Capt Wolf

ESL 5T La Contessa de Victoria

Just in time for the March trade convoy, I present the launching of the 5T Light Terraman La Contessa de Victoria.

01e-frnt_qtr_1.jpg

The Contessa is a stern mistress, as the figurehead suggests.

02e-figurehead2.jpg

The crew is busy on deck, although one deckhand takes a moment to gaze at the horizon from the foc's'l.

03e-focsl.jpg

A chest still needs to be stowed away.

04e-main.jpg

Sails are set and men are in the rigging.

05e-rigging.jpg

La Contessa is ready to sail for a new port.

06e-strn_qtr_1e.jpg  07e-stern_x.jpg

Some additional pictures from above:

08e-above_focsl.jpg

09e-above_stern.jpg

----------------------

This was my first time using the string with handholds for rigging. I still have some kinks to work out with it, but I'm happy with this first attempt. I also focused on improving the gallery design I initially used on the Heart of Eslandia / Prince Fernando. Also, the decking is much better internally on this effort. Eventually I'll build one with an accessible and detailed captain's quarters.

As always, all C&C welcome.

Very nice ship. I love the detailing you did on the back. I can't tell if it's custom hulled, or not though. Did you do interiors? Oh, and can you link to your photo hosting site? I'd love to see more. :classic:

Flashy decor on the back :thumbup:. I think this color scheme fits for the next official Lego pirate ship (licensed material exempted). Cool effect an technique on the grate (? - on the deck front part of the ship. Picture 4, 5 an 8).

Another excellent ship with this epic color-scheme from you, Capt Wolf! :pir-sweet:  The hand-hold rigging looks great, as do your excellent sails, the curves, and the reverse 1x1 brick technique (I've got to use that next time!), but I really love that view from the stern - just gorgeous! :wub_drool:  Quite possibly my favorite ship from you, although all of them have been good!  Keep it up, mate, glad we have you in Eslandola! :thumbup:

I :pir-wub: this new ship of yours Captain Wolf.

Very nice and original color scheme, great shape and a mighty stern!

It looks great, I like the angled galleries! My point of improvement would be the headrails.they sort of point forwards, where they should angle up a bit.

Any chance of a few more pics, maybe larger ones also? The lighting of the lower segments hide some of the details.

Love the ship though, especially how smooth and sleek it looks

8 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Very nice ship. I love the detailing you did on the back. I can't tell if it's custom hulled, or not though. Did you do interiors? Oh, and can you link to your photo hosting site? I'd love to see more. :classic:

Thanks. It's mostly pre-fab hull; there's a bit of custom work at the stern (see below). (And I use brickshelf for photo hosting, but there's not much more there for this ship.) The captain's cabin has the space for detailing, but I haven't done anything there. At least it's a step forward from my last 5T, where it was just a mass of bracing. The main deck is tiled back to the wall of the captain's cabin, but there's no way to really see it. There are actually steps up to the quarterdeck (here's a minifig coming up the steps).

82e-qtr_deck.jpg

8 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

Flashy decor on the back :thumbup:. I think this color scheme fits for the next official Lego pirate ship (licensed material exempted). Cool effect an technique on the grate (? - on the deck front part of the ship. Picture 4, 5 an 8).

Thanks. I was still struggling with the stern decoration Friday night. And an official Eslandola Lego ship? I like it! :pir-grin:

The grate (or whatever it's called) is made of 1x1 bricks upside down on a 6x6 plate, and that rests on a tiled pedestal in the hold. The whole thing can lift right out.

7 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Another excellent ship with this epic color-scheme from you, Capt Wolf! :pir-sweet:  The hand-hold rigging looks great, as do your excellent sails, the curves, and the reverse 1x1 brick technique (I've got to use that next time!), but I really love that view from the stern - just gorgeous! :wub_drool:  Quite possibly my favorite ship from you, although all of them have been good!  Keep it up, mate, glad we have you in Eslandola! :thumbup:

Thanks! I have all these green slopes, so I keep building 'em up and then tearing them down. :pir-grin: And I took that photo from high above the stern because I wasn't really catching much of the deck detail in my other shots.

7 hours ago, Bonaparte said:

I :pir-wub: this new ship of yours Captain Wolf.

Very nice and original color scheme, great shape and a mighty stern!

Thank you very much! The color scheme is pure Eslandola, but I enjoy getting those subtle curves into a hull without hinges. And I'm a sucker for earlier ships with those high sterns. I'm glad you like it!

7 hours ago, Captain Green Hair said:

It looks great, I like the angled galleries! My point of improvement would be the headrails.they sort of point forwards, where they should angle up a bit.

Thanks. the angled galleries were a goal for this one when I started. And I agree re the headrails; I didn't get the geometry quite right.

3 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Any chance of a few more pics, maybe larger ones also? The lighting of the lower segments hide some of the details.

Love the ship though, especially how smooth and sleek it looks

There really aren't many more pics. I posted one above, and here's a clearer shot of the hull at the stern. The bow is pre-fab, as are the four middle sections. There isn't even any step out on the sides. But the hull steps in with jumper plates and wedge bricks to narrow the hull before I square-off the stern.

hull.jpg

2 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

It's lovely.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone for the comments. They are much appreciated!

She's gorgeous. Honestly, I love how simple yet elegant the stern is. The golden wings and sword are a wonderful touch. My one criticism is the ratlines, in that there are none. Have you considered adding droid arms to connect the rigging for ratlines? To me right now it just looks like long rope that require only arm muscles to climb. Either way, she's still a gorgeous ship.

This ship is huge, it can surely store a lot of goods. The overall shape is great, I love the tilted deck, the window on the poop, the side gallery, the stern decoration, those microfigs and wings.

Another beauty in your by now so famous style, Capt Wolf. I will not comment much on the hull, but it is very well-built. The galleries are elegant and I like how the headrails merge into the figurehead in one smooth curve.

A few comments on the rigging. The courses (lower sails) would not have a yardarm below them, but have their sheets led directly to the deck. The courses should also be brought down so that their lower edges are closer to the deck. You could then add another set of sail above (royals). I would also increase the size of the lateen on the mizzen considerably. (In fact, I think most of the sails are a bit too small, so perhaps trying out custom sails for your next ship could be a new challenge? :pir-wink: )

However, as I have said before, I really like your take on this period of the age of sail, as demonstrated by several of your ships. Keep up the good work!

Gorgeous ship! :wub:  I absolutely love it. There's a very strong Classic Pirates feel to it, and it's particularly streamlined. Great job! 

Another typical Capt Wolf ship, and another marvellous work! Those never cease to impress me!

Some more minifig action posing might have been a good idea, but aside from that really nothing to change. Fantastic piece of work once more.

Simply beautiful (as always!) I like how you have continued the colour scheme of your previous ships, it gives them a really distinctive style. The SNOT headlight pieces are a real highlight for me, they look fantastic as the grating. Stunning job!

22 hours ago, KotZ said:

She's gorgeous. Honestly, I love how simple yet elegant the stern is. The golden wings and sword are a wonderful touch. My one criticism is the ratlines, in that there are none. Have you considered adding droid arms to connect the rigging for ratlines? To me right now it just looks like long rope that require only arm muscles to climb. Either way, she's still a gorgeous ship.

Thanks. Regarding the ratlines, I considered using droid arms, but I didn't like how they looked. There were also issues with them as the lines narrowed near the top. Anyway, I've always thought the thickness of the handholds creates the illusion of ratlines. But I totally get your point. I guess it's an eye-of-the-beholder thing.

19 hours ago, Hive said:

Fantastic ship, well done!

Thank you!

19 hours ago, Bodi said:

This ship is huge, it can surely store a lot of goods. The overall shape is great, I love the tilted deck, the window on the poop, the side gallery, the stern decoration, those microfigs and wings.

It IS huge, that's for sure. Certainly about as big as I can reasonably do on prefab hulls, at least without stepping out the sides of the hull. And I love using those microfigs for decorative posts. Thanks for noticing!

12 hours ago, Bregir said:

Another beauty in your by now so famous style, Capt Wolf. I will not comment much on the hull, but it is very well-built. The galleries are elegant and I like how the headrails merge into the figurehead in one smooth curve.

A few comments on the rigging. The courses (lower sails) would not have a yardarm below them, but have their sheets led directly to the deck. The courses should also be brought down so that their lower edges are closer to the deck. You could then add another set of sail above (royals). I would also increase the size of the lateen on the mizzen considerably. (In fact, I think most of the sails are a bit too small, so perhaps trying out custom sails for your next ship could be a new challenge? :pir-wink: )

However, as I have said before, I really like your take on this period of the age of sail, as demonstrated by several of your ships. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Regarding the lowest yardarm, you are quite correct. This is a concession to classic Lego style and the manner in which the bottom of the sails needs to be fixed to create the billowing effect. (You may note that, on the Far Horizon, which I built with furled sails, the inaccurate yardarm is not present.) And all the sails (save the lateen) are sized actually as official Lego sails (and the lateen has been enlarged only slightly). I am starting to explore cloth sails, and I suspect some future ship of mine will step closer toward accurate model and a little further from classic Lego. For now I stand firmly straddling the fence. :pir-grin:

11 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Gorgeous ship! :wub:  I absolutely love it. There's a very strong Classic Pirates feel to it, and it's particularly streamlined. Great job! 

Thank you! That's just the feel I'm going for: an evolution of the Classic pirate style that caters to my particular preferences.

8 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Another typical Capt Wolf ship, and another marvellous work! Those never cease to impress me!

Some more minifig action posing might have been a good idea, but aside from that really nothing to change. Fantastic piece of work once more.

Thank you. Each one refines my approach a bit at a time. I'm getting closer to my goal. I thought I did some fair posing with several of the figs, but my photography wasn't capturing things the way i wanted. At one point I was just trying to make sure they were all standing up! :pir-grin:

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Simply beautiful (as always!) I like how you have continued the colour scheme of your previous ships, it gives them a really distinctive style. The SNOT headlight pieces are a real highlight for me, they look fantastic as the grating. Stunning job!

Thank you. I do want to get away from this color scheme eventually, but I have the bricks, and the Eslandola colors do offer some good possibilities. And the grate is one of my favorite details (but fyi, they're just normal 1x1 bricks, not headlight bricks).

----

And I failed to give credit initially for the name of this ship. Thanks to @gedren_y for suggesting La Contessa de Victoria. It gave me the ideas for the final details that pulled it all together.

Great ship Capt Wolf - colors and shape are excellent and so are those sails! :thumbup: 

18 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

----

And I failed to give credit initially for the name of this ship. Thanks to @gedren_y for suggesting La Contessa de Victoria. It gave me the ideas for the final details that pulled it all together.

Always glad to be appreciated for my skill at naming things. She earns the name, and her front page.