Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - CH2A] Shields and Daggers

Ahoy, mateys!

This is my entry for Challenge II A.

Shields and Daggers

The race for New Terra is heating up.

More and more land is being claimed every day. Fortune seekers from everywhere are heading out looking for riches, and settlers follow.

But most newly established settlements are very short lived, perrishing as quickly as they were set up, either due to a lack of supplies – or defensive capacity. Everyone knows the terrifying stories of the very first settlement attempts of the Mardians and Eslandolans, everyone knows the consequences of neglected protection.

New Terra isn't quite the paradise it looks like.

So in his infinite wisdom His Majesty the King of Oleon has decided that all colonizing efforts undertaken by the loyal subjects of the realm will be determined, but cautious ones: The claim we lay to the land will stretch no further than the reach of our swords.

So as we claim the Île de Zeus for our glorious Empire, His Majesty has dispatched additional King's Guards to the island. Their task is not only to crew the forts that are being set up along with new settlements, but also to establish a multitude of smaller gun batteries along the shores, shielding the Île in all directions. These defensive positions surely aren't enough to repel a fully-flegded invasion, but they are certainly capable of dealing with smugglers, pirates and other predators. And when push really comes to shove, 'La Royale' will always fly Oleon's colors on the waves. Small patrol boats might not be seen as mighty swords, but handled with determination and skill, a dagger can do serious damage, too.

25461144684_c0f83d1b7b_c.jpg

25793066690_31fd7998fa_c.jpg

25793064030_d301159233_c.jpg

25463316553_68502b0f79_c.jpg

26039970366_4b8520ef61_c.jpg

about:

As always, everything except for the vessel's sails can be build. The water is a delicate matter, consisting of many rows of 1x2 plates linked by 1x1 round plates wherever possible.

This is my first ever attempt at rockwork, and it only caused me to despair and curse a high two digit number of times... Not sure if it's to the liking of the experts among you. Sorry for the back of that cliff looking so dull, but all I managed to come up with in order to 'close' it were slopes.

Oh, and the boat's curvature is done with hinge bricks, all held in place by a multitude of flex tubes and clips, most of them well hidden below the deck.

I hope you enjoy,

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

The water is excellent! I mean, I don't want to do it in real life (and I don't want to buy so many tiles and plates just for that) but the result is astounding!

Why don't you try a similar, but vertical approach for your rocks?

:thumbup:

Everything from the shore to the ship is excellent. But the water must be one of the best attempts i have ever seen!! Now who is the daring "young" lad that is going to try such thing as build it with real bricks???

This is probably one of my favourite entries so far. Expecially the water is just brilliant!

I think the cliffside with its great vegetation turned out really nice(I too struggle with rockwork...) and I think it looks very interesting. Especially the palms protruding from the side.

The custom built field gun is looking great too, and should Oleon and Corrington ever declare war, those little outposts will be great target practice for our fleet! pirate_laugh2.gif

I really like that little patrol sloop too - the hull shape is beautiful, and the rigging works very well.

Brilliant water, nice coast line, amazing little ship, well done on the fortification, and did I already say one of the best waters ever?

Great job overall!

Excellent ship and nice landscaping as well! That water must have taken ages to render?

The water is incredible!

I really like the untouched look of the beach, like nobody has ruined the surface of sand by walking on it yet. All the details add up to a great scene!

That's an excellent application for that technique in the water! I've always seen it used for sandbags oe circular walls.

Everything else is very nice as well.

I'm in awe of that water. Incredible! I really like the ship, too. The rockwork is different than most, but I consider that a plus. I like how it turned out. Really great entry all around!

Thanks all of you guys for your input and suggestions, glad you like it :pir-classic:

Why don't you try a similar, but vertical approach for your rocks?

Using slopes I could maintain the (almost) rectangular shape of the base. Maybe I'll do a revamp for test purposes :thumbup:

Now who is the daring "young" lad that is going to try such thing as build it with real bricks???

Count me out for two reasons :grin:

The custom built field gun is looking great too, and should Oleon and Corrington ever declare war, those little outposts will be great target practice for our fleet! :pir-grin:

Ever the warmonger :tongue:

That water must have taken ages to render?

Actually... no. At least not in Bluerender - less than 10 minutes. But I have one pic of the first scene rendered in pov-ray... and it took almost 20 hours :ugh:

I really like the untouched look of the beach, like nobody has ruined the surface of sand by walking on it yet.

Haha, please tell that to potential invading parties! 'Don't touch our beaches! They are too pretty to walk on!!' I'm sure they'll understand :laugh:

That water is beautiful! The white flowers are really nice too. The ship is great as well, excellent work! :thumbup:

An excellent entry. The water is simply beyond words. It has to be among the best Lego-built water I have ever seen.

Of course the rest of the build is fantastic as well. The boat is sleek and looks like a perfect little craft for patrolling Oleon's dominion. And the beach and vegetation is excellent as well. I love the transition from sand to plants and ultimately trees.

The rockwork caused you to curse? I would have guessed the water would have proven more difficult.

That water is beautiful! The white flowers are really nice too. The ship is great as well, excellent work! thumbup.gif

Thanks, Kai :pir-blush: The flowers first were all green, but then I thought, what the heck, let's have pretty beaches!

The rockwork caused you to curse? I would have guessed the water would have proven more difficult.

Thanks, CG. Well, the water was annoying to build, but at least I knew the ways in which it would likely annoy me - which it did :pir-grin:

'Shore business' on the other hand is still sort of new territory (lame pun totally intended) to me, so I felt pretty retarded at first, not being able to make bricks look rock-ish. And since things are never my fault, I had - of curse course - to yell at (digital) bricks :innocent:

This is simply beautiful! One of my favourite entries so far! The water is incredible, and I like the island, especially the way you have the palm tree on an angle. I experimented with this technique last night on seeing your entry, but the weight of the leaves meant the tree kept falling off the base.

The ship is also one of my favourites! She is just so clean, and the colours work brilliantly. Over all great work and fantastic entry!

:pir-wub: Superb water, KB! The landscaping, vegetation, ship - that is especially lovely as well! pirate_satisfied.gif - and fortifications are excellent too, but that water... wub_drool.gif

It's an amazing creation KB - you definetely are the only LDD creator I really like. Not sure though anyone else cought the shields and dagger connotation pirate_tong.gif

I experimented with this technique last night on seeing your entry, but the weight of the leaves meant the tree kept falling off the base.

Haha, try yelling at it! Sure helped me. Hmm... I've seen it done in MOCs already, but if this way doesn't work for you, there's always other methods to get an angle.

pirate_wubnew.gif Superb water, KB! that water... :wub_drool:

Thanks, Garmadon, much appreciated. But honestly, I'm still kind of surprised the water generated so much attention :pir-classic:

It's an amazing creation KB - you definetely are the only LDD creator I really like.

Wow, thank you, kabel, that means a lot :pir-blush:

Altough you git a nice ship, I really like the land-based part!

I agree with kabel

Fantastic creation KB! :wub:

The vessel is lovely, the water is just extraordinary, and the fortifications turned out really nice as well. The vegetation on the beach and the multitude of palm trees add a lot of life to the scene. This definitely has the Caribbean look to it. Good work. :classic: