Jundis

[MOC] John Deere 317G Compact Track Loader

Hi guys and gals,

here is my new MOC of a John Deere 317G Compact Track Loader in roughly the scale 1:12. I always liked the tracked compact loaders more than the wheeled versions and also liked the linkage system, giving the bucket a more linear up+down movement. But because of this linkage mechanism, I decided against linear actuators for the movement and went with pneumatics instead. The large pneumatic cylinders were a no-brainer for the main arm, but instead of small cylinders for the bucket, I used medium sized ones as I wanted the vehicle to push itself off the ground and had also more range for full tipping when erected.

317G-1.jpg

Controlled by a Control+ Hub with 4 L-Motors, it can perform the basic functions of drive (both tracks indipendently), bucket and arm movement via pneumatic switches (auto valve).

1.jpg

2.jpg

The pneumatic valves are implemented like steering levers within the cabin.

3.jpg

6.jpg

The Hub is easily accessable with two black pins, then the rear can be lifted up.

4.jpg

Here is a short video.

Edited by Jundis

Hats off for achieving such authentic looks and smooth functioning with RC pneumatics! I'd be interested in how you squeezed in 4 motors, 2 auto-valves and the hub in there. Any internal details?

What a beauty :wub: 

So many of the details are absolute class. And the fact that you managed to cram all those motors and functions into such a small yet eye-delighting package is astounding.

Thanks so much for the praise, guys! Really glad you like it! :-)

Here are the internals. The thing is more heavy on the rear due to the battery box. But I had to have a little space for the cable and hoses, so I couldn't place the Hub more forward.

Internals.png

Edited by Jundis

Very well done indeed, simple yet very impressive. I can only agree with what others have said. Also looks to be fun to play with. One motor pump might be too little to properly power two 2x11 cylinders but I doubt there's room in such an already compact build to add more pumps. Also agree that the rope mesh is a very nice detail, excellent work :thumbup:

Fantastic MOC! Love the little detail that the joysticks are attached to the valves and thus move when operating the bucket.

Really awesome.
An absolute good and detailed workout and an eyecatcher

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

Thank you guys :-)

It's really fun to play around. The only thing that bugs me a little bit is the track tension. In my first design, the rear sprocket wheel would have been a stud higher. But with that heavy weight from the battery box, I lowered it. Thus, the track gets a little more tension and the soft springs are nearly totally compressed. Sometimes, the tracks have a slightl resistance when moving with low speed. 

This is my first encounter with electric-pneumatics, what a cool design to use that system with. Are you using the newer valves from Lego? 

I used to run a rubber tire skid steer by Deere doing screw piles. So this is extra cool to see. 

Such a fine model with pneumatics, love it. Even the levers move, i would love to have something like that as a toy and shovel around a pile of bricks. 
Nicely done

59 minutes ago, 2ndgen said:

This is my first encounter with electric-pneumatics, what a cool design to use that system with. Are you using the newer valves from Lego? 

I used to run a rubber tire skid steer by Deere doing screw piles. So this is extra cool to see. 

It's actually not than new of a concept, only the placement of the valve, which is a newer version. As this piece is still missing from stud.io (even though it was introduced in 2018...), there is a mock-up in the colored internal pic some posts above.

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

It's actually not than new of a concept, only the placement of the valve, which is a newer version. As this piece is still missing from stud.io (even though it was introduced in 2018...), there is a mock-up in the colored internal pic some posts above.

Hmm I'll have to try and find some others then, how does the pump work, on this or is it just switched on and off with a separate control as needed ? It does say auto valve, but not sure what that means. 

@Jundis Are you planning to do an instruction? I'm eager to build it. :drool:

Oh and as you use PU with the longer L-Motors, does that mean the shorter PF-Motors are compatible with your Mud-Queen?