Jim

Technic General Discussion

Hello! Who knows - I did an order at bricks & pieces 4 days ago, just 30 minuts ago parcel came, but the was not all parts - will the rest come later?

8 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Hello! Who knows - I did an order at bricks & pieces 4 days ago, just 30 minuts ago parcel came, but the was not all parts - will the rest come later?

Yeah, they ship the bestseller parts and other parts separately, with bestsellers moving much, much faster than the rest. I made an order 21.1., with both kinds, and the bestsellers were delivered in a week or so and I still haven't heard of the other parts. They say it will take 28 working days maximum for the non-bestsellers to be delivered, which means there's still a little more than a week before that time is up.

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

Yeah, they ship the bestseller parts and other parts separately, with bestsellers moving much, much faster than the rest. I made an order 21.1., with both kinds, and the bestsellers were delivered in a week or so and I still haven't heard of the other parts. They say it will take 28 working days maximum for the non-bestsellers to be delivered, which means there's still a little more than a week before that time is up.

Thank you very much!

And just take into consideration that my parcel from November got lost - I still got nothing. They refunded and resent the order - but again nothing.

So I made another order 4 days ago aaaaand it coms partially! :)

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

By coincidence I also did an order on 21/1 and my non-bestseller parts arrived yesterday, so I would imagine yours should arrive shortly.  Unlike the bestseller parts, I didn't have any communication from Lego that they had shipped, they just turned up unexpectedly!

2 hours ago, RiGi said:

By coincidence I also did an order on 21/1 and my non-bestseller parts arrived yesterday, so I would imagine yours should arrive shortly.  Unlike the bestseller parts, I didn't have any communication from Lego that they had shipped, they just turned up unexpectedly!

Now that you mention it, I actually got an email about a receipt for my order few days ago. Previously there has been about 5 days between the receipt and the package arriving, so perhaps it's here soon.

Placed my order mid January and got my shipping notice 7 days ago. I don’t remember how long it takes to get to USA but I think it took 2 weeks after shipping last time.

I had an invoice on 3rd December for standard parts that I had ordered 20/11 but the charge to my card was not finalized and disappeared a few days later and I received no shipping notice. The orders both showed as in review on my account, the bestseller parts were shipped and received a few days later but still no standard parts. I received no reply to my query through the website so called last week and they have just made a new order for me to replace the two others which they say shipped in December though everything seems to indicate that they weren't.  Hopefully this time they will come.

Seeing the ever-growing number of huge models, I wonder when we'll see an aircraft with the drum piece of the 42112 Cement mixer

2 hours ago, Jockos said:

Seeing the ever-growing number of huge models, I wonder when we'll see an aircraft with the drum piece of the 42112 Cement mixer

I don't think aircraft sets will become much bigger than they currently are, the wings or rotors will get much too big to be practical. Aircraft tend to have naturally much wider dimensions in relation to part count than other kinds of sets (except cranes with booms fully extended).

14 hours ago, Jockos said:

As a alternative model of 42112, I made this airship.

Edited by msk6003

19 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

As a alternative model of 42112, I made this airship.

That's really cool! Actually, what I thought about is the air intake piece like in 42052 but with the size of the Cement mixer drum piece.

Yesterday I went to a local Lego event, the largest of its kind in Finland with few tens of thousands of visitors and hundreds of exhibitors with their builds. Lots of stuff to see, but relevant to my interests in Technic were the sets which I don't own, as many people had brought out their collections. It was nice to see for example every supercar set since the beginning of Technic, side-by-side. Sadly, nobody had brought the Liebherr crane though as I would've been curious to see how it looks like in real life. There weren't much of other cranes or other complex machinery either. Some really nice scale models though, both in System and in Technic and there was also a sort of GBC, operated by single person, and it took the form of a ball-race where 20 uniquely coloured balls are run through the machinery and spectators get to guess which gets to the finish fastest.

All in all it was a nice event to visit, though very crowded, as the popularity was apparently much greater than what organizers expected. For the event next year I think I'll make an attempt to participate as an exhibitor.

A sad day for our community. From Sariel:

Bad news: LEGO has informed me that I no longer meet the criteria to get review support, meaning that the only LEGO sets I can review from now on are the ones I buy in a shop. No more early reviews and probably no reviews whatsoever. They have, of course, every right to do so, it's just sad to see so many years of work going down the drain because the LEGO company has recently adopted this very official and corporate approach to its fans. I wasn't really given specific reasons so don't ask - your guess is as good as mine. I'd love to continue reviewing sets for you but between YouTube driving my channel into near-non-existence (and near-zero revenue) and my job being affected by recession, it's going to be difficult for me to afford buying larger sets. One thing for sure, I will continue building my own projects. At least they can't take that away.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx4C1KBUyuy9CTzVEPaHuNu1Vom39aXyWg

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

37 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

A sad day for our community. From Sariel:

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx4C1KBUyuy9CTzVEPaHuNu1Vom39aXyWg

That is a shame! He's been my go-to for video reviews for a long time, because I appreciate the orderly layout where I can quickly find the information I'm looking for, and the subtitles that don't require me to have audio on.

While I often found myself disagreeing with Sariel, he has been a really prominent reviewer and I hope that this is not a sign of a larger trend where TLG will discontinue official relations with reviewers who actually give proper critique of the sets (as opposed to those who just praise everything, no matter how bad it is). That would be very bad for us fans looking for honest information about new sets and in in the long run bad for TLG also. I almost never buy any sets without looking at reviews first, and not getting honest reviews would mean at least less first day purchases if not less overall purchases for myself.

I have also seen this popping up on FB today, and was quiet surprised to read it, sad indeed. I did also watch many of his reviews, even though I always skipped through the speed build section.

What made me think is what could have been the reason, I wonder what's TLG's criteria? I know we'll never get a proper answer for that, so we can only speculate, but I can't think of too many reasons beside the hard criticism or maybe TLG finds other reviewers more popular nowadays?

Whatever the reason is behind this decision, I can assure you it has nothing to do with the reviews themselves or the opinion of the reviewers. 

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

I can assure you it has nothing to do with the reviews themselves or the opinion of the reviewers.

But that only leaves a few - or better only one - reason left, doesn't it?

1. Limit the number of reviewers due to budget constraints (I'd say the more opinions, the better - and constructive criticism is bolstering "quality", so why cutting down) 
  2. Anything else?

Best,
Thorsten

Maybe it's a view count thing? Pure speculation, but Sariels review of 42160 got 26k views, while @kbalage got 230K for the same set. It is a shame though, the youtube algorithm can make and then break you through no fault or lack of effort on your part. And while it is nice to get free sets, if I think of my hourly rate at work, and multiply that by the hours it takes to film and edit a review, the cost of the set doesn't cover that, so it really isn't for free. I didn't agree with his scoring system or many of his opinions but I still enjoyed watching his, and any video review of a new set as it lets me see it in action, and it's mechanical realism, and make up my own mind. Personally I think his choice of music wasn't bad either. 

8 minutes ago, allanp said:

Maybe it's a view count thing?

That sounds reasonable. It really is a shame though, you pointed out the reasons, I 100% agree with. As misleading as these algorithms are and will always be, the numbers still seem to count, as they can be added up. "Quality" or "time invested for a review" cannot be counted up. And I totally agree on your assessment of free set value vs time/cost invested for the review. However, a review is (I believe) done during "leisure time" - and it should be fun to do so?

Best,
Thorsten