Hello All!!

I'm very happy to share my latest Technic supercar design, the BMW M4 GT3! I spent the entire summer working on the chassis, trying to make use of the new Ferrari Daytona parts (rims, differential, panels) to create a fast RC design with full turning capability and full speed. 

53308870155_54955553ae_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

This build features 5 different suspension ride heights, 3 of which have torsion bar suspension, full RC drive and steering with working steering wheel and lights, manual option with HOG, door locks, opening hood truck and doors, inline 6 engine. 

53308411536_4c644436ba_b.jpgBMW M4 GT3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

I wanted the suspension to have an easily adjusted height, something that can be switched on the fly, and to be able to create a racecar stance, lower at the front and taller at the rear, all while being fully functional in RC mode for each height.  

53308870105_1c2a66b63f_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The new differential allows minimal friction, allowing this car to hit a very comfortable speed with 1 buwizz and 2 buggy motors. The steering is very nimble with full turn capability, and even more so with Andrea's brand new design - custom create rims that actually remove the brake disk from Lego and use his own designed hubs to sink the deep disk rim inward, while still providing functionality to the RC drivability thru the u-joints. 

53308755184_92a6693876_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

@snakeeyes_friex designed the livery, this man can design without boundaries. Honored he could help with this model and all the hard work.

Thats all for now... more photos to come! Enjoy!

53308394221_a2c193d31e_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53308642548_f1df4ee9df_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53308669383_3bd2b6c334_b.jpgMotor options - Buwizz 2.0 or 3.0, old motors / new motors by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53308394291_8584cf319b_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53307531657_46f04ae8d2_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53308870185_5301bb2f8c_b.jpgMy latest design, the 1:7.5 BMW M4 GT3! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

Very impressive looking! I like the adjustable suspension concept, and performance is quite impressive for the size! I'd also be interested in learning more about those custom wheel hubs you mention.

IMO this is the cleanest looking car you’ve ever made, especially the red version without the stickers. The diffuser looks great with those bucket pieces, awesome part usage. Great job!

Great build.  I have the 2023 m240i, which is considered an m-lite version of the 2-series.  It has some characteristics, though obviously not all, of the M4.  But being very familiar with the M cars (we took the performance classes locally - we live near the SC plant, where we got to drive the M4, M3, etc.) I really enjoy what you have done here.  The front is instantly recognizable, large kidney grill, the headlights, etc.  Great job on this. I fantasize about being able to do the M2; if I ever did perhaps I will use this as inspiration.  

Very thoughtful and beautiful build, Lox Lego - well done and kudos! Nice cockpit details and the chromed inline-6. Love those BMW M cars!

Made me want to convert my GT3 RSR (42096) that's been sitting on a shelf collecting dust into an RC! I suppose any motor will do for the drivetrain (1-speed without transmission will do for me), but steering might be a bit more challenging as it needs to be very precise and auto-center. What did you end up choosing for the steering and are there good resources that list all the choices for steering servos and how to compare them when choosing? Are there genuine Lego parts that will do the job given the limited room for this particular model?

Thanks much!

- TA

On 11/4/2023 at 9:35 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Very impressive looking! I like the adjustable suspension concept, and performance is quite impressive for the size! I'd also be interested in learning more about those custom wheel hubs you mention.

Thanks mate! Here is a idea of how these rims work :) 

53326769253_41b79c73eb_b.jpgCustom @systemofabrick hub! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

On 11/4/2023 at 4:50 PM, langko said:

IMO this is the cleanest looking car you’ve ever made, especially the red version without the stickers. The diffuser looks great with those bucket pieces, awesome part usage. Great job!

Thank you Langko, appreciate the comment from a fellow designer, always searching for the best part to fill the void!

On 11/5/2023 at 5:15 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Great build.  I have the 2023 m240i, which is considered an m-lite version of the 2-series.  It has some characteristics, though obviously not all, of the M4.  But being very familiar with the M cars (we took the performance classes locally - we live near the SC plant, where we got to drive the M4, M3, etc.) I really enjoy what you have done here.  The front is instantly recognizable, large kidney grill, the headlights, etc.  Great job on this. I fantasize about being able to do the M2; if I ever did perhaps I will use this as inspiration.  

Cheers Nerdforprez - Id be interested in seeing what you could come up with.

A few more detailed pic of the build below :)

53326882009_52afafc414_b.jpgWaterfront views on views with the BMW M4 GT3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53326536061_eae9a81b72_b.jpgWaterfront views on views with the BMW M4 GT3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53320205044_3fec4859e6_b.jpgBMW M4 GT3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53326765453_3c15896b70_b.jpgWaterfront views on views with the BMW M4 GT3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53326765438_9edc0f3a5e_b.jpgWaterfront views on views with the BMW M4 GT3 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53325580952_22cbefce15_b.jpgBMW and his big brothers by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53325580967_5b5289a562_b.jpgBMW and his big brothers by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

One thing I’ve always appreciated about your cars is how rugged they seem. Lots of pretty RC cars that can’t handle the abuse without falling into pieces, but you seem to manage to strike the best of both worlds with good looking, yet robust models!! Good job!

One minor note - to me it seems like the grill is a stud too wide at the bottom, not sure if it’s just an illusion 

Impressed by @Lox Lego’s BMW M4 GT3 silhouette, first thought was not another red car, having made four already this year!
The following day I saw my Technic BMW M1000 RR São Paulo tucked in the corner of the bookshelf, thought about BMW promo photo below and bought the instructions straight away without thinking about the inherent problem with Lime (apart from the multiple shades), the lack of some panels of which some work arounds have been resolved already. 
I built my M1000 RR in Lime, because I didn’t want it covered in stickers and the M4 GT3 will be the same - personally i think it highlights the cleanliness of shape more. Love the crazy sculptural lines and shape of the bonnet, the shape of the rear wing that I have already completed is well done too.

My M4 GT3 manual version will primarily built in Lime with Black roof and a couple areas will have M-Sport accent colours (similar to grille shown).
800x534.jpeg

I have worked away over the last week on it with no availability to Bricklink (didn’t realise how reliant on it we are!). Luckily a local store had the Technic Mustang 42138 & Lamborghini 42161 on sale, which was a good starting point for an assortment of Lime parts.

The biggest problem is there is no 5x7 Frames in Black in NZ, I had three that has allowed the assembly of the front end with a few of my own modifications - removed the centre row of Panels and replaced with a combination of Liftarms and Half Liftarms for the subtle M-Sport colours. Also 8 x Gear Racks have been installed behind, increased the size of the lower light cluster, added tow hook, rotated the lower Fence element 90 degrees and pushed out the lower front spoiler/splitter.

Fortunately I had a set of 9L Shocks so most of the front suspension (solid setup) and engine detail is complete too. From the chassis build so far you can tell it will be strong and rigid, similar to the Ferrari F12 and Holden Torana already built previously, both have a very rigid central spine.

800x600.jpeg
NB:- Some colours are placeholders until correct colour arrive.

Looking forward to getting it completed over the next month or two, it will be awesome addition to the BMW M-Sport Package.

Edited by LegoHoops
Grammar

On 11/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, LegoHoops said:

Impressed by @Lox Lego’s BMW M4 GT3 silhouette, first thought was not another red car, having made four already this year!
The following day I saw my Technic BMW M1000 RR São Paulo tucked in the corner of the bookshelf, thought about BMW promo photo below and bought the instructions straight away without thinking about the inherent problem with Lime (apart from the multiple shades), the lack of some panels of which some work arounds have been resolved already. 
I built my M1000 RR in Lime, because I didn’t want it covered in stickers and the M4 GT3 will be the same - personally i think it highlights the cleanliness of shape more. Love the crazy sculptural lines and shape of the bonnet, the shape of the rear wing that I have already completed is well done too.

My M4 GT3 manual version will primarily built in Lime with Black roof and a couple areas will have M-Sport accent colours (similar to grille shown).
I have worked away over the last week on it with no availability to Bricklink (didn’t realise how reliant on it we are!). Luckily a local store had the Technic Mustang 42138 & Lamborghini 42161 on sale, which was a good starting point for an assortment of Lime parts.

The biggest problem is there is no 5x7 Frames in Black in NZ, I had three that has allowed the assembly of the front end with a few of my own modifications - removed the centre row of Panels and replaced with a combination of Liftarms and Half Liftarms for the subtle M-Sport colours. Also 8 x Gear Racks have been installed behind, increased the size of the lower light cluster, added tow hook, rotated the lower Fence element 90 degrees and pushed out the lower front spoiler/splitter.

Fortunately I had a set of 9L Shocks so most of the front suspension (solid setup) and engine detail is complete too. From the chassis build so far you can tell it will be strong and rigid, similar to the Ferrari F12 and Holden Torana already built previously, both have a very rigid central spine.

NB:- Some colours are placeholders until correct colour arrive.

Looking forward to getting it completed over the next month or two, it will be awesome addition to the BMW M-Sport Package.

I cannot wait to see what you come up with on the lime version! I'm already impressed with your adjustments to the grill, keep going!

On 11/13/2023 at 4:23 PM, danielsmocs said:

Absolutely fantastic creation! 

Thanks Dan!

I have created a part list for the red/white/black versions in the link below.

You will need to paint 1 3x15 wheel arch, and there is a slight mod at the rear to replace the new red 7x1 crossed beam to white. See below.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MAijor0Tmy3zLZ0NMxKDeHw8dBodt8cY?usp=drive_link

53340513361_a574c4f01f_b.jpgPart list for black white red version avail in link below!!! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53340969050_3096079172_b.jpgPart list for black white red version avail in link below!!! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

53339631632_75bee5b1b1_b.jpgPart list for black white red version avail in link below!!! by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The airfreight from Australia finally arrived with a large selection of Lime and all the 5x7 Frames, so I have been able to give the BMW M4 GT3 a good nudge this week. The build has came together quicker and smoother than I initially thought using the Lime colour-way. 

Firstly, @Lox Lego‘s chassis is probably one of the most rigid I have built, especially for such a big car - makes it so much easier to construct the body and move it around. The bonnet has received a great deal of attention to delete the 3x7 Panels as they not available in Lime. The front section of the bonnet being built with Liftarms instead and used #3/#4 Panels in Black underside down to represent the radiator vents.

Just waiting on additional Lime Panels and Liftarms to complete the two doors and a couple of other sections, now that I have a work around solution for the 5x7 and the 3x7 Curved Panels. 

800x600.jpeg

Small modifications below the boot lid with Curved Panel being moved out one stud and the #7/#8 Panels integrated and finished in Lime, wrapping around the sides of the diffuser. As with the front end, a tow hook has been added to the rear as well. The spoiler attachment to the boot lid has been revised (refer to my last post) with a more refined mounting.

800x600.jpeg

Still playing around with a few areas like the roof, I have built both Black and Lime versions - the Black adds a bit of contrast to all the Lime. I am currently working on just a single right-hand mounted muffler and exhaust assembly, with 2x2 Round Bricks visible inside the front wheel arch and door. Hopefully there will be a bit more progress this week and should be almost complete by next weekend.

Edited by LegoHoops

It is always amaizing how you made great Lego models of ugly plastic modern cars.