Ngoc Nguyen

42179 Planet Earth and Moon in Orbit

Nice idea, actually could be educating.
Buuut..the earth seems off, i mean global warming aside but didn't we have some massive ice shields in the south?

Edited by Ryokeen

So excited for this set!

IMO the orange rings would look better in gold (and the month names would be more readable as well).

I think next year's modular will be an astronomical observatory, and it will contain a globe using the Earth parts.

2 minutes ago, JunkstyleGio said:

but it doesn't appeal to me!

Sure grampa, but you dont need to air it in 3 different threads.

@Ngoc Nguyen you youngster...

But i will.

And even in all 4 of this series.

But I wish to follow this tread anyways. There might be some techniques i will borrow or learn from.

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Lego obviously had to do this, because competitors already have such orreries. Strange however that they used those big domes for the earth and sun. I find the brick build version from the competitors better fitting for a construction toy.

Also strange that they did not use a lot of system parts overall. As Technic fans we can be glad they choose complexity over looks. But I'm not sure it will sell as good as Lego expects. Because it will appeal less to people collecting stylish display models, which, even though it eludes me personally, is a big trend among adult Lego fans. And as for the kids, I'm not sure they are that much interested in the educational aspects, most of them probably prefer action sets.

I like the inclusion of wheels for the base. This gives the possibility for some strange vehicle alternate MOCs.

I think the mechanical aspect of this one will be interesting, cool that they use 3 different sizes of rings, are any of those new? Wonder what else they plan to use all those (half) balls for.. 

21 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I think the mechanical aspect of this one will be interesting, cool that they use 3 different sizes of rings, are any of those new? Wonder what else they plan to use all those (half) balls for.. 

42146 truss elements + half balls = wrecking ball

I can’t wait to see more about it - i love it! I usually don’t care for Technic but this one caught my attention. 

This has to be one of the most original ideas for a Technic set ever. The implementation seems pretty accurate, too, with the Earth's axis tilt, moon etc. I really want to see it in action, this looks like it includes a ton of gears. However, the pricing seems pretty bad compared to the other space sets. And no B-model yet again.

Edited by johnnytifosi

Excellent idea, nice execution.

I'm most interested in the yellow half-spheres, so I have a question to you, eagle-eyed fellows: how big do you think they are? 11L in diameter?

8 minutes ago, dmaclego said:

I'm most interested in the yellow half-spheres, so I have a question to you, eagle-eyed fellows: how big do you think they are? 11L in diameter?

There's a 7-wide frame under it, based on that I'd guess 9L in diameter. And the Earth sphere looks like 5L.

Edited by gyenesvi

6 minutes ago, dmaclego said:

To me those indeed look like 11 studs in diameter. However, I'd rather call the colour bright light orange as you can clearly see a yellow half bush underneath.

3 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

There's a 7-wide frame under it, based on that I'd guess 9L in diameter. And the Earth sphere looks like 5L. 

But the Earth looks like 5L and seems less then half of the Sun...

1 minute ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

To me those indeed look like 11 studs in diameter. However, I'd rather call the colour bright light orange as you can clearly see a yellow half bush underneath.

You're right, of course. Bright Light Orange it is.

Edited by dmaclego

Is this is new parts?

42179-Planet-Earth-and-Moon-in-Orbit-Box

On backside of box, under the earth, you can find those circle thing. Size looks like 3x3 but it must have pin hole in middle for pass through drive axle of earth.

250x250p.jpg?1658328553.571948

Like this but smooth outside and pin hole on middle.

Edited by msk6003

12 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I love this set. Hope it lives up to it's potential.

Lotsa moccin' here,
add Mercurius,Venus, Mars

11 hours ago, Ryokeen said:

didn't we have some massive ice shields in the south?

Well, it seems that Antarctica is visible a bit on the first picture, if that's what you meant?

This looks very good. It's probably going to be the one Technic set I buy this year - I probably can't afford the big crewed Mars rover. I'm impressed by the printing on the Earth globe and I'm glad they tilted the axis of the Earth. However, it doesn't look like they managed to make the Earth spin as it goes around the Sun. I wonder how close the gear ratio between the movement of the Earth around the Sun and the movement of the Moon around the Earth is to the authentic 365/28 ~ 13:1 ratio?

16 minutes ago, icm said:

This looks very good. It's probably going to be the one Technic set I buy this year - I probably can't afford the big crewed Mars rover. I'm impressed by the printing on the Earth globe and I'm glad they tilted the axis of the Earth. However, it doesn't look like they managed to make the Earth spin as it goes around the Sun. I wonder how close the gear ratio between the movement of the Earth around the Sun and the movement of the Moon around the Earth is to the authentic 365/28 ~ 13:1 ratio?

I think they made that, as one of the smaller pictures have a different orientation of the Earth's stand as on the big one (if you mean the fixed axle orbiting). 

Edited by Jockos