The Aston Martin Valkyrie seems the most logical* choice to me:

• Aston Martin cars have good representation in Speed Champions already
  • Dark green is a new (and relatively plentiful) colour to 1:8 supercars
  • It looks visually striking and is one of the more recognisable hypercars
  • The inclusion of underfloor tunnels would be an interesting design challenge

Unfortunately, I don't expect anything mechanically novel apart from the new gearbox pieces being used for a 7+R gearbox. 

*I want to make this clear, it is not my personal preference.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

Won't people then complain about yet another Lamborghini, and how similar it is to the Sián?

For sure. Maybe in a smaller scale, but I don't think this Lambo would be used as another Supercar. @kbalage's analysis is quite accurate I think. McLaren 750S or 765LT would also be available as a Spider models with retractable roof, which would be my favorite function :-)

Sjbzg.gif

Edited by Jundis

Yes, a retractable roof would be a good novelty for the 1:8 range. That, and variable ride height (so far only done in 8297) and four-wheel steering (so far only done for cars in 8880).

Steer-by-wire and hybrid powertrains, on the other hand, are modern features that in my opinion don't translate into interesting Technic models.

Edited by AVCampos
1:8 range, not 1:10

I received hundreds of comments on the video, and 2 alternative options came up multiple times that I didn't consider:

- Ford Mustang GTD - they call it a supercar and it's competing against the Porsche GT3 RS. It has adjustable suspension, active rear wing, would be an interesting design in 1:8 scale.

- McLaren GTS - The latest McLaren, literally revealed a day after my video was published, would fit my brand prediction 

14 hours ago, Lego Tom said:

Every option offered by a manufacture induces costs in production, which is why most vehicles come with only one engine choice though some come with different power rating of the same engine.

Yeah! But also they are forced by some silly "green" regulations. With >6 speed automatic it's easier to comply with emission limits. And with those many gears it becomes difficult to manage gear shifting.

I tried to use manual shifts on 8 speed gearbox (it was dual clutch, if anyone is interested), and without clear engine noise it's not easy. It gives you more adrenaline but do we really need it all the time?

OTOH driving in city traffic, with constant stoping and accelerating is really annoying with manual. That's why my current car has automatic gearbox. :pir-blush:

On that note I'm for STR-10 as next Technic flagship.

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

?! :)

Oh, right, it's another Lambo. I mistook it for some small-scale supercar manufacturer, which probably mostly shows how I'm not a car guy...

All cars in the series so far have been either top-of-the-line or limited production models, the McLaren GTS / 765 and Huracán Sterrato don't fit that IMHO. Stuff like the Aston Martin Valhalla/Valkyrie, Koenigsegg Gemera/CC850 and McLaren Elva seem more likely to me. The Koenigsegg Jesko and Mercedes-AMG ONE are another option if they don't mind redoing models made by other construction toy manufacturers.

I also don't think they'll repeat car brands this early on.

Edited by Kaanere

I know this is funny and weird. Just accept this as joke.
Hyundai reported that the N vision 74 vehicle will be released between 2024 and 2027 in a limited edition of 100 units.

Cause this is not that famous, iconic and electronic hybrid, so not suitable for technic. But anyone can dream.

Edited by msk6003

On 12/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, AVCampos said:

Won't people then complain about yet another Lamborghini, and how similar it is to the Sián?

That depends. As someone who values the internal mechanisms over the external looks, I complained that the Ferrari was too similar to the Sian because it was too mechanically similar. If they made the same car but with improved/more life-like mechanics then that would be better for me than having a different car but with the same mechanics, unless of course the mechanics are already so good and life-like that they can't really be improved, then keep them the same but change the car! But they are quite far away from that yet.

With all this talk of automatic gearboxes, and if TLG insist on only ever doing exotic supercars for their 1:8 ucs series, well maybe something like a 1:8 scale RAM TRX might make a good regular flagship? With new metal axles for the final drive, new buggy motors but in a more usable shape, and a properly working automatic gearbox which starts in first and automatically goes up through the gears. Then when it encounters resistance (like a hill), it senses the increased load on the motor and down shifts automatically. There would also be RC controlled hi-low range and diff lockers and so on. A real nice looking, 5000+ piece crawler that could literally tow my 97kg self while sat on a skateboard! But not before a JCB flagship of course :grin:!

Edited by allanp

2 hours ago, allanp said:

Well maybe something like a 1:8 scale RAM TRX might make a good regular flagship? With new metal axles for the final drive, new buggy motors but in a more usable shape, and a properly working automatic gearbox which starts in first and automatically goes up through the gears. Then when it encounters resistance (like a hill), it senses the increased load on the motor and down shifts automatically. There would also be RC controlled hi-low range and diff lockers and so on. A real nice looking, 5000+ piece crawler that could literally tow my 97kg self while sat on a skateboard! But not before a JCB flagship of course :grin:!

By reading this I just realized Lego had never thought of doing more than just supercars in the 1:8 line. Getting something motorized like a RAM as you mentioned [or another pickup truck] would be probably THE flagship set (it could also have a gearbox that has an actual effect on the function-ness of the set as compared to the cars where the gearboxes just sat there) :head_back:

Edited by PlopiNinetySix

I can't really imagine a flagship Backhoe with Control+, because 4 motors and one hub will already take up a lot of spaces inside already. Since drive and steer have to be RC, if the set has only 4 motors it will probably have a motor setup like the one in 42131, which means it can only afford 4 RC functions in addition to drive and steer, and a backhoe has way more to offer than just 4 RC functions.

My guess for the flagship is that it's gonna be a forklift truck. It is playable, and can use the 42131 motor setup.

19 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I can't really imagine a flagship Backhoe with Control+, because 4 motors and one hub will already take up a lot of spaces inside already. Since drive and steer have to be RC, if the set has only 4 motors it will probably have a motor setup like the one in 42131, which means it can only afford 4 RC functions in addition to drive and steer, and a backhoe has way more to offer than just 4 RC functions.

My guess for the flagship is that it's gonna be a forklift truck. It is playable, and can use the 42131 motor setup.

You are right. It either has to get 2 hubs, and maybe it can become fully remoted and huge, or just simply use a motorized pump, which is enough for all the pneumatic functions.

3 minutes ago, Jockos said:

It either has to get 2 hubs

If the massive 42131 can only afford 1 hub, then there's no chance a backhoe with the currently available biggest tractor tyre can afford two, unless TLG develops something like XXL tractor tyres on the same scale of those in the 1:5 motorbike series.

In the extreme event that TLG actually does a C+ Backhoe, I suspect its functions will be severely compromised. It can be something like this: RC Drive, RC Steer, RC bucket lift, RC excavator swiveling, RC excavator arm 1st stage, RC excavator arm 2nd and 3rd stage connected like in the 42121. 

Contradicting the predictions of Aston Martin Valkyrie, I think the newer and upcoming Valhalla has a better chance and is so far probably is my number one prediction. Honestly seeing the car's pictures it kinda looks like an AMG One with an Aston face. :laugh_hard:

800x656.png

Edited by StudWorks

On 12/20/2023 at 10:24 PM, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

What about Bugatti Mistral W16. It was recently revealed and it is the first car after Rimac-Bugatti merge. 

This would be better; and it is yellow

1024px-Bugatti_Type_57_Ventoux_001.jpg

...dominantly yellow...

Well, they way I see it, there are two acceptable options for a flagship back hoe, both options being fully pneumatic of course, I mean, that just goes without saying! 

Option 1: There is no control+. just a simple battery box and a motor driving the pneumatic compressor (minimum 4 pumps for this bad boy, ideally though it would have a new, more space efficient 6 barrel axial compressor, equaling 6 motor pumps in a single unit roughly the size of a medium motor). Functions would include inline 4 engine, 4wd, planetary hubs (yes, planetary hubs on a non-motorised model to spin the engine really fast!), steering on a tilting front axle. Pneumatic functions would outnumber even the mighty 8455 with front bucket raise/lower (2 2x11 cylinders), front bucket tilt (2 2x11), front bucket open/close (2 new cylinders with mounting point near the top as well as the bottom), rear stabilizers (2 new cylinders with mounting point near the top as well as the bottom), back hoe side shift (um, maybe 1 2x11 with a sort of chain/string arrangement to increase range of motion), back hoe slew (two new cylinders with mounting point near the top as well as the bottom, see picture), back hoe shoulder joint raise lower (1 2x11 cylinder), back hoe elbow joint (1 2x11 cylinder), back hoe telescopic boom (1 2x11 cylinder) and back hoe bucket (1 2x11 cylinder), totaling 10 pneumatic functions. The hoses would be all black. This is for a more authentic look but also, with this many functions and hoses, I highly doubt that the current 3 colours of hoses will be enough for fool proof instructions. So I propose a new system of hose hose identification, either with stickers applied by the customer (just some 2-3mm wide coloured bands that are long enough to wrap twice around the hose basically) or have some colour applied to the end faces of the precut hoses in some way. This way they have as much colour coding as they like where it is needed, while only having to make one colour of hose.

140378785_19.JPG?v=50808123

Option 2, the full control+ option. This would likely be the most complex and probably the most expensive set ever. I would have all the same functions as option 1, using all the same pneumatic cylinders, however everything is RC and controlled via 2 hubs. This would be done by having two modes of operation plus one extra function, a motorized rotating seat which turns to face the front or rear, which would signify what mode you are in.

Front facing mode:

1) Engine (this can switch between driving the wheels and automatically driving the compressor whenever any of the pneumatic controls are activated by the user) 

2) Steering,

3) Mode switching (this rotates the seat to indicate front facing mode whilst also mechanically links 5 servos to the five pneumatic valves for the 5 front facing pneumatic functions below. Using a spring loaded differential to switch a 2 function gearbox, continuing to try to rotate the seat after it has reached it's limit will switch the engine from driving the compressor to driving the wheels. A small gear shifter in the cabin will also move to signify that you are either in drive or compressor mode)

4) Front bucket raise/lower

5) Front bucket tilt

6) Front bucket open/close

7) Rear stabilizers

8) back hoes side shift

Rear facing mode:

1) Engine (this can switch between driving the wheels and automatically driving the compressor whenever any of the pneumatic controls are activated by the user) 

2) Steering,

3) Mode switching (this rotates the seat to indicate rear facing mode whilst also mechanically links 5 servos to the five pneumatic valves for the 5 rear facing pneumatic functions below. Using a spring loaded differential to switch a 2 function gearbox, continuing to try to rotate the seat after it has reached it's limit will switch the engine from driving the compressor to driving the wheels. A small gear shifter in the cabin will also move to signify that you are either in drive or compressor mode)

4) Back hoes slew

5) Back hoe shoulder joint raise/lower

6) Back hoe elbow joint

7) Back hoe telescopic boom

8) Back hoe bucket.

Edited by allanp

I don't think C+ can go with Pneumatics, because the motors cant determine the exact positions of the cylinders based on feedback from the valves.

6 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I don't think C+ can go with Pneumatics, because the motors cant determine the exact positions of the cylinders based on feedback from the valves.

Why do the motors need to know where the cylinders are? The engine in a real JCB doesn't know where each cylinder is. That's the the operator is for!

In C+/LA solutions, consider that while the CAT has a 4-function gearbox the new Yamaha gearbox parts allow for an 8-function one.

13 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

In C+/LA solutions, consider that while the CAT has a 4-function gearbox the new Yamaha gearbox parts allow for an 8-function one.

8 fuctions (excluding drive and steering) would be just enough for back hoe. And CLAAS tires are perfect for that sizewize

16 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Wonder if that is really true. It might enable 8 speeds, on two parallel shafts, but for 8 functions you need to route the 8 functions in 8 separate directions, which would be super hard to do I guess..

We've already had several control+/La based sets, as well as several PF/RC/La based sets. We have never had an RC pneumatic set of any kind. Not saying everything should be pneumatic, variety is best, however we are definitely overdue a pneumatic flagship, as well as a pneumatic RC set.

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

Wonder if that is really true. It might enable 8 speeds, on two parallel shafts, but for 8 functions you need to route the 8 functions in 8 separate directions, which would be super hard to do I guess..

Extension rings are a thing and you don't need to do it all off one switching drum. I'd say getting all functions into the back hoe arm is a bigger barrier, particularly if you are implementing side shift.

25 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Extension rings are a thing and you don't need to do it all off one switching drum.

It's true that breaking the gearbox into multiple sub-parts may help, especially separating front/rear functions, but even then the sheer amount of output axles that need to be routed would make it pretty complex.

25 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

I'd say getting all functions into the back hoe arm is a bigger barrier, particularly if you are implementing side shift.

And this too..

1 hour ago, allanp said:

We've already had several control+/La based sets, as well as several PF/RC/La based sets. We have never had an RC pneumatic set of any kind. Not saying everything should be pneumatic, variety is best, however we are definitely overdue a pneumatic flagship, as well as a pneumatic RC set.

What I'd really like to see in this direction is a peristaltic pump based RC pneumatic solution that we concluded would be possible to run with pressurized air based on the experiments of @2GodBDGlory. Anyway, two of these huge hubs would not fit into a backhoe I think (next to all the motors that drive the actual functions).