Jim

[MT] Technic Model Team Contest - Information Topic

Digital Entries  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Allow digital entries for this competition only?

OMG guys, you are complicating way too much IMO... There's a size limit, deal with it, just make the model smaller than...

Yes but why can you not make the stand part of the model?

It's not the stand I care about, it's placing the plane vertically to bypass the dimension limit.

Next thing you know; people are making tractors and trailer and mounting them on a stand, so they will be 46x16x150 high :tongue:

It's not the stand I care about, it's placing the plane vertically to bypass the dimension limit.

Next thing you know; people are making tractors and trailer and mounting them on a stand, so they will be 46x16x150 high :tongue:

LOL one of these tower crane!!!!! 16X45X4000 ahahahahhahah :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

JIM what about Linear actuator???

Edited by TheItalianBrick

JIM what about Linear actuator???

What about it?! :tongue:

You can use any modern or oldskool part (in production or out of production), as long as it's an official LEGO part.

I get that,but it is the actual model you would count (dimensions) not the overall size when placed on stand.

Great idea to do the often overlooked Model Team theme the honour it deserves!

I have an idea, but I have lots of those, in other themes as well. So for now I can't promise I'll join. Looking forward to the entries though!

Like doors and windows ect.

Then build a vehicle that doesn't need those. :classic: My Tyrrell lacked doors and windows, as well as the idea I have in mind. Some official Model Team sets lack them.

In my opinion setting a fixed size limits creativity. Part count or even model weight are a better metric.

About the plane... folding wings. A technic function.

wingfold1.jpg

86170019.eq5lx8o2.jpg

Man i'm gonna be terrible in this competition. I have very few studded bricks and model team style parts (chrome, windows, hinges, accessories) etc.

Man i'm gonna be terrible in this competition. I have very few studded bricks and model team style parts (chrome, windows, hinges, accessories) etc.

Welcome to the club :blush:

Does it have to be made from scratch, or can it be a heavily modified version of an existing Model Team vehicle?

Can I join too? :tongue:

yeah... me too... I may have a go with a [MTD] tag (this is a good way round the digital issue :thumbup: )

(chrome, windows, hinges, accessories) etc.

Hmm. Windows... For now I have taken the Technic approach to windows - just outline the posts/edges, and leave the rest open. I don't think I could do a closed cabin better than an open one.

What about it?! :tongue:

You can use any modern or oldskool part (in production or out of production), as long as it's an official LEGO part.

I vote no LAs, no pneumatics, no functionality other than what has been done in official model team sets which is very simple rack and pinion steering, manually opening doors/hatches/skylights/hoods (no mechanisms attached), manually moveable propellers (no gearing of any kind) and a ball and socket pivot for a trailer. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single other function that exists in a model team set. You can use any part you want as long as it's not used to make a mechanism or function that extends beyond that. Use an LA only for decoration (must not move).

I vote no LAs, no pneumatics, no functionality other than what has been done in official model team sets which is very simple rack and pinion steering, manually opening doors/hatches/skylights/hoods (no mechanisms attached), manually moveable propellers (no gearing of any kind) and a ball and socket pivot for a trailer. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single other function that exists in a model team set. You can use any part you want as long as it's not used to make a mechanism or function that extends beyond that. Use an LA only for decoration (must not move).

Rules state any original lego part can be used, that includes LAs, gears and axles.

Rules state one or more functions.

Quoting Jim:

....Set must have at least one, preferably more, functions.

....Only OFFICIAL LEGO parts.

ModelTeam had gears that operated steering in few models. In my entry model I am using basic gears and axles, no fancy techniques, just to accommodate few functions, like stated in the rules.

Rules state any original lego part can be used, that includes LAs, gears and axles.

Rules state one or more functions.

Quoting Jim:

....Set must have at least one, preferably more, functions.

....Only OFFICIAL LEGO parts.

ModelTeam had gears that operated steering in few models. In my entry model I am using basic gears and axles, no fancy techniques, just to accommodate few functions, like stated in the rules.

Yes you are right. It's just my own thoughts.

Could I get disqualified for putting a manual transmission in my entry (eg a truck)? Is that too technic-y?

I don't think so. I hope I haven't confused anyone, it was only my own thoughts as to what constitutes an official model team model as opposed to a creator model or a MOC. However I'm not making the rules so you should definitely ignore me :blush:.

Edited by allanp

Then we can just as wel grab one of the official set's instruction booklets and build that.

:wink:

I know I said restrictions sprout creativity, but there should also be some freedom for good models to come to life. Also there's tons of cool new parts that have appeared since the theme - let's make use of them. I think LAs are one of those elements.

(But i'm kinda biased because my model needs LAs and some studless beams as well for the functions. Sorry, I'm a Technic person. I can't build a vehicle model that has no functions with knobs and gears :p

But with all the Technic hidden away (and most functions being rather simple) I still think it's more a Model Team then a Technic. But, what's the difference anyway, between a Model Team with more functions, and a studded Technic with better looks? ;)

Edit. What about tiles? The Model Team sets of the day had lots of studs visible. Current Creator sets have many surfaces covered with tiles (or round slopes), so only a few studs are visible. I much prefer this sleeker look. But it is a style difference.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I totally agree with Erik. There are so many new parts that would be a real shame if we couldn't use them.

Edit. What about tiles? The Model Team sets of the day had lots of studs visible. Current Creator sets have many surfaces covered with tiles (or round slopes), so only a few studs are visible. I much prefer this sleeker look. But it is a style difference.

I will use tiles. They are regular parts and they look great. Thats what i imagine modelteam would look today.

Welcome to the club :blush:

I would like to join too, is there any empty place?:)

Because of this reason, i only lean back and i will give the scores only:)

hello, I'm lurking this lego page some weeks now :classic:

this fantastic MT contest finally made me register and to participate :thumbup: !