Spielwarenmesse is about business. Wholesales, distribution, production, etc. It is not about introducing products to public. Deal with it. (I am industrial designer working in toy industry)

15 minutes ago, J_C said:

Spielwarenmesse is about business. Wholesales, distribution, production, etc. It is not about introducing products to public. Deal with it. (I am industrial designer working in toy industry)

Wouldn't it make sense to allow your possible clients to take pictures to review? Or are they expected to make decisions on the spot?

I understood. But still, why can't TLG let the well known Lego-related sites to informate us properly?

2 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Wouldn't it make sense to allow your possible clients to take pictures to review? Or are they expected to make decisions on the spot?

if you are (lets say) purchase manager of big retail chain, be sure, you will have all the info you need, even pictures if needed. but nobody needs to be allowed to take snapshots with their iphone for that purpose. It is nothing weird, there are many other trade-fairs that have nothing to do with toys and same policy about pictures, cameras etc. It is common. And mostly it is respected. 

I am willing to bet pretty much anything that almost nothing will in effect change. The pictures will be lower resolution than we are used to and may come through different channels than we are used to but I have no doubt in my mind the pictures will still get leaked. There is enough people looking for their few minutes of internet glory that someone is bound to find a way to take a picture and post it somewhere.

And as has been mentioned above, if this is an attempt to stop copycat brands, it will be largely ineffective as well. Even if by some miracle the big brands don't have insider info from the factories, they work fast enough that you are at couple of weeks delay at most. Besides, the biggest market for these copycat brands is in Asian countries (not Westerners shopping online) and it matters even less there. Best advice I would give in this fight is to start producing parts requiring more precise measurements - copycats famously struggle with tolerance and end up being not enough/too tight.

1 hour ago, J_C said:

Understand, but than why they invite press in any form?

1 hour ago, J_C said:

if you are (lets say) purchase manager of big retail chain, be sure, you will have all the info you need, even pictures if needed. but nobody needs to be allowed to take snapshots with their iphone for that purpose. It is nothing weird, there are many other trade-fairs that have nothing to do with toys and same policy about pictures, cameras etc. It is common. And mostly it is respected. 

Preliminary catalogs serve the same purpose, and they are not intended to appear at any kind of media. Still, all the leaks are out there. My question is than: really the press (media) is the evil to be hunted? 

Yes, it is like You wrote in theory, in reality we have human beings everywhere. There is still no logic in this move from TLG. If they really want to keep this informations intern, than no press at all, and only trusted, filtered resellers can enter. Something is not straight here: the news or the strategy.

Can be that they base the marketing strategy on anticipation of excitement triggered by the secrecy, but I don't see how would that change the wallet and attitude of any copycat buyer.

Edited by agrof

4 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

Posted in the train forum (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/155770-2018-lego-trains/&page=12)

Sorry to upset you, but according to different german blog´s, TLC has changed the rules. This year there will be no photos allowed at TLC´s display at Nürnberg Toy fair. Also there will be only invited press-members allowed and it is strictly forbidden to take pictures or report in any way (also not in words!!!!!) about anything.

Press release of german Blog "zusammengebaut" about Nürnberg toy fair

Well then we'll have to be more patient...anyway we'll find out soon enough because we have engenius members here who solve misteries (dealing with new LEGO solutions and parts) so last several years there are not such surprizes :wink:

Anyway thanks for info :thumbup:

(It looks like good old Murphy did it again)

11 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

(It looks like good old Murphy did it again)

No, no, no, no,no. No!

1 hour ago, agrof said:

Understand, but than why they invite press in any form?

Preliminary catalogs serve the same purpose, and they are not intended to appear at any kind of media. Still, all the leaks are out there. My question is than: really the press (media) is the evil to be hunted? 

Yes, it is like You wrote in theory, in reality we have human beings everywhere. There is still no logic in this move from TLG. If they really want to keep this informations intern, than no press at all, and only trusted, filtered resellers can enter. Something is not straight here: the news or the strategy.

Can be that they base the marketing strategy on anticipation of excitement triggered by the secrecy, but I don't see how would that change the wallet and attitude of any copycat buyer.

it just courtesy and decency thing. simple as that. there is going to be "please do not take pictures" policy, so I will not. simple as that. and 99,9% will do the same. but as you said, we are humans, there will be 0,1% who will and internet will do the rest.  

Oh lord I really hope they won’t have that ridiculous “don’t show the functions in action” policy that they had last year.

This may only be for the German toy fair, we have had picture bans from there before so had to wait for New York toy fair. I think I remember that being the case when waiting for pictures of the Arocs.

41 minutes ago, Boulderer said:

I don’t understand what’s so wrong with waiting for the sets to be released. 

Nothing, we're just eager to see what they'll be.

Releasing prelims and teasers early on helps amp people up about the sets, but it can also raise the expectations too high and then people will be disappointed when the sets doesn't live up to their expectations.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

This may only be for the German toy fair, we have had picture bans from there before so had to wait for New York toy fair. I think I remember that being the case when waiting for pictures of the Arocs.

Yes with Arocs it was the same thing...but I bought it Anyway so it was worth waiting (best trchnic truck with super steering for it's weight)

Agree, nothing wrong with waiting. I remember, no picture policy is not a new thing at Nürnberg Toy Fair - totally understandable.

Where I am missing the point, that they invite press, but also prohibit them to do their job in any form - no word policy is new to me. Press is always part of the marketing, they do add value for the companies, so if this value is undesired in the future, why are they invited at all?

This is a double edged weapon: I can easily see, that this decision not makes journalists to feel honored, but frustrated, because they are actually restricted to do their job (and passion) for living. I know, I would. :hmpf_bad:

I will not go further into this, as we will not getting an answer for sure.

Edited by agrof

Given that Arocs has now been retired, any chance that 42083 could be the Mercedes-AMG GT R:

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/vehicles/gt/coupe/gt-r.html

It was released last year, It has a dual turbo V8 and a 7 speed gear box. It also has 4 wheel steering which would be interesting in a Technic super car. It has adjustable active suspension, and variable under body aerodynamics.

It also comes in green. :)

1 hour ago, ShowsOn said:

Given that Arocs has now been retired, any chance that 42083 could be the Mercedes-AMG GT R:..... V8 and a 7 speed gear box. It also has 4 wheel steering which would be interesting in a Technic super car....

We did had it already, V8, 4gear box, AWD and 4 wheel steering = 8880 :) :) :) 

Some of the 2018 lineup is featured on the Technic site, and there's videos. Samuel Tacchi designed the two pullbacks (although the link to that video is supposed to be for the dozer compactor), and Grohl did indeed work on the Mack. Andrew Woodman appears in the rally car video, meaning that Uwe again fails to appear.

1 hour ago, Ivan_M said:

Volvo cars and Volvo CE are different companies

I know, that is why I have post "Volvo cars". :wink:

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Some of the 2018 lineup is featured on the Technic site, and there's videos. Samuel Tacchi designed the two pullbacks (although the link to that video is supposed to be for the dozer compactor), and Grohl did indeed work on the Mack. Andrew Woodman appears in the rally car video, meaning that Uwe again fails to appear.

But U.Wabra is on rally car - look at instructions...

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

...or could be this

http://www.lotuscars.com/evora-sport-410

It belongs to same group as Volvo cars...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geely

Lets not get into baseless speculation again, Lego has licensing ties with Ferrari (which might extend to Fiat, Alfa and Maserati), Ford, GM (with at least chevrolet and corvette included), VAG (VW, Audi, Porsche, Bugatti and Lambo have models, Skoda, Seat, Bentley, Ducati might be included), BMW (which could include Rolls Royce), Mercedes, Renault (no released product, but Ltd sets) and McLaren, and im not even sure that is all of them

Even if we knew 100% sure 42083 is a "supercar" from an existing license, and we are assuming only models currently in production, that probably gives at least 50 options