Regarding Sariel's authenticity rating:

He argues quite well that 42146 is not recognizable as any known version of LR13000. Would anybody here identify 42146 as a model of LR13000 with non clues given, other than the picture of the 42146 (without stickers)? How to compare apples and bananas? Of course, 42146 is a crawler crane, and works quite well as that (as Sariel also points out). When TLG claims 42146 is a LR13000 version, it should be to at least some degree recognizable as that. Just a wild example, if 8110 was marketed as an Arocs, how would we rate the authenticity? 8110 is a great model, but clearly not an Arocs.

If the reason for Sariel's zero stars is that authenticity, in his opinion, could not be rated, a tip to him could be to put N/A (not applicable) in stead of zero stars, or a footnote explaining zero stars.

Just my two cents...

49 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

If Lego is clever enough, they reuse the parts for a smaller tower crane future set. With one Hub in the back as counterweight and 3 motors for hook, trolley and rotation. 

With 7 stud block size for the frames, a potential crane won't bei very large, like this

https://bricksafe.com/pages/timtimgo/22013-tower-crane

@Timorzelorzworz I agree, there would be a decent amount of designs coming to ReBricable. That design you have shared, is that available anywhere? It is one of the best I have seen for a while and might build it.

5 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

If Lego is clever enough, they reuse the parts for a smaller tower crane future set.

I'm really hoping for a revisit of something like 42042 using the dedicated "truss boom only" parts so that I can buy a Technic set that includes the valuable part of this one. Any kind of boom crane, even a rail container crane would be fine. Ideally without electrics, because while I have a couple of Control+ things they'd not in my top 10 of Lego electric systems. I rate the old 4.5V first-generation motors that only worked with metal axle wheels as the closest parallel (those were also expensive, didn't work very well, and stopped working within 10 years).

I'm torn between hoping the trusses come out on Pick a Brick at a reasonable price and suspecting that these will go the way of a lot of other single-use parts from pricey sets and never be seen again. But if TLG is feeling particularly cranky they'll produce a single-colour crane using all the key parts except it will be green.

7 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

His reviews are fuelled by bitterness... i find them very poor. He should sulk less and find a happy place.

I think that is the main reason his channel is sunsetting.

17 minutes ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

I always thought sariels reviews have way more clicks that Balasz, but it's the other way around, now!

One really thing I always look forward to on reviews of Sariel are the comparison of new parts to older ones and the mentioning of new coloured ones. The speed-build is really unnecessary, always skip this part.

7 hours ago, HRU_Bricks said:

@Timorzelorzworz I agree, there would be a decent amount of designs coming to ReBricable. That design you have shared, is that available anywhere? It is one of the best I have seen for a while and might build it.

I'm working on updated version and plan to share it in the next time on RB

2 hours ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

I wouldn't agree with that, I think it's because he just doesn't post as much content as he used to

Edited by Bartybum

13 hours ago, kbalage said:

The tilt of the hub and the whole superstructure changes based on the load and that is measured, not sure what you would consider "proper" load sensing?

I am not a crane expert but I with hoping for a kind of weight sensor.

Tilt solution works but for me in the description TLG should have write "tilt detection" or "load sensing based on tilt"

12 minutes ago, fred-eric said:

I am not a crane expert but I with hoping for a kind of weight sensor.

Tilt solution works but for me in the description TLG should have write "tilt detection" or "load sensing based on tilt"

The solution is quite clever I think. That also is more in common with the Lego principle of using the pieces (or components) that you have and make something new instead of creating new pieces for each task.

It's surprisingly quiet after reviews release. ;-)

For me this set is semi let-down. It works nicely, has robust structure, the load sensing is good showcase of using tilt sensor.

I don't like using such large frames. The whole model is only remotely similar to the LR13000. And it looks not very stable.

I'm disappointed by the counterweights. Not only they are very light, but it's not possible to fix anything to it.

The direction of using more and more specialized parts that simplify build seem counter-lego.

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

One really thing I always look forward to on reviews of Sariel are the comparison of new parts to older ones and the mentioning of new coloured ones. The speed-build is really unnecessary, always skip this part.

Same here. 

I wait for RB reviews to see the "main building points" which he shows in very interesting way, while Sariel does not show at all.

If I'm not wrong - this crane has two oulleys in the hook which are NOT rotatable independently???

And did anybody investigate the strings chords lenghs?

15 hours ago, allanp said:

I found it a bit odd that the zero stars was for authenticity, when it's quite mechanically authentic for a crawler crane. Unfortunately Sariels view of authenticity is only skin deep, focusing on the looks only (despite having a separate score also just for the looks) whilst ignoring the mechanics, which again I find odd for a Technic review.

quite mechanically authentic for a crawler crane, not for a flagship Liebherr-called model. Don't forget that an end buyer pays license fee which is obviously included in those $700

Edited by Aleh

Here in Switzerland reputable online shops are already offering the set for pre-order at prices well below RRP, the lowest currently being 66% of RRP.

I just watched Sariel's review, but I'm a bit bothered that he referred to the ball socket parts as being new, when they've been in Spike Prime sets since 2020. Of course, this set will bring them more into the mainstream, but it's not like the part was just designed for this set.

39370.png

with such an approach to marketing, as approached in relation to 42146-Lego will soon be able to sell scooters to the blind legless!😂😂😂 Bravo TLG!  I admire your marketing department and take my hat off.

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

If I'm not wrong - this crane has two oulleys in the hook which are NOT rotatable independently???

And did anybody investigate the strings chords lenghs?

quite mechanically authentic for a crawler crane, not for a flagship Liebherr-called model. Don't forget that an end buyer pays license fee which is obviously included in those $700

Yeah but it's mechanically authentic to the LR13000 is it not? I mean, to be mechanically more authentic I guess it could have used two motors to drive hydraulic pumps to drive various hydraulic motors, each winch having several hydraulic motors to drive it on the real one, but besides that how is it not mechanically authentic to the LR13000? I agree it doesn't look authentic but he has a separate score for looks, and in the Technic theme authenticity shouldn't only be about the look of a model but about the mechanical nature of it as well as the looks, perhaps more so than the looks. In that regard "big red", 42100, the hauler, the cat D11 and 8043 would score a zero long before the Liebherr if we're being truly objective. 

17 minutes ago, allanp said:

Yeah but it's mechanically authentic to the LR13000 is it not? I mean, to be mechanically more authentic I guess it could have used two motors to drive hydraulic pumps to drive various hydraulic motors, each winch having several hydraulic motors to drive it on the real one, but besides that how is it not mechanically authentic to the LR13000? I agree it doesn't look authentic but he has a separate score for looks, and in the Technic theme authenticity shouldn't only be about the look of a model but about the mechanical nature of it as well as the looks, perhaps more so than the looks. In that regard "big red", 42100, the hauler, the cat D11 and 8043 would score a zero long before the Liebherr if we're being truly objective. 

I guess he scored zero because according to him, the boom setup of Lego doesn't match any real setups of the LR13000.

5 minutes ago, Lipko said:

I guess he scored zero because according to him, the boom setup of Lego doesn't match any real setups of the LR13000.

Which it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Danil said:

with such an approach to marketing, as approached in relation to 42146-Lego will soon be able to sell scooters to the blind legless!😂😂😂 Bravo TLG!  I admire your marketing department and take my hat off.

Danil, there is no need to taunt or bully people who are buying this. Some people can afford it at this price, some people like it and there is nothing wrong if they decided to buy this set. 

5 hours ago, Jundis said:

The solution is quite clever I think. That also is more in common with the Lego principle of using the pieces (or components) that you have and make something new instead of creating new pieces for each task.

they did it for the new frames. And some time it is good to have new pieces like the ones for the gearboxes ;-)

Another explanation for the big price tag is that TLG had to purchase a new larger molding machine to be able to produce those thick ABS slabs and for all the frame-struts smaller ones. Or it could be because they know this set is a failure, that couldn't be fixed even with a year delay, and to compensate the losses some genius from finance suggested to increase the price by 50% and reach the same sales as selling more copies for cheaper would yield. They would still get full price from retailers, but the retailers would have to discount the set heavily to be able to get them off the shelves. Amazon, Proshop and the likes can afford such losses anyway.

Edited by R0Sch

2 hours ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Danil, there is no need to taunt or bully people who are buying this. Some people can afford it at this price, some people like it and there is nothing wrong if they decided to buy this set. 

unfortunately and alas, in no case do I laugh and do not scare people, I am also in the ranks of the first buyers despite ALL of its shortcomings.  It infuriates me that tlg is outright slag!  Why, after so many masterpieces like 8043,42082,42145, do we get not a flagship, but a donor of new parts and electrics?  Where are the interesting and exciting mechanisms?  Where are the most interesting technical solutions?  Agree - that lately, in most cases, we do not buy sets, but new parts!  In the last 3 years, they have released as many parts as they released during the "new format" period from 2004 to 2019.  Think about it! The price of kits is the smallest problem of modern kits....

Edited by Danil

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Which it doesn't.

I keep on seeing this argument, but it really didn't take me long to find this image. Same boom config, same red accents...

I can't understand why the signal from tilt sensor is not used to move counterweight forward/backward to keep the crane level. At least that's how I unerstand the real thing works. Big missed opportunity here.

1 minute ago, Snorrowitz said:

I keep on seeing this argument, but it really didn't take me long to find this image. Same boom config, same red accents...

The problem is that the booms are like 50% shorter and there is no second counterweight. Seems like that is how it was supposed to look, but designers ran into some serious strength/stability problems.

5 minutes ago, Snorrowitz said:

Я продолжаю видеть этот аргумент, но мне действительно не потребовалось много времени, чтобы найти это изображение. Та же конфигурация стрелы, те же красные акценты...

https://youtu.be/8410jbcMMD0