on building a pair of 24x32 modulars to integrate a partially recessed Ninjago City into a layout).

That is a great approach. I couldn't agree more.

For me I stopped buying modulars after GG and despite having the opportunity to build the subsequent three, didn't go further because for my tastes all of the buildings, with the exception of the DD came across as out of my era. Boils down to personal taste really.

I've been vouching for modern South Florida myself, and designed a fair amount of modern buildings in the system to create a "small town South Florida" (ie. Hollywood, Delray, etc). With this set came the realization I could pull the same stops for SoBe and that's why I've been doing some work transforming one to fit a SoBe building (my Pasion del Cielo modular). 

That being said it's up to the builder to guide his/her city as he/she sees fit. I like originality, which is why I razed my CC, MS and GG. Do I regret knocking down and even selling bits from CC? Maybe... but I am happier with the setup now and going forward.

There are rumors of new animal moulds coming this summer

2 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

So here is some news. The artic theme is different! According to the brick show, the artic theme goes prehistoric! 60193 has a saber tooth tiger stuck in ice, 60195 has a wooly mammoth!

I have to say this sounds very promising for a Natural History Museum modular 

I think there are enough modular sets by now to complete a full block/ring, so maybe they're starting a new block? The Brick Bank was the fourth corner set, so the end of the "first block", and so maybe now they're going to branch out a bit. Technically, they should have made it clearer by releasing the first corner of the "new block", if that was the case, but maybe they're moving away for more variety that will keep the line on the shelves.

Just now, Agent 86 said:

IF the "hotel" slip-up in the Designer Video was a deliberate hint, maybe we'll get an art deco inspired hotel next.

Perhaps something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markstephen/16217498951/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark1554/3189070295/

Which would potentially have the ability to include a small business or two on the ground floor.

Oh god, please no. Those are some terrible designs, and I hope TLG agrees.

Edited by Drunknok

49 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

IF the "hotel" slip-up in the Designer Video was a deliberate hint, maybe we'll get an art deco inspired hotel next.

Perhaps something like this:

I may like the Downtown Diner, but I really wouldn't want to see any other potential Art Deco successors continue on the Miami Beach Deco look. I'd rather hope to see some more elegant Art Deco/Streamlined Moderne modulars instead, with more refined colors such as Pearl Gold, Copper Metallic, Sand Green, Olive Green, Dark Tan, and such. Something like these would be nice for instance:

Tall Tower by @RoxYourBlox.

Spoiler
Lego MOC: Tall Tower

Apple Square University by @RoxYourBlox.

Spoiler
Apple Square University

1 hour ago, Agent 86 said:

I seem to remember a couple of months ago there were some rumors and discussion that some of the early modulars could be re-released in the same way that Taj Mahal was last November.

When Mike mentioned the modular series needing a hotel in the DD designer video, maybe he wasn't hinting at a brand new future hotel set at all but instead could this be a sign that we might get a re-release of cafe corner later this year with a slightly upgraded design including a fully fitted out hotel interior on the upper floors?

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

I seem to remember a couple of months ago there were some rumors and discussion that some of the early modulars could be re-released in the same way that Taj Mahal was last November.

When Mike mentioned the modular series needing a hotel in the DD designer video, maybe he wasn't hinting at a brand new future hotel set at all but instead could this be a sign that we might get a re-release of cafe corner later this year with a slightly upgraded design including a fully fitted out hotel interior on the upper floors?

My take on his comment was either: 1) he had a brain fart and forgot about Cafe Corner, or 2) he is actually teasing a Cafe Corner re-release... though I think it's unlikely LEGO would go so far as to add an interior, given the Taj Mahal build was identical to the original release, other than a few color swaps. But, many have said a Cafe Corner re-release is impossible without reworking it, since the door/window sizes are different now. So in theory they'd have to tinker with it more than Taj Mahal no matter what.

It's also possible he's teasing 2019's modular, but I think this is the least likely scenario since it's so far off, and since the subject of the modulars is liable to change this early in development (as happened with the Diner, original slated to be a car dealership).

On 1/3/2018 at 2:50 PM, Bricked1980 said:

I can't decide whether I want to buy DD or not. There is no doubt it is a brilliant set and according to the reviews that have already appeared online, it features some really fun and innovative building techniques. 

The only thing holding me back is I can't decide whether I like the look of it when it's positioned next to other modular buildings. I appreciate that they've gone for a different architectural style and I do like the art deco design but my only issue is that there are no other buildings currently in this style or that use a similar colour pallette. Maybe in the future there will be but for now maybe the DD is best treated as a standalone building.

Don't get me wrong. I do think it is a fabulous and original set and I'm glad they've mixed things up a bit by going for a different style. Just don't know if I can justify spending the money on a set if it won't look right next to my other sets.

I wonder if anyone lucky enough to own the set already would be kind enough to post some pics showing it positioned with other modulars?

I saw a picture of it between AS(left) and DO(right). It looks excellent and the colors blend in well.

I doubt next year will have anything to do with Art Deco.  Variety seems to be a constant in the modular world.  What you get one year will look far different that what there was last year.  I would expect something in a completely different architectural style and color scheme.  There is an observation that the style of the modulars has drifted more towards modern times.  I do not necessarily think that locks us in the 1950s or even later for next year though.  Where I live, most of the buildings from the 1960s and beyond are not really inspiring.  The architecture is often more practical than it is meant to be attractive.  I find most buildings to be very boxy, a lot like the city police stations and other similar structures.  Most homes here are of the "cookie cutter" variety to add to the mundane effect.  You have a lot of right angles (not counting rooflines) and not much else, especially with commercial architecture.  There are some ultramodern structures that are interesting, but they tend to be quite large, such as downtown skyscrapers, buildings like the new World Trade Center transportation center in New York, etc. but i can not think of much beyond the 1950s that is going to look good or exciting on a 32x32 plate.  

Honestly, I am hoping the next one is going to be European and anything but modern, maybe something Baroque or Rococo.  There are still a lot of styles out there that have yet to be presented in official Lego form.  

12 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I doubt next year will have anything to do with Art Deco.  Variety seems to be a constant in the modular world. 

Exactly. The most well known public Art Deco buildings are Cafe/Restaurants, Cinema/Theatres, or Skyscrapers. We already have the first, the second would be too close to Palace Cinema (which I wouldn’t consider Art Deco), and the third is simply not going to happen.

I don’t particularly mind where they go from here, and while I would love to see some Baroque or Rococo architecture, I’d just be happy for future modulars to continue be designed with a particular style in mind.

4 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Fair and valid point. Maybe something more like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/corinnawitt/5960709549/

While I still do not like the style, at least this is something with "building potential" - meaning it would provide some challenges in build techniques, while providing a coherent look on the outside and lots of room inside. But as somebody else already mentioned: I seriously doubt we will get yet another Modular in this style, and even if - not next year.