Fugazi

Pharaoh's Quest 2011

Remember Chaps, as preliminary mock-ups, faces, torsos, headgear and "look" are not finalised. The mummmies look to all be the old movies one (which would be a cool thing to get)but might not be when finalised. Please do not express ire and suchlike if the official release looks different.

Now. I need all of that. I needs it all!!!

Thanks a lot Nausi & Tervlon! You guys are the best! :thumbup:

I love the new sets... :wub: New series to collect!

I think they would make a lovely set-up with IJ & POP sets too. Now I really hope TLG will release tan base plates for desert scenes, else no way I can set them up properly... :look:

Oh, I really don't know what to say..... Adventurers have always been my most favourite theme, especially the Egypt one, now I have a mixed feelings about this one.....

One of the definirwly positive aspects is that we get some nice minifigure (however it seems it's taking place several years, or even a decades later after Johnny left for the Jungle and things have gone really nasty there). The explorers can not be judged yet, but I have a terrible feeling of 'genericness' when i look at them. I hope it's just because of the standard preliminary faces. The mummies are nice, however it's a strange choice for enemies. I mean soo many of them! Winged, on foot,mounting giant creatures ( :hmpf: ),etc.

Speaking of those, I really don't like them. That is actually why I never collected or was interested in Atlantis. In my opinion, an opposing human faction would have been much more interesting, with mummies being a neutral, but agressive side.

Another positive moment is the fact that we get a tonn of new molds, like scarabs (Arkham! :wub: ) Anubis heads (Castle! :wub: ), weapons, etc.....

I agree with those who say that the theme is too colorful, but at the same time, it has to be appealing to kids.

Just a couple of random ideas..... ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Thank you very muh for these (links to the) pictures, nausi, Tervlon and computerbugs! :classic:

Well, I fear I'll anger the most of you with my opinion - but I want to say it nevertheless:

I really dislike this theme.

The architecture of the settings is awesome and so do the torso designs of the adventurers, the accessory and the design of the vehicles. :thumbup:

But:

1. It's really ugly to get giant, oversized animals included: giant spider, giant cobra and giant bug!

2. It's not nice to see that many undead with ugly faces.

All in all this is imo really an ugly theme. :sick: :sick: :sick:

It seems as if TLG ran out of ideas what they could do for new Atlantis sets. And so they took exactly the same basic idea of Atlantis (giant animals vs. humans) and only put it into a different context. Really uninspired and ugly!

The old Adventurers' theme of around 2000 was imo much, much better. It included no undead, no ugly and oversized creatures and the "battle" was taking place between different adventurers which was imo much more realistic, nice and interesting to play. And nevertheless there was not less playability included in it than in this theme!

Only one good thing this new theme has:

When I firstly heard about an Egypt theme, I thought about a historical theme (like Playmobil released) and was totally enthused.

Then I thought that supposably it'll be a re-design of the Adventurers' theme which would if it was done like the one around 2000 have been amazing nevertheless.

Whether the one or the other kind of theme, I was very sad that I will for sure not be aible to get any of these sets since I need my money and my left space for some of next year's City sets.

But since I see these sets now: no, thank you - I even don't one of them as a gift!

So I'm really even absolutely not excited about the rumor of an "Indian Quest" theme. It for sure will be exactly the same like this theme (adventurers vs. oversized animals) - but only taking place either somewhere in Middle/South America or in the Orient.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Nausi sent them over to me, I'm hosting them on Flickr for now. Get them while you can.

See all the images of the 2011 Pharoah's Quest line here:

On Flickr

Special thanks to Nausi who took pictures of the European retail catalog.

Great job dear friend. But the spoiler season is not yet end... :thumbup:

nausi

I'm pleasantly surprised by these pictures, I'll probably buy this theme. :thumbup:

i like very much the sovranatural aspect of this new theme... (as for atlantis)

i think that is more fun for kid play with big creature and fantasy guy instead a boring adult historical theme...

in my opinion i like very much this new theme...

In view of TLC now liking to path storyline for its new theme, based on the preliminary pictures, I guess that the story, or the "Quest", is about adverturers collecting the full "golden Pharoah equipment". My further guess is the second or last wave of this line is for the adventurers to finally encounter or summon the ultimate boss "golden Pharoah" after collecting all its equipment!

Let's speculate! :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the pics! I was very excited about this but also a bit too optimistic..

First of all, I guess the final characters will be a lot like Adventurers' main crew, meaning young Indy guy, older prof, sexy girl and badass muscleman (probably to man the guns and fly the biplane).

Second, let me say how this would have been more my taste: CUT the giant scorpion and snake, cut half of the mummies, replace blue with tan. ADD camel, native helpers, camp for the adventurers, palms, 2nd faction.

Or, to cut it short, just take a bit of speed out of the whole thing. These sets look like a SWAT team entering Egypt and jelling "fast, fast, move it out, red team!" In my imagination it kind of stops there. Thinking about the old Egypt theme (12 years ago, boy, I am old!) there was a lot of mystery and a slow approach, the other faction stealing the map from the camp in the night, finding them, finding the temple, the curse of the pharaoh, avoiding the traps, etc etc. It was like you imagine going to Egypt and looking for a temple. It led to imagination. These new sets avoid the same.

So these sets can be used to spice up my old Adventurers a little, if even. The price point is something that makes me shiver. Not even Indy or PoP had a 100€ set, neither does Toy Story, and these are all licences. TLC has a lot of faith in this series, it seems. I will see if there will be some bargains and then decide, cause in the end Mutts motorcycle, tan pieces and new adventurish minifigs are always welcome!

This theme looks like it could be the surprise hit for next year. The fact that the pyramid looks to be made of predominantly smaller bricks is fantastic. While this certainly is not be the continuation of Johnny Thunder that some might have hoped for, it does look to be a solid theme with a lot of MOCing potential.

Even if most kids pass this up for NinjaGo, it certainly looks like a goldmine for AFOLs looking for building materials.

Nausi sent them over to me, I'm hosting them on Flickr for now. Get them while you can.

See all the images of the 2011 Pharoah's Quest line here:

On Flickr

Special thanks to Nausi who took pictures of the European retail catalog.

Nice! I can't wait!

Ohh man, looking at those pics I know I'm aiming for multiples of the pyramid and biplane at the least, and all the vehicles are dark red! HECK yes! I'm so excited about this theme now, come on release date! :thumbup::laugh:

Also noteworthy, something nobody seems to have really commented on: the Pyramid uses a BURP baseplate. As far as I remember the last BURP in a set was in the the 2008 set 7627 Temple of the Crystal Skull.

Not something particularly special to me, but a lot of people have strong feelings about BURPs (positive or negative), and I was surprised to see few comments on that either here or on Flickr.

WOW! This theme looks awesome! :wub:

The small airlplane and motorcycle sets are amazing. I can see myself getting 3-4 of each of those sets. I also like the deep red colors of all the vechicles. I actually like the Sphinx, the head looks very menacing :devil:. The giant cobra, is kinda 'meh'.

One gripe is that it looks like there is a lot of stickers on the pyramid, especially along the bottom. Hopefully thats just on the prelim pics and the final set will have printing.

What a great theme especially the small sets with the airplane and the motorcycle. :wub:

And all those other nice vehicles. I'm glad they kept 30149.gif and made it nice dark red.

I don't really like those giant brick-built animals, and where are the camels or palm trees.

This new theme reminds me of "the Mummy" and "the Mummy: Returns" movies, which is great. :tongue::thumbup:

the Inventor

This theme looks very nice with all the new pieces. Thanks for the pictures nausicaakro and Tervlon!

Has anyone thought of using the wing pieces on the mummy to make a hawkman minifigure from DC comics?

LegoGalactus

Thank you very muh for these (links to the) pictures, nausi, Tervlon and computerbugs! :classic:

Well, I fear I'll anger the most of you with my opinion - but I want to say it nevertheless:

The architecture of the settings is awesome and so do the torso designs of the adventurers, the accessory and the design of the vehicles. :thumbup:

But:

1. It's really ugly to get giant, oversized animals included: giant spider, giant cobra and giant bug!

2. It's not nice to see that many undead with ugly faces.

All in all this is imo really an ugly theme. :sick: :sick: :sick:

It seems as if TLG ran out of ideas what they could do for new Atlantis sets. And so they took exactly the same basic idea of Atlantis (giant animals vs. humans) and only put it into a different context. Really uninspired and ugly!

The old Adventurers' theme of around 2000 was imo much, much better. It included no undead, no ugly and oversized creatures and the "battle" was taking place between different adventurers which was imo much more realistic, nice and interesting to play. And nevertheless there was not less playability included in it than in this theme!

Only one good thing this new theme has:

When I firstly heard about an Egypt theme, I thought about a historical theme (like Playmobil released) and was totally enthused.

Then I thought that supposably it'll be a re-design of the Adventurers' theme which would if it was done like the one around 2000 have been amazing nevertheless.

Whether the one or the other kind of theme, I was very sad that I will for sure not be aible to get any of these sets since I need my money and my left space for some of next year's City sets.

But since I see these sets now: no, thank you - I even don't one of them as a gift!

So I'm really even absolutely not excited about the rumor of an "Indian Quest" theme. It for sure will be exactly the same like this theme (adventurers vs. oversized animals) - but only taking place either somewhere in Middle/South America or in the Orient.

Klaus-Dieter

I feel like you've strongly disliked every action theme to come out in the last several years that wasn't Wild West.

I'm with you, Klaus-Dieter. I don't really like this theme all that much either, for exactly the reason you mentioned -- it's very repetitive. The humans vs. giant animals is so played out by now: Dino Attack, Vikings, Aquaraiders, Power Miners, Atlantis, and now this.

Maybe I've just been in this hobby for too long, but I sorta feel that way about all the 2011 sets we've seen so far. It all seems familiar and repetitve.

Ok, there is a Pharao mummy that controls a giant stone snake!

Only bad thing is the lack of Johnny Thunder.

true, but IMO it's a bit more exciting than people versus people. I personally like the fantastic elements of recent themes. It allows for more imaginative designs and offers parts that are a bit less normal.

:wub: I really like the look of these sets. The new molds are really great to see and the minifigures are great in variety. I look forward to buying these as I never got any of the older ones.

I think the sets look alright but as soon as I saw them I knew there was some MODs I would have to do.

Thanks for the Pictures :classic:

I agree with that '---Vertea---',

You can now make some more mythical beings without having to make the parts yourself, I really like the wings of the flying mummies for example. And that Anubis minifig is great for Stargate MOCs.

the Inventor

I can understand the dislike of some of the elements of this theme, giant creatures tends to be a bit overplayed. However, some of the minifigs really stand out (Anubis, anyone), and the brick selection isn't bad. This theme isn't great, but it still is fairly good.

Sirius

Wow this theme looks so awesome it prompted me to finally sign up at Eurobricks after lurking for many years.

The mummies in the 7306 picture are most definitely not from the studios sets. They are all new color patterns and face prints.

A giant goddess Renenutet (the big cobra) sweet.

A giant goddess Serqet (the big scorpion) also sweet.

Mini-fig goddess Horus and god Anubis, amazingly awesome.

A giant sphinx statue of the lion goddess Sekhmet jackal god Anubis? :wacko:

That pyramid is the best Egyptian themed Lego structure ever.

That is the best mini-fig bi-plane ever. :wub:

The only thing I hope is either one of the smaller sets gets a mummy changed to an Anubis or there is an impluse of him. An army of jackal men led by Anubis or even being able to make a row of Anubis "statues" to go with the Horus "statues" would just make this theme perfect to me.

I really hope Pharaoh's Quest combined with the new Atlantis temple (the only set worthy of the name "Atlantis" as far as I am concerned) is leading up to a mythological Greek/Roman theme in 2012 or 2013. That would make Pharaoh's Quest doubly awesome.

P.S. Am I the only one thinking the Horus head-dress would make a good MOD starter piece for the sorceress from He-Man?

I think it looks great, PoP-type sets but without the extra license fees on the prices. I may buy some of these sets and not only parts from BL...

I just hope that it's mostly printed parts and not stickers. The RAF emblems on the biplane are great!