yanwilma

[MOC] ship voc 'Batavia' 1628 scale 1:40

Hi, I present the ship 'Batavia' that sailed for the VOC in the early 17th century, but was wrecked on its maiden voyage. I built it a long time ago, but now that I'm going to dismantle it again, I first want to show it to you again, because I'm proud of it too. if anyone wants a detailed photo of something, don't hesitate because within a week or 2 it will slowly sink... also many thanks to you (the forum) because it often gave me inspiration. 

it is on scale 1/40 lengt = 158cm ,h=135cm,br=60cm 

20231210_150443

image.png

I love it, I'd suggest you do an elaborate photoshoot before you dismantle it. Would be a shame not to have a detailed record of such a fine vessel.

thx, for the shape I based myself on plans of a wooden model, redrawn to scale 1:40 and then a lot of measuring. It is of course Lego and it is difficult for me to plan or file it, but it will rarely be more than a cm off For example, there are 2 sloping steps on the gallion, so I could only place 1 there. I also couldn't get the slope in the gallion. The foremast is perpendicular to the deck, but due to the topmast and yards it bends over a bit. The main mast and mizzen mast are slightly set back, but as a result of the topmast and yards they also bend forward a bit. The galleries were also a challenge because they run both upwards and inwards... and in that color it was not easy (little choice).I could solve the mast problem by rigging, but on that scale the masts are very flexible and very difficult for me to rig.but it was a lot of fun to make, and time for something new.sorry if something is not clear, I am not used to working with a PC and am still searching.   i think if you click on a photo you will go to my flickaccount and see more photos?

20231210_152430

thx Sebeus I ,ik wou een houten model bouwen enkele jaren gelden...tot ik op een lego beurs werk van u zag, ik werd weggeblazen..je hebt echt al prachtig werk geleverd! 

10 minutes ago, yanwilma said:

i think if you click on a photo you will go to my flickaccount and see more photos?

Yes :thumbup:

Wow, amazing work. A piece of art. Seen the real model in Lelystad and this is an extremely nice representation 

thanks rogue redcoat for posting photos :thumbup:

Brickander Brickumnus your welcom :classic:

Frauces thanks for comment, I built the Batavia on a scale of 1:40 and I think it's big, but Willem Vos built it on a scale of 1:1!!that's crazy! *huh*

My God! That's a marvelous achievement, YanWilma. You went all the way with details like the grid deck on the galleon and the wooden rope holder statues on the decks, not to mention the continued sloping of the decks on the stern castle.
And the masts are more complete then the original in Lelystad. :D

Did you have plans to show it on one or the other LEGO event in the Low Lands?

19 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

My God! That's a marvelous achievement, YanWilma. You went all the way with details like the grid deck on the galleon and the wooden rope holder statues on the decks, not to mention the continued sloping of the decks on the stern castle.
And the masts are more complete then the original in Lelystad. :D

Did you have plans to show it on one or the other LEGO event in the Low Lands?

thanks GeoBrick, yes I spent some time on some details... such as the tarms of the gallion, scuppers for the water overflow of the deck, the place where the helmsman looks through. the ((berghout)) (wale) in the dark brown was also not easy to tune because there are only a limited number of slopes and it has to be slightly outside the planking,but you have to look carefully because it blends in with its surroundings. And no, I have no plans to take it with me to a Lego event. After 2 years (to get in the way according to the woman :laugh:)I promised to get rid of it before Christmas. and I need parts for my next idea :D

A very beautiful and impressive galleon! :pir-huzzah2: t is very detailed and precisely built. I particularly like the photos in which minifigures can be seen, because it is clear how big the ship is.

On 12/11/2023 at 6:39 PM, yanwilma said:

thx Sebeus I ,ik wou een houten model bouwen enkele jaren gelden...tot ik op een lego beurs werk van u zag, ik werd weggeblazen..je hebt echt al prachtig werk geleverd! 

Oh, thanks, I'm flattered :pir-blush:

Very nice replica of the Batavia. It looks very much like the real replica that was built in Lelystad at the end of the 1980s until well into the 1990s.
I lived in Lelystad at the time and often visited the shipyard where they built the ship.
Real craftsmanship, many techniques from back then were used to build it.

It would be a shame to break it down (maybe you already did). And if you didn't, make it available for a while and let it shine on the real Batavia....

On 10-1-2024 at 09:29, Captain Braunsfeld said:

tag-frontpaged-2019.png

Gefeliciteerd, ik ben behoorlijk onder de indruk! :pir-huzzah2:

oh thanks captain!! What an honor, I'm glad you liked it! prost

On 10-1-2024 at 20:26, MAP Tec said:

WTF! Wat een enorm schip! Goed gedaan:pir-triomf:

On 11-1-2024 at 17:32, NOD said:

Een zeer mooi en indrukwekkend galjoen! :pir-huzzah2:Het is zeer gedetailleerd en nauwkeurig gebouwd. Ik vind vooral de foto's waarop minifiguren te zien zijn erg leuk, omdat duidelijk is hoe groot het schip is.

thanks ,and i also love the minifig ,they couldn't be missing :pir-huzzah2:

On 11-1-2024 at 21:40, The Undo said:

Dit is een indrukwekkend bouwwerk. Geweldige baan! :pir-huzzah2:

On 11-1-2024 at 22:07, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wauw, wat een enorm meesterwerk!:pir-stareyes::pir-wub::pir-triomf:

thanks for nice comment

5 hours ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

Zeer mooie replica van de Batavia. Het lijkt erg op de echte replica die eind jaren tachtig tot ver in de jaren negentig in Lelystad werd gebouwd.
Ik woonde destijds in Lelystad en bezocht vaak de werf waar ze het schip bouwden.
Echt vakmanschap, bij de bouw zijn veel technieken van toen gebruikt.

Het zou zonde zijn om het af te breken (misschien heb je dat al gedaan). En als je dat niet deed, stel hem dan even beschikbaar en laat hem schitteren op de echte Batavia....

5 hours ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

Zeer mooie replica van de Batavia. Het lijkt erg op de echte replica die eind jaren tachtig tot ver in de jaren negentig in Lelystad werd gebouwd.
Ik woonde destijds in Lelystad en bezocht vaak de werf waar ze het schip bouwden.
Echt vakmanschap, bij de bouw zijn veel technieken van toen gebruikt.

Het zou zonde zijn om het af te breken (misschien heb je dat al gedaan). En als je dat niet deed, stel hem dan even beschikbaar en laat hem schitteren op de echte Batavia....

thanks, yes in Lelystad they built a real copy. and they did it really beautifully. It was also very useful for me to see how they did that. There was a lot of information available on the internet. I have a compromise with the woman, because he had to be removed from the living space, the masts removed and stored in the attic . I'm currently building a cutter, so it's a lot smaller and since most of it is finished, I'm going to get around to parts.