Sign in to follow this  
Alex Ilea

[MOC] Toyota Supra MK4 -42154 B Model

Hi everyone,

First of all, I really appreciate that you are reading this topic, I know everyone has busy lives and limited spare time.

Now let's get to the model shall we.

I am presenting you my latest build, a B model for the Ford GT 42154, the Toyota Supra MK4.

800x477.jpg

I will say with 100% confidence that this is my best B model yet, I just love how it turned out. Of course, the JDM king, the Toyota Supra, especially the MK4 is a super popular car within the space of Japanese sports cars and, myself, being a fan of this car, it was a no brainer to try to recrate it in technic. I had the Ford GT, designed by @grohl, on my shelf for the 3 months and I just couldn't un see those transparent headlight pieces being a great fit for the Supra headlights.

So I gave it a try, I printed the MK4 blueprint and started working on it as I do with any scale car I do. I thought that with such a limited inventory (as is the usual case with B models) I might not be able to recrate it to the level that I expect of myself. I really wanted to fit the L6 cylinder engine but it looked way off, so a L4 had to suffice. It just looked more in proportion. My model is actually 2 studs wider than what it should have been (due to the long CV joints), so it is as wide as the Ford. I guess a widebody Supra doesn't hurt anyone ;)

800x450.jpg 

I set myself to build the whole car on the outside and build the interior last (which was the best option). In the end, I only had parts for one seat and a simple dash and basic details. Considering that I used close to 90% of the original, I believe the result is quite satisfactory.

800x450.jpg

The rear is an iconic part, especially the wing spoiler, which, funny enough, is what I built first, in order to "reserve" the parts for it. For me, it would break the car if it were missing. Other details worth mentioning are the tail lights, which turned out surprisingly well, and the singular exhaust pipe on the left side.

800x450.jpg

By the time I got to the roof I got really worried, I had so few black parts left, but I managed to pull some strings and make it happen. 

Of course, it has the typical supercar features: suspension, opening doors and hood, and HOG steering below the spoiler.

800x450.jpg

I want to thank you again for reading this, really appreciate it! 

This model is my pride and joy right now, and it will stay on my shelf as a display piece that I continuously look at to inspire myself for other builds.

Here is the dramatic edit I did for it over at YouTube: 

Do you guys like this type of edit, or is it just too much and would like a more "normal" presentation? Let me know.

Also the mandatory building instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-156818/Alex Ilea/toyota-supra-mk4-42154-b-model/#comments

All the photos of it over at bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/ILEAALEX/toyota-supra-mk4-42154-b-model-full-gallery

I have thought, when seeing the feedback online for this model, of making a V2 of it, kind of like a "Pimped Up Supra", same outside shell but add a custom inline 6, detail the engine, add 2nd seat, detail interior, add a rear diffuser, and a sequential gearbox. Something to think about...

Thank you guys, have a nice day!

All I can say is that Lego has made a nice B model for your 42154 set Toyota Supra.

Incredible!

Edited by Akassin

That's a beautiful B model, nice curves and great parts usage, besides the headlights, I like the A pillars and the roofline.

Also, I kind of like the dramatic video presentation. Luckily it's not overdone, it's compact and intriguing.

Looks great! Definately your best B-model yet. Would love to see a V2 that uses extra parts. More details in the engine/interior/trans clear taillights etc.. would really take the model to the next level!

Amazing - those headlights fits almost perfectly, also creative way designig rear lights.

10 hours ago, Akassin said:

All I can say is that Lego has made a nice B model for your 42154 set Toyota Supra.

Incredible!

You just read my mind. It looks great indeed.

To see how great B models you gentleman made from car sets, you are temoting me to buy Sian (without box and instructions) and made lime Miura.

But as @Alex Ilea said time is a key factor.

What a brilliant idea for a b-model! The unique headlights of the Supra a perfectly captured with this new piece, and even the section is very nicely captured :-)

Maybe we get the orange Fast&Furious Supra in the same scale as the 42111?

So harmonious, so slick in curves and angles... Now, THIS is what I would call a perfect alternate model! Excellent job, I am amazed!

Wow I didn't expect so many comments and a frontpage, thank you everyone!

I am already thinking of ideas for the V2 version, @langko, this model really deserves an upgrade ;)

@Jundis Ask and you shall receive:

800x450.png

800x450.png

800x450.png

Of course it is not possible to built it without painting some parts, unfortunately...

Thank you!

This looks amazing! I was going to ask for Orange but someone else did.......... and it looks amazing. I have Artemy Zotov's Supra IV next to Dom's Charger... but if I could build this one in Orange I would replace it! (sorry Artemy)

What an amazing alternative, it could and IMO should be an official B model.

I have said it before and will say it again, I think you are one of the best (alternate) car designers I know.

Keep up the good job, mate,

Really nice B model!

If I will get the set, I would directly build this; it has a "tight" (almost no empty spots in the bodywork) and accurate look.

Bravo! Keep it up with the good work!

19 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

What an amazing alternative, it could and IMO should be an official B model.

I have said it before and will say it again, I think you are one of the best (alternate) car designers I know.

Keep up the good job, mate,

Thank you J!

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Fantastic car and amazing video! :wub_drool:

The dark blue color is beautiful!

I wasn't such a big fan of dark blue before, but I started to really like it. It is a perfect color to show body lines, as it is not as dark as black, or as bright as white. Really liking it!

47 minutes ago, Lixander said:

Really nice B model!

If I will get the set, I would directly build this; it has a "tight" (almost no empty spots in the bodywork) and accurate look.

Bravo! Keep it up with the good work!

Wow, thanks! Yes I did try my best to hide all the empty spots. Asteptam pozele ;)

40 minutes ago, nahpets said:

This is great! Really deserves a v2 so you can give it the finishing touches it deserves!

Appreciate it! I already started working on the V2. The plan is to make a new chassis, with as many features and details as possible and then recolor it so it uses as many parts from the current chassis. In order to minimize the extra parts required.

Great work with the B-model! I usually don't buy a second Technic set, but I might make an exception this time.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, R0Sch said:

Great work with the B-model! I usually don't buy a second Technic set, but I might make an exception this time.

Hahaha, thank you! I actually had a lot of people say that exact same thing.

Great, great B model, congrats!

Can you share any details on your process? I would be really curious to know how you approach building a B model from the limited set of parts.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, _TLG_ said:

Very nice shaping and I like the front lights especially!

Thank you!

13 hours ago, johncarpenter said:

Great, great B model, congrats!

Can you share any details on your process? I would be really curious to know how you approach building a B model from the limited set of parts.

Thanks!

Sure I can, here is my process:

You have to first see if the model is feaseable to build, this meaning if you have enough parts in order to build it to a decent standard. Looks and functions matter. So with only the parts from the Ford GT, I wouldn't attempt to make a lamborghini sian or something complicated like that, because in my mind the inventory is not generous enough in order to make the lambo look super good. It would just turn out ugly and no one would like it.

Then, of course you start building. I usually print a blueprint of the real car, in the scale of which tire size that I use. When building, I start at the same time the bodywork and the chassis. I don't want to not have the necessary parts for either, so if one needs a small sacrifice in order to improove another section this is the easiest time to do it. Mind you, I only build with real life bricks and only after the model is complete I build it digitally. You know that, what is on a screen sometimes doesn't work in real life...

So I make this back and forth between the two, and I make sure to capture all the essential details as much as possible, while also constantly checking the parts that remain. I also "reserve" parts in advance for future steps that I know I have to do. 

Of course, there are times when I need two parts of one type and I don't  have them and I make one side better than the other, but the secret is to not make it very noticeable. There are a couple of these on the Supra and they don't really bother anyone.

I hope my answer is what you were looking for. If you have any more questions please ask them. 

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by Alex Ilea