8 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yes we have :wub:

I just received confirmation that the sets have been sent out for review :thumbup:

that is great news. I am looking forward to it. Are you doing all the (Technic) reviews?

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

"Oh no, color, now my highly engineered building toy is a baby toy for babies."

I mean, I get that "color vomit" can be an issue for some people, but if a few differently colored gears are all that separate Technic and Duplo to you then maybe Lego isn't the problem.

well put. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by J_C

Just now, J_C said:

that is great news. I am looking forward to it. Are you doing all the (Technic) reviews?

Yes sir!

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yes we have :wub:

I just received confirmation that the sets have been sent out for review :thumbup:

Yes! I am awaiting the reviews, I always read the reviews you make, because they are so good. And maybe check @Sariel's reviews for different opinions.

Thanks! Always nice to hear.

I do need to think about the sequence of releasing the reviews. It will be quite some work.

Just now, Jim said:

Yes sir!

Thank you, captain! That means I am looking forward to it even more.

1 hour ago, Jim said:
1 hour ago, J_C said:

Are you doing all the (Technic) reviews?

Yes sir!

That's nice to hear, your reviews are really high quality. Speaking of high quality reviews: Is there any word whether sariel will get them too?

7 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

That's nice to hear, your reviews are really high quality. Speaking of high quality reviews: Is there any word whether sariel will get them too?

I'm pretty sure he will receive them as well.

8 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

So Jim is back to the review scene after a year of abstinence? All hail Mighty Lord! 

LoL. Technically only half a year...but it sure feels like longer :tongue:

I almost forgot that there would be reviews, but of course there will be. Looking forward to them! As for order, I'd say, just do it in the same order that Lego chose, so 42068, 42069, 42070. That would make the most sense to me. That way we get the best for last (I mean, "the best" as Lego considers it). Looking forward to all reviews, both Jim's, Sariel's, and those on techlug.fr (those are always very thorough), but I'm the most curious to 42069. I'm sure that we don't know everything about that model yet, it seems packed with nice details and moving parts. I hope the A model for 42070 will still have some surprises for us as well, but that one has been scrutinized a lot more, also by dokludi and his (?) reverse engineered build.

Edited by Erik Leppen

4 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

@Jim The lastest Technic reviews you did were at this time of last year are they not :tongue:

You are absolutely right. I wasn't thinking clearly.

At last, I've been looking forward to the reviews for ages! I can't wait to read them, and to see how the sets have actually turned out! 

On 08/07/2017 at 1:23 PM, Jim said:

I do need to think about the sequence of releasing the reviews. It will be quite some work.

Need a hand?

H

On 2017-7-8 at 1:35 AM, Lyichir said:

"Oh no, color, now my highly engineered building toy is a baby toy for babies."

I mean, I get that "color vomit" can be an issue for some people, but if a few differently colored gears are all that separate Technic and Duplo to you then maybe Lego isn't the problem.

I dont care about the gears, but the constant changes in body colours used really irks me, i find myself with several bunches of panels in a colour i cant even use, since all i have is two or three types of panel in that colour

And honestly, lego's obsession with blue/azure is annoying me to no end, and it does give 42070 a very "$10 cheap plastic toy truck" look

The Azure worked really well on the Maersk Triple E, but only because that's the exact colour of the top half of the hull. On Lego original sets, it just depends on the shape of the model. Like some cars look good in white and others don't. I get that some fans will be annoyed that they will end up with loads of different coloured pieces, especially when they're building a MOC. That being said, Lego do have to appeal to a younger audience to get them into the technic range (as some are appropriate for younger builders). 

Just now, Globemaster8 said:

I get that some fans will be annoyed that they will end up with loads of different coloured pieces,

Yep, I'm one of them. :wink: That's the reason why so far (at least until I see reviews or hold them in my hands) the only 2H set I'm looking forward to is the 42068.

Just now, Globemaster8 said:

That being said, Lego do have to appeal to a younger audience to get them into the technic range (as some are appropriate for younger builders). 

Although that's generally true, that can't be applied to behemoths like the 42066, the 42069 or the 42070 (all with hard-to-MOC colours), which are recommended for older "kids".

I'll say it again:

I don't get the 'let's make parts in a whole bunch of blues' approach. This sort of overproduction bloated the company inventory in the late 90s and early 00s, what with the unique green parts in 8446, the bewildering list of one-offs in 8307 and the metallic green in the 2001 sets. Pick a blue and stick with it, LEGO!

Seriously.

I am wondering if there is a whole demographic excluded with sets such as 42069.  I mean, it is not like TLG has not released a snow/arctic themed set before (Arctic Explorer) but for those of us that live nowhere near snow so can sets such as 42069 loose some interest among some fans?   I am well beyond my years of getting on my snow pants, grabbing my toy and going out and paying with it in the snow, but for younger fans not offered this possibility (b/c of no snow) is this irksome?  Also, though I may not get down on the ground to "play" with any on model, one of my favorite things to do is RC-power Lego Technic models that don't originally have that as an option..... but if I do that for this set I will not have anywhere to drive it.  Kind of a bummer for people like me (especially b/c 42069 is the only set I find worthy of its price tag) who can't take it outside to drive in the snow....... 

25 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I am wondering if there is a whole demographic excluded with sets such as 42069.  I mean, it is not like TLG has not released a snow/arctic themed set before (Arctic Explorer) but for those of us that live nowhere near snow so can sets such as 42069 loose some interest among some fans?   I am well beyond my years of getting on my snow pants, grabbing my toy and going out and paying with it in the snow, but for younger fans not offered this possibility (b/c of no snow) is this irksome?  Also, though I may not get down on the ground to "play" with any on model, one of my favorite things to do is RC-power Lego Technic models that don't originally have that as an option..... but if I do that for this set I will not have anywhere to drive it.  Kind of a bummer for people like me (especially b/c 42069 is the only set I find worthy of its price tag) who can't take it outside to drive in the snow....... 

I think it just depends on the set itself rather than where you live. It doesn't really snow where I live, yet I got 42038 because I think it looks good (the B-model especially), and I've built some snow groomers as well (42031-B and 9391-C) because they're also impressive vehicles.

I think 42069 will appeal to people based on its features and build rather than their environment. I don't think anyone's been excluded. Plus, tracks can be used on other surfaces as well.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'll say it again:

I don't get the 'let's make parts in a whole bunch of blues' approach. [...] Pick a blue and stick with it, LEGO!

Couldn't agree more. I was so psyched when 42042 came out - aside from being a great set, it looked as if it might herald in a series of sets packed with lots of parts in that nice blue colour. Instead they mostly nixed it and replaced it with fifty shades of b(l)oo.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'll say it again:

I don't get the 'let's make parts in a whole bunch of blues' approach. This sort of overproduction bloated the company inventory in the late 90s and early 00s, what with the unique green parts in 8446, the bewildering list of one-offs in 8307 and the metallic green in the 2001 sets. Pick a blue and stick with it, LEGO!

Seriously.

My understanding (From the Channel 4 (UK TV) documentary) is that unlike in the past when TLG would buy in the raw material already coloured, nowadays the colour is mixed as part of the injection moulding process, thereby keeping inventory to a minimum.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, Jim said:

Say, do you get the Lego kits early like Sariel to review?