Recommended Posts

In the forest that ringed a Black Spire castle, Lord Maestro's men busied them selves constructing siege weapons. Prepared in modules back in Avalonia, soaring siege towers and devastating were slowly being pieced together (almost like Lego :tongue:). Today Lord Maestro surveyed a new contraption. Adapted from an ordinary Ballista , The Maestro's architects swore it was twice as powerful. To show their allegiance was to Avalonia they had fitted it with a Dragon head, the emblem of our their guild.

33231426872_b5f0993972_z.jpg

33231428252_febfc8fe72_z.jpg

A close up

33346664296_3a7f012a70_z.jpg

Looking down the barrel of the beast

33231633902_1434471b9e_z.jpg

33259638511_156d12da1b_z.jpg

33346668296_0c562aeb11_z.jpg

Entry to challenge V Category B, this was an interesting build. I have only done something like this once, and you can probably see the resemblance :tongue:  I hope the Dragon head looks ok to you guys, because im not completely satisfied with it. I think the landscape turned out good though, that red stuff is meant to be moss/grass. 
Should have Cat D up soon, C&C needed and hope you enjoy :classic:

Edited by The Maestro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ballista is very nice, I really like the dragon-head (especially the use of minifig-arms is quite cool!)

The backgrounds also makes for a very Nocturnian surrounding, great job :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Ballista !

I wanted to build one myself but never figured it out how to make a good ballista... I think I will look at your technique for future builds.

An overall great entry !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spindly dead trees set the location well and this modified Ballista looks like it will be quite menacing when finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! This is an amazing build! I really love the way you got the grey slope piece to turn on the edge like that. And the ballista itself is just amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent ballista, Maestro! I like the shaping of the wood parts, and the tree in the background, as Gideon said, is impressive in its own right. I think the dragon head looks a bit more like a wolf, but that could be because it is grey; even still, it is epic. Perhaps my favorite part of the build, however, is the action you have created. This is a weapon actively under construction, with piles of wood being carried and pieces being fastened on as we watch. Very nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2017 at 0:07 AM, Faladrin said:

Great Ballista !

I wanted to build one myself but never figured it out how to make a good ballista... I think I will look at your technique for future builds.

An overall great entry !

Thanks Faladrin, i'm glad this helped

On 3/12/2017 at 11:07 PM, TitusV said:

The ballista is very nice, I really like the dragon-head (especially the use of minifig-arms is quite cool!)

The backgrounds also makes for a very Nocturnian surrounding, great job :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus :classic:

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 AM, Muakhah said:

The spindly dead trees set the location well and this modified Ballista looks like it will be quite menacing when finished.

The dead trees are a favourite of mine too, and I would find facing this beast in battle would be very menacing indeed.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:46 AM, Dankyee said:

Wow! This is an amazing build! I really love the way you got the grey slope piece to turn on the edge like that. And the ballista itself is just amazing.

Thanks Dankyee, The rock was a fun challenge and I also enjoyed making the ballista.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:14 AM, en_zoo said:

really nice, it does look pretty powerful indeed ^

Thanks En_zoo

On 3/13/2017 at 8:19 AM, Gideon said:

Very nice ballista, but to me the tree steals the show a bit :wink:

I agree, the tree is my favourite part too.

On 3/14/2017 at 1:19 AM, narbilu said:

one of the coolest ballista designs ever!

Thanks Narbilu :thumbup:

On 3/14/2017 at 4:15 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Excellent ballista, Maestro! I like the shaping of the wood parts, and the tree in the background, as Gideon said, is impressive in its own right. I think the dragon head looks a bit more like a wolf, but that could be because it is grey; even still, it is epic. Perhaps my favorite part of the build, however, is the action you have created. This is a weapon actively under construction, with piles of wood being carried and pieces being fastened on as we watch. Very nice!

Yeah I agree, I wasn't quite happy with the dragon head in the end but it still serves its purpose. I do love creating action scenes, so thanks for noting :classic:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the overall color scheme.  It lends to the idea of a war machine being built, I think.  The dead tree and scaffolding are awesome.  Great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat twist to a standard ballista by doubling the arms :thumbup: The little shack and various men hard at work definitely portrays the construction process well, and that tree is lovely :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very intimidating weapon indeed! And the landscape looks wonderfully Nocturnian too, especially the dead tree. This definitely feels under construction, and busy preparing for war, so well done portraying that. Great work! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one big ballista... *huh* I like your technique with the frame for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 4:21 PM, Grover said:

I like the overall color scheme.  It lends to the idea of a war machine being built, I think.  The dead tree and scaffolding are awesome.  Great work!

Thanks Grover, I am glad you like the scene.

On 3/16/2017 at 7:11 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Neat twist to a standard ballista by doubling the arms :thumbup: The little shack and various men hard at work definitely portrays the construction process well, and that tree is lovely :classic:

Thanks you SK, a standard ballista seemed not fearsome enough so doubling the arms was really the only thing I could do :tongue:

On 3/16/2017 at 10:14 AM, Legofin2012 said:

A very intimidating weapon indeed! And the landscape looks wonderfully Nocturnian too, especially the dead tree. This definitely feels under construction, and busy preparing for war, so well done portraying that. Great work! :thumbup:

Thanks alot Legofin, I was hoping the landscape would portray nocty enough.  

On 3/18/2017 at 7:08 AM, Windusky said:

That is one big ballista... *huh* I like your technique with the frame for it.

Well you know what they say: "The bigger the better" :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A weapon of epic proportions, perfectly befitting the description of this catagory ("... the likes of which Historica has never seen before!"). Unusual shaping, plus the integrated dragon head decoration (which indeed looks like a wolf head to me) makes this a very fine piece of equipment! Nice work on the irregular base and construction process as well. :classic::thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is actually the first Ballista from lego that I've actually really liked. It looks pretty functional and intimidating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this a few days ago on Flickr, and thought the head at the end of the ballista was a great rendition of a wolf.  I'm still getting more wolf than dragon from it, even now knowing what your intent was.  Maybe some horns would have helped?  Still, great work either way! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really wonderful work on this, Maestro! :wub: The head mounted on the front is superb, and as Henjin noted, you did a great job capturing the action of the scene.
Fantastic landscaping to top it all off too :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.