kbalage

42077 Rally Car - with A & B model RC mod

I was really lucky to pick this set up early (and also another one :blush:). This is not a detailed review or analysis of the set, I will leave that to the others with more routine. I wanted to quickly share the build process and the main features, and some (hopefully nice) photos. First of all the video:

and some images:

PANA9635_EB_ret.jpg

PANA9636_EB_ret.jpg

PANA9653_EB_ret.jpg

PANA9645_EB_ret.jpg

PANA9647_EB_ret.jpg

PANA9659_EB_ret.jpg

PANA9669_EB_ret.jpg

You can read more on my blog and see additional images:

http://racingbrick.com/2017/12/lego-technic-42077-rally-car-speed-build-features

Now I need to get a little more sleep :) 

Edited by kbalage

Meh, this set just seems kind of empty and boring. Not wanting to go on a rant, but surely Lego realizes that form and function can exist in harmony in a Technic set? I don't even want a gearbox at this point, I just want something, anything different, like different suspension, or actual features beyond opening doors.

On the plus side, it has some nice recolors, and looks pretty good.

Function wise it is lackluster. But appearance wise this is what a race car should be. Took 7 years since that heinous 8070.

Not sure how people find this set good looking, I still think it's dead ugly (especially the rear half of the roof) and find the design sorely lacking finesse. It's as if they threw a few large panels in and then called it a day. Also it looks short and wide (and wider at the back), not sure if that's realistic for rally cars. I do like how it's not too large, and I still like the rollcage. It's also very light on functions. The best comparison I think is 42039, the other recent race car, which had all functions 42077 has, plus a mechanism for the doors, plus a mechanism for the rear hood, plus a switchbox, plus the ability to motorized it. It may not be much to other people, but I think that makes 42039 a lot more Technic than this. 42077 has the same functions as 42037, but more than twice the parts and they still didn't manage to make it look nice.

If you compare it to 8070, surely 8070 comes out much better. Better looking, much nicer wheel arches, less gaps, better flowing design, more coherent color scheme, more interesting angles, better proportions, much more functions. All that 42077 has counting for it is that shiny blue color, a nice rollcage and being a bit cheaper.

Parts-wise, it's good to see more variations of blue panels arrive, but I don't see what I can do with all those panels if I don't have connectors in the same color to to connect them with or to fill the holes.

5 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

less gaps

How you managed to find that 8070 has less gaps than 42077 is way beyond my comprehension ability.

5 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

more coherent color scheme

I think this applies to a scheme with two or more colors. The 8070 is on the other hand monotone, which looks dreadful to me.

7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

much nicer wheel arches

Bare bone flex axles dont feel like proper wheel arches to me though.

No objection with the function part. 42077 is abysmal function-wise. But I'd get the 42077. I used to own a 8070 but gave it away when I bought the Porsche came because the complete appearance of the Porsche made 8070 look heinous. I buy sets for their looks.

+1 with Erik.

I was doing the same comparison with 42039 that I consider to be a very meh model. And this one seems even worse.

Technically poor, and not so good looking. Hell, how is it possible to release a set with such wheel arches in 2018 ? T_T

@efferman - I didn't find any brand new pieces, I found the following ones in new colors:

black
Technic, Liftarm 5 x 7 Open Center Frame Thick

dark azure
Technic, Panel Fairing # 4 Small Smooth Long
Technic, Panel Fairing # 3 Small Smooth Long
Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 Pin Holes
Technic, Panel Curved 7 x 3 with 2 Pin Holes through Panel Surface
Technic, Panel Curved 11 x 3 with 2 Pin Holes through Panel Surface
Technic, Panel Curved 3 x 13
Technic, Panel Car Mudguard Arched 15 x 2 x 5

@degenerate - yep, the other one is the Mack :)

I think this set is not worse than any similar sized and priced Technic cars made by Lego, comparing e.g. to 8070 or 42077. No extra functions I agree but it's really nice as a play set, kids will dig it. About the proportions, imho it's still better then the Audi Quattro S1 :) I managed to find one weak point so far, the rear assembly with the curved DBG panel and the exhausts only connects to the body with two blue 3L pins, it gets detached easily - you can actually see it on my bottom view photo.

58 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I think this set is not worse than any similar sized and priced Technic cars made by Lego, comparing e.g. to 8070 or 42077. 

Thanks for the nice pictures you have made :thumbup:. But there is absolutely no way you can compare this with 8070, maybe except the pricing!

This set is consequently following the recent development of Technic, namely poor design, and cost efficient production achieved by color coding. Aimed to younger audience, no care about AFOL´s. The multicolored fruit salad looks disgusting. And what a ridiculous steering wheel and the area around it..

On the plus side: this set features some interesting parts, especially the black 7x5 frames. Hopefully there will be many butchers who will slaughter this beast and sell all the meat.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

I don't see what I can do with all those panels if I don't have connectors in the same color to to connect them with or to fill the holes.

Exactly, same for flex axles. I will keep my hands away from anything in the shades of blue.

Thanks for sharing!

Even though I share the opinion that it is poor in functions, I like the looks and the use of 15l axles.with pinholes as reinforcements. As for the wheel arch's, at least this model has some suspension travel. And for that you need spacy wheel wells. It's a rally car after all. Personally I prefer this over Mocs that claim to have suspension, but can't travel more than half a stud.

Edited by Didumos69

11 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Black 5×7 Frames?! :wub:

Yes, but 11x5 frames remain light bluish gray...at least in this set (and 42075 and...)

@kbalage thanks for review

Edited by I_Igor

I had low expectations for this set, but it looks better than I first thought. The colors work for me. The rear engine cover is pretty neat, as is the role cage. I might add this to my list depending on pricing. Thanks for the quick review @kbalage  

Thanks for those pictures, and confirmation on the colour, finally!

Despite already known that its light on function, i still keep being disappointed every time i take a close look, this set isnt any more functional then 42037, adding just opening doors for nearly twice the price... Ill probably end up modding the hell out of this set if i get it, but we are getting to the point where i wonder how much of the original car should remain, and whether im better off just buying parts and building a MOC

Hmm, it seems that only few parts (like 24119, #17, #18 panels) are missing to built Dark Azure Porsche?

Edited by M_longer

19 minutes ago, M_longer said:

Hmm, it seems that only few parts (like 24119, #17, #18 panels) are missing to built Dark Azure Porsche?

Ha.  I wish we now had enough a lot of dark azure but unfortunately we don't.  Some pieces that come to mind, 2L lift arm, 2L joiner (axle or pin), any flex axle, pin n axle perpendicular.

If this set was medium blue there was enough medium blue to make something.  Now we don't have enough of dark azure or medium blue.  Hopefully 2H brings some more pieces.

The planned iconic car with @Lox Lego is shelved for now.

Just now, technic_addict said:

Ha.  I wish we now had enough a lot of dark azure but unfortunately we don't.  Some pieces that come to mind, 2L lift arm, 2L joiner (axle or pin), any flex axle, pin n axle perpendicular.

If this set was medium blue there was enough medium blue to make something.  Now we don't have enough of dark azure or medium blue.  Hopefully 2H brings some more pieces.

The planned iconic car with @Lox Lego is shelved for now.

Perhaps needed parts will show up in other themes or 2H, so general parts discussion is topic to look at :wink: