I'm happy to report that this thing is a delightful change from the awful 42070, especially in terms of suspension and details. It's like these two sets were designed on separate planets.

Nice review.

Just came home from work and to check if there is a review...:laugh:

It's goning to be hard this time. I normally buy only one box each year but 42070 and this one are great.

Edited by MikeTwo9398

Thanks for this review, it was justified to stay awake that long :laugh:

This set really takes the cake: the suspension, the compactness, the visual details, seats that are not blue, even suspending the bogies from small turntables releases stress from the driving axles!

For me, this definitely is the spiritual successor to 8466, down to the two-parted doors.

How is the rear axle suspended? From what i could see, there still should be a degree of freedom to sway left to right. Does it have a panhard rod?

No Panhard rod. There are three 5L suspension arms with towballs connecting it to the chassis: two on the sides, one on top. That's sufficient to eliminate the sway.

Thanks Pawel,  Amazing review and set! Another model by Milan that don't disappoint. It's basically a model build by an AFOL for AFOLs 

Definitely those are the big sets we are looking for: Great looks, great and interesting functions,  great building experience and use of pieces,  and an inventory with a lot unique and useful pieces (something like 42043, 42054, 8110 and so.)

Also, It's a nice addition to the Off-road vehicles like 8466 and 8297

Few questions 

Are you going to build the B Model when instructions will be available? Do you see enough space or the possibility to place a basic 4 speed gearbox l? 

Just now, Jonfensu said:

Are you going to build the B Model when instructions will be available? Do you see enough space or the possibility to place a basic 4 speed gearbox l? 

1. Sure 2. No, I highly doubt it.

Thanks for putting out his review so quickly! Excellent work , as always! :thumbup:

I will definitely pick this set up at least once, twice if I can! I see a strong possibility for lots of modding here... :excited:

The wedge belt wheel in black appeared in a few sets. The most recent being 9467 in 2012.

Excellent review, as always. 

Thanks, Great review! This set looks so much better than the 42069 and better price. I will get this set!

Ever once I first saw the 42068, 42069 and 42070 I liked this set better. Your reviews just confirmed my feelings on the sets.

The doors are amazing and the suspension is very interesting. I will be using tires instead if tracks. 

Looking forward to the B- model review.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Great Review, this is really good change from 42070. I loved this set. 

1 hour ago, Andy D said:

The doors are amazing and the suspension is very interesting. I will be using tires instead if tracks.

I second that, somehow tracks don't move freely particularly this type.

Great review of a great set:thumbup:
I have it on pre-order, can't wait to get my hands on it.:wub:

One minor remark on the review: I think the 11L LBG axle is also a new colour this year, right?

5 hours ago, Sariel said:

three 5L suspension arms

Ah, i never saw the third suspension arm. Thanks :classic:

4 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

42054 or 42069? Which is better?

It's hard to decide this with just one review without having the set. In my eyes they're completely different.

Seeing them as a parts pack: 42069 is for vehicles with suspension and looks. 42054 is for machines with somewhat complex functions.

7 hours ago, Sariel said:

It's like these two sets were designed on separate planets.

Thank you for confirming this that's how it looked like on first glimpse :D Great video as always. Thank you for your hard work :)

So, should I buy 42069 or 42043(benz truck)? I am deeply concerning about this.... 

I think it looks better with wheels.

Does seem odd they didn't include both options. That would have been pretty cool.

Excellent review. I think this is a really nice set, and it even comes with a hamster storage space. What more could you want?

9 hours ago, Sariel said:

Thank you, Sariel, for yet another excellent review.

looking at the video of building I guess I know the answer, but anyway: Do you by any chance have any pictures without stickers? Thanks.

Another great review, is this a set you actually like?! :wink:

Why this set was not branded as "Extreme Off-Roader 3" I'll never know... 

3 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

One minor remark on the review: I think the 11L LBG axle is also a new colour this year, right?

Yes the LBG 11L axle is new to 2017, but does not make its first appearance in this set; it's also available in the SW Y-wing and the carousel. 

Edited by JTS

Thank you for the review. I liked this set from the moment I saw the first pictures and now I am sure that I will be getting it almost as soon as it hits the shelves. However I do hope that there will be a fairly easy way of making it RC to increase the playability :thumbup:

9 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

Thanks for this review, it was justified to stay awake that long :laugh:

This set really takes the cake: the suspension, the compactness, the visual details, seats that are not blue, even suspending the bogies from small turntables releases stress from the driving axles!

For me, this definitely is the spiritual successor to 8466, down to the two-parted doors.

How is the rear axle suspended? From what i could see, there still should be a degree of freedom to sway left to right. Does it have a panhard rod?

As I already said about week ago on 2017 sets forum with three suspension arms like front axles on 42043 set :wink:

As a spiritial successor of 8466 you defenetly have a point :thumbup: with suspension on 42069 more suitable to off roader than 8466

Edited by I_Igor

Maybe it is possible to replace the small turntables by normal wheel hubs, so that there is less offset when using wheels. It would require some modification of the axle units to fit with the wider center-part of the wheel hubs compared to turntables.