MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

9 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

This is true, but it's also the case that they were coming off a huge glut of new OT molds: 2014 alone had Chewbacca, Imperial gunner helmets, Imperial officer caps, Bith heads, B-wing pilot helmets, the Ithorian head, and the RA-7 heads (the later two technically for Yoda Chronicles, granted), and 2015 had the new Vader, which was two molds. There's no denying that there are gaps in the OT, but at this point I think they're a lot smaller than the ones in the PT and parts of TCW. Boss Nass, Satine (who need new molds) and Shmi Skywalker (who doesn't) are way more important characters than anybody in the OT who hasn't gotten a figure yet, and Padme is extremely underrepresented relative to any of the other main characters since she would need new molds to do justice to many of her outfits. I absolutely adore all the random background characters, but to whatever degree they have a 'new mold budget', I'd rather see them at least knock out everybody who played a significant plot role in the PT before diving into all the one- or zero-line characters from the OT.

Oh yeah I definitely am aware that the PT got sidelined even more. Padme's hair is the only mold I can immediately think of, and there were only a handful of new figs. Boss Nass, Kiminoan, and Wat Tambor are within my top six desired figs.

My initial focus on only OT was due to the beautiful new cantina set. Before we had any details on this set, Ponda, Imperial Spy, and Dr Evazan were quite noticeable as missing for 20 years. Importance or screentime is not always the reason people sorely want a fig, 'Cough" Boba Fett. I think Nein Nunb is a significantly missing character, and hell, he was in the sequel trilogy!

7 hours ago, Sneakguest said:
9 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I honestly genuinely cannot fathom how people could have been disappointed with Cloud City. It was one of those sets that literally checked every box as far as expectations. It was the perfect Cloud City set. Difficult to display but other than that, absolutely perfect

I think its just that what you Say, displayability was the issue. Maybe it would have been difficult to make an unfolding funktion, but they could have made a removable Rolf and adding anotgrr 50 euros on the price tag

I purchased the Cloud City set even if I would like it to be more like the Death Star. To me the set was good enough and balanced (specially with the discount) to justify having the pieces and the minifigs and make the changes to fit my taste just myself. It's Lego. I wouldn't put there the mid scale Slave I and save the pieces for other usages, but that's just me.

Here with the Cantina Lego is hitting the spot, IMO. They are calling it MBS, so this isn't technically a collectors set. However, it's displayability is very good; minifig selection is excellent, it could be better (e.g. with a Bantha fig), but it is excellent; and playability is also very good. I use to buy larger SW sets for me, but I really like seeing my children playing with them, like with the Death Star or the Cloud City and modify/extend them. In this case, l'll rebuild my larger Cantina MOC as other side Tatooine buildings with my children just for fun. It's perfect to be displayed close to the UCS Sandcrawler.

Edited by dvogon

21 hours ago, MandRproductions said:

omitted from 75244 & would never return too. I still don't like that 75244 is now in no-mans land.

Not putting the 75244 in the UCS series seems like an absolutely correct decision nowadays...

Can anybody tell me what that crystal/hologram thingy is supposed to represent?
If indeed a hologram, of who or what? :innocent:
Thanks!

Regards,
Mitch

1 minute ago, CF Mitch said:

Thanks!

Regards,
Mitch

I don't think we know yet

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Ponda, Imperial Spy, and Dr Evazan were quite noticeable as missing for 20 years.

"Quite noticeable as missing" seems like a bit of an overstatement to me in regards to these characters. It's probably because I'm not the biggest OT fan, but it's still nice to see Lego making figures for characters we haven't gotten before.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Importance or screentime is not always the reason people sorely want a fig

I agree that this isn't always the case, but those reasons should be taken into account when Lego decides what new figures to make. I think gaps in the main/plot-relevant characters should be filled before we start getting background characters in an ideal world. Of course, that isn't the world we inhabit.

Also, importance should be a slightly bigger factor than screentime in determining whether a figure gets made in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, CF Mitch said:

Thanks!

Regards,
Mitch

It's clearly from a deleted scene where Obi-Wan uses the force to conjure the image of Darth Vader using some blue milk.

35 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I don't think we know yet

Alright, thanks!

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

It's clearly from a deleted scene where Obi-Wan uses the force to conjure the image of Darth Vader using some blue milk.

Whut? *huh* :grin:

Regards,
Mitch

There's a rumoured new The Mandalorian set info on Instagram - Moff Gideon's TIE Fighter for $70.

Not sure if it's legit (it actually comes from a leaker that has a pretty legit account), but I hope it is. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

Just now, Makin Bacon said:

UCS Gungan Sub confirmed

D@mmit! I didn't think anyone would see through that so easily!

6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I honestly genuinely cannot fathom how people could have been disappointed with Cloud City. It was one of those sets that literally checked every box as far as expectations. It was the perfect Cloud City set. Difficult to display but other than that, absolutely perfect

I'm 100% in agreement here. The only alternative to creating an ultimate Cloud City playset would be releasing a series of interconnected vignettes as individual sets....but even then, I'm not convinced the end result could have been much better.

Edited by The_Chosen_1

45 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

I'm 100% in agreement here. The only alternative to creating an ultimate Cloud City playset would be releasing a series of interconnected vignettes as individual sets....but even then, I'm not convinced the end result could have been much better.

Yeah, I think Mos Eisley is much more conducive to being a model that has playability on the interior but also looks okay if you enclose it completely, since there's a lot of interesting exterior details and the ability to set up a scene outside with the Dewback, speeders, maybe you bring in Luke's Landspeeder if you have it, etc.  With Cloud City, it may not be the best display piece, but I'd argue that putting a roof on that makes it even worse of a displayable model.  It's legitimately just a gray box with a landing platform on one side at that point, and you can't really do much to set up figures outside or make it more interesting.  I really like CC, I think they captured the essential scenes very well, they managed to get the overall shape of Cloud City accurately, and made the non-scene areas (like the hallways or landing platform) look accurate and capture the feel of Cloud City.  No, it's not perfect, but it's just not a location that you can perfectly capture in LEGO form without sacrificing either playability or accuracy, and what we got, being a much beefier version of the 2003 set, does a pretty great job in my opinion.

On the topic of Mos Eisley specifically, when does everyone suppose we'll get an official press reveal?  I'd have assumed they may have moved the reveal up after these leaked, but I guess they're waiting.  Do they usually do them on weekends, or if this doesn't happen today, should we assume it won't be until Monday?

Edited by Kit Figsto

14 hours ago, Archer said:

Someone will inevitably point out something I'm forgetting, but this set has potentially half as many new molds as we've gotten for the whole OT since the ST started. Starting in 2016 Im counting maybe 6 if I'm generous and give them Han's hair which was updated because of Solo. (I'm not including Hologram Leia)

-Stormtrooper Update -Scout Trooper Update -4-LOM -Zuckus -The Helmet Briefly Known as Rebel Helmet-Han Hair

Han hair was made a few years before solo, wasn't it? Aside from that you're right, unless you want to include the new hood that was more of a saga-generic part. It makes sense though, ST and Rogue One needed new molds more, being new films, and there's not really much more that the OT needs in terms of molds. Honestly most of their  OT mold updates haven't been well received. Vader, Stormtrooper, and chewie all had some backlash, I think. And of course the rebel pilot helmet (I like the "helmet briefly known as rebel helmet", it can go alongside "set formerly known as razor crest") that was just objectively bad, to the point that the scrapped it after one set.

10 hours ago, Redroe said:

This is a tangential note I admit but one which has been on my mind for a while- Lego has been much much better at including key characters in entry levek sets the last few years. I bought a few for my nephew and between 2016 and '18 he got Luke, Han, Ben, Chewie, both droids, Yoda, Vader, the Emperor and Boba Fett: a couple of background characters and redshirts and some fun small vehicles. All for three £20 sets and one £30 one. I threw in a Leia cos I am a good uncle but TLG has since done two sets under £30 with Leia.

For all we moan about the theme being stale of late it couldn't have been better for kids starting out. Back when I were a lad I could 't get a Fett, Vader or Emperor that wasn't in a (taking inflation) expensive set. And as for Leia, forget it.

Yup! The duels and $20-30 location sets have been great with this. The entire main cast of each trilogy has been in a $10-30 set within the last 3 years.

3 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

Thanks!

Regards,
Mitch

I'm 99% sure it's the 5-point crystal in that image, though I have no idea why it's there.

As with every time I talk about the crystal/hologram, I'll once again posit the idea that it's stormtroopers on crystal spice.

11 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

On the topic of Mos Eisley specifically, when does everyone suppose we'll get an official press reveal?  I'd have assumed they may have moved the reveal up after these leaked,

Nein.

Do they usually do them on weekends,

Nein.

or if this doesn't happen today, should we assume it won't be until Monday?

Nein.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

Nein.

Nein.

Nein.

Why are you saying "Nei-....Ohhh I get it now :laugh:

Edited by Kit Figsto

4 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would buy that Moff Gideon TIE set in a heartbeat, I really really hope that’s true

While is definitely seems questionable according to Jdubbs at the moment, when they finally make some more Mando sets (which I assume they will) that would have to be close to the top of the list.

Great chance to get Gideon, and a slightly different version of an iconic ship. I see them playing it safe, like the AT-ST versus a Nevarro playset etc.

5 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Not putting the 75244 in the UCS series seems like an absolutely correct decision nowadays...

Right. I think they should've called it MBS. 

29 minutes ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

While is definitely seems questionable according to Jdubbs at the moment, when they finally make some more Mando sets (which I assume they will) that would have to be close to the top of the list.

Great chance to get Gideon, and a slightly different version of an iconic ship. I see them playing it safe, like the AT-ST versus a Nevarro playset etc.

How much would a posh foldy-wing landing gear TIE be if a regular one is 65 quid? I shudder to think. If they can't make a bomber at a reasonable price, I can't see them even attempting a.... outlander is it?

2 minutes ago, Redroe said:

How much would a posh foldy-wing landing gear TIE be if a regular one is 65 quid? I shudder to think. If they can't make a bomber at a reasonable price, I can't see them even attempting a.... outlander is it?

The rumor is $70, which is the same US retail price as the 75211: Imperial TIE Fighter set from Solo.