42069 - Extreme Adventure - Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

2. 2. Do you prefer treads or wheels?

3. 3. Which of the wheels do you prefer? (multiple answers possible)

• Power Puller wheels and silver rims
    • Tumbler rires and black rims
    • 4x4 Crawler tires and black rims
    • Claas tires and red rims
    • Claas tires and yellow rims
    • Claas tires and yellow rims and hub caps
    • Unimog tires and silver rims
    • Unimog tires and yellow rims
    • Unimog tires and yellow rims with pulley decoration

Just now, t12ung said:

... I now think it was a good choice as it's different and so easily modded anyway to change to wheels if one should be inclined to do so.

Exactly! 

Excellent review Jim, and i really appreciate the pictures with all different tire options

I think the unimog tires work best, and thankfully they arent that expensive either.

The 360d viewer not working on my Chrome or Firefox.

For those who have the same problem and wants to see them, you can use direct links at Jim's folder below, just replace the file number from number 091 sequentially to number 119.

http://www.eurobricks.com/jim/42069/IMG_4091.jpg
all the way down to
http://www.eurobricks.com/jim/42069/IMG_4119.jpg

The pictures itself are on my flickr account as well. Here is the album.

Great review Jim! When I first saw this set in pictures from the toy fair I was sure this was the only 2nd half set I was interested in. The reviews about the 42070 and this review just confirm my interest. There is so much more to this set than meets the eye. Your construction photos and many angles really show off this model. Also, I really like the 360, especially the individual pictures on Flickr.

Thanks  again!

Andy D

Great review, Jim, as always.
I was certain from the very first second I saw this the set will be great. Loved the colour and the general idea, but then I discovered all the functions and just how many parts this set has and my appreciation for it just increased. Love the door design and the ingenuity of the winch.

When I first saw this set I just though "Oh my god is this an ugly vehicle". I didn't like the color scheme as well. Purple! Is that even a color :)

But it looks fantastic on wheels and it has rubbers for the tracks. So actually I changed my mind and will probably get one instead of the unfinished flagship technic set. I wonder how it would look like in Porsche orange.

Thanks for the review!

Excellent review, very much appreciate the pics with wheels to see how it would look with them :thumbup: I'm still undecided though.

The good:

I like the realistic live axle suspension and ackermann steering geometry, and I like that it actually has working 4WD, and the door mechanism is nice too. :thumbup: 

The bad:

The rest of the many functions, like opening doors in general and the shovel in the back, the roof going up and down (basically another door, but in the roof), the slide out draw and so on, those are what I consider little secondary kinda auxiliary detail functions, they are nice touches, like the pop up headlights on 8880, but they are not main functions like suspension, steering and 4WD, which is this sets only main functions. For well over 2000 pieces that really isn't that many main functions. Now, of course a set may only have very few, or maybe even only one main function and still be good IF that main function is something we haven't seen before (different steering modes in the Claas) or been able to accomplish in a nice, efficient way already with existing Technic elements (the digging wheel of the BWE), however, this is not the case here. And of course there's that purple colour, which despite Jims best efforts still puts me off.

The conundrum:

But what few main functions are present are done very well. As I have said the steering has good geometry and the live axle suspension is also realistic, the whole design looks like a finished, high quality build, and it's also good value for money. So I'm in no rush to get it but I can see me picking it up for full price.......eventually......maybe next year :grin:

But WHY PURPLE!!!! I know they want their sets to be striking on the shelves, but a grinning monkey in a purple mankini would also be striking, that doesn't mean it would be desirable! 

Edited by allanp

4 hours ago, stevenhalim said:

The 360d viewer not working on my Chrome or Firefox.

the 360-viewer works very well for me - Firefox on Windows 7...

Excellent review, many thanks for your effort, Jim!

Cool model, very well done by Milan.... if it would have a gearbox - even if a "simple" standard one - then it would be a real and true successor of good old 8466...

Unimog wheels with yellow rims IMHO work best - a great alternative to the tracked stock version...

I probably will get this set - but it's not a must NOW have so probabaly not now but sometimes later on when good discount is available - or even second hand used in very good condition...

After two extreme busy days I finaly have time to read a review. I can only say what most members already said - really outstanding review. The only thing that I can add to review is actually usage of tent in icy conditions; researchers use them to save themselves from wind or extra bad weather conditions when excavating things like fossils etc :wink:

Photos with tires are so great that now I prefer model with Unimog tires on silver rims (instead of treds).

About eventual typing errors in review I do not bother. I'm making more typing errors using my smartphone then the rest of Eurobricks members, so who am I to complain about this :laugh:

Thanks for great review. It was pleasure reading it 

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor
Typing errors, what else...

Another amazing review Jim! It's always a pleasurable read! I must say that whilst the treads are unique and do look pretty cool, I prefer the model with Unimog tires with yellow rims. Other than that the model looks great, and the features are nice (I just love those doors)! I'm afraid that I just can't bring myself to buy this set this summer. It's either this set or the Saturn V (which to me is a pretty easy decision)! Looking forward to reading the review of 42068! 

8 hours ago, Seasider said:

3rd column of the grey parts, 3rd and 4th items down ... item 4 is over item 3's part id number

Lol, never seen that before in the instructions :laugh: 

Btw, 360 degree viewer thingy didn't work for me initially, but I just checked the first page and now it works.

Great review Jim, if I wasn't already convinced about getting this set, you definitely swayed me into buying it! :thumbup: Now for the hardest part: waiting until it goes on discount sale... :hmpf_bad:

The Unimog tires with yellow rims and black pulley wheels is the best. I wonder how Unimog tires with 9398 rims and yellow pulley wheels would look...

18 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

That's to separate the two functions:
1. transferring the forces from the chassis to the tracks
2. driving the tracks.

Otherwise you had all that force radially on the driving axle, giving you more and more plastic dust over time. GBC maintainers can tell you a thing or two about this. :wink:

Thanks for the clear explanation,now everything seems logic :thumbup:. So, - with wheel hubs - I could not imagine driving forward and the bogies "turning"  on the opposite direction - while it steps over an obstacle -... ...Poor axles :wacko:

20 hours ago, Jim said:

I could indeed have highlighted the connector you mentioned :thumbup:

The Porsche is at my work on my desk, so I didn't have the wheels when I shot the pictures. Otherwise I would also have tried to change the bodywork to orange. Let's say I didn't want to spoil the fun for you guys :wink: 

But I do not have the Porsche :look: ... Seems like the fun is not going to be with me...

You did noticed, that if this set would came out without the tracks, but with standard wheels, then it would have approx. almost 200 parts less? 

1 minute ago, AOW said:

You did noticed, that if this set would came out without the tracks, but with standard wheels, then it would have approx. almost 200 parts less? 

Yup, we noticed. 108 for the treads and some extra parts. Still around 2200 parts.

Thanks for the review Jim. And a big thanks, for adding photos of the model with the different wheels.  

24 minutes ago, hsky said:

@Jim Could you make a Picture with the Tires from the Set 42000 ?  :wub:

I can do an additional round of pictures. I just need some time, so don't expect them tomorrow or so.

Can you do some photos with a technic figure too? How well he fits in the seat and what he looks scale wise to the vehicle as a whole, although this vehicle should be taller than him that's why it has the running boards 

15 hours ago, Jim said:

I can do an additional round of pictures. I just need some time, so don't expect them tomorrow or so.

No rush, take your time :-)