This Eiffel Tower sounds so delightful but expsnsive and enormous… I wish I could have some room for Colosseum and Eiffel Tower, oh well….

No, no no, no no!!!  I was hoping this to be rubbish so I don't have to buy it.  But it's really good!!  Makes the 10181 Eiffel Tower look blocky by comparison.

I wonder how this will affect prices of the 10181.  Even second-hand sets go for £500+.  Hey, if you own one, you could sell it to buy the new one.  I didn't get the set back in 2007, and I didn't want to pay out the high prices it goes for now, so my set is actually a clone.

On 11/12/2022 at 3:53 AM, MartyMcFly said:

No, no no, no no!!!  I was hoping this to be rubbish so I don't have to buy it.  But it's really good!!  Makes the 10181 Eiffel Tower look blocky by comparison.

I wonder how this will affect prices of the 10181.  Even second-hand sets go for £500+.  Hey, if you own one, you could sell it to buy the new one.  I didn't get the set back in 2007, and I didn't want to pay out the high prices it goes for now, so my set is actually a clone.

New sealed will maintain for lego set collectors, but you’ll probably see a large reset on pricing for used and new open box due to a superior product.  The SW line definitely showed me this with a few of the UCS sets (falcon, ISD, snow speeder, y-wing). 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, MartyMcFly said:

Makes the 10181 Eiffel Tower look blocky by comparison.

Every set makes the 10181 Eiffel tower look blocky by comparison, even 10181 itself, because the 10181 simply is blocky, because it's built up by stacking bricks in a "staircase" manner, instead of setting long struts at an angle.

So it's very understandable this set is getting a rehash. Whether it needed 10000 parts is questionable, but big seems to be the norm, at least it's looking good. Way out of my league financially, but what's cool about Lego is that all instructions are free to download :)

The pics are up on ig and it is massive.  You need a big place to display that. It’s almost like new furniture in your livingroom. It does look beautiful but way too big for me. I’ll just enjoy it in a LEGO store. 

I just saw the Eiffel apartment GWP and I just have this to say (partially reposted from my comment on Brickset):

Too... many... stickers!
*rocks back and forth on heels muttering* Stickers! Stickers everywhere!

Officially revealed and viewable as Coming Soon on lego.com.

It's nice and all, but ridiculously large. That's a no from me dawg, I don't have the real estate to display it anywhere.

God, that is gorgeous. The techniques used for the various trusses are incredible. Definitely does far more justice to the engineering and structure of the real thing than any previous Lego depiction (especially the ugly 2007 version).

Don't really have the interest, space, or budget for this, but dang if they didn't make the best version of this they possibly could.

8 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Don't really have the interest, space, or budget for this,

And that right there - literally - is the elephant in the room.

Aside from obsessed Francophiles with space to fill, sales of this will be very very limited. Too big, too expensive and lacking the subject interest of the Titanic.

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum’s dinosaur scientist “those LEGO marketeers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should”. 

17 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

And that right there - literally - is the elephant in the room.

Aside from obsessed Francophiles with space to fill, sales of this will be very very limited. Too big, too expensive and lacking the subject interest of the Titanic.

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum’s dinosaur scientist “those LEGO marketeers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should”. 

I don't know why you would assume that the Titanic necessarily has more "subject interest" than an architectural set like this. I feel like the Eiffel Tower is at least as well-known, and arguably more impactful on modern engineering than a boat most famous for sinking.

Anyway, New Elementary has a very good interview with the designer of this set that goes into some neat detail about the unique challenges and design considerations in this set: https://www.newelementary.com/2022/11/lego-10307-eiffel-tower-designer.html

Very beautiful model, all the shapes and angles are very impressive to me. It doesn’t have the same appeal  as the Titanic for me, but that might just be me. Beautiful model nonetheless, but a too big and expensive for me now for what it is.

For those in the US, the price of the Eiffel on LEGO.com has been changed from $680 (where it was this morning) to $630 on S&H. While it's possible this is a mistake, I just wanted to let y'all know... It is interesting if purposeful.

I see this set as complete display disaster :devil: .

Dusting, maintaining pieces in perfect allignemt or accidentally knocking some area of Eiffel tower. I have dog, definitely he will knock it with tail for sure....

My purchase will going to lego store to see it, and then proceed to buy something completely different :tongue: .

My nitpick? Where is restaurant on first floor, when I was on eiffel tower in 2005 there were some stores on these floors. Well this set is 10001 pieces so why not crank it up a bit and go extra mile.

What a beautiful set! It’s a perfect timing or the next Summer Olympics - it will be in Paris in 2024.

Edited by DBlegonerd7
Corrected the year

It looks awesome. This will likely have to a be a set I get but have to store for decades until I move to a home with enough space to display lol. I wonder how much farther the boundary for piece count and height will be pushed. Not sure how much taller than 5 feet you can realistically go, but I would't be surprised if a non-art set goes even higher than 10,001 pieces. 

I did read the inches as cm at first and thought.. Hmm, I can with that in an IKEA Detolf.

Then I saw the size in cm. Nope, I will not have room to display this.

10 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

What a beautiful set! It’s a perfect timing or the next Summer Olympics - it will be in Paris next year. 

2024 actually

On 11/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, Lucarex said:

Aside from obsessed Francophiles with space to fill, sales of this will be very very limited.

The only reason I would want this set would be to MOC the bungee jumping scenes from An American Werewolf In Paris. But there's no way I'd pay that much for a Lego set. I feel like a lot of the recent price increases will harm Lego sales, I hope Lego doesn't end up dying like it almost did before they started doing licenced themes

Have any of you bought and built the magnificent Lego Icons Eiffel Tower Set: 10307 or are you waiting till Santa comes to build it? I was wondering how you found the build process and if you had any useful tips for parts of the build which may be more challenging? I’m intending to go to the Lego store and see it on display to see how big it is on display and hope to buy it next year. I want to build my Lego Empire State Building, White House and Taj Mahal sets and make my mind up whether or not to buy and build the Titanic first before I buy the Eiffel Tower. The Titanic is an incredible set but I am concerned that the build will be too challenging for me and the space it requires to be put on display. The largest set I have built so far is Tower Bridge and I normally buy the landmark sets because of the interest I have in architecture around the world. 

I couldn’t find an icons set discussion, so I’m putting this here

why have we never gotten an AMERICAN stadium

examples: astrodome, superdome (New Orleans), Michigan stadium, etc

or, a licensed roller coaster set, like kingda ka, fury 325, steel dragon 2000, the smil- oh wait

anyway My point is that Lego needs to market to non Europeans, but this is just my dream list

On 12/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, Lemerbrix said:

I couldn’t find an icons set discussion, so I’m putting this here

why have we never gotten an AMERICAN stadium

examples: astrodome, superdome (New Orleans), Michigan stadium, etc

or, a licensed roller coaster set, like kingda ka, fury 325, steel dragon 2000, the smil- oh wait

anyway My point is that Lego needs to market to non Europeans, but this is just my dream list

I don't know, and this is very much a random person on the Internet saying 'what I reckon', but I suspect those locations don't have much appeal outside the US. Again, I don't know, but it feels like most US centric sports that require stadia aren't followed extensively outside the US. I live in US now, but I'm from the UK. I've not heard of any of those. Rides are probably even worse, and I've not heard of those either. Whereas since if the European stadia are more globally known? Again, no idea, and the US market may be big enough to support it alone, but that would be my take 

25 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I don't know, and this is very much a random person on the Internet saying 'what I reckon', but I suspect those locations don't have much appeal outside the US. Again, I don't know, but it feels like most US centric sports that require stadia aren't followed extensively outside the US. I live in US now, but I'm from the UK. I've not heard of any of those. Rides are probably even worse, and I've not heard of those either. Whereas since if the European stadia are more globally known? Again, no idea, and the US market may be big enough to support it alone, but that would be my take 

Good point, heck, I hadn’t even heard of Michigan stadium until recently