MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

On 9/23/2020 at 2:13 PM, Archer said:

I'm not suggesting a CMF series will happen only that conceptually it is a product that could fill the BP niche I'm trying to be optimistic that if BPs are actually done, they'll probably fill their spot with something similar, where figs are the selling point. 

I understand but with recent rumors i dont feel optimistic about anything LEGO star wars theme does. I did think over CMF though and with recent trends of LEGO going into secondary markets(lighting kits,copying funko pops,helmet companies,bust companies,hasbro,art/posters,lightsaber companies and buying bricklink)  its actually quite possible they would want to crack down on companies like Clone Army Customs and just do a full clone CMF series and to avoid getting named clone characters they can just sell Cody,Rex,Fox,Bly separately or in big expensive sets. People would go crazy for stuff like that.

8 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I understand but with recent rumors i dont feel optimistic about anything LEGO star wars theme does. I did think over CMF though and with recent trends of LEGO going into secondary markets(lighting kits,copying funko pops,helmet companies,bust companies,hasbro,art/posters,lightsaber companies and buying bricklink)  its actually quite possible they would want to crack down on companies like Clone Army Customs and just do a full clone CMF series and to avoid getting named clone characters they can just sell Cody,Rex,Fox,Bly separately or in big expensive sets. People would go crazy for stuff like that.

They would never make an all-clone CMF. If they ever make one expect it to consist of mostly main characters.

7 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

the thing is the "newer" and more expensive sets are not more accurate. The ressistance X-Wing for example should be smaller and much more compact. Instead it always reused the same design as the OT X-Wing. The T-Fighter for Solo was absurdly complex but non of the design choices make any sense. Colour and shape of many parts were still wrong - they had a slightly smaller base design, which was used for the Rebels T-Prototype and Vader's Tie. There was no reason to change it. It looked worse and used more parts.

The design of the TIE Fighters definitely peaked with Rebels' Inquisitor and Darth Vader fighters. The cockpit only used basic parts like slopes, corner bricks and a windscreen for the top hatch but they captured the smooth round shape of the ship better than any other attempt since.

I've found a lot of sets were well scaled the first time around but have been gradually blown out of scale with each subsequent remake. The latest Landspeeder is a prime example of this. While some of the added detail is nice the overall set is ridiculously long and really has no reason for being as large as it is.

41 minutes ago, wesker said:

The design of the TIE Fighters definitely peaked with Rebels' Inquisitor and Darth Vader fighters. The cockpit only used basic parts like slopes, corner bricks and a windscreen for the top hatch but they captured the smooth round shape of the ship better than any other attempt since.

I've found a lot of sets were well scaled the first time around but have been gradually blown out of scale with each subsequent remake. The latest Landspeeder is a prime example of this. While some of the added detail is nice the overall set is ridiculously long and really has no reason for being as large as it is.

best example is the Snowspeeder. Or actually any speeder or smaller Walker. Here I understand a bit the details, building experience, features and stability, which they want for child-products.

But the sets dont speak to me. Look at any decent Snowspeeder MOC - they are smaller and dont have anything in common with the official ones.

Let's see how the X-Wing and Tie will turn out. Maybe they will be better than the 70-100 € ones :grin:

Prelims of the Tie and Lambda have leaked on Instagram. I think they turned out pretty well for scaled down versions! 

I think they actually look really good considering the scale-down. The Lambda does look on the small side but I guess that can't be helped - if the interior is the same space-wise as the 2001 version it'll work just fine as a playset.

Looking forward to seeing how the X-wing will look now.

EDIT: according to Landino the Lambda is fake. TIE is apparently legit though, which is nice.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

I love the scaled down TIE, it looks really nice and the cockpit looks more round than the Solo one. It makes me want to get the Rebels TIE Advanced vs A-Wing even more now.

The new TIE Fighter looks great! The scale matches the original 2001 set, the cockpit looks rounded and its retained the grey framework on the solar panels. Couldn't ask for anything more really.

Hopefully this leads to the rest of the Imperial TIE variants getting redone at this scale in the near future.

Wasn't sure about the scaled down versions of these vehicles, but I'm happy the sets will be more affordable for kids. 

If they're both real, they look good despite their size.

The TIE turned out alright, it’s a little out of proportion but for a buildable toy it works. Probably won’t be getting it unless it has some nice figures. It’ll probably just be a pilot and a stormtrooper but I can always dream about Moff Giddeon and a couple of Death Troopers.

I still think it would’ve been a much better idea to make the TIE a $20 set and have it be in the same scale as the TIE Advanced from the Death Star/Vader’s castle. 

Not sure if I'll get it or not but that TIE looks much better than the larger ones we've been getting for the past few years

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

It’ll probably just be a pilot and a stormtrooper but I can always dream about Moff Giddeon and a couple of Death Troopers.

A good-looking TIE, Gideon and some other Imperials for $40? Probably not gonna happen but count me in :excited:

This is obviously a regular TIE Fighter, so why should it include Gideon? :wacko: I wouldn‘t expect anything other than a pilot + one or two other imperials. Don‘t set yourselves up for disappointment :tongue:

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The TIE turned out alright, it’s a little out of proportion but for a buildable toy it works. Probably won’t be getting it unless it has some nice figures. It’ll probably just be a pilot and a stormtrooper but I can always dream about Moff Giddeon and a couple of Death Troopers.

I still think it would’ve been a much better idea to make the TIE a $20 set and have it be in the same scale as the TIE Advanced from the Death Star/Vader’s castle. 

That scale is too small and wouldn't even be worth the 20$. I think it works in context of exgremely large sets needing something small but not as a standalone thing (unless were talking about battlepacks).

This downscale version looks authentic, the wings look like the same build but much smaller and thw body looks more or less the same. I wish they would've made the top canopy the old one piece design over the new brick built design which looks blocky and ugly especially when opened up.

8 hours ago, wesker said:

Hopefully this leads to the rest of the Imperial TIE variants getting redone at this scale in the near future.

As a standalone set it's great, but for collectors who already own some of the previous TIE variants this would look shrunk. If the new TIE Fighter will be well received I hope they will release more TIEs at this scale, including the most iconic Vader's TIE Advance, TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber.

Think that looks pretty good, tbh. Yeah, it's not the right scale, but personally I'm looking forward to a TIE at a cheaper price that won't dwarf my Falcon, X-wing and other sets, height wise. 

49 minutes ago, storskogen said:

As a standalone set it's great, but for collectors who already own some of the previous TIE variants this would look shrunk. If the new TIE Fighter will be well received I hope they will release more TIEs at this scale, including the most iconic Vader's TIE Advance, TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber.

It'll be easier to tell with it in hand but I don't think it'll look too out of place next to the Rebels TIE Advanced. The wings seem to be the only massive difference size-wise compared to the older 2001 and 2005 models.

I do hope this means more variants of TIE, it seems the designers actually acted on what they said about the TIE bomber not being viable at their current scale and price point. At this scale I guess a bomber would be around $60 rather than the $120 we were guessing (much more reasonable!), and an interceptor would be around $40-$50. Hell you could even have a defender at around $60-$70.

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Not sure if I'll get it or not but that TIE looks much better than the larger ones we've been getting for the past few years

A good-looking TIE, Gideon and some other Imperials for $40? Probably not gonna happen but count me in :excited:

It's not a TIE outlander, so it will almost certainly not have gideon.

3 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It'll be easier to tell with it in hand but I don't think it'll look too out of place next to the Rebels TIE Advanced. The wings seem to be the only massive difference size-wise compared to the older 2001 and 2005 models.

I do hope this means more variants of TIE, it seems the designers actually acted on what they said about the TIE bomber not being viable at their current scale and price point. At this scale I guess a bomber would be around $60 rather than the $120 we were guessing (much more reasonable!), and an interceptor would be around $40-$50. Hell you could even have a defender at around $60-$70.

The problem is that with the TIE bomber, the biggest part is the cockpit, not the wings. Based on this build, I'm guessing they were unable to make the cockpit much smaller.

It looks to me like the Tie's wings will be the same ones used on the 4+ set, obviously with some more detail. 

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The problem is that with the TIE bomber, the biggest part is the cockpit, not the wings. Based on this build, I'm guessing they were unable to make the cockpit much smaller.

The new TIE Fighter's cockpit looks like its been scaled down to only 6 studs wide which is what the original TIE Bomber's was.

Surely they should be able to come up with something at that scale for a reasonable price. There's no reason for it to be as big as what the TIE Striker's cockpit was.

21 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

That scale is too small and wouldn't even be worth the 20$. I think it works in context of exgremely large sets needing something small but not as a standalone thing (unless were talking about battlepacks)

I fail to see how that would be too small. If it fits a minifigure in the cockpit it’s the perfect scale, remember that TIEs are small ships in universe.

The way I see it, LEGO is doing themselves a disservice by not putting out models like the mini TIE and the Slave I from bespin as individual sets. For $20 you could get an iconic ship, an iconic character to pilot it and an extra minifig or two to go along with it. On paper it’s the perfect Christmas present for a young Star Wars fan.

Edited by Brikkyy13

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I fail to see how that would be too small. If it fits a minifigure in the cockpit it’s the perfect scale, remember that TIEs are small ships in universe.

That logic doesn't make any sense. Just because you fit in a cardboard box doesnt make it "perfect scale". TIEs are not as small as you think they are.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:31 PM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

best example is the Snowspeeder. Or actually any speeder or smaller Walker. Here I understand a bit the details, building experience, features and stability, which they want for child-products.

But the sets dont speak to me. Look at any decent Snowspeeder MOC - they are smaller and dont have anything in common with the official ones.

Let's see how the X-Wing and Tie will turn out. Maybe they will be better than the 70-100 € ones :grin:

Sure, your wallet thinks so :pir_tong2:

But seriously, even small sets could be accurate...