MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I’m not even a LEGO Star Wars fan but I feel bad for all of you dealing with a team I feel is severely out of touch with their fans lmao

5 minutes ago, Modal said:

I’m not even a LEGO Star Wars fan but I feel bad for all of you dealing with a team I feel is severely out of touch with their fans lmao

download (3).jpeg

29 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

Also, what’s the deal with helmets and the May UCS being leaked before the full January 2022 set list? That’s just weird, I have my fingers painfully crossed for Rex’s blue Y-Wing.

I also have those fingers crossed! Looking forward to the playset list…

I don’t normally buy UCS… so I can sit back and enjoy the memes on this one 😅

So far it’s looking like a very cheap start to 2022! (Which is great because 2021 was a big one!)

Edited by AusChris

19 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Also, a valid point.... Does iconic=desired ucs set? :look:

This point exactly. Is the landspeeder iconic? Very much so, is it deserved to get a UCS of it? No. A slave 1, Snowspeeder, Falcon, Star Destroyer, A-Wing are all iconic and deserved UCS sets. Meanwhile the Land Speeder is simply not UCS caliber if you know what I mean. Oh and Lego somehow thought it was a good idea to do a $200 Landspeeder :facepalm:

Edited by LemonFlavouredBleach

1 minute ago, Fuppylodders said:

download (3).jpeg

Technically it would be a new ship/craft/land vehicle/ IDK, LOL!

I always wondered when I would stop buying UCS sets, due to space, size, cost, etc. This may be a good time to jump ship!

Keep in mind the Imperial Shuttle was rumored and it ended up being the Cantina. The AT-AT was also originally rumored as a Death Star. Idon't think this rumor is going to pan out. 

5 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Keep in mind the Imperial Shuttle was rumored and it ended up being the Cantina. The AT-AT was also originally rumored as a Death Star. Idon't think this rumor is going to pan out. 

That's a good point. While I think the deathstar rumour was simply an assumption people made based on the previous one retiring so close, and it having replaced the previous iteration immediately prior to that; leading to a potentially logical conclusion that turned out incorrect, the ucs shuttle one came from no assumption that I'm aware of, and perhaps actually was purposely incorrectly fed information to track leaks? (I'm kind of always overthinking things, so I'm probably way off on this. But, it's what I'd do. I'd take it as far as possible too, to make it look real to the people involved) 

6 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

This is what I'm thinking.

Is it iconic = yes

Is it ucs material = not really.

Do I want it = nope

Is it hilarious = yep

Even if I don't want it, I really wanna see it, just to what they would do with it. It is the smallest and least appropriate ucs idea. And that makes it fascinating to me.

6 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Good point, though I am excited for the UCS landspeeder.

Its not an exciting choice but there are a lot of details the system sets don't really capture. There is also an opportunity for a nicely detailed interior, which would be visible in a landspeeder, unlike other UCS sets which are normally spacecraft.

If it does eventuate the Lego SW fanbase will need a new UCS set to joke about - UCS First Order AT ST perhaps?

If this is real the only thing that would actually interest me would be a premium C-3PO with duel molded leg (whichever one has the silver), and arm / side leg printing akin to the polybag for ep VII. 2-3 years ago I would have expected this, but the A-wing Pilot and Clone Commander are showing a trend away from that UCS extra detailing.

"This is not the UCS set we are looking for".

1 minute ago, Archer said:

If this is real the only thing that would actually interest me would be a premium C-3PO with duel molded leg (whichever one has the silver), and arm / side leg printing akin to the polybag for ep VII. 2-3 years ago I would have expected this, but the A-wing Pilot and Clone Commander are showing a trend away from that UCS extra detailing.

I would appreciate a nicely detailed C3PO. I have the polybag version but would appreciate the nicer looking OT minifigure with side printing

1 minute ago, Stuartn said:

If it does eventuate the Lego SW fanbase will need a new UCS set to joke about - UCS First Order AT ST perhaps?

You mean the one with no body? :laugh: Or it'd have to be a UCS jar jar bust. 

I mean, could they do a great job on it? Most certainly! 

Would it be highly detailed with cool building techniques? Heck yeah. 

Would it have a few neat little functions? Damn straight it would (removable engine access panels, light saber storage hole perhaps). 

Will it make the majority of ucs fans look at it and go 'sorry wife/kids, we're gonna starve for the next 2 weeks while my wallet recovers from this awesome beast'? Will it make anyone other than the most hardcore SW fan look at it and without question or hesitation drop $200 on it? Will it make people queue up outside the shop early morning to beat the mad rush of other fans queueing up for a chance to snap up a copy? 

Probably not. 

Will it make partners buy their opposites a 'it's a SW spaceship so it must be good!' present while their partner wishes they got socks instead? Well... Right now... I need more socks. And have no partner. So I'll buy socks for me instead of this. 

Will scalpers buy it in the hopes it sells sooo bad, it gets eol'd quicker than I can buy a pair of socks off amazon, so they can mark it up and ride on the fact it wasn't available for as long as other ucs sets? 

Highly likely.... 

(all assumptions but, I genuinely feel I'm not far wrong except the odd few that genuinely do want a UCS landspeeder). 

So, if this sells horrendously, does this mean no more OT ucs sets and more PT? 

I mean, that's how they put it (other way round) for the Republic gunship... 

1 hour ago, Bobbtom said:

...Satan, really? No one called them that or anything close. Hearing people complain about what lego does sometimes can get annoying, but frankly I don't understand why people whiteknight or simp for a corporation.

...it's an exaggeration? Of course no one literally called them satan, my point is all these comments that are so upset and angry at lego for...making sets that aren't pt or mandalorian. (Again, remember there were calls for the designers to be fired because one of them mispoke about the film the gunship was from, and yes there were calls for them to be fired, you can find implications in this thread and much more explicit calls on other media sites). Also, I'm not "simping", I'm just pointing out that people are being unrealistic in that they expect lego to exist for specifically them. Since this isn't the first time people have implied this, here are some choices lego made I don't like, off the top of my head: (in a spoiler for space conservation as it is a longish list.)

Spoiler

I thought getting the droid gunship and the kashyyyk walker in 2019 was a bad idea, we got them in 2014 and there are much better vehicles they could have made at that price point.

The cara dune figure is not accurate and then they were lazy and didn't fix it in 2021.

they need to have a p2 helmet with holes in the sides and should have done it in summer 2020 instead of another new KoR helmet mold.

"boba fett's starship" (Which I guess technically isn't their fault, idk)

Stud shooters (at least the handheld ones, as they can't just be taken off without needing to replace them with normal blasters). I have not met a single child that finds them fun, and they don't look good.

The mustafar duel set was poorly built and the colors made it look terrible.

The entire microfighters line annoys me, with rare exceptions (dewback and bantha) it's not system scaled, and in many cases it's a smaller version of a set released a couple waves beforehand. Especially given now that there's juniors sets and more affordable starfighters, there's not really a place for them. Small sets of a playscale location or vehicle with a figure or two would work much better, in my opinion.

There need to be many more endor sets

They recently fixed this, but the increasingly high cost of starfighters was a serious issue I had with them for a good few years.

On a similar note, the falcon is way too expensive and I think a smaller version could be made well for $100ish.

We have not had a plain p2 clone in 7 years despite many sets releasing that could have included one. For a major "character" of the prequels, they need a figure.

There are some other ones about certain sets and how they marketed things that I strongly dislike (most importantly, how they handled bionicle g2 and how little faith they had in it), but since they're not about star wars I'll leave them out.

The point is, I have my issues with lego, but I don't say that the lack of endor sets is because they don't like ROTJ. That is to say, I don't draw conclusions that the sets I personally want not being made is because lego doesn't care about the fans, or is anti-(insert film).

58 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

...it's an exaggeration? Of course no one literally called them satan, my point is all these comments that are so upset and angry at lego for...making sets that aren't pt or mandalorian. (Again, remember there were calls for the designers to be fired because one of them mispoke about the film the gunship was from, and yes there were calls for them to be fired, you can find implications in this thread and much more explicit calls on other media sites). Also, I'm not "simping", I'm just pointing out that people are being unrealistic in that they expect lego to exist for specifically them. Since this isn't the first time people have implied this, here are some choices lego made I don't like, off the top of my head: (in a spoiler for space conservation as it is a longish list.)

Reveal hidden contents

I thought getting the droid gunship and the kashyyyk walker in 2019 was a bad idea, we got them in 2014 and there are much better vehicles they could have made at that price point.

The cara dune figure is not accurate and then they were lazy and didn't fix it in 2021.

they need to have a p2 helmet with holes in the sides and should have done it in summer 2020 instead of another new KoR helmet mold.

"boba fett's starship" (Which I guess technically isn't their fault, idk)

Stud shooters (at least the handheld ones, as they can't just be taken off without needing to replace them with normal blasters). I have not met a single child that finds them fun, and they don't look good.

The mustafar duel set was poorly built and the colors made it look terrible.

The entire microfighters line annoys me, with rare exceptions (dewback and bantha) it's not system scaled, and in many cases it's a smaller version of a set released a couple waves beforehand. Especially given now that there's juniors sets and more affordable starfighters, there's not really a place for them. Small sets of a playscale location or vehicle with a figure or two would work much better, in my opinion.

There need to be many more endor sets

They recently fixed this, but the increasingly high cost of starfighters was a serious issue I had with them for a good few years.

On a similar note, the falcon is way too expensive and I think a smaller version could be made well for $100ish.

We have not had a plain p2 clone in 7 years despite many sets releasing that could have included one. For a major "character" of the prequels, they need a figure.

There are some other ones about certain sets and how they marketed things that I strongly dislike (most importantly, how they handled bionicle g2 and how little faith they had in it), but since they're not about star wars I'll leave them out.

The point is, I have my issues with lego, but I don't say that the lack of endor sets is because they don't like ROTJ. That is to say, I don't draw conclusions that the sets I personally want not being made is because lego doesn't care about the fans, or is anti-(insert film).

This is really tone-deaf cause it's not like ROTJ came out last year and Lego's not making sets; it's nearly 40 years old. CW, Mandalorian, and BB all came out relatively recently and haven't gotten nearly as much love as OT sets. Also, I really like Hoth so I'm incredibly happy with this wave but the release window it's happening in is bad cause we've had so much new SW media that going back to ESB is illogical. 

Also, now exaggeration is allowed but not aimed at Lego because the multi-billion dollar corporation and its designers who don't read or care about this forum will be fired. I promise you Lego will not fire anyone cause user671829828 said he was upset over a Lego leak in a youtube comment section; so no need to constantly defend them and take everything literally. 

2 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Counterpoint: the Death Star was never a legitimate rumour but because people can’t tell the difference between legit and fake sources the lie ran wild. 

AT-AT driver helmet just sounds like a recolour of the TIE Pilot. Hopefully Luke’s helmet isn’t the cancelled one, that’s the one I want the most. Mando could be cool if it’s done in silver.

Hoth AT-ST is welcome news, especially since I said I wanted an ESB version of the walker in another thread not to long ago. Hopefully with the 18+ and the price tag they actually do it to scale and with the correct shaping for once, LEGO AT-STs usually resemble AT-STs but they get a lot of it wrong. 

Landspeeder is a complete joke. I’ve got almost all of the UCS sets since 2012 but this might be one that I skip. You just know they’re gonna turn around and say “whenever we go online we see so many people talking about a UCS Landspeeder”. We knew it wouldn’t be a prequel UCS but I was really hoping it would be a TIE Advanced or a TIE Interceptor since the original models look so inaccurate with their wings and colour choices. It’s gonna make the B-Wing sales look amazing by comparison. And you just know they’re gonna sneak in arm printing on 3PO and give Luke the poncho and the hat. Sigh, at least it’s something new but that’s no excuse for it to be overpriced and boring. 

Edited by Brikkyy13

A big properly detailed Luke's Landspeeser doesn't sound bad, but $200 seems overboard. You could make a nice big model of it for $100 or $150. I suppose UCS necessarily equals a minimum price point now though, since the last time they did a $100 UCS it was disastrous.

But like some have said, the leaked info has been getting slightly sketchier. We had a Delorean that turned out to be a Pickup Truck, Peach's Castle which turned out to be the N64 Block, etc. Maybe this is an MBS Lars Homestead that includes a Landspeeder.

On another point, if they truly are waiting on sales figures from the Gunship before greenlighting more prequel UCS sets, it'd make sense that we wouldn't see another one until 2023 if the Gunship is successful. Even if they have some sketch models kicking around, it takes time to ready things and get them into production.

I'm honestly kinda intrigued to see what LEGO can do with this Landspeeder set (assuming the rumors are true). The way I see it, LEGO has done all of the main OT ships and vehicles (with the AT-AT coming this fall), so it makes sense to do some of the semi-iconic smaller vehicles from that trilogy. 

While I know a lot of people want more prequel UCS sets (though I don't really hear about many people desiring sequel UCS sets (which I feel would have some pretty cool vehicles)), the fact is that LEGO seems to really want to focus on the older adult market with these sets. Yes, people who watched CW and the sequel trilogy are going to be 20ish now depending (at least), and I'm sure they will get UCS sets in their time, but for now, LEGO has a track record of OT UCS sets selling well, and I think they want to maintain that for their "collectors" line. Like they said (however you want to get annoyed with how they phrased it (whether rightfully so or not-I'm not going to start a discussion about this) ), the Gunship is going to tell them a lot about prequel UCS sales. This isn't to start a discussion about the gunship. It is to say that they have a point. 

From a business perspective, LEGO has been selling OT UCS sets quite well - to the point where they can remake an R2-D2 set from 2012 and very few people really complained that it "took a UCS slot." They haven't had much in the way of prequel sets. It's kinda a "if it ain't broke" situation for them. The gunship is a way of testing the waters to see if large scale UCS prequel sets can do well by making a very iconic vehicle from the prequels and CW (which is pertinent right now). 

Another way I was thinking about it was that the Landspeeder is Star Wars version of the Aston Martin or the VW bug. It's the closest to an "iconic car" that Star Wars has, and they know how well that kind of simple but nicely designed vehicle sells, so they are just expanding that to the Star Wars line with this vehicle to test (not that they have many other speeders they could really do). It's honestly an understandable business choice with a well-known vehicle that many people recognize and/or have seen real versions of at exhibits around the world. It also gives opportunity for a lot of really cool building techniques. 

1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

Maybe this is an MBS Lars Homestead that includes a Landspeeder.

While this would be cool, I don't see it happening so soon after the Cantina (another Tatooine MBS). I certainly wouldn't object to a nice Lars Homestead though.

3 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

While this would be cool, I don't see it happening so soon after the Cantina (another Tatooine MBS). I certainly wouldn't object to a nice Lars Homestead though.

I don't actually see it happening in that format either, just making the point that all info needs to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt (or sand). They've got to know we want Beru after all these years!

1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

I don't actually see it happening in that format either, just making the point that all info needs to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt (or sand). They've got to know we want Beru after all these years!

I hate sand... 

Yeah. I don't know that it would really happen either way, but we'll see. The release of Ben's hut made me more hopeful for a set like that. 

You have GOT to be be kidding me... Is the LEGO Star Wars team becoming self parody?! Do they just see people talking about Luke's Landspeeder all the time and think people actually wanted a UCS of one without realizing it's become a meme? It's astounding to be getting this lackluster of a wave after the extraordinary Mandalorian/Clone Wars one we just got.

Y'know, while I'm sick to death of constant OT stuff every year, there are some sets we desperately need remakes of that astoundingly never get made like Vader's TIE Advanced X1(I'm still kicking myself not getting the Rebels set with Vader's TIE and the prototype A-Wing, it goes for astronomical prices on bricklink), TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, etc. There's also some classic OT ships that have NEVER been made such has Home One, LEGO has such a massive catalog of rounded pieces nowadays that it could be done easily as a playset similar to the System Star Destroyers we usually get.

Edited by ToaDraco

27 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Counterpoint: the Death Star was never a legitimate rumour but because people can’t tell the difference between legit and fake sources the lie ran wild. 

I don't think it was even a fake rumor, really. Just people speculating that it might be that since there aren't many other candidates that could justify a piece count that high. I'm sure some people interpreted that as a rumor, since there seems to be a crowd out there that takes every word that gets said on these forums as prophecy, but I don't remember seeing anybody here who thought that was meant to be anything concrete.

20 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

There was a recent interview with the design team around when the summer wave got announced at Lego Con. For the life of me I can't remember which site posted it but they did mention they're aware Beru still hasn't gotten a minifigure yet and ended somewhere along the lines of "we can't comment on upcoming product but keep an eye out for the future".

20 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I hate sand... 

Yeah. I don't know that it would really happen either way, but we'll see. The release of Ben's hut made me more hopeful for a set like that. 

For me it was the 18+ Darth Vader's Meditation Chamber set. Could definitely see them doing the homestead entry hut on a black display stand with a small sand dune for the Binary Sunset scene.

One thing I'm wondering: the instagram post from promobricks where the rumor originated says, "Check out promobricks.de for detailed set descriptions!" However, as of my typing this post, I still find no rumor story posted to the promobricks.de website. Is that normal?

And, as with every set, I'll wait to decide until I see a UCS Landspeeder to make a call on it. Could be pretty cool, who knows.