15 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Has anybody heard anything further about the rumoured expert-level Hogwarts Express?

I've been wondering the same. It if ends up being as detailed as the recent Creator Expert Trains, I will snap it up immediately! 

19 hours ago, XG BC said:

in my opinion the passenger train looks weird and out of proportion. the nose lenght doesnt match the rest of the front car. it looks so much better redesigned as @JayCal did in his/her "nose jobs" thread. i actually like the redesigned version with a different nose.

I think it will be about the same nose size as the horizon express... Especially when you look at its side profile. I do agree that it looks weird on the boxart.

I honestly don't think the Jaycal redesign looks good... :def_shrug:

Edited by Polarlicht

Just found this promo video by LEGO on yt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk-bwT29MLE&t=5s

The Passenger Train's Lime seems to be a reason for concern: I spot at least 3 different shades of lime on the train car alone :/ I hope this will not be the case in the final product.

Edit: Corrected a typo.

Edited by Hermes Mocs

They have lime colour variations with their Lamborghini Sian supercar set.  It would seem it is a feature now available on lower priced sets.  :classic:

14 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

They have lime colour variations with their Lamborghini Sian supercar set.  It would seem it is a feature now available on lower priced sets.  :classic:

Yes, I know. There also was a lime green issue a decade ago with some Bionicle joints. But one could have thought after the public backlash on the Lamborghini, they would have tackled the issue on something as prominent as a train car :/ I just hope the issue is not as prominent on my preorder :D Otherwise customer service will have to replace some parts with my order! Hahaha

Edited by Hermes Mocs

18 minutes ago, Hermes Mocs said:

There also was a lime green issue a decade ago with some Bionicle joints.

Since I originally thought this train is orange - absolutely no problems with color issues here :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

13 hours ago, Hermes Mocs said:

Yes, I know. There also was a lime green issue a decade ago with some Bionicle joints. But one could have thought after the public backlash on the Lamborghini, they would have tackled the issue on something as prominent as a train car :/ I just hope the issue is not as prominent on my preorder :D Otherwise customer service will have to replace some parts with my order! Hahaha

I would not expect them to fix anything ;> I did receive like ~60 parts from Lego for Lambo and only some did match enough to be used. You can always try (what I will defenitely do) but do not have any hopes ;)

On 5/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, Polarlicht said:

I think it will be about the same nose size as the horizon express... Especially when you look at its side profile. I do agree that it looks weird on the boxart.

I honestly don't think the Jaycal redesign looks good... :def_shrug:

thats how different people are i guess.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:47 PM, XG BC said:

in my opinion the passenger train looks weird and out of proportion. the nose lenght doesnt match the rest of the front car. it looks so much better redesigned as @JayCal did in his/her "nose jobs" thread. i actually like the redesigned version with a different nose.

Thanks man! It was meant to be "just an alternative" to people who dislike another super aerodynamic design. Free instructions might be released in future ;-) 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:38 AM, Toastie said:

Since I originally thought this train is orange - absolutely no problems with color issues here :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

Thorsten, you're color-blind!  *huh**oh2*:laugh_hard:

31 minutes ago, ivanlan9 said:

Thorsten, you're color-blind!  *huh**oh2*:laugh_hard:

Yes Sir - and quite the blindness :pir-huzzah2: My wife recently asked me, whether there was any special meaning behind sending green hearts in WhatsApp messages ... Oh man. No problem on my Windows laptop as their PowerTools have this color picker thingy - but other than that: Trial and error :D

Best,
Thorsten

Almost time for the new releases…!

Also, this video from Smyths popped up a few days ago:

Edited by M_slug357
added video link

As person that doesn't really have a train setup but I do have a couple of trains, I really like this one, so far anyway. That side view makes it look much better than that front view. I like the colors, the long cars, with doors and as far as the nose goes, if I don't like it, I can easily change it.

Also a bit surprised that with inflation jacking up prices worldwide, I am really surprised it isn't a little more expensive, they seem to have no problem inflating prices in other themes this year.

12 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Also a bit surprised that with inflation jacking up prices worldwide, I am really surprised it isn't a little more expensive, they seem to have no problem inflating prices in other themes this year.

Prices/design budget are probably decided at least many months if not a year or more before official set reveals.

I have a feeling 2023 onward will have a more noticeable increase, or even adjustments on existing sets like 2022 adjusted a lot of prices in Euro and UK , both up and down. (3-in-1 Pirate ship increased by €20 , while it was an existing set from 2020)

That said, at this point it can vary so much per theme/set per region.

Edited by TeriXeri

Anyone excited yet? Haven't shared my opinion yet, not that it matters, but I like both passenger and cargo train A LOT. last waves cargo train wasn't for me though and I am glad this one is exciting. I must say in my opinion 90% of the criticism I heard was unreasonable (too little track, only one point, fewer trackside buildings than during 9v era?!) and it seems like according to criticism before (!) Info got out, lego did everything right this time. Everything. Doors, many pieces for the actual trains, light included, lots of straight track, etc... 

The station is not too much to my liking but that's due to the architecture and that it doesn't seem to be easily expandable like 7937 or this one no-one liked (together during the white High speed train). Not sure if I'll get it, just recently got the yellow mid-old one and expanded the platform. 

I am just uncertain as to whether I should get 2x passenger train ASAP "to do my part" and show demand, or to get it during double vip points or similar. We'll see. 

I am looking forward and thing the passenger train will look great on fx track's r88 curves. 

Happy building to all

Edited by Sunil766
Typo

I just realized that the Freight Train has 400 more pieces than the Passenger Train and only $10 more.

Just was looking at the pdf instructions for the new train sets on the LEGO instructions app (they're up already there, and probably being added to the LEGO customer service site soon also), and I'm really impressed with some of the details I'm seeing there!

I'm so glad that the passenger train has a nice cafe car with a coffee machine, hot dogs, croissants, etc. Gives me nice flashbacks to dining on Amtrak, though I know that's probably a vastly inferior experience to a fancy high-speed train like this one! The little stickered overhead displays showing the speed of the train (303 km/h) are also a very neat feature that sets this apart from past train sets. And for the first train to use those new-ish trailer base pieces as a carriage base, it certainly does a nice job showcasing how much more interior space they can create!
No bathroom, though, which is quite a bummer considering how increasingly commonplace they've become in other sets, even vehicle sets like airliners. I suppose if you doubled up the train's length to get a locomotive on each end, you could also remove the second cafe care to create space for a bathroom. Again, though, this is mostly coming from my perspective as an American who's mostly used to traveling up and down the east coast on much slower Amtrak passenger trains. Maybe on high-speed trains like this it'd be easier to get from your origin to your destination without needing to stop for a bathroom break.

The freight train is the least interesting set of this wave to me personally (I'm just more into passenger trains due to having more firsthand experience with them). But this is definitely a very cool and unique one when compared to its predecessors! I'm glad to see that there IS space to add Powered Up lights to the locomotive behind the left and right headlights if you so choose, particularly since that's an option not offered by the 2014 and 2018 cargo trains. Also, somewhat embarrassingly, I'd missed the quarter-circle tile for the center headlights every time I looked through the images of this set previously — very nice use of geometry there! There's no space for a light brick behind that one, but it's still a very nifty detail compared to the simpler square and circular headlights we're used to.

The open wagon is a simple build, but a very effective one IMO. I remain impressed by the clever use of the hinge pieces from the Vidiyo beatboxes for its side panels! Maybe it's just cuz I'm not a train builder myself, but I never would have thought of those as a useful train part. I'm also now realizing that both the containers and the flatbed also use those new curved-top parts from 41951 and 41592 in Black for the first time to help secure the cargo! I guess that's another detail I'd overlooked in my eagerness to focus on the passenger train and station. The car carrier is also nice, and I'm also only now noticing that the sides which fold up and down are not just side walls to protect the car on the lower level from debris, but also locks to hold the support arms for the upper level in place when the train is in motion. Pretty clever there!

I'd already mostly figured out the details of the train station build by rebuilding it on stud.io based on the official pics and 360-degree turnaround. The instructions allow me to see a few errors I made (which I can now correct), but mostly minor ones that don't change my overall positive impression of the set. The bus also has a neat digital display showing its destination on the inside, similar to the one on the outside, but otherwise no big surprises there.

In general, I remain VERY impressed with this wave of train sets, and would be very tempted to get some of them (perhaps even all three) to create my own train layout, if only I had space in my apartment for one! Perhaps if I end up feeling like I'd really, really regret missing out on them, I can pick them up to build and display just the trains and station individually, and put off making a full layout until my wife finishes her PhD and we are ready to move into a bigger home.

Edited by Aanchir

Just bought the 2022 Lego Train + Station, haven't been this excited about a Lego Train set since they re-released the Metroliner set 10001 20+yrs ago.

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

While a brand new set ,Passenger Train price will go up €10 , to €160 next September according to Stonewars list : https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-preiserhoehung-september-2022/#liste-der-sets-die-teurer-werden

That might just be for Europe. In the USA the new set prices are already much much MUCH higher than the Europe prices.

Nothing makes the wallet say ouch more than new train sets…!

Check out this High Quality Review!

:sarcasm_smug:

Edited by M_slug357

On 5/31/2022 at 11:59 PM, Aanchir said:

Gives me nice flashbacks to dining on Amtrak

Snicker snicker, I've barely ridden Amtrak in 20 years but seeing the writers in Trains Magazine lament the loss of dining car service on several trains it seems odd to see this statement. But I too have found memories, in my case from childhood, of going to the Amtrak dining car and having a nice sit down meal while on the train, and I especially liked hiding out in the lounge car playing pickup card games while eating junk food from the counter service.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Snicker snicker, I've barely ridden Amtrak in 20 years but seeing the writers in Trains Magazine lament the loss of dining car service on several trains it seems odd to see this statement.

Fair, fair. The Northeast Regional is the main line I used over the past couple decades, primarily for traveling between college and family members' homes during breaks (up to a nine hour trip, depending on how far I was traveling). And it did have a cafe car, although it was only open during certain legs of the trip, and didn't have classy sit-down meal service like a proper dining car or restaurant car — just a counter where you could order from a limited selection of meals, drinks, and snacks, plus a few tables that I rarely used (since I prefer to sit with my luggage).

I know Amtrak's DEFINITELY seen much better days, and by now it falls far short of a lot of European and Asian rail lines. I'm not at all mistaking it for any sort of luxury experience! But as mundane an experience as those trips were, I still feel pretty sentimental about them, and certainly prefer them over traveling that same distance by car or bus. :blush:

I think the last time I rode Amtrak was about 5 years ago, took the regional train from Pittsburgh to Altoona- Amfleet with a snack bar. The hotdog was a life saver on the return trip. To tell the truth though, it was better than the food service (or lack thereof) to be had on many of the regional trains I road in England.

New information from Promobricks regarding the Hogwarts Express set. The large display base and the huge amount of minifigs seem to inflate the price quite a bit. 

"The Hogwarts Express itself is only a few centimeters shorter than the track on which it stands (90 to 100 cm). A small data plate with the most important information about the train can be attached to the base of the platform. The train consists of the well-known red steam engine with a tender and unfortunately only one passenger car. This has a total of four red train doors and three compartments in which scenes from various films are shown."

Source: https://www-promobricks-de.translate.goog/lego-76405-hogwarts-express-vorschau/145260/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp