Darnok

The BotBS Advent Calendar 2020

@KotZ 

Spoiler

Love how effectively you made that look like a ship's cabin just by doing short walls and a slope on one side!

15th of December: A Merrymas Tradition

Spoiler

Bruno loved to take a couple days to relax and go ice fishing over Merrymas, it was a little tradition he'd worked out for himself. Some quiet time out on the ice shelf before the ice started to break up. 

131173024_825399794908794_1403899691824624681_n

A pot boiling over a little cook fire, he could keep warm and make a nice little meal for himself. 

131154661_722367588680760_1356019555847932710_n

Another part of the tradition was some strong Merrymas Punch... also to help keep warm... powerful stuff though, and why not take a little nap. 

131180830_400902637792909_401333963692706647_n

Bruno slept soundly, rocked by the bobbing of the waves... "wait... the waves..."

131150557_3678540148893376_5498835428079868180_n

While he was out the ice broke free, he was adrift in his little ice fishing hut... ok don't panic.... the ice will last a while... but not forever... Bruno needs to stay calm and develop a plan. 

131239300_891541658321340_6188279267358909788_n

It was a bit of a scramble but ok... Bruno is on the roof, he has his fishing rod, raw fish is gross but he won't starve... he puts snow in the pot, rain will replenish his fresh water too... he puts his cloak up as a makeshift sail and to block some sun... not much... but this is ok...

130836346_1011171586037292_5534844181640762473_n

Somebody will come along eventually. Until then... just stay calm. How long could it be?

131152434_669261810387510_7724591954729429131_n

*time passes*

131174327_1063886814126692_1544298092534558134_n

He knows he is heading south, it is getting warmer... rain is becoming less frequent, he is getting thirsty... loopy... crazy... Bruno starts seeing things

131183568_239049147641364_698801419731094757_n

Keep it together Bruno

131228825_453235582339292_3805621339409635973_n

Then one day... could it be... yes... not hallucinating. Bruno is saved!

131130478_2110762732394718_2926708141630283082_n

The end. Happy Merrymas Everybody!

131209348_444951403178363_6716074130294031438_n

Oh, no. Poor Bruno! (Especially "the end.") :pir-skel:

Great little story and accompanying builds. Those are some incredible hallucinations. :pir-grin:

16 December. Le cerf-volant

Spoiler

The cerf-volant from the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. As you may recognized, it's build after the animated version.

r1e5X8.jpg

-Wait for me, I'm going with you!

-There isn't enough place for you, that's why we've left you in Oz.

r1e46f.jpg

17th of December: Winter Solstice Offerings

Spoiler

Fort Arltrees:  the Sacred Forest / Heiliger Wald

After the Battle of El Oleonda, a small contingent of Essians decided to stay in Fort Arltrees and help build up and defend the budding colony. With them they brought some traditional customs from home. Chief amongst these was the cultivation of a Sacred Forest on the edge of the settlement. The location of the grove was hand-picked by Essener Rune Priests, holy men brought from the home city. Here, one becomes one with the surrounding nature and primeval spirits, surrounded by tranquility. Experienced believers can attain a higher level of enlightened oneness and discover new insights, just like the All-Father Wotan once did himself. It is in his honor and as a token of loyalty towards the Great City of Essen that a small oak sapling has been planted, which will once turn into a mighty oak. It was cut from the branches of the Great Oak itself in Essen and then brought into the New World.

With the sapling comes the tradition of celebrating Winter Solstice and the victory of light over darkness. In december, pious Essians place wrapped gifts on the altar in front of the Wotanseiche: offerings to the Almighty One-Eyed and his earthly representatives: the Rune Priests. The gifts are wrapped so no one can see what the other has given and no jealousness of boasting can occur. Only the All-Knowing Wotan knows.

Typical of Essian sacred groves are the two ravens flanking the altar in front of the holy oak. Officially, these are Wotan's watchful eyes and messengers, but to the men of Essen they are also representations of their Eternal Dukes who gave their lives for the City. A vengeful symbol usually frowned upon by other Carnites, especially those hailing from the capital and the eternal rivals of Essen. A small rune stone has also been erected with charms in the ancient runic tongue carved into them by the Rune Priest, to protect the settlement and its men.

Here, two soldiers have just gifted their Solstice Offerings to the future mighty oak.

50730624446_470c88ec45_z.jpg

50730721557_bb67c953da_z.jpg

OOC: I was exceptionally called into the office today, so I could only take the pictures this evening after work, whilst I had actually planned to take them during the day; hence the poor lighting and late upload :enough:.

18th of December: Merrymas Bleeeaaarcchhh!

Spoiler

24156803900_a3a468091d_t.jpg     Oh...I'm going to throw up...

50728356278_283639a0cf_c.jpg
Click on the image to go to Flickr where you can watch the video.

25616790134_76dfb96011_t.jpg     Hang in there!  This is an important mission to bring presents to the children of Terraversa!

24156803900_a3a468091d_t.jpg     Bleeeaaarcchhh!

Edited by pombe
Tried @Kai NRG's suggestion, which worked while editing the post, but the video disappears after I hit "Save".

Failed to embed the video to play directly in the post.

@pombe : Did you use the BBCode from your Flickr account ? It doesn't work through BBcode

I tryed to upload it for you but the file doesn't seem to load correctly, that's odd... EDIT : The file type seems to be inappropriate. I cannot upload the video directly here, sorry.

Hmm...it’s an iPhone video.  Maybe Apple has some strange format, though it claims to be an MP4.  Thanks for trying, though.

@Kai NRG has given me a suggestion that works while I am posting/editing, but after I hit Save, the video disappears.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I tried from Instagram as well, but couldn't figure it out.

Edited by pombe

@pombe The style is super cool, I don't "art" enough to describe what I mean better, it is kinda surreal? AND THEN IT MOVES! Thats awesome, clever little build! and funny!

On 12/17/2020 at 9:49 PM, pombe said:

Bleeeaaarcchhh!

19th December!

Spoiler

50563729117_f0fa892854_s.jpg Captain K: "The war on Terraversa has been raging on for some months, so me and the crew lit up a bonfire, where we invited the local Resistance fighters to come and join us. For Merrymas we forget the war and try making some new good memories! The girls are always in for a party!"

Bonfire on Terraversa!

The harmonica-guy from my first Captain K post with Saxophone-Joe, his sidekick :monkey: have joined the celebrations as well!

Some compliments to the great list of entries so far:

Spoiler

@Darnok Your idea and organizing this thing deserves praise, very well done bro!

@Ross Fisher Nice seeing the Padre doing something constructive for once :pir_tong2:

@Mesabi thanks for the kinds words and your build was very nice as well!

@evancelt the wall of the first post is very nicely done. I always struggle with round shapes myself and you did a terrific job! The second build was even better: maybe IMO the coolest idea of this whole Calendar! The dream-cloud-idea was superb.

@Brickwolf Cool idea of Santa Claus with Black Pete! Reminds me of "Sinterklaas" which we celebrate here around the 5th of December in Holland. Your second build is cool too.

@Spud The Viking those floor tiles are great man.. Good job!

@Kai NRG beautiful tree and water>sand design.

@count Vroski: that winter house is very cosy. Nice one.

@Kotz nice curved walls and a neat interior scene.

@dr_spock another original dr Spock build! I love the classic feel.

@Faladrin: very funny idea bringing old beard Caliqot back for Advent!

@CapsOnBobs amazing story man! Great you've made it for us to enjoy!

@Bodi cool incorporation of those Minifigs!

@Khorne love the input you do for the Essen story, great build too.

@Pombe another neat build and a well worked out idea! Hard to compete with you coming right after you :pir-grin:

Where going great guys!

Edited by Fraunces

The 20th of december :

Spoiler

The Christmas meal for the crew of the Andromeda, a giant roasted gloogloo (there are no enough sized turkey on Tortuga)

It will be served with veggies and a cocorite sauce and fair amount of barrel full of beer.

Merry Christmas

lle2.jpg

2sbi.jpg

The 21st of December

Spoiler

Near the end of December, many, many years ago, the snow fell in Breshaun. It was something very unusual, considering the latitude: most of the children had never seen the snow before, while the adults felt a little less far from home.

That very night, a strange galleon appeared in the harbour. It had jolly red sails and golden, warm-lighted lanterns; hundreds of tiny bells had been hung to the yardarms, were they merrily jingled in the wind. As if it had not been strange enough, the “Sledge” -this was the name of the ship- had eight reindeers as figurehead.

During the night Captain Claus and his “elves”, as the captain called them, were seen all around the town, with a list of all the children and wonderful presents to give them. Early in the morning they completed their tour -Breshaun was still a small town- and disappeared with the Sledge, leaving behind only the gifts and the memory of that magic night -plus some weird snowmen that looked ready to infest the seas and divide plunders.

Curiously, that was also the morning in which both the town bank and the governor’s coffers were found completely empty... but this is another story, and I’ll tell you another day!

50740431621_f86ee83094_o

Edited by Keymonus

22nd December (the late one)

Spoiler

Merrymas is always the time of coming together with family and friends for most people. Still there are some others who hold out and do the work that has to be done. To all of those that can not see their loved ones and all the others, a heartfelt - Merry Christmas!

50748525552_8e31a688af.jpgMerrymas by Lego Naut, auf Flickr

Already posted it yesterday, don't know what went wrong with the upload @Professor Thaum

Day 23

Spoiler

50751188956_c60e4e9fa9_w.jpg

In Mesabi Landing Karl Mordo shares a drink with the night watchman to toast to Merrynight

Day 24 - Merrymas Eve!

Spoiler

And on the eve of Merrymas, folk from all over the Brick Seas gather for a festive celebration. Here a special group gather in Barracuda Bay, where infamous pirate Captain Redbeard has hired Jose's Inn out for their very own Merrymas Party!

50752803081_4a4aa951a0_b.jpg

50752909962_3e9cfce2a0_c.jpg

50752071883_1a2ce0ae90_c.jpg

and to ensure things remain within the bounds of acceptable civilised behaviour, a vigilant Uncle watches over all after having already surveyed the sturdiness of the nearby palm trees!

50752802656_d6939d547c_c.jpg

What a fun idea Ayrlego!  Great way to close it off.  And you've got Uncle in just the right place too. :pir-grin:

Great job bringing this together everyone! 

Fun build, @Ayrlego! I like the red/green flag garland and seeing all of the characters together. Hope you're feeling better.

What's the backstory on Uncle, @Kai NRG?

Good work all around everyone!

Edited by evancelt

Nice advent calendar. Thanks to all.

@Ayrlego

Great to see so many main characters of the BoBS members celebrating the Merrymas. A really very good idea.:pir-huzzah2:

18 hours ago, evancelt said:

What's the backstory on Uncle, @Kai NRG?

Unfortunately Flickr made me delete a lot of old photos (I do have most of 'em around somewhere and might get around to replacing them someday...) but here is the earliest hanging that still has a picture.  I keep track of all my stories in this thread so you may find more to amuse you there. :pir-grin:  At least the stories are all intact!

Everyone did a wonderful job with the BoBS advent calendar! I wish I could have participated this year. I hope @Darnok will consider managing this again next year. :thumbup:

@Ayrlego, great way to wrap things up! I love seeing collections of BoBS characters like that. Well done.

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas! :pir-huzzah2: