MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

6 hours ago, Old Master said:

so quiet as of late, was thinking that Ahsoka trailer would unearth some more content.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Oh well.

3 hours ago, Llewop said:

gunship could link to the series

I don't think so, the box leak is a clone wars themed one which would suggest it's a clone wars set

1 hour ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Yeah that's what I thought too. Oh well.

I don't think so, the box leak is a clone wars themed one which would suggest it's a clone wars set

I don't the suggestion was that it wasn't a clone wars set, but that Lucas film might have suggested that particular clone wars set because it might play into the Ahsoka show.

( Though we only ever saw them used on Scipio, red distinguishes diplomatic immunity within the republic fleet so they wouldn't really need them on the captial.)

Edited by Agent Kallus

That has to be one of the worst looking Lego sets I’ve ever seen. What were they thinking haha. 

:iamded_lol: 

(That's all, that's my entire thoughts on Chewbacca, it's £200ish I won't be spending)

Edited by Agent Kallus

This sort of thing looks nice as a MOC, but not as a Lego set. The face looks creepy but the overall statue is a respectable effort and does capture Chewbacca’s shaggy / rugged form.

But..I mean come on, really? A £200 set that looks like this? No thank you, just a waste of a slot. 

On the plus side, Exabricks seems to imply we should be seeing the remaining Ahsoka sets soon, hype levels are entering the Unknown Regions.

Ok, the face is a bit derpy, but it’s not that bad! :laugh: Let’s just hope they’ll never do human characters in this style :snicker:

I think it's a really convincing model aside from the face. This is one of those sets, though, whose details (a la the face) you gotta make sure you can nail before green-lighting the production process. The comments regarding the face are universally "ugh" so far.

The bow-caster does look pretty cool from what I can see, too.

This Chewbacca thing is horrible. It goes under the same umbrella as brickbuilt helmets for me, even if you give me one for free I wouldn't take it. They could have done so many different things with this set budget and they decided on this.

I agree with the general sentiments of "Why?"

I also do not think this looks like a particularly fun build. Lump this in with the Cap Shield for builds i don't think I'd get any satisfaction from. I built the Harry and Hermione giant characters and the hair was not the highlight of those builds is all i'm saying.

Lego Exec 1: "you know that one thing we keep trying to do that everybody hates?"
Lego Exec 2: "Luke's Landspeeders?"
Exec 1: "Well yes but I meant buildable figures"
Exec 2: "Oh yeah of-course, what a disaster those were. Those Jyn Erso one's are STILL clogging up shelves 7 years later"
Exec 1: "Wanna try and do a $200 one and start with a furry mostly animalistic creature we can't depict out of mostly square pieces of plastic? Oh and we'll make it one of the most literally ugly characters too"
Exec 2: "You're a genius!"
Exec 1: "Great, I'll also give the idea over to an intern from the coffee shop across the street so it costs us nothing to design"
Exec 2: "muhahahaha"

1 minute ago, Hhalcyon said:

Exec 1: "Great, I'll also give the idea over to an intern from the coffee shop across the street so it costs us nothing to design"

I think that's a little unfair to the designer. I do think this set is hideous but that's mostly down to some small details that ruin it. I think the designer mostly did a decent job they ere just given a near impossible task.

And with build able characters Grogu and the droids all look pretty great, it's just Yoda and Chewie here that look nightmarish. I know you were comparing him to the Ccbs figures but I think he's a different kettle of fish. I doubt you can pose him, though I do wonder just how much bigger he is than the superheroes action figures considering he's 7x more expensive.

11 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Lego Exec 1: "you know that one thing we keep trying to do that everybody hates?"
Lego Exec 2: "Luke's Landspeeders?"
Exec 1: "Well yes but I meant buildable figures"
Exec 2: "Oh yeah of-course, what a disaster those were. Those Jyn Erso one's are STILL clogging up shelves 7 years later"
Exec 1: "Wanna try and do a $200 one and start with a furry mostly animalistic creature we can't depict out of mostly square pieces of plastic? Oh and we'll make it one of the most literally ugly characters too"
Exec 2: "You're a genius!"
Exec 2: "muhahahaha"

Exec 1: "People will buy it anyway."

Exec 2: "They always do."

15 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I think that's a little unfair to the designer. I do think this set is hideous but that's mostly down to some small details that ruin it. I think the designer mostly did a decent job they ere just given a near impossible task.

And with build able characters Grogu and the droids all look pretty great, it's just Yoda and Chewie here that look nightmarish. I know you were comparing him to the Ccbs figures but I think he's a different kettle of fish. I doubt you can pose him, though I do wonder just how much bigger he is than the superheroes action figures considering he's 7x more expensive.

100% agree. There was no way this was going to be good, the designer did his/her best. That said,

Even Yoda wasn't so bad IMO, for him it was just the eyes. Here, I've got a variety of issues, that mostly come down to "chewbacca has shaggy fur and it doesn't fit for a lego statue of this size". He looks like Clayface in how his legs build up and his feet look like they're sticking into the floor. He looks like his face melts into his torso. His mouth looks horrifying. But even if all those things were fixed, I just can't see anyone spending $200 on a buildable chewbacca statue. At least with the droids, helmets, and the Child, I see the appeal for some.

26 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

I've been over this a few times, but it's frequently not the designer's fault. There was no way this was gonna work. (Now that said, there are some examples, like @Ransom Fern's hulkbuster alt build, where a design was produced that was better than the official one in every way, including stability and playability, but it's pretty rare.)

Ahh, the thing nobody wants looks as ugly as everyone imagined. I love it when a plan comes together.

People always saying "this is one of the Lego sets of all time."

I think buildable Chewy is the Lego set of all time.

Edited by Old Master

Lego are now reaching the point where I can't tell if the designers are trying to make something people want or whether they are simply trolling, creating pure abject nightmare fuel like Chewbacca solely because they have too much money and nobody to stop them - reminds me of how Disney treats its franchises nowadays

The Chewie figure looks awful and is a pass for sure, my main question is who this is aimed at cause the all-black box leads me to believe this is part of the adult run of sets but there is no way adults are gonna buy this, especially at the $200 price tag. 

Up until now I was hoping for a reprieve, for someone to confirm that the 200$ buildable Chewbacca was a joke, a misread by some leaker, some concept idea that was never to be acted upon. Unfortunately ti was true, and I can't help but wonder if there will be someone who will buy it at full price because they really enjoy it - not for a review, not to re-sell, not as a part pack, just to build it and proudly display it.

2 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Lego are now reaching the point where I can't tell if the designers are trying to make something people want or whether they are simply trolling, creating pure abject nightmare fuel like Chewbacca solely because they have too much money and nobody to stop them - reminds me of how Disney treats its franchises nowadays

Ok, it's a bad set but this take is out there. The idea has precedent - buildable figures like BB-8, Yoda, Grogu, etc. The only horrifying part of the model is the face. The build might not be the best, but sans the face, do you really think it looks that bad? I think it sells poorly and I think it was a mistake, but I absolutely don't think LEGO is trolling anyone with this. Probably a sign they have the capital to try stuff that's out there and will hopefully learn from sales whether to do things like this in the future.

It’s interesting. Not necessarily something that people were asking for, and not something that I will be buying, but I don’t hate it. It still looks like Chewbacca, and I am not quite sure how to do it better at the same scale, That, though, leads to the matter of scale and corresponding price and then back to the question of whether it is warranted and if the set itself wanted. Especially based on the reaction today, this will not be a good seller, not to mention the $200 price tag. I like the use of the lipstick pieces for teeth, though, and it looks like the torso is angled in relation to the legs, which could be neat. Overall, it is not a set I will be buying, but I will enjoy looking at it in the display at the LEGO Store. 

Seriously, whats going on with lego like last ten sets for adults are straight to the bin material.

I kinda wish for Chewbacca, but not this parody for 200 euro...

Bummer