The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just bought the Pet Shop last night to have before this comes out. Can't wait for more images to come out so we can see more details. Really wondering how this will look next to the PR and the PS.

It looks good!

Apparently a very "masculine" part of the modular street :wink:

I was hoping they would include a gull or two :sceptic: But a new cat is better than nothing! I assume the back alley are rat infested as well?!

I'm pretty sure that Jaime Berard is the designer for this set just the way it's been built.

I am not sure at all about that.

The pool looks great, with very clever use of the new hinges to make the column. The office is fine, but however not much in the "modular building spirit". I mean, it is kind of a grimy building... :/

The barber, ok. It is simple, but ok.

But hell, all the light blue building... They took a model they designed in the 90's and switched the colors ? Oo

I like how it's built in a very different style from previous modulars. That was what made me fall in love with the PR in the first place; how different it was from all the others.

And it's actually the DO and not the DA like we thought :-P

Edited by Jern92

Architecturally its more simple than the others, not sure how I feel about that, definitively a change in the era for modulars, but I hope this is compensated for killer details inside! We will learn more upon the official release, but looks like a good set :)

I have mixed feelings about this. The two uneven buildings is very different, but also feels abit too modern. Expect to see some surprises in the interiors.

We're getting two hair salon in the same season? And nice to see another police lady here, Not sure if the leftest guy is the detective some FOLs expect to see.

My overall first impression is good and I'll definately get this.

But I have some mixed feelings aswell:

pro:

- three fully sized floors in the right building

- the balconies on the front provide a nice change in pattern for the facade

- nice part usage throughout

- a new kind of brickbuilt sign for the pool hall

- covered alleyway

- looks like the portion above the alley is kept in another color, maybe suggesting that that part was added later on

con:

- the buildings look way too american for my taste. Might have to mod the Detective's office to feature a mansard roof to soften that effect.

- stickers (on the windows)

- dark orange, light yellow, brown, reddish brown, 4 different shades of blue, light & dark grey are all featured more or less prominently on the front... that's very colorful. This is something that's also been bugging me with the bike shop (31026).

- the tree in the front is even more of a joke than the one in FB.

It will be a nice addition to modular street, but for me, it doesn't have the 'WOW!'-effect that the first pics of PR had on me (which was the first one that came out after I got into modulars).

Still looking forward to more pics - it has ~230 pieces more than Pet Shop, but they saved a lot of bricks by just having one separating wall and no third floor on the DA - thus I expect a lot of nice details throughout :excited:

Edited by Roger_Smith

I like it as it is mostly for the colourful facade that breaks up the pattern of larger buildings put together. In addition, many interesting bricks seem to be included for architectural details. I like the columns in the left part of the building and the awnings bellow the roof. Even the stickers add a nice touch to the facade, and I'm looking forward to see other (hidden) details in the official promotion video. As it is, I might get an extra copy of the set for part out later on.

It also looks like a departure from the love story we've gotten in the modulars:

PC: first date

PR: proposal

GE: Suit and dress choice for upcoming marriage

TH: Wedding

PS: New apartment to start a family

DO: wife has run away and husband hires a private detective to find her?

Edited by mapimi

This looks awesome! I haven't really picked up any modular buildings before, but this is most definitely gong to be a day one purchase for me. :grin:

Not as classy as the Parisian Restaurant but it captures a different mood very effectively. I like the variations in height... but depending on how it looks in real life I might be tempted to build the brown section in medium/light blue (assuming all the parts are available) just to cut down on the number of different colours as in this picture it looks rather busy. That tree might have to go too....

What part are they using on the top facade of the detective office? Looks very strange and I cant ID it at all.

Looks like one of the new Bionicle fists to me!

I'll probably nitpick far down the road, like the fire brigade's 'L' swctions bordering the rollup door that are so flimsy and unsquareable, but why? Place looks great.

That box cover is eye catching! The balance between the architecture and the folks running around in the scene is fabulous. Only the PC has as much front of box appeal. This is going to look SO good on the 'street'!! Can't wait to see the inside...and how the floors seperate!

Onward to pricing details!

Good looking set. I really like these two-in-one modulars. It could easily be one I would build to keep on my shelf after years of focussing on MOCing.

And a pair of scissors!!! :laugh:

The lights on the barber shop... It's made with this part in black.

12885.jpg

I create a lamp with the same part just a few months ago... :wink:

15802747242_4807a48b2b_o.png

Edited by kevin8

Looks like it'll be a fun modular to build having varying heights and interiors. I suppose it made sense after the last building was European themed that this is more american styled. Some nice looking techniques on display from what I can see so far. The era of this building is definately right up my alley if you'll excuse the terrible pun!

Well I think it's freaking awesome. :sweet: Sounds a bit childish but that was literally the first thing that crossed my mind. They are keeping to get even more NPU's in these modulars! :wub:

Dam it, Lego just when I though I wouldn't consider going back to modulars you came up with this very cool set :wub: ......Ace Brickman P.I. awesome character name eh ? :grin:

Very 1950's N.Y,.....only a cop car or yellow cab is missing ! :blush:

The paint roller lamp trick I'm going to consider using next year in some of my MOC's.

The POOL sign is fantastic, I like the fusion of sticker and brick built signs ! :thumbup:

I can't wait to see more pictures.

Edit - I noticed there is a female police officer with a new torso....has female hips and I think a new hair piece as well.

Edited by lightningtiger