The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

30 minutes ago, Gongoro73 said:

I feel the "jukebox section" will make more sense if placed in the middle of a symetric building.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it also depends on what the side wall over the stairs looks like. I don’t mind “ugly” walls when they will be directly abutting a neighbouring building, but I think doing it at exposed walls (eg the florist in Assembly Square, or the back of the Ghostbusters Firehouse) just looks a bit shoddy.

I quite like the idea of the Cadillac style car, but I’d much prefer they save the parts for the main build and then offer the car separately as an informal Creator line tie in for people who were interested (akin to a larger version of the flower seller polybag attached to DO).

The new modular (I consider it's real) is not bad at all, but I can't imagine how can it fit to my city. The style is so different, than the previous modulars. And I especially dislike the car.

So I will learn the building technics, but most probably won't buy the set.

mixed fellings about it if its true.

looks very different but change can be good!

really curious to see the inside. all those juicy details.

in closing what are we looking at?

first floor - diner , restaurant
second floor - no clue
third floor - no clue

59 minutes ago, just_one said:

second floor - no clue

third floor - no clue

There are plenty of clues. Second floor is likely an old-style gym with punching bag(s) and weights, third floor is likely a recording studio or radio station.

Assuming that the Diner isn't fake, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out this one hasn't been designed by Jamie Berrard. I think whoever has designed it has had a good go at replicating some of his techniques like the roofline along the top of the building, but the overall vibe of this building is just too different to previous models.

Edited by Bricked1980

2 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Assuming that the Diner isn't fake, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out this one hasn't been designed by Jamie Berrard. I think whoever has designed it has had a good go at replicating some of his techniques like the roofline along the top of the building, but the overall vibe of this building is just too different to previous models.

Funny, first thing I thought when I saw this picture was " Jamie Berrard!" :laugh:

I love this design, by the way, be it fake or not (I lean towards legit).
Great Hopper-inspired ground floor façade, lovely colours; we could fit this into our city no problem.
No big fan of the 50s American design in general, but it looks great.

Always disappointing to see how many AFOLs haven't outgrown their distaste for the color pink. The colors for this modular are fairly realistic for the subject matter, and the complexity and building techniques are on par with past modulars, so all the comparisons to Friends betray a rather juvenile apprehension toward anything that could be perceived as "girly"...

Just now, Lyichir said:

Always disappointing to see how many AFOLs haven't outgrown their distaste for the color pink. The colors for this modular are fairly realistic for the subject matter, and the complexity and building techniques are on par with past modulars, so all the comparisons to Friends betray a rather juvenile apprehension toward anything that could be perceived as "girly"...

Well said! There is always something to make remarks about....why not being glad there is a new modular? If you don't like the color, just change it....that is Lego...think outside that box, or in this case the set... be creative and mod it when you are not satisfied with the building that should fit the whole worlds afol-wishes!

9 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Always disappointing to see how many AFOLs haven't outgrown their distaste for the color pink.

True, though I think it’s making the distinction between the use of pinks and other bright colours in a way that is tasteful (e.g. complimentary), as appears to be case with the Dinner colour scheme, and the design of the Friends sets, where there is usually at least one random colour “too many”.

I have bought a number of Friends sets (once heavily discounted) with the intention of breaking them down for parts and stickers, but some of the vomit-inducing colour combinations (e.g. yellowish orange, medium azure, and medium lavender in the Heartlake Gift Delivery, or all the purples and limes in the current winter series) make for some truly ugly sets with plenty of unsalvageable parts.

I'd like to know more about this Dinner, providing it's real (which I think it is). Hopefully we'll get a press release this week!

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

You read my mind, sir! It seems like it might've been his idea, but somebody else brought it to life. It looks somewhat unJamie-ish, I really don't know what it is. One thing's for sure, Jamie did propose the usage of the Beetle's bow piece, he already said he'd given the idea of using it on the London Bus... And nobody out of Creator has made a recolour (tempted to say "has used it", but I'm almost certain some 2017/18 Elves sets use it)

53 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

True, though I think it’s making the distinction between the use of pinks and other bright colours in a way that is tasteful (e.g. complimentary), as appears to be case with the Dinner colour scheme, and the design of the Friends sets, where there is usually at least one random colour “too many”.

I have bought a number of Friends sets (once heavily discounted) with the intention of breaking them down for parts and stickers, but some of the vomit-inducing colour combinations (e.g. yellowish orange, medium azure, and medium lavender in the Heartlake Gift Delivery, or all the purples and limes in the current winter series) make for some truly ugly sets with plenty of unsalvageable parts.

How can any color be unsalvageable if you use it in a moc? Any color on its own combined with dark bley or black will look sharp and not clash. I can understand liking some colors more than others, but any realistic city-scape has quite a variety of colors, many more than what are available as Lego elements. I think it's a good exercise to work with colors that may not be favorites, and a great way to use up parts.

29 minutes ago, paupadros said:

And nobody out of Creator has made a recolour (tempted to say "has used it", but I'm almost certain some 2017/18 Elves sets use it)

This is the one 2017 Elves set that had utilized the part, but it only used one of them in Dark Azure, same color used in the Expert Beetle.

Brickset - 41182 The Capture of Sophie Jones

I had started to accept the idea that the Diner is legit but there is still some things about it which make me suspicious. I will try to explain...

In my opinion there is something about the layout of the leaked advert/image which just looks off. Each year when a new modular is released Lego always reveal these beautiful graphic designs to support the new models. 

The images always show the latest model in the foreground with the previous 2 models behind following the same angle of perspective. On the leaked image of the diner, the angle of perspective is nothing like it is on all the past graphics for previous modulars though. In fact there is just something about the way the new model has been photographed which looks pretty amateurish to me. A small section of the right side of the building seems to be cut off slightly, and the rocket/aerial thing on the top is slightly cropped off, although I do appreciate that might just be because whoever photographed the leaked page hasn't managed to get the whole thing in to frame.

Here is last years image for Assembly Square.

This was the only time they've used a strip of all the previous sets side by side at the bottom of the page, and this was just to support the fact it was the 10th anniversary. So why would they recycle this graphic for the new modular, and even if they did want to re-use it why haven't they updated the image to include the diner within the line-up of buildings?

I understand that the leaked page is probably only a preliminary design, only intended to be seen internally by Lego employees, but as a graphic designer myself, I still think they'd have done a better job of designing this advert, to follow the same template, branding style used for previous sets.

Finally, it's one thing that they seem to have abandoned the generic smiley faces for the minifigs but I still say there is something about some of the faces (especially the guy in the car) that doesn't even look like an official lego face to me. His reminds me of some of the poor quality faces I've seen online, produced by some of the rip off chinese companies.

Sorry for rambling on, there is still a great deal to suggest that this is legit but I can't say I'm completely convinced.

Edited by Bricked1980

16 minutes ago, ChrisPChicken said:

How can any color be unsalvageable if you use it in a moc?

Hmmm, try this one: https://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-6133814. Each of the 4 sets it has appeared in would look considerably better with an alternative colour, and there is nothing I am planning to build in which medium lavender would be the best colour - therefore the plates will be buried deep underground!

Actually, I prefer the updated faces. I suppose  it helps tell a better narrative. But the big joke in the Detective Office set is that the wanted poster shows the classic face that all the minifigures have.

And wouldn't it be funny if all the heads are dual-sided with the classic faces on one side for purists?

Edited by badbob001

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It's not that I don't like pink, I just don't like the style of building.

Just now, badbob001 said:

And wouldn't it be funny if all the heads are dual-sided with the classic faces on one side for purists?

Don't think they'll have double sided faces. The chef's hat doesn't have hair to cover up whatever face was positioned at the back.

18 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

Actually, I prefer the updated faces. I suppose  it helps tell a better narrative. But the big joke in the Detective Office set is that the wanted poster shows the classic face that all the minifigures have.

With faces printed with emotions there is the problem the minifigures are stuck in that one phase of the story.

I hope it will be neutral or happy faces, or just for sake of tradition, that the picture wasn't the final version and classic faces will be included.

It surprises me the official announcement didn't come today to minimise damage. It's a bit goofy LEGO was top secret about the next modular set and didn't give us a single hint, just to get it all spoiled by that leaked picture.

It was much more fun last year with Assembly Square!

Edited by Wesley D

Just now, Wesley D said:

It surprises me the official announcement didn't come today to minimise damage. It's a bit goofy LEGO was top secret about the next modular set and didn't give us a single hint, just to get it all spoiled by that leaked picture.

They will issue a press release once SWAT has secured the leaker. Any moment now...

Just noticed the images are still widely available online and on page 215 of this thread. If the image was real wouldn't Lego have had them taken down by now?

Edited by Bricked1980

30 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

It's not that I don't like pink, I just don't like the style of building.

Yeah I suspect that the lack of fondness from those who aren't madly in love with this building stems not from a specific color but more from the Art Deco styling in general. Art Deco is often a controversial subject in architecture. The popularity waned quite a long time ago and this particular style of Art Deco, the more flamboyant less subdued late Art Deco/Streamline Moderne is now almost exclusively relegated to South Beach Miami, Johnny Rockets restaurants and the Fallout video game series. 

5 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah I suspect that the lack of fondness from those who aren't madly in love with this building stems not from a specific color but more from the Art Deco styling in general. Art Deco is often a controversial subject in architecture. The popularity waned quite a long time ago and this particular style of Art Deco, the more flamboyant less subdued late Art Deco/Streamline Moderne is now almost exclusively relegated to South Beach Miami, Johnny Rockets restaurants and the Fallout video game series. 

I feel as though the design clashes pretty hard with the rest of the buildings in the line; not nearly as much as the Ninjago City though!