Lox Lego

Ferrari F40 - 1:8 Scale - Instructions ready!

Driving Ferrari's twin-turbo exotic is the closest you'll ever come to experiencing a nervous breakdown. Designed to commemorate Ferrari's 40th anniversary, the F40 is highly revered among gearheads.

52708128329_ce1c4483e9_b.jpgFerrari Outdoors - when the sun ☀️ rises by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

And gears ⚙️ it has… this iconic car is true to the original, a 5 speed gearbox + reverse, HOG (manual) steering with working steering wheel, opening doors, hood and engine cover, pop up headlights, opening doors, the classic black stripe and a realistic interior. The framework is solid, the roof can be lifted from the B pillars.

52708355733_c525cdf683_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Using the new Daytona rims, this car looks like a track ready machine. Very cool to be building with new panels and parts, and to understand the design, not your average supercar shaping! Enjoy these white room shots of the #F40 in technic form and scroll thru the photos for all the details! 

52708282935_a62ba6101f_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Rims chromed by @bubul_chrome_ 
Stickers by @fwartstckr 
Printed tires by @brickvisions 

52708361028_cde58baaa0_b.jpgFerrari Outdoors - when the sun ☀️ rises by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

#lego #supercar #newrelease #hdrphotography #moc #influencer #f40#ferrari #classiccar #iconic

52708282925_5f0f510996_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52708282830_bc2ca894c6_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52708282825_20090bf5ea_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52708282820_c05a0ece92_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52708282800_a34f6c8e3e_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52707871481_7910d36c3a_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52707346807_fc920aaf1b_b.jpgFerrari F40 by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Great job. New panels really help to shape better body.

I'm just thinking, why You didn't made real intakes in front, but covered them with black beams? Ok, You could put those beams deeper, now everything is on one level.

Well done again. To me, the most beautiful part of the F40 is what is behind the driver's seat, and you managed the recreate the engine and rear hood perfectly.

Long ago I wanted to make F40 (despite I like 288GTO more). IMHO it is very hard to make better replication of this (now) legendary Ferrari (last one done under Commendatore)

Amazing reproduction of my favorite car! I agree with jorgeopesi about the roof: imo it's a bit too high and curved.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:39 PM, jorgeopesi said:

I think the roof is a little high but great MOC.

Agreed.

It is the first thing that came to my mind.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:54 AM, Milan said:

Frontpaged.

Thanks ! 

On 2/24/2023 at 9:39 AM, jorgeopesi said:

I think the roof is a little high but great MOC.

I totally agree, I have lowered the roof 1 stud, here is the result. Thanks for your advice, coming from the 1:10 king of F40 himself!

52712740230_13f02822f8_b.jpg

52712740245_f48c348fc3_b.jpg

52712302126_b10dfba43c_b.jpg

Edited by Lox Lego

5 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Thanks ! 

I totally agree, I have lowered the roof 1 stud, here is the result. Thanks for your advice, coming from the 1:10 king of F40 himself!

:laugh: I passed some months with mine and still nowadays I am looking for time to repair all the parts I did not like it so IMO it is a very difficult car, and the different size wheels can be one important problem...

Edited by jorgeopesi

The roof indeed looks better a stud lower, but I feel like those curved panels don't really work here. Seeing the overlay photo is nice, but sometimes it can be hard to see what's going on as everything blurs together.

Looking at it like this...
1280x1280.JPG

... shows what I mean a bit better. The real roof is a lot flatter and this curved panels are messing up the lines that flow into the back of the car as well. Maybe some flatter panels like the Lambo Sian would work better? Personally I don't think these wheels match the era of car either but each to there own.

On the positive side, the engine details along with the black stripe along the car is very well done! Good use of the new parts in the front lip as well. Its cool to see you mix it up a bit with a manual model instead of RC as well (although I wouldn't be surprised if an RC version follows as well :wink:)

Great job! Not trying to discredit you or anything, (I don't have anywhere close to the talent required for such a creation), but the real car is way boxier than your MOC, as pointed out by other people too. I think regular System bricks would create a better result, this looks more like a 90s reincarnation of the F40. But then I generally dislike using Technic to recreate real life cars, the end result is always a bit... jagged.

As always, bits and pieces can be discussed. It is Lego, so anyone can make his own mods afterwards - for me, it is the must stunning work from him so far :)

On 2/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, langko said:

The roof indeed looks better a stud lower, but I feel like those curved panels don't really work here. Seeing the overlay photo is nice, but sometimes it can be hard to see what's going on as everything blurs together.

Looking at it like this...

... shows what I mean a bit better. The real roof is a lot flatter and this curved panels are messing up the lines that flow into the back of the car as well. Maybe some flatter panels like the Lambo Sian would work better? Personally I don't think these wheels match the era of car either but each to there own.

On the positive side, the engine details along with the black stripe along the car is very well done! Good use of the new parts in the front lip as well. Its cool to see you mix it up a bit with a manual model instead of RC as well (although I wouldn't be surprised if an RC version follows as well :wink:)

Thanks for this side by side view. You, and many other are right. So I tried to correct it, this will be my last iteration, hope you like it :)

52717917975_4fd935b6b4_b.jpgThe final iteration - roofline corrected by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52717751924_d3b41e5b3a_b.jpgThe final iteration - roofline corrected by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

52717774739_a28bf6364d_b.jpg 

52717940805_1ef7ca3d19_b.jpg

52717998363_0d9612ff13_b.jpg

52717998373_42fab70901_b.jpg 

52717509946_36f43e8235_b.jpg 

52717940835_ceaea5b5e4_b.jpg 

52718016620_c3096300b2_b.jpg

52717851034_9dc2c1a5c3_b.jpg

52717851119_abd8cd5079_b.jpg

52717851129_6662aba937_b.jpg

52717079617_6fb04d2215_b.jpgFerrari F40 - pop up headlights by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

Such a beautiful creation. I so want one. It does help that the real life counterpart is a piece of art. :)

I especially like the darker SP3 wheels and I didn't mind the first iteration of the roof but this last one definitely fits better. Great sculpting all around! Masterfully done, sir.

At first when I saw this MOC I thought the round roofline was kind of awkward. It's great to see it fixed, the model looks beautiful!

I do think there is a lot missing in the front of this model. The front end should be facing straight like the real F40, instead of looking down. As for the headlights, the white bit should be taller than the orange (this could be achieved with a flat 1x2 trans-orange tile and front-facing trans-white 1x1). The red arch in front of the headlights would also look better if it's made a little less curved, and the mirrors would look better IMHO in red, plus longer and rounder. Finally, the front bumper vents on the real F40 are very rounded; the grille's "smile" is a detail I really enjoy myself, as it reflects the car's fun personality. @paave used red macaroni Technic pieces to achieve the rounded vents and smile grille on his 1:10 F40, I think this would benefit from having the same.

I'm quite keen on these details as the F40 is my all-time favorite car.

P.S. Please consider making a BuWizz/RC version. Ever since the Carrera GT I noticed you've made more of a shift to static MOCs with gearboxes, and I would love to see more RC from you! Also, is this MOC mostly made from SP3 parts like your Carrera GT? (Which was 75 percent I believe)

1992-ferrari-f40-auction-copy-tet.jpg

Great job! The flat roof makes a huge difference. I agree with StudWorks that the headlights still need some work since they are the defining characteristic of every car, they should be a bit more square. If you dial them in it would be closer to perfection. Maybe try something like this? Just a dumb suggestion.

Edited by johnnytifosi

Much better indeed. The design has more flow now.

The flat roof completely changes its character, it gets more of the boxiness of the real one, much better this way! Besides the overall continuity of the surfaces is really good in almost all areas.

I wonder if the side of the nose and the doors could be improved a bit? I see you using the 2x5 wing panel with the 2x3 extender on the bottom of the rear side. Could that combination maybe used on the bottom of the nose on the side as well? Would make the bottom edge more aligned to the real one? Also, on the same side section, the area under the flex cable on the edge is a bit fuzzy. It seems to me that a 2x5 winglet could fit in there better maybe?

On the doors, you use 4L + 5L + 9L liftarms. Could that be built with 9L + 9L liftarms to decrease the number of breaks? Or are you using the L part of the 2x4 L shape? Maybe use 13L + 5L in that case, the 5L being an L shape? Also, on the upper rear part of the door, there is that intentional gap above the long wing panel. Behind that there seems to be a short wing panel in black (seen from the inside of the door). How would that look with a red panel behind, more like in the real one?

3 hours ago, StudWorks said:

Finally, the front bumper vents on the real F40 are very rounded; the grille's "smile"

I think sinking the black beam one stud behind would make it look more realistic, and could give space for implementing some kind of curvature.

I hope you don't mind all these suggestions from all the people. Believe me, you get that because the model is soo good that everyone wishes to get it closer to perfection :)

I love critical feedback. 
That roofline is so much better.

The doors are very nice :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Thanks for this side by side view. You, and many other are right. So I tried to correct it, this will be my last iteration, hope you like it :)

Great modification! Looks so much better now, it completely changes the look of the car. I like the details on the inside of the doors too! I noticed in the original roof you had a longer black flex axle at the top of the door.

Now (because of the roof modification) you have a 7l flex axle a long with a 85x85p.jpg?1658325738.4117846 and a 85x85p.jpg?1658325740.463785 . You could potentially replace all 3 parts with a black rigid hose if you wanted a cleaner look. They come in a more variety of lengths and you could probably find one you won't have to cut (maybe a 12l one)

I also agree with some of the comments on the front of the car, it looks a bit flat without the proper cut outs for the vents + the front shouldn't be leaning forward like it is. But that's starting to nitpick and drill into the finer details. Now that you've fixed the roof I'm sure most people would be thrilled to build it the way it is, it's up to you on far you want to go to try and perfect all the little details. Seeing this has definitely inspired me to want to have a go at designing an older era classic car. 

Edited by langko
Spelling