Romanista

[MOC] Honda NSX (NA1) – 42143 Alternate Build

Hi forum,

This is my first topic and first MOC shared with the LEGO community.

The original Honda/Acura NSX is one of the most iconic Japanese sports cars ever made, boasting a high-revving V6 mounted in the middle, fantastic handling, and styling that still looks gorgeous even after 30 years.

1.JPEG

Functions & Features:

• Double wishbone suspension on all wheels
  • Positive caster in the front
  • HoG steering with moving steering wheel
  • Ackermann steering geometry
  • 4+R speed transmission gearbox
  • DNR selector and speed shifter
  • V6 fake engine
  • Pop up headlights (linkage system)
  • Opening hood, doors and trunk
  • Imitation of glass engine cover (by flex hoses)
  • Detailed interior

Plus a handful of custom stickers for better appearance.

2.JPG

3.JPEG

6.JPEG

I've done my best to replicate the appearance of the original model and tried to pay attention to every aspect. During the construction process, I’ve faced with several challenges:

• Personally, the biggest problem was a limited variety of parts in the Daytona set. On the one hand, the set owner has 3,778 parts in the inventory. Com'on... But it was so difficult to find appropriate solutions without bevel gears and common connectors. Original set also had a limited number of transparent system parts for doing realistic rear headlights.
  • Additionally, from the beginning I decided to have a positive caster in the front. It increased the complexity of the chassis significantly.

However, the final result looks fine for me – both appearance and sturdiness.

Please share your comments about the build. But please don’t be too demanding – this is my first MOC which I am sharing...

Spoiler

4.JPEG

8.jpg

There is no instruction at the moment, since I have zero experience in BL Studio. But if your comments regarding this MOC will be positive, I may change my mind and will start to prepare it  :wink:

Edited by Romanista
spaces

I like it! The look is clean, and the functionality is nice too! That front suspension with castor looks very nice, and the transverse engine and pop-up headlights are nice touches! I'm also glad you didn't leave out a gearbox

Excellent job. This looks incredible. A strong contender for one of the best B models of the last few years

The rear lights solution is very creative, finally a good use for those ugly orange pins :grin: 

Edited by LvdH

4 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I like it! The look is clean, and the functionality is nice too! That front suspension with castor looks very nice, and the transverse engine and pop-up headlights are nice touches! I'm also glad you didn't leave out a gearbox

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

Excellent job. This looks incredible. A strong contender for one of the best B models of the years

The rear lights solution is very creative, finally a good use for those ugly orange pins :grin: 

Gents, great thanks for your positive comments! :blush:

Yep, during the process, I've done several prototypes of rear lights using system parts, but this variant looks more appropriate. Thanks, LvdH. 

3 hours ago, Alex Ilea said:

This is a cool build, well done.

Happy to hear praise from you, Alex, guru of alternative modelling. Your Supra is great!

Superb job, you got talent, man :thumbup:! Perfect faithful proportions, this paneling work with the main bodyline angled is very eye-pleasing :wub:. That's what attention to details is about, the faithful sticker job included. Hats off for these creative rearlights + popup headlights. Besides the looks, which are stellar considering the limitations, you´ve managed to put in a working gearbox and the caster angle. On the downside it seems not to steer very well (?) - correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw. - you don't need Stud.io to make instructions. You seem to have very good camera equipment and take care of a clean presentation - the best preconditions. Just take the model apart in rational subassemblies, take a picture and one more of the parts included - that will become a useful building instruction backwards. It means hard work, this sort of fun is not for everybody.

And be aware of the 100% risk of being robbed by pirates navigating in the swamp, that´s the darkside of the hobby. The alternative is to find a set manufacturer who will take care of the legal protection as well. That means a win-win for everybody IMHO.

8 hours ago, Romanista said:

Please share your comments about the build. But please don’t be too demanding – this is my first MOC which I am sharing...

You should definitely be proud of what you’ve come up! This is far cleaner than anything I came up with for my first MOC, and you’ve done it as a b-model with a limited inventory as well. Love the taillights especially, that’s next level thinking and creativity. 

Whew! The taillights work very well for me!

...But next time I'd like to see a real VTEC with variable cam timing (depending on throttle position and engine speed), please. ...Just kidding :laugh:

It does look like an actual MOC instead of an alternate build. So you make me buying another Daytona just for this MOC. 

10 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

gearbox and the caster angle. On the downside it seems not to steer very well (?) - correct me if I'm wrong.

OMG, thank you, I'm proud to hear praise from you, Bruno. 

Steering angle is rather good, much better than Daytona has. However, I’ve just realized that it isn’t shown on my photos at all  :wacko:

If you talk about efforts needed to steer, I would say the steering is average... Not only because of caster geometry. Big wide tires and 1:1 gears ratio for HoG (using knobs, zero bevels in the set) also impact the smoothness.

Steering2.JPG

12 hours ago, Milan said:

Frontpaged!

8 hours ago, pow said:

Whew! The taillights work very well for me!

2 hours ago, Ethan0080 said:

It does look like an actual MOC instead of an alternate build. So you make me buying another Daytona just for this MOC. 

Thanks for your kind works, gents!

Edited by Romanista

I have always liked the Honda NSX very much for its design, and your MOC honors it quite perfectly, I think. Kudos for your great work!

The only thing I can hear trying to convince you that you should NOT make the instructions for your model is... my wallet :laugh:

Oh, and welcome to EuroBricks! You may just have made the best first post since a while ago.

Edited by Celeri

Great model. Looks and (seems to :wink:) work good.

The rear light are very well executed, but the whole exterior design is very pleasing.

This is amazing, and I am particularly impressed by the way you implemented the rear taillights. It's hands down the best Daytona alt build so far. You should definitely release instructions for it, it would be a waste for the community to not be able to replicate this!

I’m not aware of another nsx aside from @Gray Gear’s version which was an MOC and not a b build. Really, the lines look fantastic.  

On 9/14/2023 at 12:51 AM, Celeri said:

I have always liked the Honda NSX very much for its design, and your MOC honors it quite perfectly, I think. Kudos for your great work!

The only thing I can hear trying to convince you that you should NOT make the instructions for your model is... my wallet :laugh:

Oh, and welcome to EuroBricks! You may just have made the best first post since a while ago.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:44 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow what a perfect model! :wub:

You've done an impressive job! :thumbup:

After years this super car is still beautiful! :pir-huzzah2:

18 hours ago, johnnytifosi said:

This is amazing, and I am particularly impressed by the way you implemented the rear taillights. It's hands down the best Daytona alt build so far. You should definitely release instructions for it, it would be a waste for the community to not be able to replicate this!

11 hours ago, KevinMD said:

I’m not aware of another nsx aside from @Gray Gear’s version which was an MOC and not a b build. Really, the lines look fantastic.  

Thank you for the very positive feedback. I really appreciate it. 

PS - finally, I've decided to explore Studio software. It requires a lot of efforts, but there are a lot of opportunities (for endless re-designing process  :pir-triumph:). Maybe, the instruction will be available soon...

Screenshot2.JPG

Edited by Romanista

4 hours ago, Romanista said:

PS - finally, I've decided to explore Studio software. It requires a lot of efforts, but there are a lot of opportunities (for endless re-designing process  :pir-triumph:). Maybe, the instruction will be available soon...

One tip: do use sub-models right from the beginning. It is easier to generate instructions if the model is divided in sub-models (and sub-sub models...). Consider how your MOC splits in major groups and build a sub-model for each part. If you don´t do it from the beginning, it is much more difficult to split.

Only just seen this, wow you’ve done a great job with this, especially as it’s a B model.

May I ask how you did the pop up lights mechanism ?

Great job on this, and I'm happy it is getting the recognition it deserves. I'm happy with the subtle flex axle you used for the rear window. It gives the rear the perfect shape even though it does not have a c pillar.

Also, the front headlights are a great little feature.

On 9/15/2023 at 6:55 PM, Thirdwigg said:

Great job on this, and I'm happy it is getting the recognition it deserves.

Thanks for your kind words! 

On 9/15/2023 at 5:23 PM, Seasider said:

May I ask how you did the pop up lights mechanism ?

Regarding the pop up headlights. This works with linkage system. I can't make the quality photo right now but maybe a little bit later I can share a clear design from Studio.

In short words, I've tried to find right levers to connect angled headlights assembly with the starting point. Additionally, I've added a standard 90° stepper with rubber band to have clear on/off modes which are fixed. 

Wow, you've captured the detail and proportions of the NSX very well.  For a first MOC, this is one of the cleanest B Models I've seen.  Pease consider making instructions because I will definitely grab another 42143 set just to build this.  Amazing job!  I rarely post on here but had to share my thoughts. 

Regardless of your choice,  Can't wait to see what you'll build next.

Edited by Migeta22

Wow! Now this is what I call a proper B-model for a 1:8 supercar. Even the 5-spoke rims fit the NSX well, plus the proportions and functions are phenomenal. How many parts were left over from this @Romanista?