The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Define 'Incredible'..

Most of us would choose a 32 x 32 footprint to start with i guess. 

16 wide would only be fantastic if an enormous amount of bricks are fixed in it in a clever way, and therefore a very expensive  parts list. :classic:

On 20/02/2018 at 12:23 PM, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

16 wide would only be fantastic if an enormous amount of bricks are fixed in it in a clever way, and therefore a very expensive  parts list. :classic:

Yes, it seems you’re correct... But I’ll still list some 16 wide buildings I call “incredible”:

Thisthis and this by @cimddwc

Spoiler

Spring with others

Thisthis and this by Brick Ative (so @lookl and @Pakita)

Spoiler

ICP

CW modulars

Every 16 wide Building by @Barrie Crossan

Spoiler
A (1)  Go-Cruise 16-Wide Lego Modular Building

01 Toy Shack

Amsterdam Hotel - Custom Lego 16-Wide Modular Building

These by @Kristel

Spoiler

Promenade - Brickwork 2015

These by @peedeejay

Spoiler

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_01.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_01.JPG

This by @koalayummies

Spoiler

1_D4C0931

This by @flailx

Spoiler

Lion Building

I tried to give examples in different architectures. I’m sure that there are many other incredible 16 wide modulars but those are the ones I which first come to my mind...

Edited by LegoModularFan

3 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Yes, it seems you’re correct... But I’ll still list some 16 wide buildings I call “incredible”:

Incredible indeed, that's a great assortment you've highlighted there! :thumbup:

All incredible mocs indeed LegoModularFan, but like i said before, huge parts lists at the same time.

Many of them should make their way easily to 10K votes for recognition for sure.

On 20/02/2018 at 2:26 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Thisthis and this by Brick Ative (so @lookl and @Pakita)

Instructions

Spoiler
ICP

CW modulars

Instructions

Spoiler
Promenade - Brickwork 2015

Instructions here or here

Spoiler

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_01.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_01.JPG

On 20/02/2018 at 2:33 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Incredible indeed, that's a great assortment you've highlighted there! :thumbup:

On 20/02/2018 at 3:07 PM, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

All incredible mocs indeed LegoModularFan

Thanks! Glad you liked them!

Edited by LegoModularFan

I just feel a smaller 16 wide modular released each year would be great. Still keep the usual large modular every January but release a smaller one to compliment it every summer so that we end up getting 2 modulars each year released 6 months apart.

You could argue that releasing 2 sets a year would perhaps water down some of their appeal, but dunno about you guys, I'm already itching to know what the next modular will be and it's only February. :laugh:

1 minute ago, Bricked1980 said:

You could argue that releasing 2 sets a year would perhaps water down some of their appeal, but dunno about you guys, I'm already itching to know what the next modular will be and it's only February. :laugh:

If anything, I think a half priced modular would make more consumers aware of the line, catching the attention of those who only shop for sets at a typical retail store. But that's only if Lego were to release such a set to all retailers, instead of just keeping it a brand store exclusive like the larger sets.

So if the modulars are now 170 each then a 16 wide would be around 85. Lego could also bring back the 8x32 plate 4187 and make some 1/4 modulars for 40 each. :grin:

4187.png

Just playing along with the idea, 8-wide is super limiting considering doors take up half the width :laugh:

Well, I'm not sure what track we're on here.  If it were a modular with set instructions to build a specific building, and enough parts for just that build, then you might see something half (or slightly more) price, but if you're shooting for something generic, then it's got to have enough pieces to cover a variety of different builds with different styles and a lot of leftover parts, and in order to make it like that, then that half width building will cost just as much as a 32x32 one, or more.

Maybe there should be something like a "core" building with various color options, and then detail packs or something.  I don't, but I don't see something generic like that working.

I also don't think they have to go out of their way to reach more audience - I don't see that happening, either.

On 20/02/2018 at 6:29 PM, koalayummies said:

Lego could also bring back the 8x32 plate 4187 and make some 1/4 modulars for 40 each. :grin:

:laugh:! Well, there are several 8 wide MOCs but they generally look so ugly... I tried to find some good examples:

This building by @Barrie Crossan

Spoiler
Lego Modular 8-Wide 'Wok2Walk' and Apartment

8 wide is not the limit, @2013-lego has gone even further with this MOC with four 8 wide and one 6 wide building! It works quite well for the width of the buildings but it looks too unnatural IMO...

Spoiler

brickstreet.png

Edited by LegoModularFan

The blue building on DO is a 10-wide. I see no reason for us to see an even skinnier modular in the future. I mean, 8-wide is perfectly feasible, and as a filler of another building, a 6-wide is also a fun idea to toy with. Then again it would be great to see a modular not have the usual squarish shape. I have added 45-degree cut outs to some of my modulars and it looks phenomenal in most cases. A curved wall would also be an interesting idea to play.

This building by @Barrie Crossan

This and Piazza Maria made me take up modulars as the main subject of my MOCs

Edited by paupadros

On 2/19/2018 at 11:32 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I know, it's Minecraft, where designing stuff is the whole point of the game, but perhaps its popularity has inspired kids to desire the same from other Lego themes. Maybe?

I find the "Amazon Discounts List" over on Brickset to be a fairly decent low level rough gauge for how a set did. (yes yes, it is not a real predictor, different factors can alter impressions etc... but it is a good quick look)  Anything at 20% discount or less is typically in it's normal lifecycle or reaching its end and is performing likely as expected sales wise. Anything above that probably failed to hit desired sales numbers and is being blown out of inventory. Minecraft Crafting Box 2.0 a 2017 set is at 36% discount. I leave everyone to reach their own conclusions. 

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

8 wide is not the limit,@2013-lego has gone even further with this MOC with four 8 wide and one 6 wide building! It works quite well for the width of the buildings but it looks too unnatural IMO...

Well, I think not, as I think that's a lovely set of row houses! Great color choices too! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

I find the "Amazon Discounts List" over on Brickset to be a fairly decent low level rough gauge for how a set did. (yes yes, it is not a real predictor, different factors can alter impressions etc... but it is a good quick look)  Anything at 20% discount or less is typically in it's normal lifecycle or reaching its end and is performing likely as expected sales wise. Anything above that probably failed to hit desired sales numbers and is being blown out of inventory. Minecraft Crafting Box 2.0 a 2017 set is at 36% discount. I leave everyone to reach their own conclusions. 

Hmm, have you ever seen any similar information on the first Crafting Box? :sceptic:

Wow. Some great discussion going on in this thread. And some VERY inspirational 16-wide MOC Modulars as well!

I would be very happy with a second, 16-wide Modular being released each year.

I would also be happy if, somewhat similar to the Ninjago Movie line, Lego embraced the "Modular" standard for some of their other lines and gave us things like a Modular Sanctum Sanctorum, Wayne Manor, Avengers Mansion, Hall of Justice, Xavier's School, Baxter Building, (scaled-down) Daily Planet, (scaled down) Daily Bugle, etc. They seem to be slowly edging in that direction with the recently revealed Jurassic World mansion and Sanctum Sanctorum / Pizzeria, but they're purely facades.

Dont know where to put this : 

I just cant get into the diner...something just doesnt do it for me and i loved every modular since my now wife(gf at the time) offered me my 1st modular the parisian restaurant a few years ago , took a bit of wallet hurt but i got up to date (even brought cinema and pet shop couple years ago) but there is something really off about the diner. I will probably get the old fishing store to make up for it this year in my modular street.

My holy grail is ninjago city and im saving every vip point i have for it...i will get there some day (110€ saved already)... i hope lol

35 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

I would also be happy if, somewhat similar to the Ninjago Movie line, Lego embraced the "Modular" standard for some of their other lines and gave us things like a Modular Sanctum Sanctorum, Wayne Manor, Avengers Mansion, Hall of Justice, Xavier's School, Baxter Building, (scaled-down) Daily Planet, (scaled down) Daily Bugle, etc.

Particularly, I could see the Daily Planet, the Daily Bugle, the Avengers Mansion, and the Sanctum Sanctorum all being done as modulars to fit within the Creator Expert line, while the others you mentioned probably are best done as standalone buildings only built within the modular standard.

With both the Daily Planet and the Daily Bugle specifically, I'd imagine that they be done as four story tall, twenty-four stud three quarters width modular buildings to roughly convey the slender profile of a skyscraper without actually being one.

46 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Particularly, I could see the Daily Planet, the Daily Bugle, the Avengers Mansion, and the Sanctum Sanctorum all being done as modulars to fit within the Creator Expert line, while the others you mentioned probably are best done as standalone buildings only built within the modular standard.

With both the Daily Planet and the Daily Bugle specifically, I'd imagine that they be done as four story tall, twenty-four stud three quarters width modular buildings to roughly convey the slender profile of a skyscraper without actually being one.

I think we deserve a new Daily Bugle, being a spider-man fan and missing out on the old one I hope we get one soon and a fully detailed modular version would be nice and have the big screen on the front with J. Jonah Jameson's face on would be sweet. Avengers mansion and a full on Sanctum Sanctorum without any other building, as modular's would be amazing to get. Lego could make good money by spreading the modular system across other themes given the popularity of Ninjago City 

2 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

Lego could make good money by spreading the modular system across other themes given the popularity of Ninjago City 

Now what about 2016's Ghostbusters HQ? Was that at least considered to be built within the modular standard?

13 hours ago, paupadros said:

This and Piazza Maria made me take up modulars as the main subject of my MOCs

Great! So happy those MOCs are made!

8 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

And some VERY inspirational 16-wide MOC Modulars as well!

Thanks! I created a thread just to post inspirational modulars, I personally post there three MOCs everyday, @Digger of Bricks and @Bricked1980 are posting some too, although I wish there are more people posting inspirational MOCs... Hopefully there’re enough inspirational MOCs to post :laugh: Anyway, here’s the topic if you’re interested about: 

8 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

I would also be happy if, somewhat similar to the Ninjago Movie line, Lego embraced the "Modular" standard for some of their other lines and gave us things like a Modular Sanctum Sanctorum, Wayne Manor, Avengers Mansion, Hall of Justice, Xavier's School, Baxter Building, (scaled-down) Daily Planet, (scaled down) Daily Bugle, etc. They seem to be slowly edging in that direction with the recently revealed Jurassic World mansion and Sanctum Sanctorum / Pizzeria, but they're purely facades.

That would be great, although the upcoming Sanctum Santorum has interestingly a quite detailed façade, it must not be too difficult to mod it to a modular... 

7 hours ago, Gpack418 said:

This is the coolest 8 stud I have ever found!  Would love something cool like this!

This MOC is great! 

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Now what about 2016's Ghostbusters HQ? Was that at least considered to be built within the modular standard?

I saw some people who put it in their city. Even if it looks like a modular (the sidewalk), it’s not made with the modular standards. See here for the modular standards. The Ninjago City is very interestingly built with the modular standards though, but it looks too eye-catching and enormous when put with the modulars. 

With all this talk about people wanting 16 wide and smaller modulars released, I just wanted to bring up some Creator buildings that I mentioned in a post on the previous page.

26526778228_da0af3eca4_z_d.jpg

For me these sets always satisfied the need for smaller and cheaper buildings to go with the main Modulars. I know they are much smaller and not even "modular" in their format. They do have a similar look and feel to the modulars though and some pretty interesting build techniques considering their size and the fact they are aimed at a younger audience.

Just like the main modulars, TLG released one of these each year and each set has a pavement/pathway along the front so that they can be stacked side by side in a similar way to their bigger brothers. I do feel that these sets were Lego's attempt to create a cheaper smaller alternative to the Modulars aimed at kids and younger people.

Anyway, my point is that after releasing these sets for 4 years they have now all been retired and with no new additions for this year their is now a gaping hole in the market for smaller town shops and other buildings to compliment the large modulars. A yearly 16 wide modular release would fill that gap perfectly. 

The fact that they'd carried on with these for 4 years would suggest that they were popular sets and their is definitely a market for smaller sets with a similar look and feel to the big modulars.

Edited by Bricked1980

35 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Anyway, my point is that after releasing these sets for 4 years they have now all been retired and with no new additions for this year their is now a gaping hole in the market for smaller town shops and other buildings to compliment the large modulars.

I was believing that the upcoming 31077 Pastry Shop? was the fifth set and they were still continuing... 

2 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I was believing that the upcoming 31077 Pastry Shop? was the fifth set and they were still continuing... 

That was my hope as well when the title of that set was first leaked. Having seen the blurry leaked images of the set though it doesn't look as if it's intended to fit in with those other sets. It doesn't have the same pathway built in front that all the others include and it will have an open back and the modular style that Creator 3in1 sets have adopted on their more recent buildings. The leaked box art also looked to me as if it's supposed to be more of a beach themed set.

It's difficult to tell though from the blurry leaked images so who knows, maybe this set will still look good next to those other Creator shops and buildings.

18 hours ago, just_one said:

Dont know where to put this : 

I just cant get into the diner...something just doesnt do it for me and i loved every modular since my now wife(gf at the time) offered me my 1st modular the parisian restaurant a few years ago , took a bit of wallet hurt but i got up to date (even brought cinema and pet shop couple years ago) but there is something really off about the diner. I will probably get the old fishing store to make up for it this year in my modular street.

My holy grail is ninjago city and im saving every vip point i have for it...i will get there some day (110€ saved already)... i hope lol

Don't have the Diner nor plan on getting it. I think it's a bland piece of nothingness. Great techniques that add zero, absolutely zero to the entire model. All the others are waaaay better.