MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

So I just got 75302 and it’s…nice. It’s not the best thing they could have done and I’m certain it’s no Tydirium, but with the exception of that chin, it’s actually quite nice. 

3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

So I just got 75302 and it’s…nice. It’s not the best thing they could have done and I’m certain it’s no Tydirium, but with the exception of that chin, it’s actually quite nice. 

Agreed. I built it last night and added a few small mods and it looks good. Most significantly changing the 4x8 plate under the nose for a 4x6 so the clips that attach the upper nose sit lower.

I've got the shuttle on order and have some white tile and grille pieces ready to add more greebling to the side wings - although I'll probably display it in landed position so the extra detail won't be much visible anyway. Will see what's possible with the nose, hopefully some inverted slopes will create a better contour. If that means loosing the stud shooters, no loss.

I'm sure its been said enough already, but I still don't get the choice to go with so few figs in the shuttle with all three being very available in the last few years' sets. the two less expensive "scaled down sets" threw in new or rare figs to spice up the offering so why not the 70$. A new imp Officer or Death Star Astromech would have sold at least some amount of additional sets and required no new molds.

Since about 2012 I've had enough funds to purchase nearly every Star Wars Lego set, and it does not take much to convince me to purchase a slightly better version of a set. Example i bought the 2019 AT-AP even though I own the 2014 model because the feet were correct. I bought the recent TIE even though I own the 2012 and 2018 TIEs because the Black droid had slightly different printing than the one from the Death Star.

If you have the 2015 Shuttle and the figs this set offers nothing, which is rare for Lego if you stretch the meaning of what offering something new entails. 

Edited by Archer

3 hours ago, Archer said:

I'm sure its been said enough already, but I still don't get the choice to go with so few figs in the shuttle with all three being very available in the last few years' sets.

I guess it’s a limitation of this set hosting three figs only. Since Luke and Vader chill in the back, a pilot was needed in the cockpit. For that purpose, an existing fig was probably enough. What makes this set attractive is that it’s a Lambda shuttle, and it’s affordable.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

I'm sure its been said enough already, but I still don't get the choice to go with so few figs in the shuttle with all three being very available in the last few years' sets. the two less expensive "scaled down sets" threw in new or rare figs to spice up the offering so why not the 70$. A new imp Officer or Death Star Astromech would have sold at least some amount of additional sets and required no new molds.

Since about 2012 I've had enough funds to purchase nearly every Star Wars Lego set, and it does not take much to convince me to purchase a slightly better version of a set. Example i bought the 2019 AT-AP even though I own the 2014 model because the feet were correct. I bought the recent TIE even though I own the 2012 and 2018 TIEs because the Black droid had slightly different printing than the one from the Death Star.

If you have the 2015 Shuttle and the figs this set offers nothing, which is rare for Lego if you stretch the meaning of what offering something new entails. 

Honestly I would have been perfectly fine if they just gave Vader arm printing but they didn't even bother to do that. I still don't have a Lambda so I'll more than likely pick this set up to fill that gap in my collection at a fairly affordable price which is really the best part of the set. It still looks pretty good on display as long as you don't have it on a high shelf.

9 hours ago, Archer said:

two less expensive "scaled down sets" threw in new or rare figs to spice up the offering so why not the 70$. A new imp Officer or Death Star Astromech would have sold at least some amount of additional sets and required no new molds

Even a regular scout trooper or stormtrooper would have been good, or why not Moff Jerjerrod, mirroring the inclusion of General Dodonna in the X wing. Considering the AU$130 price tag it does not seem enticing, since I can buy two of the TIE Fighter for almost that price or almost two X wing sets and get way better figures and a better model.

I've just finished building my 75302 Imperial Shuttle & I like it very much.

There's loads of opportunity for improvement too. I've already modded the cockpit, which looks great now. Mods on the main interior are complete, but I'll change that out by ordering some new parts. I'm not 100% happy with it yet.

The stud shooter was never fitted, that area has a white 1x2 curve slope either side & two inverted white  1x1 slopes in the centre. My shuttle is looking much better already. 

I need to place an order for white tiles to improve the wings too.  :classic:

On 3/6/2021 at 8:20 AM, Archer said:

I think technically the pilot is exclusive, though I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I agree that it would have benefitted from something extra to get those who own tydirium to consider it, though for people who don't have a shuttle it's a nice (and cheaper) alternative.

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think technically the pilot is exclusive, though I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I agree that it would have benefitted from something extra to get those who own tydirium to consider it, though for people who don't have a shuttle it's a nice (and cheaper) alternative.

Both the pilot and the Vader included are exclusive to the Shuttle as of now. The pilot has slightly update torso printing and the Vader is the same as the one found in the Summer sets, minus the arm printing. For $70 I would have wished they would have carried that arm printing over to this set. 

On 3/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, Soupperson1 said:

Does anyone know when the magazine with Palpatine is supposed to release in U.K. and Ireland? One site lists March 17th but it already seems to be out in Germany. 

Can I ask where you pick this up in Ireland ? I tend to pick up the foil packs from ebay, but if it was easier to get the magazine I would. thanks

Lego Fulcrum (reliable leaker) just revealed that the Scout Trooper helmet isn't actually a Scout Trooper helmet - it's a First Order Stormtrooper helmet in fact.

Not that I care about helmets, but I think it's a better choice.

6 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Lego Fulcrum (reliable leaker) just revealed that the Scout Trooper helmet isn't actually a Scout Trooper helmet - it's a First Order Stormtrooper helmet in fact.

That’ll be hard to capture, but it could definitely be neat.

This probably bodes well for the helmet line in the future.  I'm not a ST fan and have no interest in a FO Stormie helmet (don't really like the design much, honestly), but the fact that they're branching out beyond the OT in just the second wave of these things suggests that the first wave probably did very well. 

I'm curious how this one turns out, the Boba Fett helmet, to me, looked the best, because it's the most "square" of the helmets, whereas both the TIE pilot and Stormtrooper are a bit more angular and rounded, but the FO Stormtrooper helmet to me seems even more curved than the OT Stormtrooper helmet.  It might actually be easier, because they can sort of make it a lot more spherical without worrying about strange angles, whereas the helmets from last year had the problem of being kind of spherical but also kind of not, if that makes sense.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:08 PM, ToaDraco said:

When Han goes into carbonite, it dosen't preserve his perfect perm,  it smashes his hair down and looks just like the old Han hair piece.

I'll go one further: why did they need to do away with the old Han hairpiece in the first place? It looks more than good enough, and it's not like the new one is 100% screen accurate so why change it over?

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

I'll go one further: why did they need to do away with the old Han hairpiece in the first place? It looks more than good enough, and it's not like the new one is 100% screen accurate so why change it over?

To me, the new one looks a lot better, especially for ESB Han (like this).  It's not perfect but I think the old one looked a bit too simplistic compared to the upgraded Luke or Leia hair pieces.

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

upgraded Luke

I've not been happy with a Luke hairpiece since they changed from the standard male hair to the long hair a decade ago. The newer one looks even uglier imo. I wasn't aware Leia's had changed.

As for Han, I can see that shapewise the newer one is closer to ESB than the original male - but, perhaps because I associate it with Ehrenreich's Han, it looks too young to belong to him. There could also be some bias because I don't like the piece itself - and perhaps a chunk of nostalgia for the Lego Star Wars videogames!

4 hours ago, saibot said:

Can I ask where you pick this up in Ireland ? I tend to pick up the foil packs from ebay, but if it was easier to get the magazine I would. thanks

The magazines can be bought in most places were a wide selection of magazines are sold like Super Valu, Tesco, Costcutter, Easons etc. They don’t always get them on time though. XP 

31 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I've not been happy with a Luke hairpiece since they changed from the standard male hair to the long hair a decade ago. The newer one looks even uglier imo. I wasn't aware Leia's had changed.

As for Han, I can see that shapewise the newer one is closer to ESB than the original male - but, perhaps because I associate it with Ehrenreich's Han, it looks too young to belong to him. There could also be some bias because I don't like the piece itself - and perhaps a chunk of nostalgia for the Lego Star Wars videogames!

That comment on Ehrenreich actually makes a lot of sense. It has always felt off to me and that’s probably why. I do like the piece (mostly because I like more detail on figs as opposed to less) but it could have been a bit more cut back? If that makes sense? Then again it is a Lego fig and not a Black Series or something so maybe I’m asking for too much variation. 

Edited by hondohnaka

33 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

This probably bodes well for the helmet line in the future.  I'm not a ST fan and have no interest in a FO Stormie helmet (don't really like the design much, honestly), but the fact that they're branching out beyond the OT in just the second wave of these things suggests that the first wave probably did very well. 

I think the line will be around for awhile. Any time I go into a Target or our local LEGO store, the helmets are either low stock or out, especially Boba. I finally snagged him a week ago after waiting about 3 months for him to come back in stock. I'd honestly rather have a Scout Trooper than a FO Stormtrooper, but I'm open to seeing what the Stormtrooper is like. Vader's helmet should be interesting, too. It's over twice the piece count of the SW Celebration bust. 

2 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

That comment on Ehrenreich actually makes a lot of sense. It has always felt off to me and that’s probably why. I do like the piece (mostly because I like more detail on figs as opposed to less) but it could have been a bit more cut back? If that makes sense? Then again it is a Lego fig and not a Black Series or something so maybe I’m asking for too much variation. 

I think that's the crux of it. In a perfect world, maybe they'd have introduced a new mould for OT Han - but a screen-accurate one would be too similar to the existing Solo one, so they compromised on using the same piece.

20 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I think that's the crux of it. In a perfect world, maybe they'd have introduced a new mould for OT Han - but a screen-accurate one would be too similar to the existing Solo one, so they compromised on using the same piece.

That mould was intended for OT Han from the very start though, the first time it was used was in 2016 for the Death Star playset, so 1.5 years before the Solo sets were released :wink:

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

That mould was intended for OT Han from the very start though, the first time it was used was in 2016 for the Death Star playset, so 1.5 years before the Solo sets were released :wink:

Huh. I guess I don't have as good an eye as I thought! :pir-wench:

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Aw no, I was well excited for a Scout Trooper :sad: ah well, it's still a good look and it's good that they're branching out. Just need them to branch out into the good guys now...

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Not sure how that got mixed up, but I agree. If they branch out into other eras, we could easily get clones, jet troopers, sith troopers, etc down the line.

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

.and perhaps a chunk of nostalgia for the Lego Star Wars videogames!

Did you know they're on phones now? I just found it for IOS and I'm halfway through attack of the clones.

13 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Aw no, I was well excited for a Scout Trooper :sad: ah well, it's still a good look and it's good that they're branching out. Just need them to branch out into the good guys now...

I'm not sure why a clone helmet with alternate colors and rebel pilot helmet with alternate insignias hasn't been produced as part of the first or second wave. It seems like those would be more popular than a TIE pilot, at least.