22kane

What set/sets brought you out of your dark ages?

First X-Wing. My oldest brother had a classic plastic glue type model X-Wing. And I wasn’t allowed to touch it growing up. So when I saw Lego had made X-Wing I bought it just for fun. :blush:

Edited by Rook

8092, Luke's Landspeeder, ended a Dark Age that began around the time Luke originally drove that thing on the movie screen. When I last built Lego sets, the minifig hadn't been invented, and nobody dreamed that one day adults would be a significant market segment for Lego.

8092 was an awesome set, but there weren't really any other Star Wars sets that I wanted and could afford at that time. So I bought the Atlantis Seabed Scavenger. Didn't like it, still not sure why I thought it would be cool. Almost gave up the whole business as silly kid stuff. Then I got Kingdoms Outpost Attack, and it hit me that I could make that thing so cool if I had just a FEW more pieces, so I started buying more and more Lego. Still haven't done that Outpost Attack expansion, though.

I entered high school in 2006. As a result, I found myself too busy to mind Lego. The new lines didn't appeal as much to me, and I also came to that awkward stage in which most teenagers try to do stuff to be accepted (even if they don't think so). Anyways, I gradually left Lego for other interests, such as movies, soundtracks, and SW Unleashed figures. I didn't buy Lego for myself anymore, but I did get some from other people. My peak was 2008... In that year, I only got 4 minifigs. :look: However, at the end of 2008, I realized this baby was released for the 30th anniversary of SW:

sw158.gif?0

It was first sight love!! :wub: I knew I had to get one. :classic: Fortunately, it wasn't too late for me, as these were still fairly common on eBay. I bought one sealed at $75, and in January 2009 my new shiny buddy arrived. I bought the other shiny guys, and in no time I was back at minifig and keychain collecting. I even began to buy Space Police III sets, which also helped to bring me out of my Dark Ages (it even makes me shiver to say those two words together). But it was basically "goldie pants" who got me out of it. Thanks, 3PO buddy! You'll always be one of my favorite figs :sweet:

Edited by johnnyvgoode

I think for me it was the 9V Train sets such as the Train Engine Shed, BNSF Locomotive, TTX Double-Stack Cars, and Santa Fe Super Chief. Those sets really got my creative juices flowing followed shortly by the Cafe Corner. From there, it's just grown and grown.

-Davey

Well I kind of got back into Lego with this guy But was fully brought back by Indy, starting with this guy. Both are still fully assembled.

Edited by K-nut

For me it was Oxford. I hadn't bought a set in a very long time because I'd been travelling and moving around. There was no where to hold on to it and if I bought it, I couldn't just give it up.

But after having been in Korea for a couple years, I would occasionally wander past the toy section and I kept noticing these military sets. After doing some digging around and finding out they were compatible with Lego and that the quality was reasonable, I bought their tank OCM15000, and I was off the races. Due to limited space though I've kept my collection only to their military line, with a couple other sets, but I got those for review and I've given them away. I've bought only one Lego set since, I needed a small one for quality reference. He's the little city line street sweeper. A larger house might be on the horizon, so if that's the case, then I might be able to spread out a little more and pick up some other stuff.

I hadn't bought a set in maybe.. hmm.. 12-13 years.. I think the last time I really bought Lego was around 1997-1998 just as the original Pirates line was wrapping up. There was a sale and I grabbed several sets I was missing at that time.

Not sure I had a dark age in the traditional sense. I started building LEGO Space as an adult in the mid 1990's, lost interest for about 10 years then started again with Mindstorms an Technic. The I built a few Star Wars sets. After awhile I found I like buildings better so I pieced together a Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and took off into Modulars and other buildings.

I also like holiday themed, particularly Christmas and some Halloween.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

The Republic Gunship from 2008 :sweet:

I saw it in a commercial for the Star Wars Clone Wars premier; I was surprised at how accurate it looked. So I bought it! :wink:

Oh, that's easy....2008 Police Station which was for my son's birthday, but guess who built 80% of it ? :laugh:

Ah, memories ! :sweet:

Sorry for bumping, but I hadn't noticed this topic until now. The 2010 Harry Potter line, especially The Burrow. I was super pumped to get those. I was dabbling in LDD that previous summer, but those were the first Lego I had purchased since 1996 probably. Since then I don't even want to add up how much I've spent on the hobby. The entire Harry Potter line, the Kingdoms line, the POTC line, some PoP, some other discontinued sets from Pirates and Castle, plus countless Bricklink orders...all in less than a year :wacko: . Yikes!

Well, what brought me out of my first Dark Age was the Royal Knights/Dark Forest in late 1996/early 1997, which hearkened back to my favorite Classic Castle themes, the Crusaders and Forestmen... The Ninja line postponed my second Dark Age for about a year (and making major improvements to a Ninja-based MOC was the only major LEGO building I did during my second Dark Age), which was brought on by the fact that I was in the Navy on shipboard duty (nowhere near enough room for LEGO bricks), and LEGO's declining set quality at the time...

What brought me out of my second Dark Age was the return of Pirates and discovering BrickArms... I've been back and haven't looked back since.

the eiffel tower and town plan got me back into it. Then i realised what i had as a kid was worth so now im buying everything

How did I miss this one? Anyways. I don't remember how I got to looking at Lego, but I ended up on eBay and bought one of(then the others)Forestmen sets. Then, I looked on Lego.com to see what they had now. Saw the Cafe Corner and Market Street and I was done.

For me, my Lego buying finished around 1995. Fast forward to 2004, while in university, I picked up the re-release of the Black Seas Barracuda (always wanted it) which lead me to find a Caribbean Clipper off ebay.

From 2004 till last year I picked up the odd Creator set, but what really got me out of my dark ages was the Tower Bridge. I received it as a gift from my significant other! Since then I've been going full tilt...

Edited by eliminator

I'm almost embarassed to say this, but....

the set that got me "out of the darkage" into serious collecting (for 12 years now) is the 4561 Railway Express. It was the

first time in my life where I was financially able to buy a lego train.

Of all sets... Mine was the Lego Viking ship! $55 aud for a Lego ship - one impulse buy at a post Xmas sale, and I'm still sucked in 7 years later...

A few - a reduced Toa Nuparu Mahri in the early months of '08 then the smallest of the wave one Agents sets - the one with a jetpack and a snowmobile, then some newspaper promotions around the October of '08 coupled with Pillage the Village contest over on Classic Pirates bought me out of my dark ages.

8017 Darth Vader's Tie Anniversary set, by accident really, grabbed it to make up the 3 for 2 deal offer, who would have known that started the snowball of Lego i have now :tongue:

Strangely enough, I still haven't bought the two sets that brought me out of my dark ages! I saw a story on Wired about the Unimog, and thought "Man, I have GOT to have that!" I've had Technics for a long time, and bought two of the recent motorcycles, (8291 and 8051) because they reminded me of two of my real bikes. I even have 8880, and take it apart and put it back together periodically. So I figured I'd get the Unimog and have some fun with it. Then I saw the VW van in a Lego catalog, and figured that I liked it even more, just due to the interesting details. Plus it was cheaper than the Unimog, so hey, I can save some money. So I went to a Lego store with my wife.

She suggested we set up a little winter scene, and wanted to get a couple of the Winter Village sets. I decided to get two modulars instead, (Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium) and try to make a winter scene with them. That was in November, and now I've got about $1100 worth of City sets, with the Maersk train, the Pet Shop, Public Transportation, City Corner, and some others.

I still haven't bought the Unimog or the VW van. :laugh: But the table where my city is set up is almost full, so perhaps a move to Technics is in order...

I had a couple of Classic Space sets as a kid, the 6929 Starfleet Voyager and 6890 Cosmic Cruiser. I also had a Universal Building Set (I think it was 113). Dark Age from about 1983 to about 1990, when I bought a small Pirate set (Renegade Raft...still have it). Dark Age until 1999, when I saw the first pictures of 7140. I bought several SW sets from 1999 though 2003, then I stopped for a couple of years. Then, I saw some of the ROTS sets and had to have them, also went back and picked up 4504, 4500, and Imperial Inspection, which I missed at retail. Been buying ever since, expanding into a few other lines, but basically it's been SW for the last 7 years.

After a 10 year break from LEGO, The Grand Emporium brought me out of the dark ages. I couldnt believe the amount of detail that was put into the set. Its been all down hill from there. I went on to purchase the Fire Brigade, Green Grocer, Pet Shop, Cafe Corner and everything else i can get my hands on. Im just mad that i missed out on so much, now i have to pay double or triple the original price. Oh well, never thought twice about it.