Lordofdragonss

Angry Birds 2016 Rumors & Discussion

I can't stop laughing at all the occurrences of "Grumpy Sparrows" in this topic. XD

I think a Lego Dimensions Grumpy Sparrows pack is inevitable. Still didn't see any of this coming, though.

What's next LEGO Candy Crush?

Will it come packaged with tasty Lego-shaped candy? :laugh::head_back::laugh:

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

Really?? Grumpy Sparrows was fun five years ago, now just hearing the name is annoying. Just let the franchise die, please. :hmpf_bad:

I'm guessing this wouldn't catch on after a year or two like the other tie-ins past AB:SW. Just don't buy it if you don't want it. Want to see it fall quickly with both a bang and a whimper? Use your Lego money to buy other sets in other themes (put another way: want to keep Speed Champions, Bionicle and Chima alive? Go buy the sets in those themes.). But if the new sets suddenly introduce some new parts that can add to more techniques or be some parts we may be wanting (or didn't know we want), get one. Just one.

Really?? Grumpy Sparrows was fun five years ago, now just hearing the name is annoying. Just let the franchise die, please. :hmpf_bad:

Well, uh, how do we kill something that refuses to die?

For those doubting the draw of A.ngry Birds, they've definitely failed a lot recently in merchandising, but the games still seem to be a big draw, especially for young kids. The videos we do on FamilyGamerTV are usually some of our most popular, especially A.ngry Birds Transformers. The movie should in theory (if it's good) light a fire under it and it's the perfect time for Lego to dip their toe in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a one hit wonder and then they drop the license.

Edited by wideawakewesley

Grumpy Sparrows.

Sorry, just wanted to test the filter :grin: But seriously? Lego Grumpy Sparrows? Jesus. Why? Grumpy Sparrows was alright a few years ago, but now, there's no real audience. Disappointing :thumbdown:

Edited by Sir Brickalot

It would hardly be the first licensed theme to be around for a single wave in a single year. But it's also not as though it absolutely needs to be introduced when the subject is brand new to be profitable, either. Their most popular licensed theme is Star Wars, and that franchise was old enough to drink back when LEGO first made it a theme. All that matters is whether it's still popular enough, and I suspect LEGO has access to better market data on this than most of us do.

Well, that Cut the Rope app just had a movie announced. That's another... old app.

Angry Birds, seriously?

Didn't that game fade out of the public eye quite a while ago? It's getting a movie!!??? Whose idea was that?

And we're missing a final Lego LOTR wave, but getting this instead?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this post.

Whatever.

Life goes on, and Lego's doing well enough to survive this, even if it completely fails.

So really, other than the negative press, this shouldn't affect our beloved TLG too badly.

No need to worry...I hope.

I have to wonder about the sets. Will they be Minecraft style landscapes with a new "Slingshot" piece and some brick-built birds?

With extra parts and instructions on how to build new configurations to knock down? And how will they portray the birds special abilities, or will they even try?

It's interesting to think about...Could yield some decent parts and prints too. So there's a tiny silver lining to look forward to, if nothing else.

And until the mods fix it, you can use color changes to by-pass the filter.

Turn a few letters in the middle to black, which is the default color anyway, and you're good to go.

Edited by SteampunkDoc

And we're missing a final Lego LOTR wave, but getting this instead?

This is because the last Hobbit wave was terrible and the final LotR was also pretty poor. Not to mention choosing Orthanc as the exclusive over Minas Tirith or something else.. Poor choices and designing brought that license down.

Plants vs Zombies :laugh:

18001777003_43849179bd_o.png

It would be weird to see LEGO pick up another license that was previously done by K'NEX.

K'NEX Grumpy Sparrows was a bland recreation of the game in physical form. A different route was taken with K'NEX Plants vs Zombies. Individual plants and zombies are sold in blind bags like the CMF line with only a few K'NEX Plants vs Zombies sets on shelves.

It will be interesting to what the LEGO set designers will come up with. They will have to rely a lot upon the movie for ideas since the games are very bare bones in terms of things you want build.

Lego seems to like to pick up licenses when they are past their prime though. Especially if a new movie is coming out. Case in point? Getting the LotR license, which is over a decade old, when they got the Hobbit license. Getting Simpsons when it's nearing it's end (?). Now they are doing the same with Angry Birds.

Edited by Deathleech

Lego seems to like to pick up licenses when they are past their prime though. Especially if a new movie is coming out. Case in point? Getting the LotR license, which is over a decade old, when they got the Hobbit license. Getting Simpsons when it's nearing it's end (?). Now they are doing the same with Angry Birds.

Almost every license they've ever gotten is for a movie or franchise established years earlier, though. Even when they do release a theme tied to the appearance of a new movie, it's either the newest installment in a series which has been running a while (Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) or a new movie adaptation of a long-established franchise (the Raimi / Maguire Spider-Man films that begat the first Marvel sets, Speed Racer, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, etc.). Only a relatively small handful of licensed themes have been launched just as the properties they were based on were just getting started - Avatar: The Last Airbender, Harry Potter (another adaptation, albeit one that came quickly after the source material - the films coming very shortly after the books), etc.

Ughhh playsets of Angry Birds.

Bad Lego. Bad.

My guess is that Lego wants some success in the app-bizniss and shall release a new Lego Angry Birds with it (some real playsets will unlock worlds or birds probably).

Cant help to feel a little molested by the money-driven choices lego has been making lately.

Btw nice comic Ayliffemakit

Edited by Borex

It doesn't look like this has been posted yet, so I'll go ahead and start it.

TLG just announced an Grumpy Sparrows theme to coincide the movie coming out next year. Thoughts?

http://www.thebrickfan.com/official-lego-angry-birds-sets-coming-in-2016/

Never mind. Apparently, it has been posted. No one's going to find it if the filter isn't fixed. :sceptic:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110494

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus here. I agree that it's pretty silly to release these sets when the game is past its prime. I honestly doubt the movie will be any better than the Super Mario Bros. movie. :laugh:

I really wish they'd cut back on the licensed themes and release more original material like they did before Star Wars. A new wave of classic space would do very well.

I am not a fan of infuriated magpies, but I see the point. A game which has destruction and construction as its core mechanisms is bound to be embodied in a toy which is made for destruction and construction. Keep in mind that some derivatives of infuriated magpies, the ones with a stress on evil hogs, make you build funny fragile machines. Maybe these are included in the licence.

Edited by Wardancer

I'm confident that LEGO structured this deal in a way that can't possibly lose them money. And if the sets are as poorly received as everyone seems to think that they will be, then I'm looking forward to scooping them up toward the end of their run at deep discounts. I scored a small mountain of parts at about $0.05-0.06/piece when The Lone Ranger flopped hard. I could not care less about AB, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a bad thing.

I just saw Ferrero chocolate surprise eggs with Grumpy Sparrows prints in a supermarket. Apparently, TLG is not the only company which thinks the licence is still up to date.

My son (age 8 in August) and his friends are still huge fans of Angry Birds. Transformers gets lots of time. They also tend to love Lego. I suspect I will be seeing these new sets showing up at birthday parties in a year or so.

He also likes Plants vs Zombies

Edited by Sarah

Likewise, my kids are obsessed with AB Transformers and AB Go! (the kart racing game), and AB Epic/classic/seasons/SW/Space still get game play as well. Success will depend on the appeal of the sets themselves - playability, buildability, and the usual appeal of LEGO to the target audience, not to AFOLs. LEGO Lone Ranger sets flopped as the movie was a stinker, lets hope Rovio has a good concept in development, so that the LEGO AB sets will get some traction.

I think kids might still be into Grumpy Sparrows. I had a GBC display with Grumpy Sparrows module at a kids picnic event last weekend. It basically shoots balls at a piggy target. There were some excited screams when they noticed the Angry Bird. :classic:

What's next LEGO Candy Crush?

Plants vs Zombies :laugh:

I think we need more filters on these games. How about "Sweet Smasher" and "Flora Fighting Living Corpses"?

TC

I think we need more filters on these games. How about "Sweet Smasher" and "Flora Fighting Living Corpses"?

TC

Or "Yummy Bash" and "Thicket bursting Undead" :grin: