The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

Forgive the very crude sketch, but when I read the description on Promobricks, this is what I had in mind.

It's just how I interpreted it, but it would be a way to get a triangular building, gallery and roof terrace as they described, onto a baseplate that connects with others.

That’s interesting & a cool design, but that doesn’t read Flat Iron. Wouldn’t the description say it was two triangles joined if that were the case? I’m not sure what is meant by “...ground floor which is an extension of the main building.” I’m definitely intrigued to see how they pull this off, but I have every confidence in the designers. 

6 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Forgive the very crude sketch, but when I read the description on Promobricks, this is what I had in mind.

51590725770_60c30eaf71_b.jpg

It's just how I interpreted it, but it would be a way to get a triangular building, gallery and roof terrace as they described, onto a baseplate that connects with others.

Love ur illustration. Extraction from promobricks:

"Instead of the usual, the LEGO modular corner building is not built at a 90-degree angle, but tapered off. The new hotel is most comparable to the famous Flatiron Building in New York, even if the angle is a little more obtuse. As is so often the case, the new LEGO Modular Building has three floors, with the facade of the ground floor made of nougat-colored bricks, which form arcades on the side facing the street .

On the other side of the building, the acute angle creates a free space that is filled by a small, one-story extension. There is an art gallery here. A gray staircase leads from the sidewalk to the roof of the gallery, on which there is apparently a terrace of the hotel. On this roof terrace there is a palm tree, the trunk of which is built from several Crown Eggshell elements.

The facade of the first floor of the hotel has a light color and is decorated with additional arcades. There are also two attached red flags. There is no large hotel sign like the one at 10182 Café Corner. The upper floor is covered by the roof, which is built with turquoise stones."

21 hours ago, Robert8 said:

According to Promobricks, the modular will be a hotel with an art gallery

Sounds extremely exciting to me, always wanted to see an official art gallery modular! 

7 hours ago, darkhorse00 said:

On this roof terrace there is a palm tree, the trunk of which is built from several Crown Eggshell elements.

Ooh, this could be really interesting! Are we finally getting reddish brown crowns?

48618184513_7d30bf4223_c.jpgSummer time by jarekwally, on Flickr

Edited by LegoModularFan

22 hours ago, Robert8 said:

According to Promobricks, the modular will be a hotel with an art gallery

AWESOMENESS!!!!! I can't wait to see it! 

17 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

It is hard to imagine really being able to do a hotel justice even if the whole building was devoted to it.  Having an art gallery on the lowest level is definitely going to limit the size of any lobby a hotel might have.  This does not bode well for a waiting area, cafe, breakfast room, elevator, etc.  

If it is triangular, it is going to also be very interesting to see how it connects with the others.  I hope the Art Gallery does not have a theft story associated with it.  That jail cell in Police Precinct already has to deal with the donut thief, the illegal cookie ring, and the bank robber.  

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve been wanting a Modular Hotel for ages, but I’m not sure how they can do one justice at the typical Module Building size, especially if they’re splitting focus with an Art Gallery. I’m sure it’ll look great regardless though.

16 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I actually really like how that looks!

Looks like this may be the first time I get a Modular Building at launch. I don’t want to miss out on that promo.

Seems like one can repurpose the hotel into a museum of art (or of anything else) and use the smaller gallery as a museum shop.

Okay, I will admit it - I have my own dobout in triangular buildings only…. It’s STILL hard for me to imagine that way.

but the description does sound great to me.

Last year there was a user who predicted a modular building in this thread:

On 11/22/2020 at 11:19 PM, theremin said:

I didn't mean to cause trouble. Just wanted to share this information that I got from a private source and that I'm pretty confident about. What I know so far:

- straight three-story modular, on a regular 32x32 baseplate;
- really stylish exterior, with an Italian feeling;
- it is not a single building, yet it can't be divided;
- classical architecture and typical townhouse style are both represented and mixed;
- unprecedented building technique for the roof;
- color scheme is not as "flamboyant" as some latest modulars;
- main theme is art-related, in a "funny" way;
- a secondary business is linked to food;
- primary subject is very prevailing, as well as the bank in the Brick Bank;
- a small vehicle completes the scene;
- six minifigures included, one of them represents a disabled person;
- designer is Jamie Berard, coming back after the Assembly Square;
- no black box distinctive of the adult-oriented series (to be confirmed);
- it will be available in January at a price of 199,99$;
- GWP car included at launch (winner of this contest).

I thought this could fit together with the description on promobricks: if the hotel terrace was thought of a secondary theme in the set, the hotel was perhaps interpreted as the gallery, since there is no big hotel sign.

Maybe theremin's info was right, but was there another modular building in between! The design of the 2022 modular may have been finished over a year ago.

46 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

I thought this could fit together with the description on promobricks: if the hotel terrace was thought of a secondary theme in the set, the hotel was perhaps interpreted as the gallery, since there is no big hotel sign.

Maybe theremin's info was right, but was there another modular building in between! The design of the 2022 modular may have been finished over a year ago.

As far as I've understood the promobricks guys, they have seen a picture already. They don't mention a car or a disabled minifig. 

I think this info was just made up fake. But you're right, some things in this description match in some way... Let's see.

13 hours ago, badbob001 said:

Seems like one can repurpose the hotel into a museum of art (or of anything else) and use the smaller gallery as a museum shop.

This sounds like a better idea than what we’re officially getting. For one, it’s a single use. Two, the hotel rooms are going to be extremely cramped given the shape of the building. Having floors that are more sparse would be better than furnished hotel rooms. Either way I’m still very excited & intrigued to see how they pulled this off. 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:56 PM, RichardGoring said:

If this sketch is representative of the next modular to be, do you think that the upper left squared portion of the sketch (the hotel section) could be the location of an elevator ? Since the hotel theme was already used in the Café Corner without this feature, this could be a nice way to offer another building (and living) experience 

7 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

If this sketch is representative of the next modular to be, do you think that the upper left squared portion of the sketch (the hotel section) could be the location of an elevator ? Since the hotel theme was already used in the Café Corner without this feature, this could be a nice way to offer another building (and living) experience 

That's a good idea. Although it's important to remember that all I've done is read the Promobricks article and this is the basic impression I formed of the shape in my mind from reading it. But yes, that would be useful space for an elevator, if they had this kind of floor plan.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:06 PM, Fuppylodders said:

Also, does anyone have any idea when the bookshop is going to retire? I'm wondering whether to get it or skip it and go straight to the police station.

I also had some doubts about this modular, but I bought it after seeing the Bonsai Tree set. The tree I also bought and used the green foliage for the birch tree and some backyard garden. Now the set looks great!  

13 hours ago, Wesley D said:

Bogus a year ago. Bogus now.

14 hours ago, Kallego said:

As far as I've understood the promobricks guys, they have seen a picture already. They don't mention a car or a disabled minifig. 

I think this info was just made up fake. But you're right, some things in this description match in some way... Let's see.

It's probably they tossed in a wheelchair, much like they have added bicycles and baby carriages. Although we can't rule out a peg legged artist with one eye and a hook. 

13 hours ago, Faefrost said:

It's probably they tossed in a wheelchair, much like they have added bicycles and baby carriages. Although we can't rule out a peg legged artist with one eye and a hook. 

They put the wheelchair user in the Haunted House / Drop ride in the CE fairground series last year.  I think we’ll see more of this, along with guide dogs etc, as TLG begins to reflect the world around us a bit more.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:56 AM, RichardGoring said:

Nice sketch! If the description clearly suggests the Flatiron as a similar building architecturally, I think that the wall you've drawn with the "Hotel" sign would be gone. It would go straight from the front-facing façade into the angled façade maybe using some kind of technique like the onle used in the Titanic's hull.

I like the layout quite a lot if it actually turns out to be like you've drawn it. I've seen plenty of modulars and none yet with this footprint. And I know that one of the challenges that us MOC modular builders face is finding a novel way of juxtaposing façades in a new and interesting way. A lot of surface area is lost with this concept, though. Although that would be hugely benefitial to the piece count. :pir_laugh2:

2 hours ago, paupadros said:

Nice sketch! If the description clearly suggests the Flatiron as a similar building architecturally, I think that the wall you've drawn with the "Hotel" sign would be gone. It would go straight from the front-facing façade into the angled façade maybe using some kind of technique like the onle used in the Titanic's hull.

I like the layout quite a lot if it actually turns out to be like you've drawn it. I've seen plenty of modulars and none yet with this footprint. And I know that one of the challenges that us MOC modular builders face is finding a novel way of juxtaposing façades in a new and interesting way. A lot of surface area is lost with this concept, though. Although that would be hugely benefitial to the piece count. :pir_laugh2:

Promobricks pretty much confirmed on their site , that the scetch is pretty close to what we actually get. What I don't see, is how pieces can be saved since the circumference of a shape like the hotel in the scetch is pretty much the same like it would be a full square... Plus it probably needs more smaller plates to build the ground of each floor and the extra pieces needed for the art gallery... But I really like the promobricks reaction to the scetch.

22 minutes ago, Kallego said:

Promobricks pretty much confirmed on their site , that the scetch is pretty close to what we actually get. What I don't see, is how pieces can be saved since the circumference of a shape like the hotel in the scetch is pretty much the same like it would be a full square... Plus it probably needs more smaller plates to build the ground of each floor and the extra pieces needed for the art gallery... But I really like the promobricks reaction to the scetch.

Ha! Now I wish I'd put more than a few minutes effort into it. Although we'll see the real thing soon enough.

Whatever the final result, I'm looking forward to it. Some kind of curve to the corner would be terrific.

5 hours ago, Kallego said:

I was suggesting a save in pieces mostly as the gallery has no first or second floors. Plus, no interiors in that whole area. It's true though that this alignment has more pieces dedicated to façades and probably floors/ceilings for each floor as you were saying. If it were to have this layout, it would be the best composition since Downtown Diner for me.

I don’t know how much of a hint it would give us into what it will look like, but we don’t know the designer, do we? 

43 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

I thought someone said it was Jamie, unless I misunderstood. 

Yes.
One rumor from last year said Jamie was designing something with an art theme…so maybe that rumor was correct just off by a year. 

1 hour ago, BrickFit26 said:

I thought someone said it was Jamie, unless I misunderstood. 

Which Jamie?