Lordofdragonss

Angry Birds 2016 Rumors & Discussion

Angry Birds

Sets based on the upcoming 2016 film

LAS VEGAS, Nevada– 8th June 2015– Rovio, makers of Angry Birds, the most downloaded mobile game ever, today announced a partnership with The LEGO Group to develop a line of construction toys. LEGO® Angry Birds will be available in spring 2016 to coincide with the release of The Angry Birds Movie, a full-length feature film based on the popular gaming franchise.

“The LEGO brand has an unparalleled ability to connect with people through products that spark creativity and imagination. We’re really excited to build experiences together with this amazing best-in-class partner,” said Pekka Rantala, Chief Executive Officer of Rovio.

“We are excited to bring Angry Birds to life in LEGO form, given the popularity of the game and its characters with fans of all ages, which will only be amplified by the forthcoming film,” said Jill Wilfert, Vice President, licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. “We seek partnership with globally relevant properties that offer a unique and rewarding play experience to our fans, and our designers are having fun developing building sets that leverage the engaging play and deconstruction found in the Angry Birds game.”

Press Release via Rovio.com

21821061141_0fc99a535d_z.jpg

Set Information:

#75821: Piggy Car Escape- $12.99

• Pieces: 74
  • Includes Piggy, Chuck, eggs, escaping car

75821-1.jpg?201603010826

#75822: Piggy Plane Attack- $19.99

• Pieces: 168
  • Includes Pilot Piggy, Red, eggs, catapult, plane

75822-1.jpg?201603010826

#75823: Bird Island Egg Heist- $29.99

• Pieces: 277
  • Includes Red, Stella, Biker Pig, motorcycle, bird house, eggs

75823-1.jpg?201603050857

#75824: Pig City Teardown- $39.99

• Pieces: 386
  • Includes Red, Matilda, two Pigs, hot dog buns, catapult, Pig City

75824-1.jpg?201603010826

#75825: Piggy Pirate Ship- $59.99

• Pieces: 620
  • Includes Red, Bomb, two Pigs, catapult island, Pirate Ship

75825-1.jpg?201603010826

#75826: King Pig's Castle- $89.99

• Pieces: 859
  • Includes Red, Great Eagle, King Pig, two Pigs, slingshot, King's Castle

75826-1.jpg?201603010826

Edited by Captain Nemo
Updating Set Information

Grumpy Sparrows

What's up with the filter?

It's from April Fools a few years ago. I guess it's time to get that fixed. :laugh:

It's from April Fools a few years ago. I guess it's time to get that fixed. :laugh:

XD I was so confused when I read this topic.

I really didn't see this coming. I'm not sure what to think of this, other than it obviously being Lego grabbing at popular licenses to make money. I've never played Grumpy Sparrows, but I'm curious to see how the sets turn out.

Oh. LEGO A n g r y B i r d s.

..Why? It's sort of cool, but I thought that had been milked dry already.

Uh oh, hope this doeasent eman no magical beastts and where to find them.

Cause thats released in simialr timeframe.

That would really piss me off..

Ugh... It's cool and all, but I really hate how visably cashgrabby Lego bacame recently with Portals and now this...

This seems a bit contradictory, don't you think? A big reason there haven't been many video-game-based themes until recently is that it wasn't clear whether they'd be a reliable investment. Now LEGO has dared to introduce just a couple new video game licenses based on two games that are no longer at their peak popularity, after succeeding with just one previous video game license — Minecraft. I struggle to see how the way they've been carefully dipping their toes into video game licenses any more "cashgrabby" than all the action movie licenses they've done over the years. Though arguably, depending on how these sets end up designed, it might make more sense to treat them as a movie license rather than a video game license, just like the Prince of Persia sets.

We're going have to stick with one A n g r y B i r d s thread, considering there is already another in this forum. But which?

We're going have to stick with one A n g r y B i r d s thread, considering there is already another in this forum. But which?

I'd say it should probably be here, since its licensed. I'm guessing the other is in the videogame forum?

If mods are paying attention, I'd like to request the Grumpy Sparrows filter be disabled, these two threads merged, and the resulting new thread retitled.

As for the theme... Well, why not? It's obviously family-friendly, and it's hugely popular. Why shouldn't LEGO go for it? It's very much the sort of thing they go for in a license.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them comes out a good six months after the movie about Birds Who Happen to be Angry.

I bet anyone 100$ that these Angry Bird sets are going to be waaay over-priced just like Minecraft is.

As for the theme... Well, why not?

The lack of proper minifigures, the lack of proper vehicles and the lack of proper buildings to make sets from.

Based on the game universe atleast, not up to date on whatever the movie is.

But its like minecraft, terrible abstract sets with bad figures and aceessories.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them comes out a good six months after the movie about Birds Who Happen to be Angry.

Oh, thought i read fall somewhere for birds. that solves that,

The lack of proper minifigures, the lack of proper vehicles and the lack of proper buildings to make sets from.

But its like minecraft, terrible abstract sets with bad figures and aceessories.

I don't think there's anywhere close to a consensus on the Minecraft sets being terrible. Lots of people obviously love them. The first was clearly far and away the most successful CUUSOO set ever, and launched a whole theme, which exploded into subthemes sand everything. And as far as the content goes, there's an obvious, natural synergy there, as Minecraft was already being likened to virtual LEGO anyway.

Grumpy Sparrows, while not quite so clearly connected as Minecraft, does at least entail structures made up of bricks / blocks, so one can already see certain parallels in place. And the apparent lack of minifigures is hardly a deal-killer.

(Argh - can the mods please do something about that filter?)

These are going to be based on the movie, and nothing is really known about any vehicles and/or buildings in it at this time. The figures... yeah, I'll concede that the figures will be kinda weird-looking.

I don't like it how all these good, popular, and reasonable set ideas get rejected on LEGO Ideas, but then they go and do sets based off of Grumpy Sparrows.

There's hope yet!! Woo!

As for these sets, I'll reserve judgement until I see them. It could be something unique and cool, or it could be awful.

I'm surprised that they got the K'Nex license, would that say Super Mario and Zelda would eventually go to LEGO one day? Also, Hasbro is the other major cooperative company that introduced Telepods for AB, so I'd wonder why we're not going to see KRE-O AB in the first place?

AB is obviously a neat choice for LEGO. I'd like to collect all AB characters, expecially the Stella's cute friends from Golden Island would appeal more girls to play LEGO.

I don't like it how all these good, popular, and reasonable set ideas get rejected on LEGO Ideas, but then they go and do sets based off of Grumpy Sparrows.

Uh, my personal comment is "I don't like it how all these good, popular, and reasonable set ideas get rejected on LEGO Ideas, but then they do the licenses in a crossover video game". We shouldn't compare disparate things in the same topic. Why rejecting licenses would say that LEGO shouldn't get other licenses? Edited by Dorayaki

They choose licenses they think will sell. Grumpy Sparrows is extremely popular - so much so that it already has an extensive array of merchandise. Given that licenses are now a significant part of LEGO's business, it makes sense for LEGO to pursue this particular one.

The sets that don't make it through Ideas get declined for various good reasons, even if the actual projects are good. Sometimes they just might require too much production capacity to be diverted from LEGO's other lines. Sometimes they just can't be feasibly produced as mass-market sets. If you're thinking of licensed projects, it's even possible LEGO was actually completely willing to go for them, but the rightsholders declined.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

They choose licenses they think will sell. Grumpy Sparrows is extremely popular - so much so that it already has an extensive array of merchandise. Given that licenses are now a significant part of LEGO's business, it makes sense for LEGO to pursue this particular one.

The sets that don't make it through Ideas get declined for various good reasons, even if the actual projects are good. Sometimes they just might require too much production capacity to be diverted from LEGO's other lines. Sometimes they just can't be feasibly produced as mass-market sets. If you're thinking of licensed projects, it's even possible LEGO was actually completely willing to go for them, but the rightsholders declined.

Yes, I guess it is not entirely LEGO's decision whether or not they get certain licenses, but I just think a lot of licenses would sell better than Grumpy Sparrows. I don't doubt that the sets will sell well, but as many other users are saying, it would have been better to do this when Grumpy Sparrows was more popular.

I am very curious to see how they will design the birds.

Oh, thought i read fall somewhere for birds. that solves that,

Glad as well, really want to see how mytical beasts turns out

But what the what? Grumpy Sparrows? Why :wacko: that means a license with no Minifigs i guess!

EDIT: That filter will be the death of me

Edited by kevkipo