The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

In the designer video for Downtown Diner, they talk about the fact that there isn't a Lego Hotel. So I really hope for a hotel, or at least a hostel. 

1 hour ago, Citromon said:

In the designer video for Downtown Diner, they talk about the fact that there isn't a Lego Hotel. So I really hope for a hotel, or at least a hostel. 

There is a hotel in the Cafe Corner. So I hope LEGO doesn’t release a new one. I don’t want a repeating buildings

8 minutes ago, street87 said:

There is a hotel in the Cafe Corner. So I hope LEGO doesn’t release a new one. I don’t want a repeating buildings

I thinks it’s only a matter of time before they revisit old ideas to give the new collectors a chance at the old buildings. Though Cafe Corner has the name “Hotel” on the outside, it’s far from a hotel by today’s full interior modular standard.

If they do a hotel I'd want it to be as big as Assembly Square because of all the space. But a modular that big won't probably happen until another anniversary.

LEGO has had Hotels 2015-2020 in Friends (41101), 3-in-1 (31069 Golf Hotel  or even 31109 Pirate Inn alternate builds), City (60200) , so the concept isn't new , but it wouldn't surprise me to see a Hotel in Modular form , since the 2007 version had no interior.

Edited by TeriXeri

Since Cafe Corner is long retired, it feels like LEGO doesn’t consider it an active part of the modular neighbourhood and I doubt they would mind having a new building repeat some of the same uses. Look at Parisian Restaurant and Downtown Diner. Also, if they were looking to reduce the size, it could be a Bed and Breakfast with one or two simple rooms instead of several that would be expected of something labeled a ‘hotel’. 

What might be fun would be a ‘Highrise Hotel’ set that truly makes it easy to buy two or three sets and add storeys upon storeys — but not like most modulars that really only let you stack middle storeys up. 

6 hours ago, street87 said:

I mean, there's already been two cafés, two townhouses, two bakeries, two restaurants, and several apartments, so it's not as though having multiple properties in the same general category would be a radical departure from tradition.

Plus, they could always make a future hotel on the modular street a very different TYPE of hotel than the one in the Café Corner set. That one always struck me as a small, no-frills hotel, judging not only by the small size and slightly tacky neon sign, but also the way it was relegated to the upstairs property of a cafe which was that particular street corner's main attraction.

As such, new modular hotel could easily stand out from existing sets by opting for more upscale design features like those featured in Heartlake Grand Hotel: a highly decorative architectural style like Neo-Renaissance or Art Nouveau, amenities like on-site laundry and dining, elevators instead of stairs (since the last elevator in the modular buildings was eight years ago, and designers could probably come up with a much nicer design today), and maybe even a swimming pool or spa. Minifigures could include a housekeeper, a bellhop, a front desk clerk, and two or three guests.

2 hours ago, Factioneer said:

Also, if they were looking to reduce the size, it could be a Bed and Breakfast with one or two simple rooms instead of several that would be expected of something labeled a ‘hotel’. 

I love the idea of a bed and breakfast.

5 hours ago, Factioneer said:

What might be fun would be a ‘Highrise Hotel’ set that truly makes it easy to buy two or three sets and add storeys upon storeys — but not like most modulars that really only let you stack middle storeys up. 

There was a microscale modular Hotel that was sort of highrise , certainly can see how it could be stackable in full scale if it was a normal set.

40141-1.jpg?201509140105

How would a bed and breakfast differ from a standard house or apartment besides the presence of a "bed and breakfast" sign out front?

A proper hotel would be nice (even with an interior, Café Corner is very much a budget offering). However, like others on this thread I'd love something new. Police station, school, hospital etc. 

22 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I mean, there's already been two cafés, two townhouses, two bakeries, two restaurants, and several apartments, so it's not as though having multiple properties in the same general category would be a radical departure from tradition.

Help me out here, what set was the second bakery in? I only remember the one in Assembly Square :blush:

26 minutes ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

Help me out here, what set was the second bakery in? I only remember the one in Assembly Square :blush:

Market Street?

On 11/1/2020 at 7:14 AM, street87 said:

I think it had the Hotel sign, but it's not necessarily a hotel...

1 hour ago, Sunseeker21 said:

Market Street?

Yep, that's the one. It's not super obvious since there was no brick lettering, printing, or interior furnishing to indicate what sort of business the blue house contained, but it had a sign with a croissant on it, and I'd prefer to believe that was intended as a bakery than as a second cafe released immediately after the first!

Edited by Aanchir

On 11/1/2020 at 7:02 PM, Factioneer said:

Also, if they were looking to reduce the size, it could be a Bed and Breakfast with one or two simple rooms instead of several that would be expected of something labeled a ‘hotel’. 

I doubt a hotel would get more than two bedrooms anyway. I'm surprised how any of the businesses in Modular Street survive given the size of the cinema screening room, the number of tables in restaurants, goods in shops, and so on. Two bedrooms are probably enough to suggest a hotel, with other rooms used for more interesting variations.

Edited by MAB

Wow, I think you guys are onto something with the Bed Breakfast.  I think that is more likely than a Hotel, given that the buildings have been more homely as of late.

Anyone else find it curious and a little frustrating that literally everything for January and beyond has now been leaked all except this building?

im hoping for another entirely new architectural style. They seem to be giving the modular project to someone new each year. I can’t remember who is in the team for “expert” now but I’m hoping for something that was as surprising as the DD. 
I am in favour of an eclectic street with all sorts of styles on it. Would love to see them really go to town on curves and makes something Art Nouveau. The Garage was a bit disappointing as I felt the DD was a breath of fresh air design wise and the DD a step backwards.

3 hours ago, jonahtron said:

Anyone else find it curious and a little frustrating that literally everything for January and beyond has now been leaked all except this building?

Eh, that's pretty much what happens every year. Other sets are in retailer catalogues; the modular isn't.

I do like the varied architectural styles, but I find the color scheme is often the part I'm most curious about. If there's ever a purple modular, I'll probably get it no matter what it actually is (unless it's a police station).

On 11/1/2020 at 9:20 PM, Brandon Pea said:

@Aanchir Do you think THIS has a chance of being a modular? 

resize:800:450

It's a great build, but I'm not so sure about the chance modulars have on LEGO Ideas...

It will never be a modular.

TLG could get a lot of inspiration out of it. but they will release one modular a year, and it will be one they design themselves.
from all the modulars ever designed by a fan. only market street made it. probably because there was no real plan for the modulars