Hi, not been on as much as I would have liked, but spotted this new crane on the lego website which led me to this topic. The first thing I noticed was the new Lattice/Frame parts being used and the serious lack of beams. It's almost a ready made structure which, for me anyway, would takeaway the pleasure of constructing a crane on such a scale. I hope lattice frames are not the future of lego technic. There are too many bespoke parts on this set for me but I look forward to a proper review.

H

14 minutes ago, Lakop said:

Hi, not been on as much as I would have liked, but spotted this new crane on the lego website which led me to this topic. The first thing I noticed was the new Lattice/Frame parts being used and the serious lack of beams. It's almost a ready made structure which, for me anyway, would takeaway the pleasure of constructing a crane on such a scale. I hope lattice frames are not the future of lego technic. There are too many bespoke parts on this set for me but I look forward to a proper review.

H

A bit like those City planes? In ten years it will be impossible to tell the difference between Lego and Playmobil apart from the pricing.

Those 'specialized' lattice frames may in fact hugely improve the building experience for the 'average' builder. I've seen reviews of a certain enormous crane sold by Mouldy King, and common complaints are that building the booms from many standard parts is 'super boring' and even 'like hell'.

After looking a bit more on pictures of the base, I noticed that that is full of frames as well. Both the undercarriage and the superstructure. To that point that I wonder why this crane had to be so big. I wonder how much of the functionality would just as well have fit in a smaller package. Is this big because the functions require the size, or is it big just to show off?

21 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

After looking a bit more on pictures of the base, I noticed that that is full of frames as well. Both the undercarriage and the superstructure. To that point that I wonder why this crane had to be so big. I wonder how much of the functionality would just as well have fit in a smaller package. Is this big because the functions require the size, or is it big just to show off?

In one of the construction pics, I counted 13 of the yellow 19x3 frames and multiple DBG ones, this thing should be really structurally sound. 

In my opinion, Lego wanted to make this thing as sturdy as possible and therefor had to shrink the size. Maybe even Michael Kossmann himself was unsatisfied with the sagging of the lower structure of the 42100 and wanted to eliminate this as much as possible with the help of the new frames.

But yes, Lego wants to show off. "Biggest" "Largest" ... I'd rather see 3 medium sized sets with each 1000 pieces than this behemoth.

16 hours ago, howitzer said:

Any idea when we can expect actual reviews?

August 1st?

4 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

a competitor

This is Champions League though ... don't know where TLG is playing :pir-skel:

Best,
Thorsten 

7 hours ago, astyanax said:

Those 'specialized' lattice frames may in fact hugely improve the building experience for the 'average' builder. I've seen reviews of a certain enormous crane sold by Mouldy King, and common complaints are that building the booms from many standard parts is 'super boring' and even 'like hell'.

This is a very good point. The Titanic is a great 9000+ piece build but the Colosseum is a terrible 9000+ piece build. The difference is repetition, the Colosseum has tons of repetition where as the Titanic does not. I think these frames will do a great job of reducing that.

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Best,
Thorsten 

As for me AND for quality I vote for Fischer.
Too bad that it is taken from the toyshops here, still available online but kids won't discover it.

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

If you make it smaller but keep all the same functionality, including its PU electronics, it would still be very expensive but smaller, the size would decrease much faster than the price, so I guess it needs to be a certain size and level of impressiveness to justify its PU components and the price tag that comes with them. 

1 hour ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

As for me AND for quality I vote for Fischer.

I am 100% with you ... and you are right, hard to find ... and rather expensive as well. But: Champions League.

Best,
Thorsten

6 hours ago, Toastie said:

Mitropa Cup? :laugh:

22 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Mitropa Cup?

Had to look it up - I'm bad, terrible, when it comes to soccer - but: Yes. That resonates :pir-laugh:

Best,
Thorsten

Eighteen months of fevered speculation, rumour and build up and this is what TLG come out with!  Really?!?! And they have the nerve to ask almost £600.

Least they could have done is include another couple of feet of boom.

Its not really that different to 42042 except that a large proportion of the pieces are single use only - very disappointing TLG

2 hours ago, Plumber said:

a large proportion of the pieces are single use only

I believe we'll see them used many more times, in different colours, and not just in Technic: for example, the A-frame is already available in brown in a Ninjago set. In terms of reusability, these girder frames are a lot better than the ones made for the Airbus' swashplate.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

I believe we'll see them used many more times, in different colours, and not just in Technic: 

Perhaps, but I don't think it would be in any number that would really lead to them being plentiful enough for MOCing.  Really, if we want to see them affordable they will have to be used in another big set like this one.  

I really really hope we see a tower crane in the future out of these parts.  I don't think this has ever been done before as a main set.  I think these new parts lend themselves highly amenable for a tower crane.  

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Perhaps, but I don't think it would be in any number that would really lead to them being plentiful enough for MOCing.  Really, if we want to see them affordable they will have to be used in another big set like this one.  

I really really hope we see a tower crane in the future out of these parts.  I don't think this has ever been done before as a main set.  I think these new parts lend themselves highly amenable for a tower crane.  

Tower crane has been on my wishlist for a long time, and while it would've made one helluva boring build previously, these new parts should remedy that and allow the release of something that's never before been done properly in Technic. Yeah, there have been a B-model or two, but a tower crane should really be done properly as the main model.

---

So, it just showed up on my local go-to retailer for 550€.

That's quite a lot still, but less than I expected.

Edited by howitzer

Even though it's available in DK for around 510 euro (retail here is 710 euro), I think it's too expensive 😔

People has totally forgot to whine about missing B-model because of the outrageous price tag 😂

Edited by mortenm

The more I think about it the better 42042 "crawler crane" seems. Especially by comparison. The price of 42146 would buy a MISB 42042 if that's what you want, plus enough extra parts to rebuild it to the larger scale and then quite a lot more. Using actual beams and whatnot, rather than playmobil parts. Not to mention that train weights are available on PaB right now.

I'm kind of sad, I was hoping this would be worth while even with Control Plus.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:26 PM, Lakop said:

It's almost a ready made structure which, for me anyway, would takeaway the pleasure of constructing a crane

:thumbup:

Option A: Buy this *huh*

Option B: Find the instructions for the BWE 42055 and build it again in all its glorious magnificence.... And then spend £100 on the new stronger diffs, new-ish clutch gear and some wide tracks and MOC like the fury. £500 better off and having more fun.:wub:

On 7/4/2023 at 6:20 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

The outer sides of the half beams are recessed inward, which isn’t seen in that CAD model. It should be significantly lighter.

Yes, I am down to 9.1g now with the recessed half beams. Looks much better too. But I didn't add the 2 ugly spue marks at the ends of the diagonal supports. ;)
Z5zqDt9.png

PH6fmJ9.pngx4ZjaWI.png

So it looks like there are two types of truss beams, 5×19 and 7×19. That makes things a little more interesting....room for extra strengthening here and there.

Edited by The Southern Brickfan