2 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Looking very sturdy indeed and as always it looks soo much better made with actual Lego.  How are you liking your design coming from the ldd,  are you pleased with the results?  

Yes I'm very pleased with the result. It looks better than I expected. And it's an absolute thrill to put together! One thing I need to improve: the doors. Trunk door is working fine,  but side doors are not mounted firm enough.

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

Do you have a picture with the Porsche wheels attached?

Yep!

3 hours ago, Dafgek81 said:

Looks very good so far. It sure looks like it can take a beating.

That was my objective and it worked out quite well :classic:.

1 hour ago, brickhank said:

Looks good !

Thanks!

Two things I need to fix: The doors are not mounted firm enough and the hood touches the wheels in turns when the suspension is compressed :sceptic:. But I'm completely happy with the looks :classic::classic::classic:.

960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg

It looks really well!

6 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Two things I need to fix: The doors are not mounted firm enough and the hood touches the wheels in turns when the suspension is compressed :sceptic:

Looking at the render right now it seems like the model had a slightly higher clearance (by 1 stud?).

58 minutes ago, zux said:

It looks really well!

Looking at the render right now it seems like the model had a slightly higher clearance (by 1 stud?).

Thanks! The real model sits slightly lower because the suspension is compressed a little due to the vehicles own weight. But the clearance is still about 2 studs and the travel about the same.

800x450.jpg

Here's a short preview video (I just noticed I still have one panel missing in the right door :wink:).

Edited by Didumos69

Looks good but it feels like something is missing, I can't place if but maybe it would look better with a 5x11 panel on the hood, or the fenders are too open, how would it look if you put some flex axles over the wheels or some red tubing to act like fenders.

Also how do you change the topic title? do you have a MOD do it or do you do it yourself?

Looking good, but I agree with JJ2, something feels off...

The black chairs blend in with the black roll-cage, maybe other color seats can make the exterior pop more?
Also I am not sure about the red doors... You have a very nice flow of red from front to back through the chassis and those red doors detract from that I think.

That suspension is divine:wub:

2 hours ago, JJ2 said:

Looks good but it feels like something is missing, I can't place if but maybe it would look better with a 5x11 panel on the hood, or the fenders are too open, how would it look if you put some flex axles over the wheels or some red tubing to act like fenders.

Also how do you change the topic title? do you have a MOD do it or do you do it yourself?

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Looking good, but I agree with JJ2, something feels off...

The black chairs blend in with the black roll-cage, maybe other color seats can make the exterior pop more?
Also I am not sure about the red doors... You have a very nice flow of red from front to back through the chassis and those red doors detract from that I think.

That suspension is divine:wub:

I know this is a bit of an offbeat bread:wink:. I wanted to catch the essential lines only and have deliberately left in big gaps. I'm not going to add flex axles, for they are far to flexy and loose for this model. This build can actually roll over without anything getting displaced.

Different color seats is worth trying. I don't know about the doors. This way the black cabin makes an inclined plane all the way from the bottom of the front wind screen along the black top line of the doors to the rear window.

@JJ2, I can change the title when I edit the OP.

Edited by Didumos69

We are soon at the end of the journey, great to see the whole process, thanks for sharing it!

Fenders are really unnecessary here, I believe I don't miss Didumos's thinking: this is one basestone of the design. I admit it might be unconvinient for conservative eyes - just consider it as a concept car. :wink:

Spoiler

fenders_are_for_pussies_by_hotrodjen.jpg :tongue:

The doors are good in red in my opinion, I like how You have a red "tub" and a clearly distuingished black roof, and all combined with sleek lines.

@Didumos69 Could You replace the windshield axles with normal 6M ones, or is the gap tighter than half bush? You will for sure find a solution for the front wheel rub, waiting for the final photos and video.

Edited by agrof

21 minutes ago, agrof said:

... - just consider it as a concept car. :wink:

Reveal hidden contents

fenders_are_for_pussies_by_hotrodjen.jpg :tongue:

@Didumos69 Could You replace the windshield axles with normal 6M ones, or is the gap tighter than half bush? You will for sure find a solution for the front wheel rub, waiting for the final photos and video.

You're welcome @agrof. I'm happy you understand my line of thinking for this build. Concept car is indeed the right term. The 5.5 axles along the sides of the wind screen are an exact fit, 6l axles don't fit. The roof is quite inflexible :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Looks great! I agree with Jeroen on the seats though. I would love to see tan, blue or maybe even white seats! Overall really fresh supercar.

Looks very good already :thumbup:! Nice to see the rollover mechanism working, not covered by the bodywork.

I agree with the black seats too, they would look great on the chassis without bodywork, giving contrast to the LBG/DBG frame. Á propos contrast - your pictures need a bit more of that to match the brightness of those colorful renders :wink:.

The rear wing is a off to me, It's too flat, I think something that bends over the rear body would look much better. Also the Porsche wheels are a bit too huge in my opinion, I would try it with 8070 wheels too.

14 hours ago, drakmin said:

Looks great! I agree with Jeroen on the seats though. I would love to see tan, blue or maybe even white seats! Overall really fresh supercar.

4 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Looks very good already :thumbup:! Nice to see the rollover mechanism working, not covered by the bodywork.

I agree with the black seats too, they would look great on the chassis without bodywork, giving contrast to the LBG/DBG frame. Á propos contrast - your pictures need a bit more of that to match the brightness of those colorful renders :wink:.

3 hours ago, Lipko said:

The rear wing is a off to me, It's too flat, I think something that bends over the rear body would look much better. Also the Porsche wheels are a bit too huge in my opinion, I would try it with 8070 wheels too.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will try with a different color for the seats. My fear is that it will disturb the whole appearance - I kind of like the two color scheme - but I will give it a try.

I agree that the rear wing could be done better. I've already been thinking to make it more like 8880. I will give that a go too.

@brunojj1, yeah, the pictures are not good. I couldn't wait with posting some pictures, so I made them without daylight. When all is finished I will make some good pictures.

Edited by Didumos69

2 hours ago, Lipko said:

Also the Porsche wheels are a bit too huge in my opinion, I would try it with 8070 wheels too.

The wheels are indeed big, but when compared to this car - that served as a reference for the proportions - they are actually too small. Anyway, my suspension relies on the Porsche rims, so the 8070 wheels are not an option.

A25Q4339.jpg

This morning I also geared down the steering. It is now geared down by 12/20 twice, it was only geared down by 12/20 once. This was necessary because of the extra weight of the body.

Here is the LXF-file (with placeholders) representing the current real-life build.

Edited by Didumos69

15 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I know this is a bit of an offbeat bread:wink:. I wanted to catch the essential lines only and have deliberately left in big gaps. I'm not going to add flex axles, for they are far to flexy and loose for this model. This build can actually roll over without anything getting displaced.

Different color seats is worth trying. I don't know about the doors. This way the black cabin makes an inclined plane all the way from the bottom of the front wind screen along the black top line of the doors to the rear window.

@JJ2, I can change the title when I edit the OP.

I agree about not using flex axles, but I think adding some panels to act as fenders could work (in the front possibly exchanging the small 11947 panel with a bigger panel, would be sufficient ?). I don't mean to completely cover the wheels in fenders, but only a panel (wing shape) partly covering the top of the wheels could add something in my opinion. But of course it's a matter of taste. I like the relatively big wheels in this concept though.

I like how this turned out, I agree about the rear spoiler being a little flat and the interior needing a diff colour to make it pop.

One thing I wonder though, since the whole look of this vehicle reminds me of a modern 8865, was that model in the back of your mind while building this? Especially the hood, general lines of the car and the lack of fenders (which I like) scream 8865 to me. If the 8865 was indeed an inspiration, I'd defintely suggest blue seats :classic:

White would be cool too though.

4 hours ago, brickhank said:

I agree about not using flex axles, but I think adding some panels to act as fenders could work (in the front possibly exchanging the small 11947 panel with a bigger panel, would be sufficient ?). I don't mean to completely cover the wheels in fenders, but only a panel (wing shape) partly covering the top of the wheels could add something in my opinion. But of course it's a matter of taste. I like the relatively big wheels in this concept though.

Thanks for thinking with me. The point is that the heart of this model lies in the sequential gearbox and in the suspension setups with 2 stud travel. I decided to not make any compromises with regard to those features. Fenders - especially in the front - would either limit the suspension travel or rise far above the hood. Bigger panels are 2 studs thick and would certainly cause problems. I even plan to move the small panels 1 stud inwards as they already collide with the wheels when compressing the suspension while steering.

4 hours ago, Appie said:

I like how this turned out, I agree about the rear spoiler being a little flat and the interior needing a diff colour to make it pop.

One thing I wonder though, since the whole look of this vehicle reminds me of a modern 8865, was that model in the back of your mind while building this? Especially the hood, general lines of the car and the lack of fenders (which I like) scream 8865 to me. If the 8865 was indeed an inspiration, I'd defintely suggest blue seats :classic:

White would be cool too though.

Thanks! I did not look at 8865, but I do see the resemblance. It's funny, because with a black-yellow color scheme there is as much resemblance with 8880, which was in the back of my head, albeit unconsciously. Like 8865 and 8880 I did try to make a body from mostly beams. So perhaps that's also why there is so much similarity. But in my case I could make use of bend liftarms (I like to see my build as an ode to the bend liftarm).

I will make some renders with blue and white seats and see how that works out.

Fast%20animal%20-%20duo%20III.lxf.png

Edited by Didumos69

This is a great car. Well done. I love the open wheel look and the lines. I want this on my shelf with my Crowkiller and Lipko models. 

Didumos, great to see it finished. I like mechanical part a lot. And i like all these straight/curved Pythagorean lines of the bodywork. For me it looks a bit hollow, but i think 8880 is much more "hollower", if it's comparable. Great MOC, i will build this if have an opportunity and parts)

On 5-2-2017 at 6:08 AM, Kronos123 said:

I want this on my shelf with my Crowkiller and Lipko models. 

I regard that as a big complement! Thanks! I plan to offer instructions, but that will take a while.

On 5-2-2017 at 7:21 AM, Victor Imaginator said:

Didumos, great to see it finished. I like mechanical part a lot. And i like all these straight/curved Pythagorean lines of the bodywork. For me it looks a bit hollow, but i think 8880 is much more "hollower", if it's comparable. Great MOC, i will build this if have an opportunity and parts)

Thanks @Victor Imaginator! If you need an old diff (24t/16t), send me a PM and I send you one :wink:. I have quite a few.

Update: I reworked the hood to make enough space for the front wheels. I also tweaked the suspension. Turned out that pairing soft and hard spring for the front suspension is too weak. So I had to revert to double hard springs for the front suspension, just like for the rear suspension. All works fine without using the axles holding the upper wishbones as torsion bars. However, to get a subtle rake angle I did reintroduce the use of torsion bars for the rear suspension, but this can be skipped when people are a afraid of damaging the axles.

Todo: Improve the way the doors are mounted, restyle the rear wing and recolor the seats.

Here are a few images taken with daylight. I personally like the fact that all mechanisms can be observed through the gaps in the body. You can for instance see the front and rear diffs,

960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Awesome. I like how this turned out. It has a cool dune buggy racer vibe going on. Sad to hear that the suspension didn't work without the torsion bars. It's not so much the axle that I was concerned with as much as the parts that the axle is inserted into possibly cracking over time.

Edited by Meatman