18 minutes ago, IA creations said:

Me too :)

...but sometimes I "misscalculate" myself and build sets (Unimog, Volvo and Arocs) and keep them even today, despite the initial goal to go just for parts

After having seen some of the sets, my opinion on them is a bit mixed.

I personally find the rally car really ugly; it's clear to me that the lack of variety in blue panels hindered the design. Good to see 2x5x7 panels in blue, but why aren the existing 2x3x5 and 1x2x5 panels nearly absent? For me, the design lacks finesse and detail, it just looks like a few large panels are thrown in without an attempt to fill the gaps/corners with smaller pieces. Also, the coloring is a bit too mixed-up. So I suspect the designers had to stay within a limited budget here.
Also, the car could really do with better wheel arches than 42039, e.g. by adding a blue flex axle.
But I'm really glad it's not red.
But Technic isn't about looks, so I really hope that the functionality makes up for it. IMO there should be at least drive, steer, suspension, fake engine and openable doors. I think the headlights will fold down. But let it please have a gearbox. That would make it much more interesting, and all that would be needed to have a proper (non-licenced) supercar again.

The fire jeep looks decent, but nothing special. I suspect it's part of a play theme along with 42068. There looks to be a winch. A nice surprise would be some kind of suspension, even if it's only a pendular rear axle. Not sure what other functions this could have, except drive, steer and some opening doors and side panels.

The catamaran looks good but I fear it's - again... - heavily dependent on stickers, and I'm fearful of what's left of the blue-yellow color scheme if left unstickered. Also I fear it's mostly large panels and little else. But let's hope for some functionality inside. Also, not sure whether this is blue or dark azure. My guess is it's normal blue, with the 2x3x11 curved panels we saw in 42042.

The hovercraft looks nice, although I'm not a fan of the shaping, I do think it can pack some functions. I expect hidden wheels to drive the fans, and some way to steer it, where the rudders are again linked to a set of wheels. There's also a simple ramp. But the unusual shape means longer geartrains, which can be interesting. The added car doesn't appeal to me, it might be without functions but I hope it has steering and a pendular rear axle. (both are possible at this scale).
My other concern with this set is that it's again a lot of large panels. I hope there's movement in the skirt, so that it can look like how a real hovercraft starts and stops. But I suspect it's fixed, like all hovercraft has been in the past.

But it's very nice to see a hovercraft again, in a decent sized set.

All in all, these four sets look decent, albeit a bit simple. A lot depends on the rally car having a gearbox or not, and the functions of the sailboat. I like how they're trying out new subjects/themes, but I hope this doesn't come at the cost of losing functionality, which is in the end what Technic is about.

I haven't seen the other sets yet.
Edited by Erik Leppen

50 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I was going to think of 8070's rear end

I am always thinking of 8070's rear end

Have to agree with the comments on set 42069. When it was first revealed it wasn't as warmly greeted as it is now it's been released and many have built it.

That set is a real gem of 2017, and has some interesting build features. The rubber parts for hinges etc are genius.

As I said, let's wait and see when the sets are in shops and reviewed. As for the mention no name who had a rant at me. He's entitled to opinion. As we all are.

I've only seen 2 pictures so far, not sure if there are more, but there is one thing that is slightly bothering me: Technic sets are becoming more similar to city than before. It the (not so distant) past, Technic sets we're all about functions. Sure they had some nice looking details but the focus of Technic has always been always the mechanics. But in recent times, since the advent of the new panels, looks have started to shadow functions. Take a look at 42064, it's just a bunch of panels with little functions. And for 2018, the catamaran and the hovercraft seem to be the same.

Now I hope TLG proves me wrong and that these two sets have awesome functions. After all, we've only seen some blurry pictures and there is still a long way until January :classic:

Sorry for the long post but this was really bothering me.

Yeah, I may have jumped to conclusions. But, as it stands now, I am not impressed with much of the lineup. And, I to am worried about Technic becoming too much like City, but I think it's too early to draw that conclusion.

3 hours ago, jotta93 said:

I've only seen 2 pictures so far, not sure if there are more, but there is one thing that is slightly bothering me: Technic sets are becoming more similar to city than before. It the (not so distant) past, Technic sets we're all about functions. Sure they had some nice looking details but the focus of Technic has always been always the mechanics. But in recent times, since the advent of the new panels, looks have started to shadow functions. Take a look at 42064, it's just a bunch of panels with little functions. And for 2018, the catamaran and the hovercraft seem to be the same.

Now I hope TLG proves me wrong and that these two sets have awesome functions. After all, we've only seen some blurry pictures and there is still a long way until January :classic:

Sorry for the long post but this was really bothering me.

The line is really blurry if you look at some Ninjago streetracers. In the prelim pics there are hardly any systembricks visible.

What disturbs me a bit about the pullback vehicles, is that they're essentially the same set. I know we had these sets in pairs for some time now, but at least in previous years they were most of the time two different vehicles. Now they're two almost identical cars. Also, the pop-off "engine" thing doesn't look very engine-like.

The small container truck looks perfect for the target audience. The cabin looks a bit crude, but at least it doesn't have a one-part container like 8065 did. Two functions, steering and loading, looks to be enough for a set this size.

The dozer is an odd one out, I think. Why the weird futuristic wheels? Also, why "compactor"? And why the blue sprockets? What does this tell about 2018H2? I'm sure this new recolor isn't just for this set...

As for the Mack. I have the idea that Lego wants to set very high expectations for this, which we have seen earlier with the Porsche. We know how that went... OK, so given what we see, what functions can it have?
- Steering
- Fake engine
- Outriggers
- Container loading/unloading
So that's four functions (not counting openable doors, hood, etc.) If that's the complete list, and if it would be all manual, then that would be a bit light, for such a large set. But there might be PF somewhere, or a function selector system. Let's hope in any case that there's more than meets the eye. And who knows in what ways the shaping and color scheme will surprise us.

46 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

...Why the weird futuristic wheels? Also, why "compactor"? ...

A compactor is an real life, very specialized vehicle, most often used in landfill sites to move around trash and to compacti the waste by its weight while driving over it, hence the name.

I guess the weird wheels are about the only shape that gives some grip on a strange surface like landfill. And since is doesn't need to lift anything, it has more in common with a dozer than a front loader (although a lot of compactors are actually based on front loaders)

Not the most glamorous vehicle, I agree, but it is original for TLG and it will look good while driving over your pile of unsorted bricks.

cat-landfill-compactor-cm20160617-04799-

Edited by Cumulonimbus

4 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

A compactor is an actual specialized vehicle, most often used in landfill sites to move around trash and compacting  the waste by its weight while driving over it.

I guess the weird wheel are about the only thing that gives some grip on a strange surface like landfill. And since is doesn't need to lift anything it is more in common with a dozer than a front loader (although a lot of compactors are actually based on front loaders)

Not the most glamorous vehicle, I agree, but it is original for TLG and it will look good while driving over your pile of unsorted bricks.

Plausible explanation, only LEGO made unusual color choice; they are usually yellow as on picture that you posted above

18 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Plausible explanation, only LEGO made unusual color choice; they are usually yellow as on picture that you posted above

I suspect that this image might have been taped on the TLG idea wall:

McClung-Logan-AL-jon-equipment.png

21 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

And than the topic would be full with: "Oh yes, another yellow construction machine... thanks LEGO! (sarcasm)", wouldn't be? :wink: An AFOL is hard to please, hehe.

Whatever, I think it is a nice line-up, though for me a bit boring as I see cars, cars, cars... so the catamaran is a refreshing something and I am happy about it. Still I must admit I also have feeling, that these sets are much less "serious" in their categories, than some predecessor (9392, 42048, 42028, 42032, 42035,...), and also the pull backs are nowhere that finished as these: https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Pullback-Motor/theme-Technic

My gut feeling says: the Mack is something like 9397 - not in scale, but in quality - I smell good stuff here.

I hope secretly, we will see some non-vehicle official sets in the future (robotic arm, GBC, chainsaw,...).

Edited by agrof

Nice to see there will be coming more watercrafts and that 42064 was no exception. There haven't been a lot of boats in the Technic line else, besides the always recurring mini hovercrafts.

Those black curved panel of the hovercraft ferry could make for a good submarine B-model? There wasn't a submarine in ages. But I'm not really convinced by the shape of the ferry, looks too rectangular. B-model of 42025 had the better looks. So I'm more keen for the catamaran and curious for its functions. Looking at the size of the box it should be a good medium sized model.

I guess rally car will be very popular among AFOLs, just like 42039 has been. I really like that it looks more like normal car, compared to 42039 and 42050. I'm not that much into motor sports and don't recognize those more exotic vehicles.

The pullbacks only reminds me of the awful late 90s competition line...

The Mack is probably going to look very good like all licensed sets have been. But people seem to get their hopes up too much and forget that this is will most likely not be a flagship model. 

The pictures are so small and potato quality for the fire SUV and catamaran I can't tell really anything going on with them, even down to size. I like the strange compactor a lot, the little racecars are very similar to the Power Racers sets from 2006 or so- pull-back motor with front bumper that pushes something off the car, they're even to the same scale. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

I'm intrigued by even just the silhouette of the Mack Truck, and while the ferry is probably along the same lines of the Ocean Explorer which I don't care for all that much, it does look pretty interesting.

The rally car... yeesh, there's better be something going on inside that thing, or it's going to be awful. It does really look terrible, with the random blue and white and so many gaps between large panels. I'd have been fine if it was just white, with accents in dark blue or something... that's a color scheme we've gotten a lot of but at least it works well.

I'm also surprised Lego has not introduced a GBC set all these years. This would be a great theme that you can add modules to each year.

The catamaran is the set I'm most curious about. It is relevant following this years America's Cup and it has potential for several technical features such as lowering the foils, changing direction of the rudders and sails. Maybe combining multiple sets will allow building a bigger MOC. It would be a great display model.

Edited by WvG_853
Correction of typo

7 hours ago, Milan said:

The first one was turned into a wish list - topic, so we closed it. When we got some real info, this topic was opened, so we could have actual discussion about sets.

It's clear. thanks!

By the shape of the image of Mack truck, do we know which official model it could be? 

For the remaining sets, I am looking for the "fire/service" SUV as this really can be a good pay for kids. 

The rally car - wonder about the idea - would it be FWD, RWD or AWD - in the last configuration, if we take into count H2 2017 we did had 2 vehicles with all wheel drive :) so possible yes, it will have AWD. It could have PF and remote ;) but that is a wish list so do not count this up :) 

Couldn't be 24375 part from 42069 used to block the holes in the hull and make sailboat floating?

12 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I suspect that this image might have been taped on the TLG idea wall:

This could be good reason for blue since we see here lots of complain about yellow color as user @agrof correctly mentioned :wink:

Just now, msk6003 said:

Anyone please tell me where can i find picture?

you have to scroll up and PM users who were posting that they have pictures...and like @Jim said not to question about pictures directly on topic :wink:

14 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

A compactor is an real life, very specialized vehicle, most often used in landfill sites to move around trash and to compacti the waste by its weight while driving over it, hence the name.

I guess the weird wheels are about the only shape that gives some grip on a strange surface like landfill.

One minor nitpick: the wheels are not about grip, they're all about pressure points (which is what you need if you want to compact something, in this case garbage)

I like the look of the thing (the LEGO one :) ) very much. I'm sure the son will like it too.